PDA

View Full Version : Cutler drama will highlight league meetings

DenBronx
03-22-2009, 12:34 AM
Romo a Bronco???

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/21/cutler-drama-will-highlight-league-meetings/

By leaking on Friday that more than ten teams have inquired about quarterback Jay Cutler, the Denver Broncos essentially announced that the auction is open.

Just as the 32 NFL franchise gather for the annual league meetings in California on Sunday.

Since Denver’s deteriorating relationship with Cutler provides no inherent leverage for trade talks, the Broncos need two or more teams to commence the process of jockeying for his services.

John Keim of dcexaminer.com recently reiterated something we’ve been hearing for nearly a week — the Redskins are interested.

Many other teams also could be, since Cutler provides a better option than the current starter in many NFL cities.

In our view, Cutler would provide an instant upgrade for the Bills, Jets, Dolphins, Browns, Titans, Jaguars, Texans, Raiders, Redskins, Bears, Vikings, Lions, Buccaneers, and 49ers.

Other teams, like the Panthers, Seahawks, Eagles, and Rams, should at least explore whether it makes sense to make a play for Cutler — and then to part ways with their current veteran signal-callers.

Here’s another factor to keep in mind: Any team pondering the possibility of hiring Mike Shanahan in 2010 should be considering Jay Cutler in 2009. (For that reason alone, it makes sense that the Redskins would be interested.)

It also makes us wonder whether Jerry Jones has toyed with what would be a blockbuster deal bringing Cutler to the Cowboys and sending Tony Romo to the Broncos or, alternatively, to a third team that would then ship multiple players and/or picks to Denver.

Bottom line? It’s crazy that the situation between Cutler and the Broncos has gotten to this point, and it would be foolish to rule out a resolution that, in hindsight, would appear even crazier.

DenBronx
03-22-2009, 12:44 AM
http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/41634482.html

CLEVELAND: If the Browns are trying to trade quarterback Brady Quinn in a scenario involving disgruntled Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, Quinn has caught no hint of it.

Speaking at halftime of the Cavaliers game today at Quicken Loans Arena, Quinn said he hasn't spoken to coach Eric Mangini or General Manager George Kokinis about the Cutler rumors.

One of the most prominent would also involve the New York Jets, with Cutler going to the Jets, Quinn to the Broncos and the Browns receiving draft choices.

The scenario has been thrown out as logical because Quinn spent two years at Notre Dame under coach Charlie Weis, the former New England Patriots offensive coordinator. New Broncos coach Josh McDaniels spent his entire pro career in New England and will run an offensive attack similar to the Patriots'.

Asked whether he'd talked to Mangini or Kokinis about being traded, Quinn said: ''Not to ask questions like that because there's no need to. If that were actually true or were going to happen, I think they eventually would let me know and talk about it.''

So he puts no stock in the talk?

''None whatsoever,'' Quinn said.

''There's nothing really you can do about it. Obviously, I want to be in Cleveland. I grew up rooting for 'em; I'm totally living my dream now. It's out of your control.''

Quinn finds the presumption about the Weis offense and the Broncos interesting, because new Browns offensive coordinator Brian Daboll served as receivers coach when Weis was with the Patriots.

''It's funny because people underestimate the fact that Brian Daboll was under coach Weis as well,'' he said. ''You can say that for both of us. There's always rumors; it's the drama of the NFL.''

Quinn said he stayed in Cleveland after the season and has been working with Daboll.

''So far, the rapport with him has been great, going up and meeting with him,'' Quinn said. ''It's been a lot of fun from that standpoint.''

Most observers presume that either Quinn or Derek Anderson will be traded before training camp begins, perhaps on draft day.

Anderson struggled in 2008 after a Pro Bowl season in 2007, but Quinn started only three games last year before suffering a broken finger.

Asked whether he and Anderson will both be with the Browns this season, Quinn said: ''I don't know. You're asking the wrong guy. I go in there, I put my hat on and I go to work. You should try talking to the other guys.''

Shazam!
03-22-2009, 12:49 AM
The Jets are a pipe dream. It ain't happening. They're all creaming in their pants here over it but they don't have enough to give. Denver will want more compensation than just Quinn, who is the one QB I would think is an actual viable replacement. I wish the NY media would stop talking about it already. Geez. Besides if Cutler DOES find his way to NY puke green, there goes his career. That's where QBs go to die.

DenBronx
03-22-2009, 12:52 AM
The Jets are a pipe dream. It ain't happening. They're all creaming in their pants here over it but they don't have enough to give. Denver will want more compensation than just Quinn, who is the one QB I would think is an actual viable replacement. I wish the NY media would stop talking about it already. Geez. Besides if Cutler DOES find his way to NY puke green, there goes his career. That's where QBs go to die.

agreed but all it will help do is drive his trade value up. seriously two 1st and a player....a damn good player too.

Shazam!
03-22-2009, 01:04 AM
Quinn and a 1st or 2 1sts and a 3rd.

dogfish
03-22-2009, 01:06 AM
agreed but all it will help do is drive his trade value up. seriously two 1st and a player....a damn good player too.

more like a 7th and a taco bell bean burrito-- he's a whiner, that's all he's worth. . . at this point, we should probably just pay somebody to take him off our hands so we don't have to hear about it any more. . . .

DenBronx
03-22-2009, 05:48 AM
more like a 7th and a taco bell bean burrito-- he's a whiner, that's all he's worth. . . at this point, we should probably just pay somebody to take him off our hands so we don't have to hear about it any more. . . .

lol yeah i dont even know why we traded up for this scrub. clearly he cant play football at a high level.

claymore
03-22-2009, 06:45 AM
We havent heard any saber rattling for a week. I think this all gets worked out.

DenBronx
03-22-2009, 02:22 PM
We havent heard any saber rattling for a week. I think this all gets worked out.

i really hope so too man but i just dont see it happening.