PDA

View Full Version : Cutler's agent Cooks up another drama

BroncoJoe
03-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Sorry if this has been posted already - I didn't see it anywhere and it's a good read.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9345936/Cutler%27s-agent-Cooks-up-another-drama

by John Czarnecki

There are a number of issues to consider in this Jay Cutler "I want to be traded" drama. First, Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels isn't Bill Belichick. He's only 32 and he's new to being the boss. He's also not used to being around a pouty, immature quarterback.

Then, there is Cutler's agent, Bus Cook. Fans became familiar with Cook last summer because he is Brett Favre's agent. And we all know how that once great Favre-Green Bay marriage turned out. It went up in flames and now Favre is retired and looking for TV work.

Cook has forever claimed that he couldn't reason with Favre and protect him from himself. That's why Favre landed with the Jets and not with Jon Gruden and the Bucs. I always thought a wise, old agent like Cook would have pulled those strings a little better than he did.

But give Cook credit. He's been pulling the strings nicely for Cutler. Everyone should know that Cutler has wanted out of Denver ever since Mike Shanahan was fired and quarterback coach Jeremy Bates left for USC shortly afterward.

Before McDaniels and the Broncos pursued a failed trade for Matt Cassel, Cook had already been begging to get his client out. Denver told him no from the beginning. But somehow Cook has been able — how hilarious is this? — to paint Cutler as some victim in the cruel world of NFL trade talk. At the moment, the Broncos seem to be losing the PR war.

Cutler is from Santa Claus, Indiana. So, he wouldn't mind playing in the Midwest, but probably not Detroit. He wouldn't mind Tampa, either, considering the Bucs were very serious about possibly acquiring him in the botched three-way trade with New England.

A wise man once told me it's not about more money, but dollars always seem to be an issue. Cassel, who has played one NFL season since high school, is on the financial ledger for $14.6 million this season. Cutler, a first-round bonus baby, has a $2.3 million salary for 2009. The only way Cook is going to receive a better commission (and a higher salary for his 25-year-old quarterback) is by forcing Denver to trade Cutler, who is entering the fourth year of a six-year contract.

I don't know what to make of Cutler. He turned me off last season when he said his arm was better than John Elway's. He talks about McDaniels not being smart enough to simply pull him aside and talk to him one-on-one and sing sweet accolades into his ear.

One NFL general manager emailed me, saying Cutler's immaturity has plagued him throughout his Broncos' tenure. Consequently, prospective suitors are forewarned that Cutler may look great on Sunday, zipping passes on the field, but that he has poor practice habits, has never been a lover of watching film or isn't a leader like Tom Brady. Oh, and his won-lost record is 17-20.

It is going to be hard for McDaniels to turn this situation around. But there is no question that he needs to be able to talk with Cutler alone. Cutler needs to make his own decisions without Cook in the room. In Green Bay, the Packers never felt that Cook helped matters when dealing with Favre. The same situation has mushroomed in Denver, where McDaniels feels he might get somewhere with Cutler if he's minus Cook. The agent is complicating matters.

By now, knowing what he knows about Cutler, the young head coach is torn about what course to pursue. But it is never good to be trading a star player while in a weakened position. Teams never seem to receive the proper compensation — like two first-round picks — when a petulant player is making demands and failing to show for work. Yes, this week's minicamp is optional, but you would think that a young quarterback would want to find out how McDaniels is as a coach before turning his back on him.

The league's owner meetings begin Sunday in Dana Point, Ca. and Denver's Pat Bowlen and McDaniels will be able to talk directly to any potential bidders for Cutler. Tampa Bay, Detroit and Minnesota make the most sense because all three teams need a starting quarterback. Yes, the Vikings just signed Sage Rosenfels to compete with Tarvaris Jackson, but no one really views him as a long-term solution.

The dilemma for Denver is what quarterback do they pursue or accept as compensation? The cupboard is pretty bare, and that's why Cleveland is mentioned (Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson) and Arizona (Matt Leinart). The Jets may join the pursuit, too. The Bears, who were Cutler's favorite team while growing up in Indiana, make a lot of sense, but they seem to be pinching pennies again. Also, I don't see Kyle Orton as Denver's next quarterback. Right now, forgotten Chris Simms is running with the first team in Denver.

It would be ridiculous for Denver to trade Cutler to Detroit for the first overall pick, and thus be forced to pay either Georgia's Matt Stafford or USC's Mark Sanchez about $33 million in guaranteed money if they deem either one of those prospects as a decent replacement. Both Tampa and Detroit have mid-first round picks, but it's unlikely either of those quarterbacks would be available at No. 19 or No. 20, respectively.

The bottom line is that the Broncos would be better off keeping Cutler and finding a way to make it work. But we all know that isn't going to happen.

WARHORSE
03-21-2009, 12:14 PM
I cant find the good read part.

Cutler has poor practice habits?

His own teamates vouch for a different view.

And this continued notion that Cutler has wanted out of Denver from the get go is pretty ignorant considering what we already know.

BroncoJoe
03-21-2009, 12:51 PM

And this continued notion that Cutler has wanted out of Denver from the get go is pretty ignorant considering what we already know.

Simply a different perspective. No one knows whether or not it is accurate, just like your above statements.

Benetto
03-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Bus Cook is a manipulating SOB trying to squeeze every penny he can out of Jay....Just like he did Brett, for more than a decade.

At the end of the day, this is a money making business...And agents have to be ruthless to try and have their high profile clients paid top dollar...Jay though should be smarter and more mature to make his own decisions and meet one on one with his current employers. Thus making Bus Cook a Lying, cheating, manipulating mother F'er.....And Cutler a naive puppet who shits gold.

frauschieze
03-21-2009, 01:03 PM
This is posted someplace else, but I'll be damned if I can remember where. There are so many of these threads......

Lonestar
03-21-2009, 01:09 PM

just food for thought perhaps all of the glowing reports about Jay in the past were from mikey and coaching staff that has an agenda or other teammates like Marshall/Scheffler or others that want the ball more..

Or just that anyone else on the team that wanted to stay out of mikeys dog house as a blind man could see the man love there..

If it were player and saw that Jay pretty much had a blind eye for anyone not named Marshall/Scheffler and the coaching staff basically said go d for it who is gonna jump up and say they are doing a bad job..

princess jay has had mikeys and Jeremie's ear and could do not wrong in their eyes as they knew the only thing between them and the unemployment line was a booming offense.. especially after seeing how bad the D was..

And we all know the reason for that..

Lonestar
03-21-2009, 01:11 PM
This is posted someplace else, but I'll be damned if I can remember where. There are so many of these threads......

I saw it also but not gonna waste time trying to find it.. let is ride

what the hell

why not have 87 concurrent threads going about the great and wonderous jay..

BroncoJoe
03-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Yeah, all Cutler's mistakes were because we were playing from behind and our defense sucked.

Posted in another thread, regarding our eight losses:

KC -3 @ end of the 3rd Q (2 INT's, 2 Fumbles)
Jags -3 @ the 1/2 (1 int, 2 fumbles)
NE - Blowout (2 int, 3 fumbles)
MIA -6 @ end of the third (3 int)
OAK -7 @ end of the third (1 int, 1 fumble)
CAR - Blowout (1 int, 1 fumble)
BUF +4 @ end of the third (1 int [CRITICAL], 1 fumble)
SD - Blowout (2 int)

Only three or four games where it was out of reach by the end of the 3rd.

BroncoJoe
03-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Regarding the Dolphins game, the Dolphins scored 13 of their points off turnovers. In the last five games, (previous to the Dolphins game) the Broncos have allowed 60 points off turnovers while not scoring a single point off takeaways themselves.

So, is that offense or defense? 2nd "ranked" offense in the NFL, but could only muster the position of 16 in scoring.

Our defense sucked, but the offense wasn't the Juggernaut everyone thinks it is.

Neither is our whining QB. Yet.

Lonestar
03-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Yeah, all Cutler's mistakes were because we were playing from behind and our defense sucked.

Posted in another thread, regarding our eight losses:

KC -3 @ end of the 3rd Q (2 INT's, 2 Fumbles)
Jags -3 @ the 1/2 (1 int, 2 fumbles)
NE - Blowout (2 int, 3 fumbles)
MIA -6 @ end of the third (3 int)
OAK -7 @ end of the third (1 int, 1 fumble)
CAR - Blowout (1 int, 1 fumble)
BUF +4 @ end of the third (1 int [CRITICAL], 1 fumble)
SD - Blowout (2 int)

Only three or four games where it was out of reach by the end of the 3rd.

the bottom line though is regardless of the reason he was QB of record..

Whether the defense allowed sustained drives or the OLINE sucked or the RB could not gain yardage he was the QB and trying harder does not always get success..

He caused some to the issues and folks need to realize while he has potential so far he has not been a winner since high school.. Does that mean without a GREAT supporting cast and system he will not win more than he loses.. Only time WILL tell..

broncohead
03-21-2009, 01:52 PM
the bottom line though is regardless of the reason he was QB of record..

Whether the defense allowed sustained drives or the OLINE sucked or the RB could not gain yardage he was the QB and trying harder does not always get success..

He caused some to the issues and folks need to realize while he has potential so far he has not been a winner since high school.. Does that mean without a GREAT supporting cast and system he will not win more than he loses.. Only time WILL tell..

With the exception of Brady and P. Manning no other QB would have a better record with this defense.

Lonestar
03-21-2009, 01:59 PM
With the exception of Brady and P. Manning no other QB would have a better record with this defense.

I'm not caring or talking about DEN I think jay has more issues than just having a strong arm..

mikey allowed him to get away with almost ignoring short possession type plays to build his and Marshall's stats.. hard to get fired if you have a great #2 offense with 7 RB's on IR.. I think this was the Bunker mentality after about mid season..

broncohead
03-21-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm not caring or talking about DEN I think jay has more issues than just having a strong arm..

mikey allowed him to get away with almost ignoring short possession type plays to build his and Marshall's stats.. hard to get fired if you have a great #2 offense with 7 RB's on IR.. I think this was the Bunker mentality after about mid season..

So you think Shanny was trying to pad Cutlers and Marshalls stats? I don't think that at all. I think Cutler was over confident in Marshall and if his first read was covered or he was under pressure it went to him.

Lonestar
03-21-2009, 02:04 PM
So you think Shanny was trying to pad Cutlers and Marshalls stats? I don't think that at all. I think Cutler was over confident in Marshall and if his first read was covered or he was under pressure it went to him.

I think it was a mutual admiration society about this.. Everyone in the stands and on TV saw that almost every time jay forced a ball into double or triple coverage someone underneath was open.. But jay locks onto a WR (Marshall) and will not see the others were open.. If we saw this on game day there would be NO EXCUSES during film study..

What other conclusion could a logical person come to?

At a certain point I think mikey knew he was in deep do do and thought it was a/his salvation per see..

silkamilkamonico
03-21-2009, 02:30 PM
I still don't understand why Cutler is trying to "spin this".

It's clear he wanted out before McDaniels even allegedly tried to trade him.

McDaniels tries to do him a solid by granting him what he wants, he tries to spin it to make him a "victim".

Man, circus act, with Cutler as the ring leader.

No wonder were such a soft organization.

Lonestar
03-21-2009, 02:37 PM
I still don't understand why Cutler is trying to "spin this".

It's clear he wanted out before McDaniels even allegedly tried to trade him.

McDaniels tries to do him a solid by granting him what he wants, he tries to spin it to make him a "victim".

Man, circus act, with Cutler as the ring leader.

No wonder were such a soft organization.

he got his feelings hurt when mikey left it was his lifeline and then when bates bailed that was the straw that broke the camels back ..IMO

at that point there is no doubt in my mind he has been looking for any reason to bail.. He commented to his agent who is frankly the Meister at causing issues and wallah we have jay whining about something he wanted to start with..

Once he got a whiff at the new play book and saw he was not going to get to throw deep all the time it was cry baby time..

mikey allowed us to et soft with the no hitting and soft drills in TC..

silkamilkamonico
03-21-2009, 02:57 PM
he got his feelings hurt when mikey left it was his lifeline and then when bates bailed that was the straw that broke the camels back ..IMO

at that point there is no doubt in my mind he has been looking for any reason to bail.. He commented to his agent who is frankly the Meister at causing issues and wallah we have jay whining about something he wanted to start with..

Once he got a whiff at the new play book and saw he was not going to get to throw deep all the time it was cry baby time..

mikey allowed us to et soft with the no hitting and soft drills in TC..

I agree. And not to dig any more salt in the Cutler wounds, but he's looking worse by the day in this. Belichek comes out and says no offer was even made to him by Denver, whoops on that one huh Cutler?

He can try and rebuild his manhood by swallowing his pride, coming back, and working his azz off, or he can continue what he's doing, and show his future employer that he's always going to walk away in the face of adversity.

Man he had it easy with Shanahan.

Lonestar
03-21-2009, 03:03 PM
I agree. And not to dig any more salt in the Cutler wounds, but he's looking worse by the day in this. Belichek comes out and says no offer was even made to him by Denver, whoops on that one huh Cutler?

He can try and rebuild his manhood by swallowing his pride, coming back, and working his azz off, or he can continue what he's doing, and show his future employer that he's always going to walk away in the face of adversity.Man he had it easy with Shanahan.

great post

I hope that many of the fans that have a huge hard on for jay will get it.. but it may be way over their heads..

The hilited portion is huge..

many think anyone will go for him JUST because he had a good year.. without looking at why it happened.. they think it was all jay and his "arm"..

omac
03-21-2009, 04:27 PM

He can try and rebuild his manhood by swallowing his pride, coming back, and working his azz off, or he can continue what he's doing, and show his future employer that he's always going to walk away in the face of adversity.

Man he had it easy with Shanahan.

Your post makes no sense at all. He's faced a lot of adversity, from college when he played for the Detroit Lions of the SEC, to taking over from the incumbent starter in Plummer and performing under the shadow of Elway, to playing his 1st starting season with a terribly weak OL ... injured #1, #2, and #3 RBs and injured #1 WR ... no defense, to his 2nd starting season where he's again had one of the worst defenses in the NFL and 7 RBs on IR ... all of this while playing with diabetes.

What he's done in each situation was win offensive player of the year for the SEC while playing for the lousiest team in the SEC and making them more competitive than they've been in a long time, set a record for TDs for a first time starting QB that hadn't been done since Marino, had a pretty good 1st starting season as a QB, and led the Broncos to one of the top rated offenses while carrying the team on his way to a probowl. The last 2 accomplishments while going through the effects of diabetes, undiagnosed in his first starting year.

Everything in his history shows he faces adversity head on and handles it quite well, better in fact than most people.

The Broncos wanted to trade him and said it was all business. But as Sharpe says, how come when he asks for a trade, he becomes a malcontent whiner? It should also be just business just the same. The argument has to go both ways.

Talk about Cutler's propensity to trust his arm and his receivers a lot more than he should, and that's valid. Talk about him having a swagger to a fault, and that's valid. Talk about how he's tough on his teammates (as well as himself), and that's valid too. But talking about how he runs away from adversity? Cutler isn't a player who quits football when things don't go his way; all Cutler wanted was an assurance from McDaniels that he was his QB, but McDaniels made it perfectly clear to Cutler than he has no qualms trading him anytime an opportunity presents itself. McDaniels wanted to trade Cutler, and now Cutler will make it easier for McDaniels to do so. As the analysts say, the Broncos need Cutler more than Cutler needs the Broncos. Just business, right?

I hate it when people fabricate stuff about Cutler, when history obviously proves otherwise. :coffee:

bud
03-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Most of the silly theories that suggest Cutler is a lousy QB are rooted in (nothing more than) emotional feelings about how he has behaved since McDaniels actively went out seeking a trade.

People need to invent new realities to fit their world view. It's easier than admitting that this has been a mess from the beginning.

Bowlen broke a promise..

McDaniels went looking for a trade, lied, and refuses to talk to his quarterback like a human being..

Bus Cook thinks he can turn the whole thing into a big payday..

And, Cutler is caught up in the little things. All he really needs to do is play football. The rest will work itself out. If Cutler comes back and feels like McDaniels doesn't treat him right, his contract will run out (2 years left?). After that, Cutler can simply walk out the front door and go sign a huge contract anywhere he likes...

The only time Cutler should consider holding out and telling the team to trade him is after his contract expires. If Cutler makes up his mind to leave and the Broncos franchise him, that's the time to start skipping meetings and demand a trade... We're not there yet.

In the meantime, Cutler is better off just playing ball.

Anyhow, it's much easier to say Cutler sucks. Passing the blame around will make your brain hurt. And, we can't have that.

Kapaibro
03-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Can people get off the bloody McD went looking for a trade?

There are so many quotes and statements clearly showing that Denver did NOT instigate any trade talks about Jay, that taking this kind of stance is just ignoring the facts.

OTHER teams called Denver. Not the other way around.

bud
03-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Can people get off the bloody McD went looking for a trade?

There are so many quotes and statements clearly showing that Denver did NOT instigate any trade talks about Jay, that taking this kind of stance is just ignoring the facts.

OTHER teams called Denver. Not the other way around.

Which quotes on which day? :D

Did McDaniels ever get his story straight?

Watchthemiddle
03-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Simply a different perspective. No one knows whether or not it is accurate, just like your above statements.

YUP....I love all the statements of "his teamates would vouch for him differently" with NO proof to back it up.

Watchthemiddle
03-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Everything in his history shows he faces adversity head on and handles it quite well, better in fact than most people.

:rofl:

Well then he must have forgotten how to handle adversity because he ain't doing it very well now.

:shot:

silkamilkamonico
03-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Your post makes no sense at all. He's faced a lot of adversity, from college when he played for the Detroit Lions of the SEC, to taking over from the incumbent starter in Plummer and performing under the shadow of Elway, to playing his 1st starting season with a terribly weak OL ... injured #1, #2, and #3 RBs and injured #1 WR ... no defense, to his 2nd starting season where he's again had one of the worst defenses in the NFL and 7 RBs on IR ... all of this while playing with diabetes.

What he's done in each situation was win offensive player of the year for the SEC while playing for the lousiest team in the SEC and making them more competitive than they've been in a long time, set a record for TDs for a first time starting QB that hadn't been done since Marino, had a pretty good 1st starting season as a QB, and led the Broncos to one of the top rated offenses while carrying the team on his way to a probowl. The last 2 accomplishments while going through the effects of diabetes, undiagnosed in his first starting year.

The Broncos wanted to trade him and said it was all business. But as Sharpe says, how come when he asks for a trade, he becomes a malcontent whiner? It should also be just business just the same. The argument has to go both ways.

Talk about Cutler's propensity to trust his arm and his receivers a lot more than he should, and that's valid. Talk about him having a swagger to a fault, and that's valid. Talk about how he's tough on his teammates (as well as himself), and that's valid too. But talking about how he runs away from adversity? Cutler isn't a player who quits football when things don't go his way; all Cutler wanted was an assurance from McDaniels that he was his QB, but McDaniels made it perfectly clear to Cutler than he has no qualms trading him anytime an opportunity presents itself. McDaniels wanted to trade Cutler, and now Cutler will make it easier for McDaniels to do so. As the analysts say, the Broncos need Cutler more than Cutler needs the Broncos. Just business, right?

I hate it when people fabricate stuff about Cutler, when history obviously proves otherwise. :coffee:

No. Cutler has had it easy as pie in Denver. Why? Every time Denver loses, the defense is immediately scapegoated. Even in the last 3 games when Cutler was throwing 2 TD's/4 INT total, he didn't feel any heat, the defdense did.

Vanderbuilt? Oh, he just plays for a bad team.

Cutler hasn't had any pressure in the NFL, and has had it easy. You want pressure, look at Donovan McNabb, who everytime he loses a game, the entire fanbase wants him traded. 4 NFCCG trips in a row, a a SuperBowl appearance, and last year losing to Arizona, at Arizona, in the NFCCG. And it's never good enough. THAT'S pressure.

Cutler has had it easy. And it isn't really his fault, but he hasn't faced any of the pressure some of these other QB's have. Not even as much as Elway.

Again, it isn't his fault, but IMHO your blind if your not seeing that.

MOtorboat
03-21-2009, 06:31 PM

Considering that Cutler and Cook are making up conversations with Pat Bowlen...

Kapaibro
03-21-2009, 06:46 PM

Care to show me proof that Denver started all this?:coffee:

bud
03-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Everyone involved has made the situation worse.

At some point, it doesn't matter. McDaniels did what he did. Bowlen hired the guy he liked best. And, Cutler should just go back to work and stop worrying.

omac
03-22-2009, 12:22 AM
No. Cutler has had it easy as pie in Denver. Why? Every time Denver loses, the defense is immediately scapegoated. Even in the last 3 games when Cutler was throwing 2 TD's/4 INT total, he didn't feel any heat, the defdense did.

Vanderbuilt? Oh, he just plays for a bad team.

Cutler hasn't had any pressure in the NFL, and has had it easy. You want pressure, look at Donovan McNabb, who everytime he loses a game, the entire fanbase wants him traded. 4 NFCCG trips in a row, a a SuperBowl appearance, and last year losing to Arizona, at Arizona, in the NFCCG. And it's never good enough. THAT'S pressure.

Cutler has had it easy. And it isn't really his fault, but he hasn't faced any of the pressure some of these other QB's have. Not even as much as Elway.

Again, it isn't his fault, but IMHO your blind if your not seeing that.

Had it easy? That's just bullshit!

Look no further than all the QBs who've taken over since Elway, the scrutiny they've faced, and how they've responded to it. Plummer himself flipped off fans, said his coach can kiss his ass, and went all road rage on someone. It is not easy playing under the shadow of Elway, the great expectations of fans who will always unfairly compare the Denver QB to Elway, while having amnesia of Elway's struggles before he finally won the superbowl.

Convenient of you, of course, to choose the games where we didn't have a rushing threat since Hillis went down, and also the fact that you left out his 2 rushing TDs against Buffalo. He was directly responsible for 2/3rds of the scoring in Buffalo. I can also choose games where he's excelled. Also, field position-wise to get into scoring range, the stats in the season will show that it's Cutler who got them there, having passed for around 4,500 yards.

Most analysts and fans believe that a poor defense will influence a quarterback to force passes, and will also directly affect a team's win-loss. Look no further than Jake Plummer's 1st 6 seasons in the league with Arizona, where 4 of those seasons, he threw 20 or more INTs, had only 1 season where he threw more TDs than INTs, and had a terrible losing record, most likely because Arizona's defense sucked. But there will always be people who harp on his record with a team with holes, as they similarly harped on his record at a weak Vanderbilt team.

Here's a scouting report on Jay Cutler coming out of college ...

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/47271/160

An excerpt ....

"Many of Cutler's strengths cannot be measured with statistics. He has displayed great leadership while with Vanderbilt. Also, he has shown tremendous heart and determination, never giving up on a team that wasn't nearly as talented as some others."

Check out his weaknesses, too, as they are valid arguments.

But saying he doesn't respond well to adversity is hogwash. McDaniels wanted to trade him for a QB he was comfortable with who he believes fits his system more; that's all and good, all business. And McDaniels said he will entertain trades for him. Cutler decided he wanted more security for his career, since he wasn't part of the new regime's plans, and requested for a trade, and now he's a malcontent? How come it's all business when a team tries to trade a player, but it's not all business when a player asks for a trade?

You want Cutler to play for the Broncos if McDaniels decides he wants him to play there, and get traded if McDaniels has the opportunity to trade him. Cutler should have even rights to his destiny. They can trade him, he can ask for a trade. All business.

silkamilkamonico
03-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Had it easy? That's just bullshit!

Look no further than all the QBs who've taken over since Elway, the scrutiny they've faced, and how they've responded to it. Plummer himself flipped off fans, said his coach can kiss his ass, and went all road rage on someone. It is not easy playing under the shadow of Elway, the great expectations of fans who will always unfairly compare the Denver QB to Elway, while having amnesia of Elway's struggles before he finally won the superbowl.

Convenient of you, of course, to choose the games where we didn't have a rushing threat since Hillis went down, and also the fact that you left out his 2 rushing TDs against Buffalo. He was directly responsible for 2/3rds of the scoring in Buffalo. I can also choose games where he's excelled. Also, field position-wise to get into scoring range, the stats in the season will show that it's Cutler who got them there, having passed for around 4,500 yards.

Most analysts and fans believe that a poor defense will influence a quarterback to force passes, and will also directly affect a team's win-loss. Look no further than Jake Plummer's 1st 6 seasons in the league with Arizona, where 4 of those seasons, he threw 20 or more INTs, had only 1 season where he threw more TDs than INTs, and had a terrible losing record, most likely because Arizona's defense sucked. But there will always be people who harp on his record with a team with holes, as they similarly harped on his record at a weak Vanderbilt team.

Here's a scouting report on Jay Cutler coming out of college ...

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/47271/160

An excerpt ....

"Many of Cutler's strengths cannot be measured with statistics. He has displayed great leadership while with Vanderbilt. Also, he has shown tremendous heart and determination, never giving up on a team that wasn't nearly as talented as some others."

Check out his weaknesses, too, as they are valid arguments.

But saying he doesn't respond well to adversity is hogwash. McDaniels wanted to trade him for a QB he was comfortable with who he believes fits his system more; that's all and good, all business. And McDaniels said he will entertain trades for him. Cutler decided he wanted more security for his career, since he wasn't part of the new regime's plans, and requested for a trade, and now he's a malcontent? How come it's all business when a team tries to trade a player, but it's not all business when a player asks for a trade?

You want Cutler to play for the Broncos if McDaniels decides he wants him to play there, and get traded if McDaniels has the opportunity to trade him. Cutler should have even rights to his destiny. They can trade him, he can ask for a trade. All business.

QB's with the best oline in the NFl shouldn't need a RB to be successful, if they do they aren't franchise QB's. I'm not saying Cutler is or isn't a franchise QB, but you said it yourself when you stated the comment about Hillis going down. Franchise QB's shouldn't need a RB to at least pull their weight on the field, and I'm talking about big make or break games, not regular week 9 type games. Nobody's saying he doesn't produce, I'm just saying he hasn't produced in a "big" game. And he hasn't.

He hasn't hadn't this versatility well. In fact, he's handled in lousy (let's just completely cut ties with the organization when he doesn't even know the entire story, which was evident in the latest Belichek statements). He also didn't handle losing the last 3 games either. From all I've heard and seen he blamed his defense, through the media.

And he's lucky he hasn't faced any real pressure, or heat as a football player. It's quite obviously to me that this is the first real "situation" he's had to deal with that he doesn't particularly care for, and it's starting to reveal some of his "character".

Shazam!
03-22-2009, 01:31 AM
Ummm, this Broncos OLine isn't the best in the NFL, not even close. This isn't 1998. The pass protection is very good but their run blocking has got to get better and be more consistent. QBs are more effective with a good running game and quality feature Back or RBBC, fact.

silkamilkamonico
03-22-2009, 01:33 AM
For Jay Cutler, yes they are. Who cares about a run game when you're arguing Jay Cutler stats and oline protection.

Shazam!
03-22-2009, 01:37 AM
I'm not arguing anything. The Broncos Line is good but best in the League? No.

And to say Jay is so great he doesn't even need a competent Back to succeed? That is just ridiculous.

silkamilkamonico
03-22-2009, 01:41 AM
I'm not arguing anything. The Broncos Line is good but best in the League? No.

And to say Jay is so great he doesn't even need a competent Back to succeed? That is just ridiculous.

Well, for one, you could easily make an argument for Denver having the best pass protection oline in the league, and for two, the argument isn't anything about Jay Cutler and "success". It's simply the argument that Jay played terrible was because Hillis went down, in which, if that's the case, would not make him a "franchise QB", which I did not agree with.

Shazam!
03-22-2009, 01:48 AM
Ok I gotcha now. I agree.

omac
03-22-2009, 01:52 AM
QB's with the best oline in the NFl shouldn't need a RB to be successful, if they do they aren't franchise QB's. I'm not saying Cutler is or isn't a franchise QB, but you said it yourself when you stated the comment about Hillis going down. Franchise QB's shouldn't need a RB to at least pull their weight on the field, and I'm talking about big make or break games, not regular week 9 type games. Nobody's saying he doesn't produce, I'm just saying he hasn't produced in a "big" game. And he hasn't.

He hasn't hadn't this versatility well. In fact, he's handled in lousy (let's just completely cut ties with the organization when he doesn't even know the entire story, which was evident in the latest Belichek statements). He also didn't handle losing the last 3 games either. From all I've heard and seen he blamed his defense, through the media.

And he's lucky he hasn't faced any real pressure, or heat as a football player. It's quite obviously to me that this is the first real "situation" he's had to deal with that he doesn't particularly care for, and it's starting to reveal some of his "character".

Guess Elway wasn't all that great, since he's lost big in the superbowls without really good RBs, and he needed HOF-type RB(edited) in TD to finally get it done. Discounting losing 7 RBs to IR is ridiculous.

When they played the Jets, it was a big game. The Broncos were supposed to easily lose that one, right? And though he only accounted for 2 TDs, he's led them to scoring position a lot, as evidenced by his 357 yards of passing. We were supposed to lose easily to Atlanta too, right? Cutler and the Broncos won that one, and they had to come from behind to do it. How about his performance in Cleveland where he threw 3 TDs in the 4th quarter for another comeback win?

Hasn't faced any real pressure? Whatever man, as I've already posted, he's faced adversity throughout college and the NFL, and he's responded quite well. As a business decision, I don't fault him at all for not trusting his career to a coach who, according to Sharpe and Al, started the relationship on a lie.

It's one thing to play for a coach you don't like, but have respect for. It's another totally different matter to put your career in the hands of a coach you don't trust. Shaun Hill knows that all to well, when he was sabbotaged by Mike Marts in SF, to elevate Martz' boy O'Sullivan. Same thing could happen to Cutler in Denver. McDaniels has given no reason why players should trust him; he sure hasn't earned it.