PDA

View Full Version : Chargers trade for WR Chris Chambers

dogfish
10-16-2007, 02:21 PM
according to PFT. . . .

POSTED 3:17 p.m. EDT, October 16, 2007

BOLTS GIVE UP A SECOND-ROUNDER FOR CHAMBERS

A league source tells us that the San Diego Chargers sent their second-round pick in 2008 to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for receiver Chris Chambers.

Chambers was a second-round pick in 2001, so getting a second-rounder seven years later is a decent deal for a franchise with plenty of holes to fill.

And Chambers has to be thrilled with the move. He goes from an 0-6 train wreck to a team that is 3-3 and on the upswing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POSTED 3:13 p.m. EDT, October 16, 2007

BOLTS BAG CHAMBERS

The San Diego Chargers have acquired receiver Chris Chambers from the Miami Dolphins, according to various media reports.

Chambers reportedly was on the block before the start of the season.

The move means that two former Wisconsin Badgers from the same draft class were traded on the same day -- running back Michael Bennett, a first-rounder in 2001, and Chambers, a second-rounder that same year.

Mike
10-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Good pick-up for the Bolts. A second rounder is kinda high though. I can't say that I'd be excited if the Broncos gave up a 2nd for him.

Medford Bronco
10-16-2007, 02:26 PM
according to PFT. . . .

POSTED 3:17 p.m. EDT, October 16, 2007

BOLTS GIVE UP A SECOND-ROUNDER FOR CHAMBERS

A league source tells us that the San Diego Chargers sent their second-round pick in 2008 to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for receiver Chris Chambers.

Chambers was a second-round pick in 2001, so getting a second-rounder seven years later is a decent deal for a franchise with plenty of holes to fill.

And Chambers has to be thrilled with the move. He goes from an 0-6 train wreck to a team that is 3-3 and on the upswing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POSTED 3:13 p.m. EDT, October 16, 2007

BOLTS BAG CHAMBERS

The San Diego Chargers have acquired receiver Chris Chambers from the Miami Dolphins, according to various media reports.

Chambers reportedly was on the block before the start of the season.

The move means that two former Wisconsin Badgers from the same draft class were traded on the same day -- running back Michael Bennett, a first-rounder in 2001, and Chambers, a second-rounder that same year.

now people cant say SD has not WRS, this is a great move for them

where is Denver can they bring in someone to help thier leaky defense?

KCL
10-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Yep Bennett is no longer a Chief...is now in TB...

sanluis
10-16-2007, 02:35 PM
http://forums.chargers.com/showpost.php?p=1696189&postcount=36

More than a little excited by this move. Chris comes from Norvs offence and was coached by Norv while in Miami so the transition should be smooth. Chris gets two weeks to work with Rivers and get their timing down.

I dare a team to put 8 or 9 in the box now!!!:D:clap2::clap2:

Slick
10-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Wow.

I have Chambers as my third WR on my FF team.

He goes from a team with no QB to a team with a mediocre QB.

I'm sure he is stoked.

WTE
10-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Damn, who does Miami have left to go against NE on Sunday?

Med, can you say 20 point spread?

Astrass
10-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Wow.

I have Chambers as my third WR on my FF team.

He goes from a team with no QB to a team with a mediocre QB.

I'm sure he is stoked.

I got him too =)

Wonder if Rivers can get the ball to him =P

dogfish
10-16-2007, 03:05 PM

ted ginn. . . .

:laugh: :pound: :pound: :rofl:

Stargazer
10-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Good pick-up for the Bolts. A second rounder is kinda high though. I can't say that I'd be excited if the Broncos gave up a 2nd for him.

That is a lot to pay for Chambers. But, the Chargers are going for it now and they need a veteran WR. Eric Parker was placed on IR so they made move. It's a win for both teams.

I'm kinda surprised the Dolphins did not move Jason Taylor and other players. They should've just blown the rest of it up and acquire more selections.

Escobar
10-16-2007, 06:57 PM
good trade for both teams.

Chargers get someone who will help now.

Dolphins get someone who will help in the future.

anton...
10-16-2007, 07:44 PM
i still cant believe the fins picked ginn over anybody!!

:lol:
________
Ocean View Condos Prathumnak (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

lex
10-16-2007, 10:30 PM
now people cant say SD has not WRS, this is a great move for them

where is Denver can they bring in someone to help thier leaky defense?

I agree. If your SD the time is now to make moves like this. Its not likey theyre going to be drafting high, so this is actually a low risk move to improve their team immediately. Very shrewd.

lex
10-16-2007, 10:31 PM
i still cant believe the fins picked ginn over anybody!!

:lol:

Cameron knows what he's doing...right?....right?...anyone?....anyone?

BTW, not only was it a reach but now every time a returner is in the draft the expectation will exist that a team might take them THAT high. They were hoping to get another Devin Hester but what made Hester such a great draft pick is that he was taken in the 3rd. Miami was hoping to get that same player but wasted a high first round pick to get it.

Stargazer
10-17-2007, 02:48 AM
They were hoping to get another Devin Hester but what made Hester such a great draft pick is that he was taken in the 3rd. Miami was hoping to get that same player but wasted a high first round pick to get it.

Devin Hester was drafted in the 2nd round. Ginn can atleast play WR where Hester is strictly a PR/KR. Hester failed learning a position on offense/defense at Miami and has failed to learn a position on offense/defense in the pros.

Stargazer
10-17-2007, 03:10 AM
Also, with Chambers expect the random drop balls, poor route running, and the occassional WTF coming from his play. Chambers has never been a true #1 because of his hiccups.

I will credit the Chargers for going for it though and doing whatever it takes to win now and go for the SB. A 2nd is a hefty price. Though the Chargers have a ton of talent and Chambers will help improve the passing game. It's a win for them and he's signed through 2009.

Poet
10-17-2007, 05:25 AM
Devin Hester was drafted in the 2nd round. Ginn can atleast play WR where Hester is strictly a PR/KR. Hester failed learning a position on offense/defense at Miami and has failed to learn a position on offense/defense in the pros.

That is not exactly true. Chicago does not run very many three WR sets, Hester happens to be their third wideout. Hester has also been getting more reps at WR.

Mike
10-17-2007, 07:52 AM
That is not exactly true. Chicago does not run very many three WR sets, Hester happens to be their third wideout. Hester has also been getting more reps at WR.

True. And it should be stated that they are trying to get Hester the ball on offense. Their offensive coordinator is just not very creative about it.

They did get him involved as a WR this past week though...81 yrd TD reception.

Medford Bronco
10-17-2007, 08:29 AM

if we gave up a 2nd rounder for someone on the D line or LB that could help i would not mind, depending on who it is.

Mike
10-17-2007, 08:57 AM
if we gave up a 2nd rounder for someone on the D line or LB that could help i would not mind, depending on who it is.

Right, depending on who it is. Chambers is a good pickup for SD. I am just not sure he is worth a 2nd.

Medford Bronco
10-17-2007, 08:59 AM

Med, can you say 20 point spread?

NE 47 Miami 10

Medford Bronco
10-17-2007, 09:01 AM
Right, depending on who it is. Chambers is a good pickup for SD. I am just not sure he is worth a 2nd.

It does fill a need for them and you know the window for winning usually is not that big, as free agents leave etc.

I see where SD wanted to do this.

Unless of course you are NE your window is huge due to excellent management and drafting for years etc.

(I just threw up in my mouth saying that lol )

eessydo
10-17-2007, 09:06 AM
While the GM is absolutely stupid when it comes to coaching, he knows how to pick talent and put them in contracts that don't adversely effect the teams cap numbers. The best players are tied up for a while.

A #2 for Chambers is a cheap price. Proven receivers that can go for over 1000 yards a season with good QB'ing are not easy to find.

Ask New England......

Medford Bronco
10-17-2007, 09:12 AM
While the GM is absolutely stupid when it comes to coaching, he knows how to pick talent and put them in contracts that don't adversely effect the teams cap numbers. The best players are tied up for a while.

A #2 for Chambers is a cheap price. Proven receivers that can go for over 1000 yards a season with good QB'ing are not easy to find.

Ask New England......

you make great points :salute:

but can Rivers get the job done.
I am not bashing him, Just asking everyones opinon

To me the jury is still out. He had his chance against not
as good of a NE team they dominated,

will he be able to beat Indy or Ne this year:confused:

I am not sure, but we shall see.

Stargazer
10-17-2007, 02:33 PM
They did get him involved as a WR this past week though...81 yrd TD reception.

He ran essentially a straight line and went deep. Griese hit him with a bomb. Nice play. But, Hester developing into a legit WR. Heck no.

underrated29
10-17-2007, 03:22 PM
im sure it has been said, but we paid a 2nd for walker. a 2nd for chambers is too much. However, i do think that in the long run (which could be this year) that he will prove to be a valuable player for them as a top wideout.

But sometimes when you are desperate the price is higher. I personally think rivers will be a good qb down the line. I still think he will no do as well this year, but in a couple will be pretty good. For now he and his probowl are way overrated.

dogfish
10-17-2007, 03:50 PM
He ran essentially a straight line and went deep. Griese hit him with a bomb. Nice play. But, Hester developing into a legit WR. Heck no.

i agree that he'll never be a full-time starting WR-- too one-dimensional, speed is all he's got-- but that doesn't mean he can't be a dangerous contributor on offense. . . they could do a lot more to get him involved by running end-arounds with hester in the slot, bubble screens and things like that. . . just his presence on the field is going to draw a lot of attention from the defense, and they can do things like lining him up in the backfield and sending him in motion to cause confusion and potentially generate mismatches for other players when the opposing defense has to scramble to get a corner on him. . . .

as for chambers. . . i personally think the price is too high in comparison to a few of the other WRs that have been acquired through trades recently, but san diego hasn't had much luck developing receivers, and he does fill one of their biggest holes. . . LT is only going to be in his prime for a few more years, they need to strike while the iron is hot. . .

besides, if the team doesn't at least make a deep playoff run this year, aj smith might not be around to spend the draft pick anyways-- what does he care?

:laugh:

WTE
10-17-2007, 07:38 PM
as for chambers. . . i personally think the price is too high in comparison to a few of the other WRs that have been acquired through trades recently,

:laugh:

I remember when NE traded a 2nd and 7th for Wes Welker people said we gave up too much for him. Now Wes is performing great for NE and people are saying we gave up nothing for him.

The value of those draft picks are relative to how deep your team is anyways. For example, I think NE had something like 9 draft picks this year but only two made the team. Therefore, the added 7th rounder they gave up really wasn't worth much to the Patriots but it was worth far more to the Fins who are obviously trying to rebuild through the draft.

If Chambers performs well for San Diego the same people who are now saying they gave up too much will soon be saying they gave up nothing.

dogfish
10-17-2007, 08:25 PM
I remember when NE traded a 2nd and 7th for Wes Welker people said we gave up too much for him. Now Wes is performing great for NE and people are saying we gave up nothing for him.

The value of those draft picks are relative to how deep your team is anyways. For example, I think NE had something like 9 draft picks this year but only two made the team. Therefore, the added 7th rounder they gave up really wasn't worth much to the Patriots but it was worth far more to the Fins who are obviously trying to rebuild through the draft.

If Chambers performs well for San Diego the same people who are now saying they gave up too much will soon be saying they gave up nothing.

the last comment is key-- you may be right, but he'll have to perform pretty damn well to be worth it IMO. . . especially since san diego tends to draft well, and chambers isn't getting younger. . . he's an awfully streaky player who can be maddeningly inconsistent. . . still, i don't blame them for making the move. . .

and it's not like miami can lose any more games without hm than they were with him. . . . :laugh:

Stargazer
10-17-2007, 11:13 PM
i agree that he'll never be a full-time starting WR-- too one-dimensional, speed is all he's got-- but that doesn't mean he can't be a dangerous contributor on offense. . . they could do a lot more to get him involved by running end-arounds with hester in the slot, bubble screens and things like that. . . just his presence on the field is going to draw a lot of attention from the defense, and they can do things like lining him up in the backfield and sending him in motion to cause confusion and potentially generate mismatches for other players when the opposing defense has to scramble to get a corner on him. . . .

I actually wanted the Broncos to draft him. A special teams ace we have not seen wearing a Bronco uniform in sometime and never in comparison to Devin Hester. I mean a real legit PR/KR who can hit a homerun every time he touches the ball. Just a quick example, how many times did Rod Smith see action at punt returns, because the others were just complete failures. Rod was inserted just so the guy would catch the damn thing. And how great was it when Rod actually returned one for a TD. Back on-topic, that is how Devin Hester was in college. The guy was flat out WOW returning kicks. It was the other positions he completely failed at.

Essentially what you describe is what Hester can & will probably do on offense. Heck, I shouldn't knock the td catch since the Broncos put up 3 against the Chargers.

Stargazer
10-17-2007, 11:18 PM

NE had a run with just too many draft picks. The Wes Welker trade was great for them. The guy is a flat out football player. And the Dolphins were stupid to let him go. People loved him down in Miami. He played multiple positions. He just plays football. And to let him go & dump garbage money into others... And then draft Ginn with the #9 overall pick to essentially replace what Walker provided.