PDA

View Full Version : Defensive backs in NFL draft pool caught Broncos' attention

Denver Native (Carol)
02-29-2012, 12:00 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — The NFL scouting combine closed Tuesday after the defensive backs worked out at Lucas Oil Stadium. Several prospects who play in the secondary caught the Broncos' attention.

Here are three to keep an eye on:

Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina. Norman (6-foot, 197 pounds) is one of the biggest cornerbacks on this year's draft board.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20063900

CoachChaz
02-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Norman showed ZERO speed at the combine...we'll never sniff Kirkpatrick...and why the hell do we need another fast, undersized LB?

SOCALORADO.
02-29-2012, 12:37 PM
CB Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt 2nd 3rd round
This cat is a baller. I think he ends up one of the best.

Jayron Hosley*, CB/PR, Virginia Tech 2nd-3rd round
Trumaine Johnson, CB/FS, Montana 2nd-3rd round

CoachChaz
02-29-2012, 12:47 PM

I like Hayward and Hosley.

I really like Johnson's height, but his speed and level of comp concern me a bit

SOCALORADO.
02-29-2012, 01:01 PM
I like Hayward and Hosley.

I really like Johnson's height, but his speed and level of comp concern me a bit

Good, i am glad someone agrees on these guys.
I really think DEN needs to be active in aquiring another 2nd round pick.
Yeah, Johnsons competition at MONT also is a bit of a concern to me also.

catfish
02-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Has anyone heard anything about where Janoris Jenkins is projected? Is his off the field stuff going to drop him to the 2nd or 3rd round? or he still a high 1st rounder

CoachChaz
02-29-2012, 02:15 PM
I think Jenkins will be the 2nd CB taken. Probably top 20

catfish
02-29-2012, 02:36 PM

well that's too bad, I think his off the field stuff was overblown, but hoped it would give denver a shot at him

TheReverend
02-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Norman showed ZERO speed at the combine...we'll never sniff Kirkpatrick...and why the hell do we need another fast, undersized LB?

Not necessarily. Jenkins killed combine drills and may have vaulted past Kirkpatrick, character issues or not.

LOVE Hayward and have been talking him up for a year, but def no sooner than our late 3rd round selection.

That being said, my dream draft is still Still slipping to 25 and then grabbing Gilmore in the second and taking 2 more late round small school DBs (some of those guys looked EXTREMELY fluid this year).

underrated29
02-29-2012, 03:52 PM
I like hosely and minnifield a LOT!

If we could get cox and hosley or minnie in the 2nd, that would be pretty much my dream start to the draft.

Hosley is a gamer and fast, he would also allow us to dump ca$hius Vaugh. I like vaughn as a returner not as a DB, and hosley would allow us to free up a roster spot from him.

Sadly, I do not think either makes it to our 2nd, but hey- someone always falls. so why not.

CoachChaz
02-29-2012, 03:57 PM

If we could get cox and hosley or minnie in the 2nd, that would be pretty much my dream start to the draft.

Hosley is a gamer and fast, he would also allow us to dump ca$hius Vaugh. I like vaughn as a returner not as a DB, and hosley would allow us to free up a roster spot from him.

Sadly, I do not think either makes it to our 2nd, but hey- someone always falls. so why not.

We share the same dream. Cox and Minnifield.

TheReverend
02-29-2012, 04:09 PM

Minnefield in the SECOND?

Nothx

underrated29
02-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Minnefield in the SECOND?

Nothx

Really?

He is projected anywhere from late 1 to mid 2.- I didnt see how he did at combine, but last time I looked at him he was top 5 or 6 CBs.

Solid player, good with run support, polished, great bloodline, and has some return abilities. Why you think hes not 2nd rd material?

TheReverend
02-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Really?

He is projected anywhere from late 1 to mid 2.- I didnt see how he did at combine, but last time I looked at him he was top 5 or 6 CBs.

Solid player, good with run support, polished, great bloodline, and has some return abilities. Why you think hes not 2nd rd material?

He's got a good ten guys ahead of him (including Hosley like you mentioned)

In the second we MIGHT even still have a shot at Gilmore. But Johnson, Boykin, Dennard, and Hosley should all go from 2nd-3rd and before Minnifield, imo.

I put Minnifield on the same level as Casey Hayward from Vandy who's a late 3rd/4th round prospect himself.

underrated29
02-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Disagree.

But I would take Gilmore if he is there above minnie, obviously.

Did anyone see minnie at the combine? How did he look on the drop backs and such? I only saw part of the OL and WR group...I have been crazy busy this week and missed the rest.

Superchop 7
02-29-2012, 04:42 PM
My guy.....Harris.....is dropping like a rock. Fine........get him on the cheap. Great draft for DB......get em while you can.

CoachChaz
02-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Disagree.

But I would take Gilmore if he is there above minnie, obviously.

Did anyone see minnie at the combine? How did he look on the drop backs and such? I only saw part of the OL and WR group...I have been crazy busy this week and missed the rest.

I thought he looked great. He was very confident and very comfortable. Seems likehe's been coached well and has plenty of his Dad's influence.

I still dont see why he isnt rated higher. other than maybe some scouts see him as a safety prospect due to his tackling skills.

TheReverend
02-29-2012, 04:53 PM
I thought he looked great. He was very confident and very comfortable. Seems likehe's been coached well and has plenty of his Dad's influence.

I still dont see why he isnt rated higher. other than maybe some scouts see him as a safety prospect due to his tackling skills.

You thought Minnifield looked good in drills, eh?

That's odd since he didn't participate in the 40, broad jump, vertical or positions drills/field work.

TheReverend
02-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Since we're discussing DBs, here's a run-down of their Indy measurables:

http://walterfootball.com/combine2012DB.php

CoachChaz
02-29-2012, 05:17 PM
You thought Minnifield looked good in drills, eh?

That's odd since he didn't participate in the 40, broad jump, vertical or positions drills/field work.

You're completely right. I was putting Gilmore and Minniefield in the same thought process.

My bad.

catfish
02-29-2012, 05:19 PM
You're completely right. I was putting Gilmore and Minniefield in the same thought process.

My bad.

just don't let it happen again ;)

CoachChaz
02-29-2012, 05:23 PM
just don't let it happen again ;)

Been an unusually stressful day

catfish
02-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Been an unusually stressful day

no excuse, can't ruin the forums creditability by posting innacurate information.....:rofl:

FanInAZ
02-29-2012, 05:37 PM
forums creditability

:rofl:

G_Money
02-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Not seeing Minnifield at the combine pissed me off, because I liked his work in college quite a bit and I wanted to see him in the on-field drills. I dunno, a lot of the combiners were stone-handed, stiff-hipped goons. I dunno how you can be 5'10 and that clumsy and expect to survive in the league.

Still hoping we add a FA corner worth a damn cuz this DB class isn't striking fear in opposing wideouts, sans a couple of early guys. Seeing the Coastal Carolina kid run slow was fine with me - maybe he'll drop a bit.

I definitely don't need another Rahim Moore just because we feel like we "should" draft a corner high.

~G

Jsteve01
02-29-2012, 07:17 PM
I think Norman may be another kid that ends up at safety rather than corner

Dapper Dan
02-29-2012, 07:32 PM
I still want Janzen Jackson. Idk what the hell we'll do with him. But I want him.

I'm a big fan of Minnifield. I haven't watched a whole lot of tape though. That's above my pay grade.

dogfish
02-29-2012, 10:21 PM
...and why the hell do we need another fast, undersized LB?

probably to replace woodyard, would be my guess. . . and haggan is also a pending free agent. . . i can see why they'd at least do their due dilligence. . .

i'm very much on board with drafting minnifield or hosley-- but i'd still love to see us release goodman and sign a quality starting corner as well. . . let the rook cut his teeth playing nickel or dime for a year, and the coaching staff can start converting champ to more of a rover role next year, if they want. . .

dogfish
02-29-2012, 10:22 PM

My bad.

post your D2300 or it didn't happen!

TXBRONC
03-01-2012, 07:51 AM
probably to replace woodyard, would be my guess. . . and haggan is also a pending free agent. . . i can see why they'd at least do their due dilligence. . .

i'm very much on board with drafting minnifield or hosley-- but i'd still love to see us release goodman and sign a quality starting corner as well. . . let the rook cut his teeth playing nickel or dime for a year, and the coaching staff can start converting champ to more of a rover role next year, if they want. . .

Undersized linebackers in a 4-3 defense is not problem if the defensive line can keep the offensive line occupied at the line of scrimmage.

UnderArmour
03-01-2012, 09:16 AM

If he somehow falls to us it would be unbelievable because word is that Carolina is eying him as high as 9. Hell, if he'd come out in the supplemental draft last year we could have given up a second and I wouldn't have batted an eye. This guy legit has Champ Bailey/Darelle Revis potential. For him to be able to learn under Champ we could potentially end up with 2 lockdown corners. He's on a whole nother level than Dre Kirkpatrick.

SpringsBroncoFan
03-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Not seeing Minnifield at the combine pissed me off, because I liked his work in college quite a bit and I wanted to see him in the on-field drills. I dunno, a lot of the combiners were stone-handed, stiff-hipped goons. I dunno how you can be 5'10 and that clumsy and expect to survive in the league.

Still hoping we add a FA corner worth a damn cuz this DB class isn't striking fear in opposing wideouts, sans a couple of early guys. Seeing the Coastal Carolina kid run slow was fine with me - maybe he'll drop a bit.

I definitely don't need another Rahim Moore just because we feel like we "should" draft a corner high.

~G

Brockers pissed me off... it was clear he put zero effort into the combine and then gives excuses for his poor showing...

An another note, are you sure you don't want us drafting Dre at 25 G???

Certainly he can compete with your buddy Moore! :D