PDA

View Full Version : Selvin Young #2.....

Crush05
08-31-2007, 02:59 AM
As I am going to bed I ran across what I have been saying all night. Selvin Young the #2 back. The Denver Post thinks so and as you know so have I! I guess now is I all have to do is wait for Mr. Shanny to prove me right! Here is a copy of the link:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_6762190:first:

Reidman
08-31-2007, 03:13 AM
Wow, I guess your job is never safe when you're a Broncos tailback.
Good for Selvin Young. I wonder if this means Bell is hitting the road...

Skinny
08-31-2007, 05:40 AM
Wow, I guess your job is never safe when you're a Broncos tailback.
Good for Selvin Young. I wonder if this means Bell is hitting the road...http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showpost.php?p=1915144&postcount=16

Got to see Selvin last week and he really looked good. I still think he (Bell) makes the team. Never know though.

Den21vsBal19
08-31-2007, 05:52 AM
Listening to Shanny post match, he basically said that Young could move out of his hotel, and get an apartment................

KOA were guessing that we'd keep 5 RBs, they reckoned Henry, Young, Sapp, Bell & Johnson.

So I'm guessing either Sapp or Bell for the 2nd FB slot..........did Bell infact line up at FB last night, and if so how'd he go?

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 07:07 AM
He has looked very good, but one thing to keep in mind is that for the most part he has been facing our opponents 2nd and 3rd teamers.

Q-niverse
08-31-2007, 09:01 AM
I'd vote for that. Andre Hall had two TDs but he really needs to work on the one-cut scheme some more.

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 11:12 AM
I'd vote for that. Andre Hall had two TDs but he really needs to work on the one-cut scheme some more.

I'm not really sure he will make the team. His game stats were 18 carrise for 54yards with ypc of 2.8. I understand both of his touchdowns were less than five yards but his longest run of night was only 9 yards.

BroncoWave
08-31-2007, 12:05 PM
He has looked very good, but one thing to keep in mind is that for the most part he has been facing our opponents 2nd and 3rd teamers.

But he has also been running behind our 2nd and 3rd string O-line. So to me, it cancels out.

Crush05
08-31-2007, 12:08 PM
But he has also been running behind our 2nd and 3rd string O-line. So to me, it cancels out.

Exactly. Heck last week he was up against the 1st stringers and ripped them up let us not forget!!!!:whistle:

Nick
08-31-2007, 04:06 PM
Young has been very very impressive with his vision and feet work. He deserves the #2 now as Bell did last year.

I like how Shanny put Mike Bell in at FB. Sapp or Bell could be cut.. just as they might keep 5 backs.

Hall looked pretty good to... he should be on our practice squad.

With the depth at HB, Shanny is going to have a tough decision and I think Sapp is going to be that casualty.

Skinny
08-31-2007, 05:17 PM
Selvin Young latest out-of-nowhere back to excel in Denver
August 31, 2007

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- Two weeks ago, Selvin Young was buried deep in the Broncos' depth chart. Now, he's primed to join the long list of out-of-nowhere running backs to make their mark in Denver.

Injuries to starter Travis Henry (knee) and backup Mike Bell (hip) at Dallas two weeks ago opened the door for Young, and the undrafted free agent from the University of Texas burst right through it with dazzling performances in the final two exhibition games.

Young again was singled out by coach Mike Shanahan after his 12-yard touchdown run in Denver's 21-3 win over Arizona in his final audition for a roster spot Thursday night.

Bell returned from a hip injury a week earlier than expected but was moved to fullback along with Cecil Sapp against the Cardinals while Young started and shared snaps with Andre Ball, who scored twice.

Young led the Broncos in rushing in the preseason, gaining 167 yards on 34 carries for a 4.9-yard average and scoring two touchdowns.

He's followed in the footsteps of Bell, an undrafted rookie last year who was the surprise of camp by leapfrogging a bunch of veterans and eventually settling into a backup role behind Tatum Bell, where he rushed for 677 yards and eight touchdowns.

His move to fullback Thursday night -- along with Young's performance at tailback -- might portend a different role for Bell this season -- or maybe even his release when rosters are set Saturday.

Young, whose college career was derailed by injuries, including a shattered right ankle in 2004, is as healthy as he's ever been and showed a burst that has the Broncos re-examining their thoughts about who will spell Henry.

So do the Broncos, who believe they've unearthed yet another gem that everybody else passed over. That long list includes sixth-round pick Terrell Davis in 1995, Olandis Gary, Reuben Droughns and Bell.

"It's good that I wasn't drafted. I wouldn't be here right now if I was," Young said. "I always knew that everything was going to work out for me just fine in the future. I was always just waiting for the moment when I could feel good."

And that's been a long time coming.

Dogged by injuries throughout his five years at Texas, Young's phone never rang on draft weekend, so, he signed as a free agent with the running-rich Broncos, in part, he said, because he knew he'd get a fair shake in Denver.

He didn't leave his bravado at the border, either.

"Of course, I felt like I was the best running back coming out of this draft," Young said. "But I got my whole entire career to prove that and not let someone else decide by picking people who's that guy."

Young wrote out a list of 35 goals when he got to Denver, things like "be coaching every day, finishing every run, never leaving a yard on the field."

"I've been checking them off pretty steadily without any setbacks so far," he said. "I had a feeling if I were able to accomplish every goal that without a doubt I would be able to make the team, and I don't have any blank spots on my goals."

He also is free of pain for the first time since his senior year in high school.

"I had more fun than I've had playing football in the last five years. I'm healthy, I can run, I can do things on the field without being hampered by injuries," he said. "It feels good. It almost feels like I'm starting football all over again."

And yet, Young insists even the Broncos don't realize all the talents he brings to their backfield.

"Not by far. I feel like I've got great hands, I feel like I would be able to stretch some defenses out of the backfield as well as running the football. That's another dimension to the game that I can't wait to showcase. I have some return skills as well," Young said.

"I feel like I'm a football player. Whatever it is, Xs and Os, I can get it done."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=265775

Crush05
08-31-2007, 05:43 PM
Great post!!! Nice read! Hmm maybe I should be one of the pros!:ahhhhh: Seems like they are all echoinng what I have been saying!

Selvin Young latest out-of-nowhere back to excel in Denver
August 31, 2007

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- Two weeks ago, Selvin Young was buried deep in the Broncos' depth chart. Now, he's primed to join the long list of out-of-nowhere running backs to make their mark in Denver.

Injuries to starter Travis Henry (knee) and backup Mike Bell (hip) at Dallas two weeks ago opened the door for Young, and the undrafted free agent from the University of Texas burst right through it with dazzling performances in the final two exhibition games.

Young again was singled out by coach Mike Shanahan after his 12-yard touchdown run in Denver's 21-3 win over Arizona in his final audition for a roster spot Thursday night.

Bell returned from a hip injury a week earlier than expected but was moved to fullback along with Cecil Sapp against the Cardinals while Young started and shared snaps with Andre Ball, who scored twice.

Young led the Broncos in rushing in the preseason, gaining 167 yards on 34 carries for a 4.9-yard average and scoring two touchdowns.

He's followed in the footsteps of Bell, an undrafted rookie last year who was the surprise of camp by leapfrogging a bunch of veterans and eventually settling into a backup role behind Tatum Bell, where he rushed for 677 yards and eight touchdowns.

His move to fullback Thursday night -- along with Young's performance at tailback -- might portend a different role for Bell this season -- or maybe even his release when rosters are set Saturday.

Young, whose college career was derailed by injuries, including a shattered right ankle in 2004, is as healthy as he's ever been and showed a burst that has the Broncos re-examining their thoughts about who will spell Henry.

So do the Broncos, who believe they've unearthed yet another gem that everybody else passed over. That long list includes sixth-round pick Terrell Davis in 1995, Olandis Gary, Reuben Droughns and Bell.

"It's good that I wasn't drafted. I wouldn't be here right now if I was," Young said. "I always knew that everything was going to work out for me just fine in the future. I was always just waiting for the moment when I could feel good."

And that's been a long time coming.

Dogged by injuries throughout his five years at Texas, Young's phone never rang on draft weekend, so, he signed as a free agent with the running-rich Broncos, in part, he said, because he knew he'd get a fair shake in Denver.

He didn't leave his bravado at the border, either.

"Of course, I felt like I was the best running back coming out of this draft," Young said. "But I got my whole entire career to prove that and not let someone else decide by picking people who's that guy."

Young wrote out a list of 35 goals when he got to Denver, things like "be coaching every day, finishing every run, never leaving a yard on the field."

"I've been checking them off pretty steadily without any setbacks so far," he said. "I had a feeling if I were able to accomplish every goal that without a doubt I would be able to make the team, and I don't have any blank spots on my goals."

He also is free of pain for the first time since his senior year in high school.

"I had more fun than I've had playing football in the last five years. I'm healthy, I can run, I can do things on the field without being hampered by injuries," he said. "It feels good. It almost feels like I'm starting football all over again."

And yet, Young insists even the Broncos don't realize all the talents he brings to their backfield.

"Not by far. I feel like I've got great hands, I feel like I would be able to stretch some defenses out of the backfield as well as running the football. That's another dimension to the game that I can't wait to showcase. I have some return skills as well," Young said.

"I feel like I'm a football player. Whatever it is, Xs and Os, I can get it done."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=265775

BigBroncLove
08-31-2007, 07:34 PM
I like Young, but I still like Mike Bell more, for the simple fact that he has more proven yards in a regular season :D. That is not to say that Young can't get it done, but I still think Bell will prove himself to be a very good RB, and hopefulyl this injury doesn't spell the end for that promising ability with Denver.

I personally think, with Mike Bells improvment from last seasons so-so blocking, that he is now a more complete RB then he was last year, and would be a great change of pace guy. Selvin Young seems to run with a lot of authority, but I'm still on the fence that he can do that come week 2 when teams are coming together completely, and you will see more then vanilla rush defense and blitz packages. Either way though, I like the way the Broncos backfield is stacking up. FB and HB are looking better then it has in previous years.

xX-Bronco-Xx
08-31-2007, 07:37 PM
Selvin Young had the explosion that I didn't expect to see and from the games I've seen he's been following the line well and has been making some great plays.

Of course Travis Henry is our top running back though and hopefully we won't be seeing a lot of action from the back up running backs (meaning Travis Henry is successful here)

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Selvin Young had the explosion that I didn't expect to see and from the games I've seen he's been following the line well and has been making some great plays.

Of course Travis Henry is our top running back though and hopefully we won't be seeing a lot of action from the back up running backs (meaning Travis Henry is successful here)

Successful and healthy. I love it when we have some good talent at positions and its hard to decide ( like we all have a choice ) of who goes and who stays.

I am confident we will have a very good backfield in place again this year. Even our backups will be better then most teams 1st stringers.

broncosfanscott
09-01-2007, 01:39 AM
I like Young, but I still like Mike Bell more, for the simple fact that he has more proven yards in a regular season :D. That is not to say that Young can't get it done, but I still think Bell will prove himself to be a very good RB, and hopefulyl this injury doesn't spell the end for that promising ability with Denver.

I personally think, with Mike Bells improvment from last seasons so-so blocking, that he is now a more complete RB then he was last year, and would be a great change of pace guy. Selvin Young seems to run with a lot of authority, but I'm still on the fence that he can do that come week 2 when teams are coming together completely, and you will see more then vanilla rush defense and blitz packages. Either way though, I like the way the Broncos backfield is stacking up. FB and HB are looking better then it has in previous years.

I agree with you. Henry, Bell, and Young will be a nice trio of RBs and given the chance I think Young could surprise us. However, I would put Bell above him for now.

Gotta watch out for those undrafted RBs......especially in Denver.

Skinny
09-01-2007, 11:10 AM
I know Crush05 might cuss me out or something lol :biggrin:, but i really beleive Young will be the #3 back. A 3rd down, change of pace, type back. He's quicker than anyone at that position and would be a great option to mix things up.

Retired_Member_001
09-01-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm not too sure about Mike Bell.

He is inconsistent and can't block. If Shanahan is convinced that Selvin Young can do a better job at #2 then I trust him and hope it's a good move. I always thought Selvin Young was a good signing and I hope he proves so.

Crush05
09-01-2007, 04:04 PM
I know Crush05 might cuss me out or something lol :biggrin:, but i really beleive Young will be the #3 back. A 3rd down, change of pace, type back. He's quicker than anyone at that position and would be a great option to mix things up.

Bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep lol j/k. If you feel that way it is okay! But mark my words!!!!

Skinny
09-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep lol j/k. If you feel that way it is okay! But mark my words!!!!lol, it's all good crush.

I got'em marked.

With the cuts that have been appearing to go on today, you words may be as good as Gold!

RunYouOver
09-01-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm happy with young as the #2.

Looks like whoever guessed we'd have 5 RB was right, just no Kyle Johnson.

Any guess to Young's stats? I say about 300 yds...

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm happy with young as the #2.

Looks like whoever guessed we'd have 5 RB was right, just no Kyle Johnson.

Any guess to Young's stats? I say about 300 yds...

Assuming Henry stays healthy for the season, yeah I would guess around 300 yards.

Broncos Mtnman
09-02-2007, 06:18 PM
OK, I know he's usually full of it ;)

But it appears Crush was right on with his prediction of Young being our #2.

So, here's to the only time he'll be right this season.....

:beer:

Crush05
09-03-2007, 12:03 AM
OK, I know he's usually full of it ;)

But it appears Crush was right on with his prediction of Young being our #2.

So, here's to the only time he'll be right this season.....

:beer:

I know where you live, work and where you sit in the stadium buddy!!!!!:laugh::hahaha:

Skinny
09-03-2007, 12:17 AM
I know where you live, work and where you sit in the stadium buddy!!!!!:laugh::hahaha:Damn!

lol, What else you know! :ear:

Nice call BTW! :2thumbs:

Crush05
09-03-2007, 12:35 AM
Damn!

lol, What else you know! :ear:

Nice call BTW! :2thumbs:

Ask him he may tell ya lol!!! And thank you!!!;)