PDA

View Full Version : Jim Rome's take was pretty funny

weazel
03-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Rome say's Bus Cook revealed that Cutler is mad because of the coaching changes. That is why he is throwing the hissy fit.

Rome wonders how a two year QB thinks he should be involved in any organizational hirings and firings. He then said Cutler is acting like he's John Elway when in reality he hasnt even done as much as Jake Plummer.

I think Rome is an idiot, but he nailed it. Cutler thinks he's bigger than the team. He is a f'n clown

from ESPN.com

Jay Cutler's agent says his client's relationship with the Denver Broncos disintegrated after the firing of coach Mike Shanahan and a broken promise that Shanahan's offensive staff would largely remain intact, according to a report on NFL.com.

AFC West blog

ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Bus Cook told the Web site that Cutler met with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen shortly after Shanahan was fired on Dec. 30 to express his concerns.

"Jay was disappointed in the firing of Mike Shanahan and met with the owner. The owner assured him everything would be fine. The owner said he had the second-best offense in football and would leave the offensive staff intact. Jay was good with that. Then he hires an offensive coach who gets rid of the staff," Cook told NFL.com.
----

adding the entire article

Jay Cutler's agent says his client's relationship with the Denver Broncos disintegrated after the firing of coach Mike Shanahan and a broken promise that Shanahan's offensive staff would largely remain intact, according to a report on NFL.com.

AFC West blog

ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Bus Cook told the Web site that Cutler met with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen shortly after Shanahan was fired on Dec. 30 to express his concerns.

"Jay was disappointed in the firing of Mike Shanahan and met with the owner. The owner assured him everything would be fine. The owner said he had the second-best offense in football and would leave the offensive staff intact. Jay was good with that. Then he hires an offensive coach who gets rid of the staff," Cook told NFL.com.

New Broncos coach Josh McDaniels overhauled the offensive staff after his arrival.

Cutler told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen on Sunday that the departure of offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates in particular didn't sit well with him.

"Yes, I was upset when they let Jeremy go because Mr. Bowlen had assured me when Mike [Shanahan] was fired that the offense wouldn't change because it was the second-ranked offense in football," Cutler said. "But I didn't push for a trade then."

Bowlen, however, says he doesn't remember having the conversation with Cutler that Cook references.

"I really have had no discussion with Jay or the agent. Mike was fired right after the season. At that point, there was no need to have a discussion with Jay. Now, actually, to be fair, I don't think I had that discussion. I don't recall it. I know I'm getting up there in age, and I am not sure of that discussion," Bowlen told NFL.com.

NFL.com Video
Highlights of some of Jay Cutler's best moments in 2008.
Cook has formally requested a trade on Cutler's behalf, but contrary to reports, he says he didn't immediately demand that his client be traded.

"Jay met with the coach early on and then told me everything was going to be OK. He said, 'We are going to work this out; we are on the same wavelength.' Everything was fine until Saturday two weeks ago," Cook told NFL.com. "Jay called me and asked, 'Are they trying to trade me?' I told him, 'No, why would they try to do that?' "

The Broncos reportedly tried to unload Cutler in a three-way trade proposal that would have brought former Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel, whom McDaniels worked with in New England, to Denver. Cassel was eventually traded to the Kansas City Chiefs for a second-round pick.

As recently as the last meeting between Cutler and McDaniels, Cook said his client was ready to commit to the Broncos. However, he claims, the Broncos wouldn't commit to Cutler.

"We told them the evening of our last meeting that Jay wanted to be a Bronco even before the meeting," Cook told NFL.com. "Jay told them he understood about the coach's relationship with Matt Cassel. At no time was the coach critical of Jay. In fact, he told Jay soon after he got to Denver that Jay was the reason he came to Denver. So, why was he trying to trade him? All the guy had to do was say I dropped the ball, I have a special bond with Cassel, you are my guy. Jay never heard that. What he heard in the meeting was it could happen again."

Bowlen said he would like Cutler to remain with the Broncos, but the writing might be on the wall for his departure.

"I would like to keep him here, obviously. But if you are going to be an unhappy camper, there is no real reason to be here," Bowlen told NFL.com.

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 01:39 PM
If this is indeed fact, then I agree. He needs to go before his head gets bigger.

DenBronx
03-20-2009, 01:40 PM
playing for 1.3 mill i think cutler feels smaller than the team....not bigger. pay the guy and all this will go away.

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 01:42 PM
playing for 1.3 mill i think cutler feels smaller than the team....not bigger. pay the guy and all this will go away.

Ok, I want to make sure I understand this. He really hasnt accomplished much and that is perfectly understandable considering his limited tenure in the NFL. But based on that...what the hell are we giving him a raise for when he is in the midst of a contract he willingly signed? And what proves that he wont pull this crap again over something else...better yet...what proves Cook doesnt start crap?

Benetto
03-20-2009, 01:42 PM

Exactly my thought.

DenBronx
03-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Ok, I want to make sure I understand this. He really hasnt accomplished much and that is perfectly understandable considering his limited tenure in the NFL. But based on that...what the hell are we giving him a raise for when he is in the midst of a contract he willingly signed? And what proves that he wont pull this crap again over something else...better yet...what proves Cook doesnt start crap?

based on your theory we shouldnt have given weigman a raise either.

Benetto
03-20-2009, 01:44 PM
What have you done for me now is not applicable to this situation. What can you do for me as a second year probowler is what im thinking.

red98
03-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Cook, as usual, is full of it.

Jay publicly spoke about the new coach shortly after his hiring. He had nothing but praise for Mckid at that point.

Too bad Jay won't tell his agent to shut up or better yet get lost.

DenBronx
03-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Cook, as usual, is full of it.

Jay publicly spoke about the new coach shortly after his hiring. He had nothing but praise for Mckid at that point.

Too bad Jay won't tell his agent to shut up or better yet get lost.

thats what he needs to do but cook is poisoning his ears, promising him a huge payday. tampa has the money and so do a few others. or this could just be an evil way of making the broncos over pay for cutler.

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 01:47 PM
based on your theory we shouldnt have given weigman a raise either.

Wasnt Wiegmann originally on a one year contract to begin with? I'm asking because I cant remember, but if he was...then his contract would have expired.

If not, keep in mind that Wiegmann was signed as a back-up center. The situation deemed he start and he did so at a Pro-Bowl level. I can understand offering a raise for that.

Cutler was already on a contract befitting a 1st round rookie QB and was already the starter.

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 01:48 PM
What have you done for me now is not applicable to this situation. What can you do for me as a second year probowler is what im thinking.

So you want to pay for a Cadillac when you're not sure if a Kia is coming around the corner?

BroncoJoe
03-20-2009, 01:50 PM

Uh, didn't Jay sign a 6 year, $48 MILLION contract? His paycheck might "only" total $1.3 million this year, but he's got plenty of money up front, and more due in the next two years.

Stupid argument.

CoachChaz
thats what he needs to do but cook is poisoning his ears, promising him a huge payday. tampa has the money and so do a few others. or this could just be an evil way of making the broncos over pay for cutler.

Actually...Tampa is penny-pinching. They've been laying off people on their office staff left and right and Glazer has his hands full with ManU.

It's HIGHLY doubtful that Tampa could afford the trade value and eventual contract demand of Cutler.

DenBronx
Wasnt Wiegmann originally on a one year contract to begin with? I'm asking because I cant remember, but if he was...then his contract would have expired.

If not, keep in mind that Wiegmann was signed as a back-up center. The situation deemed he start and he did so at a Pro-Bowl level. I can understand offering a raise for that.

Cutler was already on a contract befitting a 1st round rookie QB and was already the starter.

i think your right on the 1 year deal. i forgot about that but i do know he wanted more money to stay.

look at it this way...lonnie paxon is going to make more than cutler next year.

DenBronx
03-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Actually...Tampa is penny-pinching. They've been laying off people on their office staff left and right and Glazer has his hands full with ManU.

It's HIGHLY doubtful that Tampa could afford the trade value and eventual contract demand of Cutler.

then why did they try and trade for him? penny pinching front office maybe but players no.

k2???

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 01:52 PM
i think your right on the 1 year deal. i forgot about that but i do know he wanted more money to stay.

look at it this way...lonnie paxon is going to make more than cutler next year.

Based on the way it look on paper...yes. But add signing bonus, guaranteed money and performance escalators in there and Cutler will not be eating beans

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 01:53 PM
then why did they try and trade for him? penny pinching front office maybe but players no.

k2???

There's an article I read somewhere on it. Saying they said they couldnt justify laying off people making $35,000 a year and then signing guys to mega-million dollar deals

DenBronx
03-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Uh, didn't Jay sign a 6 year, $48 MILLION contract? His paycheck might "only" total $1.3 million this year, but he's got plenty of money up front, and more due in the next two years.

Stupid argument.

he's due buddy....not a stupid argument at all. i can bump several threads from last year when all discussed this. every first rounder gets money up front and usually towards the end of the deal we start talking contract negotiations to keep them.

its called perfomance based.

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 01:55 PM
he's due buddy....not a stupid argument at all. i can bump several threads from last year when all discussed this. every first rounder gets money up front and usually towards the end of the deal we start talking contract negotiations to keep them.

its called perfomance based.

I think these are the key words. I have no problem with re-negotiating a contract when it's justified by performance, but I do have a problem doing it because I'm being strong-armed by an agent to pacify his client and pay him for something he hasnt done

DenBronx
03-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Based on the way it look on paper...yes. But add signing bonus, guaranteed money and performance escalators in there and Cutler will not be eating beans

your right he's already a multimillionair but its the liability of the game. on any play in any year your career could be done for good. cutler should have to play for that kind of money especially since we have the cap room and 2010 is going to be uncapped. many teams will break the bank to get him.

BroncoJoe
03-20-2009, 01:56 PM
$11 million guaranteed.

Stupid argument.

DenBronx
03-20-2009, 01:57 PM
I think these are the key words. I have no problem with re-negotiating a contract when it's justified by performance, but I do have a problem doing it because I'm being strong-armed by an agent to pacify his client and pay him for something he hasnt done

by hasnt done are you talking about making the playoffs with the worst defense in the nfl?

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 01:58 PM
your right he's already a multimillionair but its the liability of the game. on any play in any year your career could be done for good. cutler should have to play for that kind of money especially since we have the cap room and 2010 is going to be uncapped. many teams will break the bank to get him.

I guess my biggest fear right now would be to lock him up for a truckload of money for a long time and then maybe have to put up with this drama. Whether it comes from him or his agent, I could do without it.

GEM

If he didn't like the 4th year pay of his contract, he shouldn't have signed it.

DenBronx
$11 million guaranteed.

Stupid argument.

not next year.

stupid rebuttle.

BroncoJoe
03-20-2009, 01:59 PM
7/27/2006: Signed a six-year, $47.86 million contract. The deal contains $11 million guaranteed, including a $1.7 million signing bonus. 2009: $1.035 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus), 2010: $1.4225 million (+ $4 million roster bonus), 2011: $1.81 million (+ $12 million roster bonus) 2012: Free Agent. 45% of the deal's max value is performance incentives. Among them is a $1.95 million escalator for any year of 2006-2010 that he finishes in the top five in any of the NFL's major passing categories, as well as a $4 million bonus for taking 70% of the snaps in 2009. There also is a $500,000 bonus available 2006-2010 for taking 70% of the snaps and either taking 70% of the snaps in a Super Bowl or winning a Super Bowl.

BroncoJoe
03-20-2009, 01:59 PM
not next year.

stupid rebuttle.

It's guaranteed.

Ditto on the rebuttal.

DenBronx
03-20-2009, 02:00 PM
If he didn't like the 3rd year pay of his contract, he shouldn't have signed it.

all rookies end up signing a contract untill they exceed their expected performance. in this case cutler has the right to ask for a new deal.

BroncoJoe
03-20-2009, 02:01 PM
all rookies end up signing a contract untill they exceed their expected performance. in this case cutler has the right to ask for a new deal.

He doesn't have any "right". He signed a contract.

CoachChaz
by hasnt done are you talking about making the playoffs with the worst defense in the nfl?

What I'm saying is I want the same standard to apply to both sides. It's easy to say he had some bad times because of his defense, but he also benefitted as well.

People like to throw around 4500 passing yards like it's a declaration of greatness...but if his defense wasnt so horrible, would he have had that many?

I have no problem admitting he can only do so much based on the woes on the other side of the ball, but I still cant say he has done anything immaculate either. At least not anything that quite a few other QB's would have been forced to do as well in his shoes.

Is that his fault? No...but I'd like to see him show me something with a decent defense. Show me that you can lead a team, make better decisions and be a playoff QB

GEM
One of the biggest things wrong with the league. Teams are expected to meet all contractual obligations, but these players stomp their feet and hold these franchises hostage. It's ridiculous. Sooner or later, the owners do run low on cash because they've been forced to meet all these primadonnas demands.

DenBronx
03-20-2009, 02:02 PM
It's guaranteed.

Ditto on the rebuttal.

wtf...

?

GEM
03-20-2009, 02:03 PM

Do you think any joe schmoe on the street could go to his employer after fulfilling only 3/4 of their signed contract and say they've done well...now give me a raise? And the employer wouldn't just take out the contract and tell them to get back to work?

He has the right to ask for it, the employer has a right to deny it and the employee is still under contract to fulfil the contract.

BigDaddyBronco
03-20-2009, 02:03 PM
7/27/2006: Signed a six-year, $47.86 million contract. The deal contains $11 million guaranteed, including a $1.7 million signing bonus. 2009: $1.035 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus), 2010: $1.4225 million (+ $4 million roster bonus), 2011: $1.81 million (+ $12 million roster bonus) 2012: Free Agent. 45% of the deal's max value is performance incentives. Among them is a $1.95 million escalator for any year of 2006-2010 that he finishes in the top five in any of the NFL's major passing categories, as well as a $4 million bonus for taking 70% of the snaps in 2009. There also is a $500,000 bonus available 2006-2010 for taking 70% of the snaps and either taking 70% of the snaps in a Super Bowl or winning a Super Bowl.
So if he plays like he did last year he would make more than $7 million for 2009. Ok people, stop crying about Cutler's money. He is fine, his rookie contract was fair. if Cutler and Cook would want to get a new deal next year, I would be ok with it.

DenBronx
03-20-2009, 02:04 PM
One of the biggest things wrong with the league. Teams are expected to meet all contractual obligations, but these players stomp their feet and hold these franchises hostage. It's ridiculous. Sooner or later, the owners do run low on cash because they've been forced to meet all these primadonnas demands.

its a necessary evil gem. i think marshal would have got a new deal before he got in trouble again. if cutler was doing stupid **** of the field then id agree.

red98
03-20-2009, 02:04 PM
There's an article I read somewhere on it. Saying they said they couldnt justify laying off people making $35,000 a year and then signing guys to mega-million dollar deals

Yeah the owners are cheap. But as of 2/26/2009 the Bucs were 61 million under the cap and required to spend 45 million to reach the minimum.

If the want Jay they can afford him, no problem.

DenBronx
03-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Do you think any joe schmoe on the street could go to his employer after fulfilling only 3/4 of their signed contract and say they've done well...now give me a raise? And the employer wouldn't just take out the contract and tell them to get back to work?

He has the right to ask for it, the employer has a right to deny it and the employee is still under contract to fulfil the contract.

if i had an employee like cutler and he performed like he did the first 3 years then id most certainly give him a raise.

GEM
03-20-2009, 02:05 PM

They don't put that stuff in the contracts. It's IF you fulfil your duties no matter what you have around you. It doesn't say if you meet this, this and this even though you have the worst defense...

These players need to either live up to their contracts to the end of the contract, or don't sign it in the first place.

red98
03-20-2009, 02:06 PM
So if he plays like he did last year he would make more than $7 million for 2009. Ok people, stop crying about Cutler's money. He is fine, his rookie contract was fair. if Cutler and Cook would want to get a new deal next year, I would be ok with it.

The most he can make in 2009 is 1.135 million.

GEM
03-20-2009, 02:06 PM
if i had an employee like cutler and he performed like he did the first 3 years then id most certainly give him a raise.

In this economy? I doubt it. And especially not when you have 52 other guys who could say the same thing and you would have to renegotiate those contracts.

underrated29
03-20-2009, 02:07 PM
I dont think cutler wants a new deal for the money. Thats where everyone keep getting hung up on. I dont recall ever him or BUS saying this...

Jay wants a new contract from the FO to show him he is their guy for the longterm.

Thats what Jay has said.

I said thin in another thread and i think it would solve most of the major issues right away.

Jay and the FO meet and Amend his contract with a NO TRADE claus. They also amend and gurantee that after this year assuming Jay doesnt tank they will also re-negotiate his contract and extend him out another 7-10 years...

Both sides win.

Jay gets the job secutiry he wants, Pat and the FO dont have to fork over anymoney this year, and then they can prove Jay is their guy after this year, by extending him out....

Seems easy enough to me.

BroncoJoe
03-20-2009, 02:08 PM

He can earn it himself.

DenBronx
03-20-2009, 02:08 PM
He doesn't have any "right". He signed a contract.

hmmm. ask me this question when cutler is no longer a bronco and on draft day were scrambling around to find out who will be our qb. if he doesnt have a right then why are there 3-5 teams trying to trade for him after he asked to be traded. trust me...players like cutler have more power than you think.

BigDaddyBronco
03-20-2009, 02:09 PM

Unless this is wrong.

Originally Posted by BroncoJoe

That adds up to $7.085MM.

BroncoJoe
03-20-2009, 02:09 PM

Read it again:

Among them is a $1.95 million escalator for any year of 2006-2010 that he finishes in the top five in any of the NFL's major passing categories, as well as a $4 million bonus for taking 70% of the snaps in 2009.

BroncoJoe
03-20-2009, 02:11 PM
hmmm. ask me this question when cutler is no longer a bronco and on draft day were scrambling around to find out who will be our qb. if he doesnt have a right then why are there 3-5 teams trying to trade for him after he asked to be traded. trust me...players like cutler have more power than you think.

Technically, he can't force the Broncos to do anything until he's a free agent.

He has a lot less power than you think.

DenBronx
03-20-2009, 02:11 PM
In this economy? I doubt it. And especially not when you have 52 other guys who could say the same thing and you would have to renegotiate those contracts.

didnt hayneworth just sign a 100 million contract? do you really think the nfl isnt going to pay pro bowlers....even in this economy? the nfl network did a segment on this about 3 weeks ago.

BroncoJoe
03-20-2009, 02:12 PM
didnt hayneworth just sign a 100 million contract? do you really think the nfl isnt going to pay pro bowlers....even in this economy? the nfl network did a segment on this about 3 weeks ago.

He'll never see the $100 million. I guarantee it.

getlynched47
03-20-2009, 02:12 PM
McDaniels fails.

All who believe Cutler "hasnt accomplished anything" or "isnt good" fail also...

click the link in my signature and be amazed with Cutler's greatness :coffee:

getlynched47
03-20-2009, 02:13 PM
He'll never see the $100 million. I guarantee it.

step aside boys.........we have a psychic in the house :coffee:

nthngd2say
03-20-2009, 02:13 PM

I understand your point but out performing his deal for one season shouldn't mean a new contract immediately. Otherwise that would imply the Broncos would have the same right should Cutler not throw for 4500 yards next season to want to re-do his deal which isn't how contracts work either. Cutler signed the contract and the Broncos have typically asked that players honor their rookie contracts and the team will take care of them. IIRC, Portis was the last Bronco to demand a new contract. Cutler also has not requested a new contract. Cutler also has $20 some million coming the next three seasons total or almost $7 million average which isn't exactly insulting. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that should Cutler have another good season that the Broncos will take care of him.

red98
03-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Read it again:

Doh!

Yes going by those numbers you are correct. mea culpa!

BigDaddyBronco
03-20-2009, 02:15 PM
I dont think cutler wants a new deal for the money. Thats where everyone keep getting hung up on. I dont recall ever him or BUS saying this...

Jay wants a new contract from the FO to show him he is their guy for the longterm.

Thats what Jay has said.

I said thin in another thread and i think it would solve most of the major issues right away.

Jay and the FO meet and Amend his contract with a NO TRADE claus. They also amend and gurantee that after this year assuming Jay doesnt tank they will also re-negotiate his contract and extend him out another 7-10 years...

Both sides win.

Jay gets the job secutiry he wants, Pat and the FO dont have to fork over anymoney this year, and then they can prove Jay is their guy after this year, by extending him out....

Seems easy enough to me.
Why do guys in the NFL want new contracts? To feel wanted?

No they want them for the guaranteed money. How the contract is structured is more important than the total value of the contract. I don't think it's a wild assumption to think that Cutler/Cook think that they could get a new long term contract with either a trade or a long-term deal with Denver that would give him another chunk of guaranteed money this year. Why not do it after a Pro-Bowl year with good numbers and before the new guy comes in with a different offense that could lower your numbers and thus your value. Sounds plausible to me.

nthngd2say
03-20-2009, 02:17 PM
I could be remembering this wrong, but I don't remember any new contract talks for Cutler before all the drama including Cutler or Bus Crook being quoted as thinking Cutler was under paid and deserved a new deal.

getlynched47
03-20-2009, 02:18 PM
I could be remembering this wrong, but I don't remember any new contract talks for Cutler before all the drama including Cutler or Bus Crook being quoted as thinking Cutler was under paid and deserved a new deal.

because Cutler never had a reason to demand a new contract.

McDipShit gave him that reason...

honz
03-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Cutler is barely half way through a deal that he willingly signed. A deal that will make him mega bucks in the coming years with all of his bonuses he is due. You don't renegotiate rookie contracts when they are only halfway completed. The Cutler "extremists" seem to be grasping for straws...

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 02:24 PM
In comparison to Marshall, I can see his want for a contract moreso than Cutler. Marshall was a 4th round draft choice and although he has his on field issues, he has also performed at a level where his numbers UNDOUBTEDLY are on par with elite recievers. When it comes to performance, he has proven alot more at his position and let's not pretend that he will ever make as much as a top QB.

Cutler, while his performance shows potential for greatness...just isnt there yet, so why would we reward someone for potential? Isnt that the point of a rookie contract? We'll pay you nicely for being a 1st round QB and if you do better, we'll pay better. So I ask, other than 4500 yards, what has Cutler done in 3 years that demands he be rewarded? If not for this recent drama would this even be a topic?

getlynched47
03-20-2009, 02:26 PM
In comparison to Marshall, I can see his want for a contract moreso than Cutler. Marshall was a 4th round draft choice and although he has his on field issues, he has also performed at a level where his numbers UNDOUBTEDLY are on par with elite recievers. When it comes to performance, he has proven alot more at his position and let's not pretend that he will ever make as much as a top QB.

Cutler, while his performance shows potential for greatness...just isnt there yet, so why would we reward someone for potential? Isnt that the point of a rookie contract? We'll pay you nicely for being a 1st round QB and if you do better, we'll pay better. So I ask, other than 4500 yards, what has Cutler done in 3 years that demands he be rewarded? If not for this recent drama would this even be a topic?

first round picks in the NFL draft are always rewarded for potential in the NFL...

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 02:26 PM

Since when does "You pissed me off" give someone a right to demand more money?

I'm going to cry, but if you give me more money to wipe away the tears, I'll be okay. Yeah...that says alot about a man's character

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 02:27 PM
first round picks in the NFL draft are always rewarded for potential in the NFL...

...and that's the contract he agreed to. My point is where has he exceeded that?

getlynched47
03-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Since when does "You pissed me off" give someone a right to demand more money?

I'm going to cry, but if you give me more money to wipe away the tears, I'll be okay. Yeah...that says alot about a man's character

since Bus Cook and any of his clients decided that a new contract is a commitment to the player...

It says a lot about Josh McDaniels that he doesnt publicly address this issue....he's a little bitch...

getlynched47
03-20-2009, 02:28 PM
...and that's the contract he agreed to. My point is where has he exceeded that?

He has obviously exceeded that. Click the link in my sig and be amazed at Cutler's greatness...

honz
03-20-2009, 02:30 PM

I'll answer!

He hasn't. :D Seriously, has there ever been any player on a rookie contract that renegotiated halfway through said contract? It simply doesn't work that way.

nthngd2say
03-20-2009, 02:30 PM

I understand that the Cassel trade raised many issues but I thought Cutler wanting/needing a new contract was only speculation on what might smooth things over with Cutler. I don't remember any quotes from Cutler or Bus Crook stating Cutler was unhappy with his current contract. Has Cutler asked or mentioned wanting his contract redone?

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 02:33 PM
He has obviously exceeded that. Click the link in my sig and be amazed at Cutler's greatness...

A few highlights makes a great player worthy of all the world's riches? There is nothing "obvious" about that

honz
03-20-2009, 02:33 PM
He has shown that he has the potential to be a potential HOF QB. He has also shown the ability to miss wide open receivers and throw redzone INT's in a must win game to clinch a playoff spot at home against a reeling Buffalo team.

DenBronx
03-20-2009, 02:34 PM
kirwan nailed it getlynched47. i neer saw the article until now. maybe you should post it.

Superchop 7
03-20-2009, 02:35 PM
If the Broncos want to play hardball.......

Then Jay can play hardball.....

It's that simple when trust is broken.

weazel
03-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Im seeing a theme here. Nothing is Jay's fault. Its either McDaniels' fault, Bowleens fault, or Cook's fault. You guys are freaking hilarious. Jay is gold and he can do no wrong!

red98
03-20-2009, 02:37 PM
I'll answer!

He hasn't. :D Seriously, has there ever been any player on a rookie contract that renegotiated halfway through said contract? It simply doesn't work that way.

Well, sometimes the team rewards a player at that point (TD).

But for a 1st rnd pick, teams often negotiate a new contract after the 4th season of a six year deal.

See Big Ben for a recent example.

Cutler was almost sure to get a new deal after the 2009 season. He doesn't deserve a new one right now, a year early, but if it keeps him here I would be all for it.

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 02:38 PM
I dont think anyone with a shred of sanity will doubt that Cutler could be something special. And I really doubt that anyone wants to see him traded, but to pacify him by giving him a monter contract based solely on the fact that you want him to "patch things up" is completely ridiculous.

I dont see it, but IF that is what it would take to make him happy, then I would prefer we ship him out. With all of the potential superstars we have (Marshall, Royal, Clady, etc), I really dont want to see a standard like that set here.

red98
03-20-2009, 02:39 PM
I understand that the Cassel trade raised many issues but I thought Cutler wanting/needing a new contract was only speculation on what might smooth things over with Cutler. I don't remember any quotes from Cutler or Bus Crook stating Cutler was unhappy with his current contract. Has Cutler asked or mentioned wanting his contract redone?

Nope, Bus even said it's not about a new contract. It's all speculation.

Of course if Jay is traded he will get a new contract. There is no way he accepts a trade without getting paid.

weazel
03-20-2009, 02:41 PM

thats why you dont run a multi-million dollar organization. and yes, I would like fries with that.

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Nope, Bus even said it's not about a new contract. It's all speculation.

Of course if Jay is traded he will get a new contract. There is no way he accepts a trade without getting paid.

Convenient

...and lets change the wording a bit. Last I heard jay didnt say he would ACCEPT a trade

DenBronx
03-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Im seeing a theme here. Nothing is Jay's fault. Its either McDaniels' fault, Bowleens fault, or Cook's fault. You guys are freaking hilarious. Jay is gold and he can do no wrong!

all parties involved are at fault but it works both ways. your going to shop your franchise qn then you better be prepared for him to shop himself if you dont go through with it.

its like the cheating husband....gonna feel up a woman because shes a hot cheerleader and stop in the middle because you dont want to go full throttle out of respect for your wife. the your wife finds out and you come home and shes doing some 7ft nba player.

Superchop 7
03-20-2009, 02:43 PM

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Correction:

Mc Kid is an idiot.

Bowlen is a drunken idiot.

Jay is standing his ground in the face of idiocy and betrayal.

roomemp
03-20-2009, 02:43 PM
since Bus Cook and any of his clients decided that a new contract is a commitment to the player...

It says a lot about Josh McDaniels that he doesnt publicly address this issue....he's a little bitch...

A new contract is a commitment in Cook's eyes alright.............A commitment to HIS bank account.

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 02:44 PM
all parties involved are at fault but it works both ways. your going to shop your franchise qn then you better be prepared for him to shop himself if you dont go through with it.

its like the cheating husband....gonna feel up a woman because shes a hot cheerleader and your wife finds out then you come home and shes doing some 7ft nba player.

Unless of course we have a contract that says she has to be loyal to me and doesnt say I cant look around

roomemp
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Correction:

Mc Kid is an idiot.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha :coffee:

red98
Convenient

...and lets change the wording a bit. Last I heard jay didnt say he would ACCEPT a trade

What I mean when I say accept is that Jay must agree to be traded to any particular team.

No way Detriot or whoever is going to trade us anything of value for a guy
that tells them "I ain't playing for you"

No way.

CoachChaz
Some people really shouldnt drink before they post here.

GEM
03-20-2009, 02:45 PM

Yep Snyder always pays....then ends up with his face in the dirt.

roomemp
03-20-2009, 02:46 PM
One thing I loved about Shanny. He made all of his players play out their rookie contracts. Remember Portis?????

weazel
03-20-2009, 02:47 PM

Correction:

Mc Kid is an idiot.

you might want to step back from the pipe

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 02:47 PM
What I mean when I say accept is that Jay must agree to be traded to any particular team.

No way Detriot or whoever is going to trade us anything of value for a guy
that tells them "I ain't playing for you"

No way.

But he really doesnt have a choice. if he goes...his contract goes with him. Most likely, so do the fines he'll acrue by sitting out.

Yes, his words and actions could play a part in dictating where he gets traded to, but ultimately he would destroy his credibility and bank account by refusing to play.

Suppose he gets traded to Detroit and tells them he wont play without a new contract. You dont think the entire NFL at that point looks at Jay as someone that simply cant be pacified. Again, he would destroy any credibility he may or may not have built through this current mess

GEM
03-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Well, sometimes the team rewards a player at that point (TD).

But for a 1st rnd pick, teams often negotiate a new contract after the 4th season of a six year deal.

See Big Ben for a recent example.

Cutler was almost sure to get a new deal after the 2009 season. He doesn't deserve a new one right now, a year early, but if it keeps him here I would be all for it.

Didn't Big Ben go 15-1 his first season and win the Super Bowl his second? :shrugs:

red98
03-20-2009, 02:49 PM
But he really doesnt have a choice. if he goes...his contract goes with him. Most likely, so do the fines he'll acrue by sitting out.

Yes, his words and actions could play a part in dictating where he gets traded to, but ultimately he would destroy his credibility and bank account by refusing to play.

Suppose he gets traded to Detroit and tells them he wont play without a new contract. You dont think the entire NFL at that point looks at Jay as someone that simply cant be pacified. Again, he would destroy any credibility he may or may not have built through this current mess

If you think Detroit, or any other team, is going to trade us anything for Jay Cutler, without first making sure Cutler want's to go there and without first negotiating a new contract you are crazy.

red98
03-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Didn't Big Ben go 15-1 his first season and win the Super Bowl his second? :shrugs:

I think so.

what's your point?

weazel
03-20-2009, 02:51 PM
I added the entire article to the first post in the thread

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 02:53 PM
If you think Detroit, or any other team, is going to trade us anything for Jay Cutler, without first making sure Cutler want's to go there and without first negotiating a new contract you are crazy.

Which is fine. Then we dont get what we want in return and he has no choice but to stay here. At that point, he can sit and become unwanted or he can go out and excel and prove his worth. Then...take the chance that he'll be just as good anywhere else.

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 02:54 PM
I think so.

what's your point?

I think she's saying he had amazing success on a rookie contract and didnt make any 'new contract" demands

underrated29
03-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Why do guys in the NFL want new contracts? To feel wanted?

No they want them for the guaranteed money. How the contract is structured is more important than the total value of the contract. I don't think it's a wild assumption to think that Cutler/Cook think that they could get a new long term contract with either a trade or a long-term deal with Denver that would give him another chunk of guaranteed money this year. Why not do it after a Pro-Bowl year with good numbers and before the new guy comes in with a different offense that could lower your numbers and thus your value. Sounds plausible to me.

Ya man to feel wanted. And Job security.

If my hockey were a pro hockey team and they were trying to trade me then not, and i didnt trust them..The only real reason i would want to stay and play for them is to get a longterm contract to show me that i am not going anywhere.....I could get paid 500k a year until the last year where i get 50 mil..Doesnt matter to me as long as i am in their long term plans and getting what i am worth.....

Not saying what you said doesnt hold water, as it certainly does, but so far we have no real reasons or verbage from jay or bus that money is on their minds.

red98
03-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Which is fine. Then we dont get what we want in return and he has no choice but to stay here. At that point, he can sit and become unwanted or he can go out and excel and prove his worth. Then...take the chance that he'll be just as good anywhere else.

I got no problem with that. I hope they they just hold him to his contract
and if he tries to hold out, let him sit 'til he comes to his senses.

The only reason I'd be OK with giving him a new contract now is because
I want the BS to end.

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 03:07 PM
I got no problem with that. I hope they they just hold him to his contract
and if he tries to hold out, let him sit 'til he comes to his senses.

The only reason I'd be OK with giving him a new contract now is because
I want the BS to end.

I can get on board with this. Just have a problem with the contract thing.

Maybe sit with him and tell him you understand where he's at and that you arent trading him. Tell him if he plays as great in this system as you think he can, then you'll reward him with a new contract next season. If he doesnt want to sign long term, then all you did is boost his value and you now know he wont stay and you can groom a replacement.

There are ways to solve this without immediately going for the checkbook, but BOTH sides have to realize their mistakes and realize they have to give a little to get a little.

red98
03-20-2009, 03:14 PM
I think she's saying he had amazing success on a rookie contract and didnt make any 'new contract" demands

Well that's a good point then GEM. Like I said he doesn't deserve a new contract yet.

Poet
03-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Jim Rome is the best in the business.

WARHORSE
03-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Its as simple as telling Cutler he is not going to be traded, no way no how.

They wont do that.

Why wont they do that?

Cause theyre IDIOTS.

WARHORSE
03-20-2009, 03:19 PM
As for all the articles, this is plagiarism at its best.

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Its as simple as telling Cutler he is not going to be traded, no way no how.

They wont do that.

Why wont they do that?

Cause theyre IDIOTS.

Haven't they? They did publicly state that they ARE NOT trading Jay Cutler. Now I guess I understand that Jay is upset that McD said there was always the possibility that anyone could be traded if it benefits the team, but that's not saying he will be traded.

As I've said from the beginning, alot of the conversation between the two sides in this situation has been really vague and I think that's where the problem lies. One tries to explain something, but does so in a manner that the other cant grasp and here we are. Communication on both sides has sucked thus far.

weazel
03-20-2009, 03:49 PM
As for all the articles, this is plagiarism at its best.

Im confused, are you saying that me posting it is plagiarism? It isn't, I posted the source and did not mislead anyone into thinking that I wrote it.

Man you ARE grumpy. Everything works out in the end man

NightTrainLayne
03-20-2009, 05:10 PM

So. .. if I understand this right, correct me if I'm wrong:

This year Jay gets:

$1.035 Million Guaranteed

$100k workout bonus: WHOOPS! missed out on that now.

Another $1.95 Million if he makes it into the top-5 in any of the major passing categories (not a lock, but a decent bet based on this year's production)+

plus a $4 million bonus for taking 70% of the snaps in 2009.

By my calculations, if he would have come to work-outs this week he would have the potential to earn $7.085 million this year.

BroncoJoe
03-20-2009, 05:21 PM
So. .. if I understand this right, correct me if I'm wrong:

This year Jay gets:

$1.035 Million Guaranteed

$100k workout bonus: WHOOPS! missed out on that now.

Another $1.95 Million if he makes it into the top-5 in any of the major passing categories (not a lock, but a decent bet based on this year's production)+

plus a $4 million bonus for taking 70% of the snaps in 2009.

By my calculations, if he would have come to work-outs this week he would have the potential to earn $7.085 million this year.

You are correct.

Buff
03-20-2009, 05:22 PM

So let me get this straight, even if your global spokesman through your company under the bus in the national media, you'd still give him a raise?

What about after he made it known publicly that he wants out of the company... Would you still give him a raise then?

Buff
03-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Ya man to feel wanted. And Job security.

If my hockey were a pro hockey team and they were trying to trade me then not, and i didnt trust them..The only real reason i would want to stay and play for them is to get a longterm contract to show me that i am not going anywhere.....I could get paid 500k a year until the last year where i get 50 mil..Doesnt matter to me as long as i am in their long term plans and getting what i am worth.....

Not saying what you said doesnt hold water, as it certainly does, but so far we have no real reasons or verbage from jay or bus that money is on their minds.

Well of course they aren't going to come out and say they want more money. I can take all I need to know from their actions and their half-assed attempts at reconciliation. As McDaniels said, if they both had the same intentions, then they wouldn't have had completely opposite interpretations of the meetings. Cutler and Cook are pushing their agenda to get out of town, which will involve another payday.

getlynched47
03-20-2009, 06:11 PM

it is Jay's faut. It is McDaniels' fault. It is Bowlen's fault.

All of them share responsibility for this entire mess, but all I see is everybody either blaming McDaniels fully or Cutler fully.

get real...

EMB6903
03-20-2009, 06:17 PM
I think Bowlen is the #1 blame... sure he wasnt the reason this all happened but he has full authority yet is continuing to sit back and watch this organization become more of a mess

What kind of owner doesnt attend the meeting that was held last weekend?

getlynched47
03-20-2009, 06:20 PM
I think Bowlen is the #1 blame, he has full authority yet is continuing to sit back and watch this organization become more of a mess

What kind of owner doesnt attend that meeting that was held last weekend?

Bowlen has never wanted to stick his head in the football personel part of the NFL...when he fired Shanahan a reporter asked him if he would become more involved in the player decision making like Jerry Jones, and his response was "Hell No".

Bowlen has always been like that. The thing that ticks me off is that he doesnt realize how valuable Jay Cutler is to our franchise.

To prove how inept Bowlen is, didnt he say "I run the show"? Yeah sure you do Bowlen.....you're just McDaniels b**** now...just like you were Shanahan's b****.

:lol:

EMB6903
03-20-2009, 06:24 PM
It actually surprised me that Bowlen continued to sit back while the media and fans continued to verbally abuse Cutler and Mcdaniels. I didnt realize how much Shanahan made him look good.... 3 months after Shanny leaves this is where we stand... an absolute mess

Pat Bowlen= Over-rated

bud
03-20-2009, 07:45 PM
You're quoting sports writers again?

Did you know?

Randy Gradishar

10 seasons in NFL (all in Denver)
2049 tackles
20.5 sacks
20 interceptions

In 11 seasons, Jack Lambert had:
ONLY a pathetic 1479 tackles
23.5 sacks
29 interceptions

Lambert played on a better unit than Gradishar did. Lambert didn't have the speed or range of Gradishar, either. Good thing the Steelers didn't need Lambert to work sideline to sideline all day long...

Lambert played in Pittsburgh on the Steel Curtain defense. He's immortal and in the Hall of Fame.

Gradishar played in Denver on the Orange Crush. He's forgotten and ignored.

Lambert and Gradishar's stats were compiled in the same manner by the same people. Yet, Gradishar's stats are questioned and mocked; Lambert's stats are celebrated and touted.

Quit listening to people that don't care what happens the Broncos.

The team needs its new coach and its star quarterback to succeed.

Rome is just another moron running his mouth to get his paycheck.

bcbronc
03-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Bowlen has never wanted to stick his head in the football personel part of the NFL...when he fired Shanahan a reporter asked him if he would become more involved in the player decision making like Jerry Jones, and his response was "Hell No".

Bowlen has always been like that. The thing that ticks me off is that he doesnt realize how valuable Jay Cutler is to our franchise.

To prove how inept Bowlen is, didnt he say "I run the show"? Yeah sure you do Bowlen.....you're just McDaniels b**** now...just like you were Shanahan's b****.

:lol:

I see this in the exact opposite light as you do. I thank our lucky stars Bowlen isn't a fly-off-the-handle shoot-from-the-hip type owner. Unlike the Reeves-Elway split where BOTH had been with the organization for years, Bowlen just hired McDaniels. if he has that little confidence in his hiring process, we're in for a long, ugly ride.

you really want a gong show like Oak? Honestly, I'd rather be set back a few years because we gave away a franchise qb than be the permanent FUBAR that is the Oakland Raiders.

getlynched47
03-20-2009, 09:20 PM
I see this in the exact opposite light as you do. I thank our lucky stars Bowlen isn't a fly-off-the-handle shoot-from-the-hip type owner. Unlike the Reeves-Elway split where BOTH had been with the organization for years, Bowlen just hired McDaniels. if he has that little confidence in his hiring process, we're in for a long, ugly ride.

you really want a gong show like Oak? Honestly, I'd rather be set back a few years because we gave away a franchise qb than be the permanent FUBAR that is the Oakland Raiders.

We're ALREADY having to endure "a gong show like Oak"........:coffee:

We've become the laughing stock of the NFL next to the Detroit Lions...

bcbronc
03-20-2009, 09:25 PM
We're ALREADY having to endure "a gong show like Oak"........:coffee:

We've become the laughing stock of the NFL next to the Detroit Lions...

c'mon, save the drama for yer mama.

getlynched47
03-20-2009, 09:27 PM
c'mon, save the drama for yer mama.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BYX14125JUQ/R6AtEcajqXI/AAAAAAAAEiA/idKVU0_9t-s/s400/millionaire_idiot_fail.jpg

Fail

one of the lamest attempts at a joke I've seen in a while :coffee:

bcbronc
03-20-2009, 09:28 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BYX14125JUQ/R6AtEcajqXI/AAAAAAAAEiA/idKVU0_9t-s/s400/millionaire_idiot_fail.jpg

Fail

one of the lamest attempts at a joke I've seen in a while :coffee:

yours or mine? both were pretty bad.

getlynched47
03-20-2009, 09:29 PM
yours or mine? both were pretty bad.

i didnt give a joke......you had some lame ass joke that referenced my "mama" :coffee:

bcbronc
03-20-2009, 09:30 PM
i didnt give a joke......you had some lame ass joke that referenced my "mama" :coffee:

oh, you were being serious all this time? my bad.

:coffee:

weazel
03-21-2009, 01:46 AM
You're quoting sports writers again?

Did you know?

Randy Gradishar

10 seasons in NFL (all in Denver)
2049 tackles
20.5 sacks
20 interceptions

In 11 seasons, Jack Lambert had:
ONLY a pathetic 1479 tackles
23.5 sacks
29 interceptions

Lambert played on a better unit than Gradishar did. Lambert didn't have the speed or range of Gradishar, either. Good thing the Steelers didn't need Lambert to work sideline to sideline all day long...

Lambert played in Pittsburgh on the Steel Curtain defense. He's immortal and in the Hall of Fame.

Gradishar played in Denver on the Orange Crush. He's forgotten and ignored.

Lambert and Gradishar's stats were compiled in the same manner by the same people. Yet, Gradishar's stats are questioned and mocked; Lambert's stats are celebrated and touted.

Quit listening to people that don't care what happens the Broncos.

The team needs its new coach and its star quarterback to succeed.

Rome is just another moron running his mouth to get his paycheck.

I am quoting sports writers again? every flippin person on here does that. I said his take was funny, I didnt say that what he said was written in gold and should be looked upon as the new holy grail.

Get over yourself.

From now on I will do things differently...

If I see a story from a well known sports writer / commentator like Rome I will not read or listen to it, its obvious garbage. Instead I should listen to whatever "bud" say's... what bud says is gold, and I should only listen to what he says because sporst writers don't know shit about what they write.

I mean bud writes well thought out pieces for a fan forum, and these lame sports writers only host their own shows and write daily columns for multi-million dollar news outlets. I mean, ten's of people see what bud writes, and only millions listen to people like Rome. Everyone is clammering to hear bud, Rome is ignored throughout the world.

Sorry bud, I will stop listening to deadbeats like Rome and listen blindly to your rhetoric. You my friend are god.

warcrychief
03-21-2009, 05:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbzBPwgOjbE

Jim Rome did have some great takes lol

bud
03-21-2009, 10:06 AM
The media celebrates every time the situation deteriorates in Denver. And, none of their input is particularly helpful.

Rome is stirring the pot for a paycheck. He doesn't give a darn what happens to the Denver Broncos.

Why would I care about advice and input from a person that doesn't care if Denver wins or loses?

Sportswriters are only interesting when they give real insight into what happens on the football field.

Rome doesn't help me understand the playcalls, players, or stats any better. He's not in the locker room talking with the guys like Reggie Rivers either...

Rome just sits around and runs his mouth about what people should and shouldn't do. The funny thing about it: he doesn't really care what happens to the targets of his commentary.

His only motive is the paycheck. He just wants to make quick hit and run comments and spend money. Last time I checked, everyone on this forum was capable of that.

Rome doesn't contribute anything of substance to the world of sports--or the world in general.

weazel
03-21-2009, 10:54 AM
The media celebrates every time the situation deteriorates in Denver. And, none of their input is particularly helpful.

Rome is stirring the pot for a paycheck. He doesn't give a darn what happens to the Denver Broncos.

Why would I care about advice and input from a person that doesn't care if Denver wins or loses?

Sportswriters are only interesting when they give real insight into what happens on the football field.

Rome doesn't help me understand the playcalls, players, or stats any better. He's not in the locker room talking with the guys like Reggie Rivers either...

Rome just sits around and runs his mouth about what people should and shouldn't do. The funny thing about it: he doesn't really care what happens to the targets of his commentary.

His only motive is the paycheck. He just wants to make quick hit and run comments and spend money. Last time I checked, everyone on this forum was capable of that.

Rome doesn't contribute anything of substance to the world of sports--or the world in general.

no one said that he had a vested interest in the Broncos. I merely supplied a couple lines from his show that I thought were pretty good. I was going to argue about it more, but now I'm bored with it.

DenBronx
03-21-2009, 05:10 PM
So let me get this straight, even if your global spokesman through your company under the bus in the national media, you'd still give him a raise?

What about after he made it known publicly that he wants out of the company... Would you still give him a raise then?

i fully expect the spokeman to jump ship with another company if he heard we were trying to fire him. it works both ways. fact is, cutler didnt instigate anything.

BoltsOwnU
03-21-2009, 06:07 PM

Actually, if anything, the Chargers should give him a raise so Denver can keep him. He's been dynamite for us.:D

gobroncsnv
03-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Yeah, buddy, all those rings for the Chargers.... maybe you could get the players to get in touch with Cash-4-Gold because of all of their SB rings.