PDA

View Full Version : Broncos TE Tony Scheffler Skips Team Workouts

fcspikeit
03-20-2009, 11:37 AM
The source of this info comes from Roto Times.com

Tight end Tony Scheffler is absent from the Broncos' off-season training program, according to the Denver Post. Scheffler is not pleased that the Broncos put him on the trading block earlier in March. Scheffler is a solid receiver, but is not a good blocker, which is a negative for Josh McDaniels' offense.

I thought something was said about Sheffler's plans of not attending the meeting. But I hadn't heard whether he did attend or not.. It appears he decided to skip it. I guess there is more trouble in Dove Valley then the Broncos FO would like to let on.. I am surprised this wasn't reported earlier.. It would have been a good story to pair with the alienation of Cutler by the Broncos brass.

BroncoJoe
03-20-2009, 11:42 AM
It's been talked about. Also, Casey Wigmann (sp ?) is not attending either.

turftoad
03-20-2009, 11:43 AM
The source of this info comes from Roto Times.com

I thought something was said about Sheffler's plans of not attending the meeting. But I hadn't heard whether he did attend or not.. It appears he decided to skip it. I guess there is more trouble in Dove Valley then the Broncos FO would like to let on.. I am surprised this wasn't reported earlier.. It would have been a good story to pair with the alienation of Cutler by the Broncos brass.

Shef is Cutlers best friend on team. I'm sure Cutler isn't happy about this either.

getlynched47
03-20-2009, 11:47 AM
This is just getting blown out of proportion. It isnt mandatory to attend these things :rolleyes:...just because Cutler and Scheffler arent attending doesnt mean that they arent working out...

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11954824

Broncos tight end Tony Scheffler has opted not to do conditioning workouts with the team at Dove Valley. Scheffler attended the team meeting with McDaniels on Monday, but since then he has been working out with Steve Hess, the trainer for the Nuggets.

Scheffler has been the subject of trade rumors in recent weeks.

Have a nice day :coffee:

Den21vsBal19
03-20-2009, 11:51 AM
It's been talked about. Also, Casey Wigmann (sp ?) is not attending either.
IIRC, Weigman has permision to rest his old bones

BroncoJoe
03-20-2009, 11:54 AM
IIRC, Weigman has permision to rest his old bones

I thought it was because his new contract hasn't been worked out...

Buff
03-20-2009, 11:56 AM
I thought it was because his new contract hasn't been worked out...

No, Wiegmann did show up. Klis reported that he wasn't going to show and that he had cleared it with McDaniels... Then a week later, Bill Williamson said that Wiegmann was going to show up as a good faith move (in other words, he doesn't have a new contract, and the only way to get one is to show up.)

fcspikeit
03-20-2009, 11:59 AM
No, Wiegmann did show up. Klis reported that he wasn't going to show and that he had cleared it with McDaniels... Then a week later, Bill Williamson said that Wiegmann was going to show up as a good faith move (in other words, he doesn't have a new contract, and the only way to get one is to show up.)

Yeah, I thought I remembered reading that Wiegmann did show up at least for the meeting..

Dawk didn't show but he was given permission not to...

getlynched47
03-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I thought I remembered reading that Wiegmann did show up at least for the meeting..

Dawk didn't show but he was given permission not to...

Dawk wasnt there because he was doing something for the NFLPA i think...

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Is this the new trend? Get discussed in trade rumors and dont show up to work with your teammates? Just curious

Buff
03-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Is this the new trend? Get discussed in trade rumors and dont show up to work with your teammates? Just curious

If you're a bus cook client, the trend isn't new at all.

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 12:47 PM
If you're a bus cook client, the trend isn't new at all.

Good point. Thanks for the reminder.

dogfish
03-20-2009, 02:04 PM
why is it that we got lonie paxton in here ASAFP, and were able to sign a boatload of second and third tier FAs, but we haven't worked out a new deal for weigmann? the guy was a rock last year, his leadership and line calls were huge for a very green O-line. . . .

getlynched47
03-20-2009, 02:07 PM
why is it that we got lonie paxton in here ASAFP, and were able to sign a boatload of second and third tier FAs, but we haven't worked out a new deal for weigmann? the guy was a rock last year, his leadership and line calls were huge for a very green O-line. . . .

remember...we're dealing with McDipShit...the guy that wants to trade the franchise quarterback we've lacked since Elway retired :rolleyes:

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 02:29 PM
remember...we're dealing with McDipShit...the guy that wants to trade the franchise quarterback we've lacked since Elway retired :rolleyes:

Yeah...that's why.

I completely forgot that it was entirely up to the head coach to discuss, negotiate and reward contracts.

Superchop 7
03-20-2009, 02:38 PM
What Cutler is doing makes sense.

What Tony is doing is career suicide.

Because he can't block his value isn't what he thinks it is.

Do the right thing Tony, you made your point.

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 02:40 PM
What Cutler is doing makes sense.

What Tony is doing is career suicide.

Because he can't block his value isn't what he thinks it is.

Do the right thing Tony, you made your point.

Yeah, convince the players that are dedicated to each other that this makes sense. the me first money mongers might see it that way, but I prefer to believe the true players see it otherwise

Chris90210
03-20-2009, 09:42 PM
cutler = needs to grow up but i can kinda see this both ways
shef = you mad dumb son

MOtorboat
03-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Bus Cook is a moron.

bud
03-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Would you start working to join a team that is determined to trade you?

Scheffler is just waiting to find out where he will be playing ball next season. I'm sure he'll be happy to attend meetings and workouts with a team that wants him.

Unlike Cutler, the Broncos have made it clear they are determined to unload Scheffler. No matter what, I think Scheffler is going to be gone by the end of the draft. It's not a rumor; McDaniels truly doesn't believe that Scheffler is going to fit into the new offense. He's going to be dealt.

Shazam!
03-20-2009, 10:19 PM
I wonder how many games he'll miss next year?

broncobryce
03-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Besides, dont you remember? We're drafting Pettigrew 12th overall....... :rolleyes:

Benetto
03-21-2009, 01:18 PM
If Jay Cutler told Tony Sheffler to jump off of a cliff, he would do it.:coffee:

Lonestar
03-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Would you start working to join a team that is determined to trade you?

Scheffler is just waiting to find out where he will be playing ball next season. I'm sure he'll be happy to attend meetings and workouts with a team that wants him.

Unlike Cutler, the Broncos have made it clear they are determined to unload Scheffler. No matter what, I think Scheffler is going to be gone by the end of the draft. It's not a rumor; McDaniels truly doesn't believe that Scheffler is going to fit into the new offense. He's going to be dealt.

while they may be shopping him.. I behooves him to learn the offense if he is not traded..

By not showing up he confirms to the coach he is not going to fit in.. then he can offer him to some really crappy team just out of spite..

prima donna players need to know that they have everything to lose and nothing to gain by telling the new boss they are under contract to, to shove it..

atwater27
03-21-2009, 01:27 PM
I love Tony to death, but he simply gets injured too much to play hardball and win.

DenBronx
03-21-2009, 01:42 PM
I wonder what we could get for Sheffler. I'm actually wondering since Cleveland dealt K2 that they might be a good trade partner. We really need Shaun Rogers. Sheff for Rogers straight up? I can't think of any draft pick that would make as big of an impact as Rogers and Sheff would help fill the void left by Winslow.

broncohead
03-21-2009, 01:46 PM
I wonder what we could get for Sheffler. I'm actually wondering since Cleveland dealt K2 that they might be a good trade partner. We really need Shaun Rogers. Sheff for Rogers straight up? I can't think of any draft pick that would make as big of an impact as Rogers and Sheff would help fill the void left by Winslow.

We would probably have to give up a mid round pick for something like that.

atwater27
03-21-2009, 01:47 PM

Dude, Shaun Rogers is like the 2nd best D tackle in all of football. you couldn't trade a 1st round pick a second round pick and Tony Scheffler for Rogers even in Madden.

Lonestar
03-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Dude, Shaun Rogers is like the 2nd best D tackle in all of football. you couldn't trade a 1st round pick a second round pick and Tony Scheffler for Rogers even in Madden.

you beat me to this one ..

DenBronx
03-21-2009, 02:48 PM

um....rogers was traded for a 3rd round pick last year. his value has decreased a little now that teams know he wants out.

dogfish
03-21-2009, 02:50 PM
while they may be shopping him.. I behooves him to learn the offense if he is not traded..

By not showing up he confirms to the coach he is not going to fit in.. then he can offer him to some really crappy team just out of spite..

prima donna players need to know that they have everything to lose and nothing to gain by telling the new boss they are under contract to, to shove it..

that word, prima donna-- it gets used too much around here. . . . now chef's a prima donna because he skipped a voluntary activity?

it's funny, i sure never remember you calling your boy jake a prima donna, and he skipped more voluntary workouts and activities than anyone else while he was with the broncos. . . .

Lonestar
03-21-2009, 02:54 PM
that word, prima donna-- it gets used too much around here. . . . now chef's a prima donna because he skipped a voluntary activity?

it's funny, i sure never remember you calling your boy jake a prima donna, and he skipped more voluntary workouts and activities than anyone else while he was with the broncos. . . .

wow more Jake talk.. let it rest to the best of my knowledge no body cared if Jake was around at workouts or not..

back of topic

anyone taking action from a weak position is IMHO a prima donna or a fool..

DenBronx
03-21-2009, 03:01 PM
i dont think its smart for sheff to skip the workouts but he is far from prima donna.

Lonestar
03-21-2009, 03:04 PM
i dont think its smart for sheff to skip the workouts but he is far from prima donna.

your entitled to your thoughts.. regardless..

DenBronx
03-21-2009, 03:09 PM
your entitled to your thoughts.. regardless..

i think he's preparing to be dealt...he's still working out privately. he's always been a hard worker and never has been any trouble.

i just thought cleveland would be a good landing spot for him and maybe rogers for us.

dogfish
03-21-2009, 03:21 PM
wow more Jake talk.. let it rest to the best of my knowledge no body cared if Jake was around at workouts or not..

so why should anybody care if jay or tony are around for workouts or not?

Lonestar
03-21-2009, 03:48 PM

other than it costing them valuable time learning the new guys and scheme IMHO NADA..

I'm not the one whining about poor jay not being treated fairly..

if they want to be stupid let them it only costs them in the end..

nevcraw
03-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Jr. they are not installing the playbook during voluntary offseason workouts.. Aren't you being a bit melodramatic about the importance of voluntary weight lifting and running?

Schef obviosly knows he's on the block if we do, so good for him not showing up. Blame him for not going to a voluntary training for a team looking to move him.. LOL

MOtorboat
03-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Jr. they are not installing the playbook during voluntary offseason workouts..

Um...what are they doing then? Drinking tea and eating cake?

TXBRONC
03-21-2009, 07:12 PM
i think he's preparing to be dealt...he's still working out privately. he's always been a hard worker and never has been any trouble.

i just thought cleveland would be a good landing spot for him and maybe rogers for us.

I don't at this point McDaniels wants to trade him now if he can avoid it. I keep reading the team is optimistic that things can be smoothed out.

Watchthemiddle
03-21-2009, 07:16 PM

Maybe because Jay is supposed to be the "leader" on the team....?!?!?!..

Call me crazy

MOtorboat
03-21-2009, 07:17 PM
I don't at this point McDaniels wants to trade him now if he can avoid it. I keep reading the team is optimistic that things can be smoothed out.

Only believe what Cutler and his agent say. The Broncos are lying.

Watchthemiddle
03-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Jr. they are not installing the playbook during voluntary offseason workouts.. Aren't you being a bit melodramatic about the importance of voluntary weight lifting and running?

Schef obviosly knows he's on the block if we do, so good for him not showing up. Blame him for not going to a voluntary training for a team looking to move him.. LOL

And what if he is not traded? Qualitiy team players these two are. No wonder they are best friends. They think alike and appareantly have a lot to learn about the way the NFL works.

I might get traded...boo hoo....so I am not going to do my job....:Cry::Cry:

nevcraw
03-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Um...what are they doing then? Drinking tea and eating cake?

it's called work out for a reason.. They are there to get in shape.. suprised you did not know this. They do not start installing the offense until mini camp.

I know this view go against the drama queen populace on the forum.. so be it.. If the teams make these work oputs manadory then you all can wad up your panty's all you want but by schef not being there he is hurting the team nada.....

Kapaibro
03-21-2009, 07:33 PM
another Bus Cook client being an ass

nevcraw
03-21-2009, 07:34 PM
And what if he is not traded? Qualitiy team players these two are. No wonder they are best friends. They think alike and appareantly have a lot to learn about the way the NFL works.

I might get traded...boo hoo....so I am not going to do my job....:Cry::Cry:

I am pretty sure you are less in the know on how it works then these 2. But thanks for playing.. :beer:

MOtorboat
03-21-2009, 07:37 PM
it's called work out for a reason.. They are there to get in shape.. suprised you did not know this. They do not start installing the offense until mini camp.

***cough***cough***bullshit***cough***

To get in shape...lol...

atwater27
03-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Only believe what Cutler and his agent say. The Broncos are lying.

Read my sig.

MOtorboat
03-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Read my sig.

Or we could just agree with the agent who is known for creating drama and a player who is acting like a child.

P.S. I don't give a **** what your sig says...:rolleyes:

getlynched47
03-21-2009, 07:38 PM
A lot of you seem not to know the concept of the word VOLUNTARY!

It isnt mandatory...its not the end of the world if Cutler and/or Scheffler dont attend.

Read post #4 and quite freakin out...

MOtorboat
03-21-2009, 07:40 PM

It's mandatory...its not the end of the world if Cutler and/or Scheffler dont attend.

I have a ton of "voluntary" parts of my job...I'm also expected to be there.

getlynched47
03-21-2009, 07:41 PM
I have a ton of "voluntary" parts of my job...I'm also expected to be there.

they've got you on a leash then :coffee:

;)

MOtorboat
03-21-2009, 07:42 PM
they've got you on a leash then :coffee:

;)

Damn that pay check.

nevcraw
03-21-2009, 07:44 PM
where were all the John Lynch haters when he did not go to the voluntary work outs last season?

getlynched47
03-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Damn that pay check.

pay checks are overated...

MOtorboat
03-21-2009, 07:45 PM
where were all the John Lynch haters when he did not go to the voluntary work outs last season?

John Lynch wasn't trying to learn a new defense.

Next argument.

MOtorboat
03-21-2009, 07:46 PM
pay checks are overated...

I know. When I grow up, I'm going to be a vagrant.

getlynched47
03-21-2009, 07:50 PM
I know. When I grow up, I'm going to be a vagrant.

I am already a vagrant :lol:

nevcraw
03-21-2009, 07:53 PM
***cough***cough***bullshit***cough***

To get in shape...lol...

You are right.. 1 month from the draft, just 2 short months from the end of the season, they are scripting and running plays..

They created the offseason volantary workout to help players stay and get into shape prior to training camp.. again suprised a football sevant of your caliber would not know this..

MOtorboat
03-21-2009, 07:55 PM
You are right.. 1 month from the draft, just 2 short months from the end of the season, they are scripting and running plays..

They created the offseason volantary workout to help players stay and get into shape prior to training camp.. again suprised a football sevant of your caliber would not know this..

Yes. They did create it for that. What its become is different, however, and refusing to attend is childish, actually.

I'm actually surprised that you really think they don't discuss overall team philosophy at these workouts and meetings. Quite hilarious, actually.

nevcraw
03-21-2009, 07:55 PM
John Lynch wasn't trying to learn a new defense.

Next argument.

we covered that lesson already... time for your next class sonny

MOtorboat
03-21-2009, 07:57 PM
we covered that lesson already... time for your next class sonny

Just out of curiosity...was your boy Brian Dawkins there? I'm guessing that mofo is in good shape year-round...so...why, exactly would he attend a "voluntary" meeting? Maybe because he's trying to learn a new system. :noidea:

MOtorboat
03-21-2009, 08:01 PM
With your newfound love for McDaniels and hatred of Cutler, you are actually more of a Patriot fan than a Broncos fan.

More of the "If you don't love Cutler, you're not a Broncos fan" argument.

Hilarious.

I hope you're a Lions fan.

atwater27
03-21-2009, 08:03 PM
More of the "If you don't love Cutler, you're not a Broncos fan" argument.

Hilarious.

I hope you're a Lions fan.

Why would you believe everything and side with a guy who hasn't coached a single game as a head coach let alone our head coach over a guy who has played the last 3 years in a orange and blue uni?

MOtorboat
03-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Why would you believe everything and side with a guy who hasn't coached a single game as a head coach let alone our head coach over a guy who has played the last 3 years in a orange and blue uni?

I can't help that you can't believe what the front office says. :noidea:

I can't help that you believe in this bullshit theory and the drama that Bus Cook and Jay Cutler have created. :noidea:

I also can't change that you're completely blind to logic.

atwater27
03-21-2009, 08:06 PM
I can't help that you can't believe what the front office says. :noidea:

I can't help that you believe in this bullshit theory and the drama that Bus Cook and Jay Cutler have created. :noidea:

I also can't change that you're completely blind to logic.

SO let me get this straight. The player is always wrong and the front office is always right. Correct?

MOtorboat
03-21-2009, 08:08 PM
SO let me get this straight. The player is always wrong and the front office is always right. Correct?

Did I say that?

atwater27
03-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Did I say that?

SO just this time, right?

TXBRONC
03-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Did I say that?

If not I think you're getting close to saying that.

silkamilkamonico
03-21-2009, 08:13 PM
LMAO at all this soap opera over a losing "franchise" QB who has the mental intellect of a 7 year old, is looking to be more and more wrong by the day, and will probably be to "proud" to admit his mistake and actually start working again for his employer.

MOtorboat
03-21-2009, 08:13 PM
If not I think you're getting close to saying that.

Well, I'm not.

I'm basing my opinion off of what is publicly said. Jay Cutler and his agent are now making conversations up, and people are STILL blaming McDaniels. I'm sorry if you can't see that.

I'm also not going to act very nice to someone who tells me I'm not a fan of the Broncos if I don't support Jay Cutler. Frankly, that's just ******* stupid.

nevcraw
03-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Just out of curiosity...was your boy Brian Dawkins there? I'm guessing that mofo is in good shape year-round...so...why, exactly would he attend a "voluntary" meeting? Maybe because he's trying to learn a new system. :noidea:

no idea whatsoever.. maybe he and wife need tgo find a house and he rather work out at the facility than spend money on a gym memebership...

Players on every team do not go to the volunarty offseason workouts.. First time it's ever caused such a tizzy from the drama club.

MOtorboat
03-21-2009, 08:17 PM
no idea whatsoever.. maybe he and wife need tgo find a house and he rather work out at the facility than spend money on a gym memebership...

Players on every team do not go to the volunarty offseason workouts.. First time it's ever caused such a tizzy from the drama club.

The only drama being created is by Bus Cook and Jay Cutler.

I could care less if he attended this, but if he's going to publicly act like this and demand trades AND not attend workouts, then its a problem.

nevcraw
03-21-2009, 08:23 PM
The only drama being created is by Bus Cook and Jay Cutler.

I could care less if he attended this, but if he's going to publicly act like this and demand trades AND not attend workouts, then its a problem.

Scheftler has demanded a trade? Has he spoken to the media?
My bad , I thought this thread was about Scheftler skipping workouts...

fcspikeit
03-21-2009, 08:45 PM

Actually, I'm pretty sure Dawkins wasn't there on Monday for the meeting..

I'm also pretty sure the reason he wasn't there had a lot to do with money..

getlynched47
03-21-2009, 08:47 PM

No Dawkins wasnt there because he was doing something with the NFL Players Association...

fcspikeit
03-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Scheftler has demanded a trade? Has he spoken to the media?
My bad , I thought this thread was about Scheftler skipping workouts...

Besides that, Sheff came to the meeting right? Didn't he just skip the "workout" part? :confused:

fcspikeit
03-21-2009, 08:49 PM
No Dawkins wasnt there because he was doing something with the NFL Players Association...

As if the NFLPA association isn't about money :lol:

horsepig
03-21-2009, 08:49 PM

We are not talking about intramurals here, or town league coed softball. Scheff is literally making millions at this JOB. NFL players have a very limited horizon as far as longevity is concerned and EVERY SINGLE effort should be made, IMHO, to make the most while you can.
Falling behind in a very, very competitive situation is not a very good strategy, unless you're Jerry Rice and, I can't imagine Rice ever skipping one possible second to make himself the best player at his position possible.
Scheffler is just marking himself as a crybaby. A middle of the road NFL tightend acting like a diva. Quote from Sarah Silverman: "All these people who want to be considered to be divas are really just c--ts!".
If I'm a coach looking for a whiny, often injured TE that flourished here and there in Shanny's weird system and can't block a turkey, I just might offer the Broncos a middle 5th round pick, maybe not.

getlynched47
03-21-2009, 08:50 PM
As if the NFLPA association isn't about money :lol:

Dawkins has been a part of the NFLPA for a long time I think...

Denver Native (Carol)
03-21-2009, 08:59 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11928410

Jay Cutler wasn't the only Pro Bowl player absent from the beginning of Monday's offseason training program.

Safety Brian Dawkins, the marquee player in the Broncos' large crop of free agents, was in Hawaii for an NFL Players Association meeting in which the union elected a new executive director. Dawkins is a member of the NFLPA's executive committee and also has Ebenezer Ekuban — a free agent who was not re-signed by the team — as the Broncos' union representative. The NFLPA selected attorney DeMaurice Smith as its new leader.

A team spokesman said Dawkins, 35, is expected to be back in Denver later this week.

getlynched47
03-21-2009, 09:01 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11928410

Jay Cutler wasn't the only Pro Bowl player absent from the beginning of Monday's offseason training program.

Safety Brian Dawkins, the marquee player in the Broncos' large crop of free agents, was in Hawaii for an NFL Players Association meeting in which the union elected a new executive director. Dawkins is a member of the NFLPA's executive committee and also has Ebenezer Ekuban — a free agent who was not re-signed by the team — as the Broncos' union representative. The NFLPA selected attorney DeMaurice Smith as its new leader.

A team spokesman said Dawkins, 35, is expected to be back in Denver later this week.

I'm a badass :cool:

:lol:

Watchthemiddle
03-21-2009, 09:09 PM

It isnt mandatory...its not the end of the world if Cutler and/or Scheffler dont attend.

Cutler = QB
QB = Leader
Team meetings = attend
Meet the new coach with your team = attend
Voluntary SCHMOLUNTARY= if your labeled as the QB, you are labeled as the leader ( even though Jay can't even lead himself ) you are expected to attend.

We all know Jay has never been and will NEVER be a leader in this league. That said, this really doesn't surprise me at all.

Also, what was that that Jay said in the papers the day after this whole drama started..."I play for my teammates".....:rofl: .....Great teammate you are Jay.

Thanks for playing...next

bud
03-21-2009, 11:01 PM
This thread isn't about Cutler.

Its about a tight end that doesn't fit in anymore.

The Broncos are going to deal him before the end of the draft.

Big deal. He's no Tony Gonzales.

DenBronx
03-21-2009, 11:10 PM
i agree....keep this thread about sheffler. you want to talk cutler go dable in one of the thousands of other threads created about it. cutler bashers really are pathetic.

silkamilkamonico
03-21-2009, 11:15 PM
This thread isn't about Cutler.

Its about a tight end that doesn't fit in anymore.

The Broncos are going to deal him before the end of the draft.

Big deal. He's no Tony Gonzales.

I do agree, and he was good in Shanahan's system.

Can we get a second rounder for him?

Lonestar
03-22-2009, 01:53 AM

if it has not been answered already he was at NFLPA meetings as Representative.. an excused absence but IIRC came to the meeting ASAP afterward..

Watchthemiddle
03-22-2009, 01:56 AM
I do agree, and he was good in Shanahan's system.

Can we get a second rounder for him?

All Sheffler had was Nate Jackson written all over him except with a little bit more talent. Start the season with a lot of promise then get Hurt...play...hurt

Shazam!
03-22-2009, 02:03 AM
I just threw a piece of Bubble Yum at Tony Scheffler. He's out the first 6 weeks.