PDA

View Full Version : Dawkins wants to return, but only for Broncos

iLands
02-27-2012, 07:32 PM
http://broncotalk.net/2012/02/30468/broncos-buzz/brian-dawkins-feels-good-wants-to-return/

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Brian Dawkins is not yet ready to call it a career.

Despite missing all or parts of five games last season with a neck injury, Dawkins says he feels good now and hopes to return for another season with the Denver Broncos.

“My health is good,” Dawkins said Saturday during an appearance in Pottstown, Pa. “The problem I had was a pinched nerve. It needed time (to heal) and during the season, you don’t have time. But I’ve had a chance to rest up and get my strength back. I feel good.”

rest - http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/eagles-talk/post/Dawkins-wants-to-return-but-only-for-Bro?blockID=658344&feedID=692

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏ @VicLombardi

Yeah, we reported two weeks ago that Brian Dawkins still wants to play. His injury was not career-threatening.

http://twitter.com/#!/viclombardi

iLands
02-27-2012, 08:01 PM
http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355713

=[

Magnificent Seven
02-27-2012, 08:33 PM
I would welcome him back.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
02-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Would love to see Dawk back for one more year. Was disappointing that injury kept him out of the post-season.

nevcraw
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
The defense seemed to really take dive when he was not on the field.

Ziggy
02-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Bring him back as a player/coach.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Dupe threads merged.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2012, 10:59 PM
good news...allows our rooks a bit more time to learn/adjust if he can stay on the field.

DenBronx
02-28-2012, 02:26 AM
I love Dawk but I'm worried he will easily get hurt again at his age with a history of neck problems. Seems like he wants to play and now we must wait and see what the front office will do.

Either way, I think the Broncos need to bring in another safety via draft or free agent.

Npba900
02-28-2012, 08:24 PM
I love Dawk but I'm worried he will easily get hurt again at his age with a history of neck problems. Seems like he wants to play and now we must wait and see what the front office will do.

Either way, I think the Broncos need to bring in another safety via draft or free agent.

Someone needs to save Dawkin's from himself! His health could be at risk long term already. In 5 to 10 years and beyond he may not be to walk. He should be made to retire IMHO.

Chef Zambini
02-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Someone needs to save Dawkin's from himself! His health could be at risk long term already. In 5 to 10 years and beyond he may not be to walk. He should be made to retire IMHO.is that your medical opinion based on an MRI and x-rays/
Dawk said he suffered a pinched nerve.
I agree 100% that many players need to be saved from themselves, but this might not be the case with daWKINS!
we all recall a certain denver linebacker who needed to be told to step away from the game, perhaps this is influencing your opinion.

BroncoStud
02-29-2012, 10:43 AM
There is no downside to bringing him back. If he gets hurt he gets hurt, but when healthy he is still the best safety on the roster - by a lot.

Npba900
02-29-2012, 10:16 PM
is that your medical opinion based on an MRI and x-rays/
Dawk said he suffered a pinched nerve.
I agree 100% that many players need to be saved from themselves, but this might not be the case with daWKINS!
we all recall a certain denver linebacker who needed to be told to step away from the game, perhaps this is influencing your opinion.

I'm basing my opinion on players who played before Dawkins who did not listen to their bodies and simply played to long.

Sure the medical doctors conducting MRI's can clear Dawkins play, but deep down Dawkin's knows his body can't continue with the wear n tear while ignoring the long term ramifications.

Once Dawkins gets into his middle 40's, 50's and beyond, that's when all the damage and wear n tear will begin to come to the surface.

Dawkin's is an amazing athlete and his body has been kind enough to him to allow him to play one of the most violent sports on earth for a very long time and at the highest level.

His body has been breaking down over the last couple of years and those are the Tell-Tell signs its time to move on. Dawkins has at least another 45 years of quality living left, why risk his health at this stage.

Dawkin's warrior pride in the end may make him disabled before his time and racked in pain as well.

Davii
02-29-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm basing my opinion on players who played before Dawkins who did not listen to their bodies and simply played to long.

Sure the medical doctors conducting MRI's can clear Dawkins play, but deep down Dawkin's knows his body can't continue with the wear n tear while ignoring the long term ramifications.

Once Dawkins gets into his middle 40's, 50's and beyond, that's when all the damage and wear n tear will begin to come to the surface.

Dawkin's is an amazing athlete and his body has been kind enough to him to allow him to play one of the most violent sports on earth for a very long time and at the highest level.

His body has been breaking down over the last couple of years and those are the Tell-Tell signs its time to move on. Dawkins has at least another 45 years of quality living left, why risk his health at this stage.

Dawkin's warrior pride in the end may make him disabled before his time and racked in pain as well.

Huh... Never knew you and Dawk chatted over beer... I mean, how else can you speak for him?

Worry about yourself, Dawk is a man and is able to make the decision on his own, with the help of his family of course.

NightTerror218
03-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Bring him back at a much lower salary and he will be great depth rotational player and we need his leadership as our very young team grows. I think if he could be rotational player and let a young player start it would be great.

Npba900
03-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Huh... Never knew you and Dawk chatted over beer... I mean, how else can you speak for him?

Worry about yourself, Dawk is a man and is able to make the decision on his own, with the help of his family of course.

Psssst! Hey Davi, go sit in the corner and color with your blue crayon! I'm only providing my opinion based on Dawkins injury history and his age of 38-39. His body is trying to tell him something. Its something no doctors nor family members can convey or tell Dawkins.

At 38-39 years old, Dawkins is like a boxer who has fought too many fights. Fans like you want Dawkins to play until he's carried out on his shield! That's cool but I hope Dawkins isn't as foolish and selfish as some fans.

Davii
03-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Psssst! Hey Davi, go sit in the corner and color with your blue crayon! I'm only providing my opinion based on Dawkins injury history and his age of 38-39. His body is trying to tell him something. Its something no doctors nor family members can convey or tell Dawkins.

At 38-39 years old, Dawkins is like a boxer who has fought too many fights. Fans like you want Dawkins to play until he's carried out on his shield! That's cool but I hope Dawkins isn't as foolish and selfish as some fans.

Again with the attacks, I appreciate the fact that you can't talk to anyone without attempting to thinly veil attempts at denigrating their level of intelligence... Says a lot about you...

Anyhow, why must anyone make the decision for Dawkins? "Fans like me" want the man to leave on his own terms, OR play until he's ready to quit. Not quit because some out of shape chair jockey who's neither a doctor, professional athlete, physical therapist, kinseologist, etc thinks they know better than the man himself. If he wants to play, is able to play, and is medically cleared to play then have at it...

He is fully capable of making his own decisions, especially on when to walk away.

Thanks for speaking for me though and classifying me as one of "those fans", much appreciated. Then again, I need you to speak for me like Dawkins needs you to decide when he should retire...

Npba900
03-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Again with the attacks, I appreciate the fact that you can't talk to anyone without attempting to thinly veil attempts at denigrating their level of intelligence... Says a lot about you...

Anyhow, why must anyone make the decision for Dawkins? "Fans like me" want the man to leave on his own terms, OR play until he's ready to quit. Not quit because some out of shape chair jockey who's neither a doctor, professional athlete, physical therapist, kinseologist, etc thinks they know better than the man himself. If he wants to play, is able to play, and is medically cleared to play then have at it...

He is fully capable of making his own decisions, especially on when to walk away.

Thanks for speaking for me though and classifying me as one of "those fans", much appreciated. Then again, I need you to speak for me like Dawkins needs you to decide when he should retire...

Huh! What are you talking about Davi.....I'm only responding back in the same manner you have already done earlier at #16.

But any way.....fans like me know when a 38-39 year old player who is often injured simple needs to hang up the cleats. Dawkins has spent 3 mediocre seasons with the Denver Broncos, and although he can still level a big hit now and then, he is well past his prime.

Here's all that needs to be known on whether Dawkins should retire: 39 years old by Oct 2012, a history of Neck Injuries/pinched nerve, battered arthritic knees all since 1995!

Its my understanding that Dawkins looks forward to spending more time with his children--being home when they come home from school, etc.

The doctors may have cleared Dawkins to play after this recent bout with injures, but perhaps they have cleared Dawkins to play the game of life outside the violent injury prone environment of the NFL.

Dawkins has perhaps at least 50 plus years of quality life left. He needs to ensure they are quality years not hobbled-disabled due to old football injuries to his joints, cartilage, and nerves----not to mention his neck and nerves surrounding his neck, numerous concussions of which haven't/could comeback to haunt him, and no doubt the endless pain pills he will need to consume!!!

Dawkins and his family are settled in the Denver area, why not offer him a FO or coaching job in some capacity. This is how you save a Warrior from himself.

Dawkins will likely be enshrined in Canton, but he needs to retire so fans remember him for the dominant player he was in his prime, not the fading image they see now.

Npba900
03-01-2012, 06:12 PM

Again with the attacks, I appreciate the fact that you can't talk to anyone without attempting to thinly veil attempts at denigrating their level of intelligence... Says a lot about you...:listen:

Davii
03-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Huh! What are talking about Davi.....I'm only responding back in the same manner you have already done earlier at #16.

But any way.....fans like me know when a 38-39 year old player who is often injured simple needs to hang up the cleats. Dawkins has spent 3 mediocre seasons with the Denver Broncos, and although he can still level a big hit now and then, he is well past his prime.

Here's all that needs to be known on whether Dawkins should retire: 39 years old by Oct 2012, a history of Neck Injuries/pinched nerve, battered arthritic knees all since 1995!

Its my understanding that Dawkins looks forward to spending more time with his children--being home when they come home from school, etc.

The doctors may have cleared Dawkins to play after this recent bout with injures, but perhaps they have cleared Dawkins to play the game of life outside the violent injury prone environment of the NFL.

Dawkins has perhaps at least 50 plus years of quality life left. He needs to ensure they are quality years not hobbled-disabled due to old football injuries to his joints, cartilage, and nerves----not to mention his neck and nerves surrounding his neck, numerous concussions of which haven't/could comeback to haunt him, and no doubt the endless pain pills he will need to consume!!!

Dawkins and his family are settled in the Denver area, why not offer him a FO or coaching job in some capacity. This is how you save a Warrior from himself.

Dawkins will likely be enshrined in Canton, but he needs to retire so fans remember him for the dominant player he was in his prime, not the fading image they see now.

I was somehow insulting you by saying you don't speak for Dawk?

Apparently I must respond on your level so you understand, I'll try.

I think he's fully capable of making his own decisions. I know you wouldn't understand, but men generally prefer the freedom to do so.

NightTerror218
03-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Huh! What are talking about Davi.....I'm only responding back in the same manner you have already done earlier at #16.

I would take 3 medicore years from Dawkins who can make the pro bowl in 2 of the 3 then a young player who is not ready or not able. He know he is older and willing to play for less. But he also knows that so many of the teammates look up to him and I believe it is that relationship that is pushing him to want to come back. You do a lot for your team even if is helping more with your presence and backup ability. I want him back in a diminished role and would love a youngster to step up.

Npba900
03-01-2012, 06:19 PM
I would take 3 medicore years from Dawkins who can make the pro bowl in 2 of the 3 then a young player who is not ready or not able. He know he is older and willing to play for less. But he also knows that so many of the teammates look up to him and I believe it is that relationship that is pushing him to want to come back. You do a lot for your team even if is helping more with your presence and backup ability. I want him back in a diminished role and would love a youngster to step up.

I'd love to have him back as a coach but not as a player.

Npba900
03-01-2012, 06:22 PM
I was somehow insulting you by saying you don't speak for Dawk?

Apparently I must respond on your level so you understand, I'll try.

I think he's fully capable of making his own decisions. I know you wouldn't understand, but men generally prefer the freedom to do so.

Sorry Davi.......I don't need you nor anyone else to tell me to "WORRY ABOUT MYSELF! That comment wasn't necessary....but hey, you are who you are.;)

NightTerror218
03-01-2012, 06:22 PM
I'd love to have him back as a coach but not as a player.

Why not as a backup? What is wrong with limited play?

Npba900
03-01-2012, 06:23 PM

I'd like to see him back in a player-coach position in 2012.

Rex
03-01-2012, 06:24 PM
I'd like to see him back in a player-coach position in 2012.

What is this? 1972?

Npba900
03-01-2012, 06:25 PM

Agreed. I'd like to see him back in a player-coach situation in 2012 to help him make a smooth transition into coaching. He's such a student of the game, perhaps there's a Def. Coordinator in the future and one day a HC.

Npba900
03-01-2012, 06:26 PM
What is this? 1972?

Don't know. What are you talking about?

turftoad
03-01-2012, 06:35 PM

Why not an up and comming young player to fill the same roster spot? Someone that may have a longer future with the team.

NightTerror218
03-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Why not an up and comming young player to fill the same roster spot? Someone that may have a longer future with the team.

Dawkins is proven to be a solid PRO BOWL caliber player when he stays healthy. Why throw that away. He is more valuable to the team then some of the other safeties that we have that are not panning out. We could sign a young up and coming but could he play well enough to replace Dawkins? I doubt it.

turftoad
03-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Dawkins is proven to be a solid PRO BOWL caliber player when he stays healthy. Why throw that away. He is more valuable to the team then some of the other safeties that we have that are not panning out. We could sign a young up and coming but could he play well enough to replace Dawkins? I doubt it.

Why throw that away? Cuz he's like 90yrs old. I'd rather have a young guy with some potential to claim the roster spot, someone that may be here for more than one more year.

NightTerror218
03-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Why throw that away? Cuz he's like 90yrs old. I'd rather have a young guy with some potential to claim the roster spot, someone that may be here for more than one more year.

why not have them learn from him for another year. I think that would be better for our young team is to have someone like him to learn from. I doubt he will coach no matter how much some will want it.

turftoad
03-01-2012, 07:45 PM
why not have them learn from him for another year. I think that would be better for our young team is to have someone like him to learn from. I doubt he will coach no matter how much some will want it.

Because he takes up a roster spot. Teams only carry so many safteys. While I agree he would be a good mentor, he still takes a spot away from someone who may just need some practice reps and some playing time to be able to contribute and possibly become good.

NightTerror218
03-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Because he takes up a roster spot. Teams only carry so many safteys. While I agree he would be a good mentor, he still takes a spot away from someone who may just need some practice reps and some playing time to be able to contribute and possibly become good.

He is still playing at pro bowl caliber at his age, I am fine with keeping him as backup. No problems with there as long as he keeps on producing and helping the young team.

turftoad
03-01-2012, 07:54 PM
He is still playing at pro bowl caliber at his age, I am fine with keeping him as backup. No problems with there as long as he keeps on producing and helping the young team.

No. He is not playing Pro Bowl caliber ball anymore.

NightTerror218
03-01-2012, 08:02 PM
No. He is not playing Pro Bowl caliber ball anymore.

Oh really, I was pretty sure I saw him in Hawaii this year. :confused:

turftoad
03-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Oh really, I was pretty sure I saw him in Hawaii this year. :confused:

Seriously??? Thats nothing but a popularity contest. Period. He was only there because of injuries to others anyway.

NightTerror218
03-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Seriously??? Thats nothing but a popularity contest. Period. He was only there because of injuries to others anyway.

2/3rds of the votes are from players and coaches, if it was all about popular votes then Tebow would have been a starter. Our defense was stellar with him on the field and mediocre with him on the sidelines. He makes a huge impact in our defense.

turftoad
03-01-2012, 08:41 PM
2/3rds of the votes are from players and coaches, if it was all about popular votes then Tebow would have been a starter. Our defense was stellar with him on the field and mediocre with him on the sidelines. He makes a huge impact in our defense.

I'm pretty sure he's popular with the players and the coach's after all, he's been in the league for like 90 years.

NightTerror218
03-01-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm pretty sure he's popular with the players and the coach's after all, he's been in the league for like 90 years.

and still better then every other safety on the team.

Davii
03-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Sorry Davi.......I don't need you nor anyone else to tell me to "WORRY ABOUT MYSELF! That comment wasn't necessary....but hey, you are who you are.;)

If you consider someone saying "worry about yourself" an attack you need to stop doing the interwebs. Wow. So, you're saying that it aggravates you to be told to worry about yourself yet it's perfectly ok for you to decide that a professional athlete should stop practicing his craft, even if he doesn't want to quit.

Double standard much?

Npba900
03-02-2012, 09:31 PM
If you consider someone saying "worry about yourself" an attack you need to stop doing the interwebs. Wow. So, you're saying that it aggravates you to be told to worry about yourself yet it's perfectly ok for you to decide that a professional athlete should stop practicing his craft, even if he doesn't want to quit.

Double standard much?

Ha-ha-ha!:laugh: Come on Man!:tsk: I'm not going to argue with you on personal insults---you will argue until the "Cows Come Home! ENOUGH!

However Know This.....Nothing Last Forever. Here's something you will understand. Lets just say Dawkins has reached his "High Year Tenure"!!!!

Its time for Sgt-Major Dawkins to retire!!!! The NFL is for Young.....not the Old and often injured. No sense risking Dawkins health by re-injuring the nerves in his neck-spine or see him lying out on the field because his brain couldn't take another concussion!

Let's hope Elway saves Dawkins from himself by not bringing him back as a full time nor part time player.

Davii
03-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Ha-ha-ha!:laugh: Come on Man!:tsk: I'm not going to argue with you on personal insults---you will argue until the "Cows Come Home! ENOUGH!

However Know This.....Nothing Last Forever. Here's something you will understand. Lets just say Dawkins has reached his "High Year Tenure"!!!!

Its time for Sgt-Major Dawkins to retire!!!! The NFL is for Young.....not the Old and often injured. No sense risking Dawkins health by re-injuring the nerves in his neck-spine or see him lying out on the field because his brain couldn't take another concussion!

Let's hope Elway saves Dawkins from himself by not bringing him back as a full time nor part time player.

Not your decision to make. It's Dawkins' and the Bronco's decision. He will walk away when he sees fit, and the team will cut him when he is no longer getting the job done.

Dortoh
03-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Love the man, own his jersey but hes done. What a great player hats off and enjoy your golf game sir.

Npba900
03-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Not your decision to make. It's Dawkins' and the Bronco's decision. He will walk away when he sees fit, and the team will cut him when he is no longer getting the job done.

I'm not making any decision(s) and neither are YOU! I've only made my opinion!!!

By the way, that's all you have provided as well.....Your Opinion!!!!:listen: