PDA

View Full Version : The Goat Speaks on Mcjaygate!

red98
03-20-2009, 03:04 AM
PUEBLO - Former Denver Broncos quarterback and Super Bowl MVP John Elway expressed disappointment for both Jay Cutler and the Denver Broncos on Thursday.

Speaking at a fundraising event in Pueblo, Elway said, "I'm disappointed for both sides, I look at the Denver Broncos organization as the best in the NFL, as well as Jay Cutler as (one of) the top five quarterbacks in the league."

He went on to say, "I just hope with everything that's gone on, obviously, there's been feelings hurt along the way, that they can get over that and realize that it's all about winning football games."

Elway was also optimistic that things will work out in the long run.

"I'm sure that they'll keep working on it and we're going through a phase right now, obviously Jay's feelings have been hurt, and I understand that because if you like the place you are playing you don't want to hear your name in trade talks," Elway said. "It's tough, I'm hopeful, I think Pat Bowlen's still the best owner in the NFL and if I'm Jay Cutler, the place I wanna play is a place where the No. 1 thing that counts is winning Super Bowls and that's what Pat Bowlen cares about."

Cutler and Broncos management have been feuding ever since the quarterback's name surfaced in trade talks for Matt Cassel

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=112210&catid=339

anton...
03-20-2009, 03:15 AM
elway thinks what anton has thought all along...

this drama crap is bad from both sides, but in the end, jay will stay and he will be great...

WARHORSE
03-20-2009, 04:13 AM
Glad to see the Duke has put in his word.

Top five quarterback in Johns view.

Magine dat.

DenBronx
03-20-2009, 04:20 AM
is amazing how elway can see it and yet a few numbskull bronco fans cant.

dogfish
03-20-2009, 06:59 AM
what does elway know about good quarterbacks?

:coffee:

cutler's just a whiny crybaby that throws too many interceptions. . . . we'd be better off with brady queen, the poor man's joey harrington. . . .

JKcatch724
03-20-2009, 07:01 AM
what does elway know about good quarterbacks?

:coffee:

cutler's just a whiny crybaby that throws too many interceptions. . . . we'd be better off with brady queen, the poor man's joey harrington. . . .

If we somehow end up with Brady i swear to God... I'm not even gonna finish that sentence.

skycoyote
03-20-2009, 07:16 AM
PUEBLO - Former Denver Broncos quarterback and Super Bowl MVP John Elway expressed disappointment for both Jay Cutler and the Denver Broncos on Thursday.
Speaking at a fundraising event in Pueblo, Elway said, "I'm disappointed for both sides, I look at the Denver Broncos organization as the best in the NFL, as well as Jay Cutler as (one of) the top five quarterbacks in the league."

He went on to say, "I just hope with everything that's gone on, obviously, there's been feelings hurt along the way, that they can get over that and realize that it's all about winning football games."

Elway was also optimistic that things will work out in the long run.

"I'm sure that they'll keep working on it and we're going through a phase right now, obviously Jay's feelings have been hurt, and I understand that because if you like the place you are playing you don't want to hear your name in trade talks," Elway said. "It's tough, I'm hopeful, I think Pat Bowlen's still the best owner in the NFL and if I'm Jay Cutler, the place I wanna play is a place where the No. 1 thing that counts is winning Super Bowls and that's what Pat Bowlen cares about."

Cutler and Broncos management have been feuding ever since the quarterback's name surfaced in trade talks for Matt Cassel

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=112210&catid=339

Notice Elway said he thinks Cutler is top 5 in the league. Ok, now you have and expert's opinion.

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Devil's advocate

Seems as though Elway thinks Cutler could be top 5...and no one disagrees with that. he just hasnt done anything YET to warrant that title.

But, at the end of the day, none of what Elway says really matters because Jay has a stronger arm. LOL

claymore
03-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Devil's advocate

Seems as though Elway thinks Cutler could be top 5...and no one disagrees with that. he just hasnt done anything YET to warrant that title.

But, at the end of the day, none of what Elway says really matters because Jay has a stronger arm. LOL

Only a radar gun can prove Cutler wrong. :D

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Only a radar gun can prove Cutler wrong. :D

Even if it is the strongest arm ever...it dont mean shit if the receivers drop it and the DB's catch it.

nevertheless, I was just trying to be an ass with that post

claymore
03-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Even if it is the strongest arm ever...it dont mean shit if the receivers drop it and the DB's catch it.

Im just giving you shit. I do think the arm strength argument is hilarious though.

BigDaddyBronco
03-20-2009, 08:26 AM
I think Cutler is a top 5 QB, but he still has to want to be in Denver for it to matter.

BroncoJoe
03-20-2009, 08:29 AM

Don't sell yourself short, Coach. You don't have to try...

:D

Northman
03-20-2009, 08:35 AM
I think Cutler is a top 5 QB, but he still has to want to be in Denver for it to matter.

And that is all that matters here. John is essentially saying that Jay needs to get over it and get it worked out.

Den21vsBal19
03-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Devil's advocate

I've got admit, part of me wonders if Elway's trying to impart another lesson on Jay...................diplomacy ;)

Northman
03-20-2009, 08:37 AM
I've got admit, part of me wonders if Elway's trying to impart another lesson on Jay...................diplomacy ;)

Is Jay smart enough to understand it? :lol:

Medford Bronco
03-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Devil's advocate

Whats Elway going to say Cutler is the 15th ranked QB. (sarcasm
so dont think I think Jay is 15th) (I feel he is somewhere between 7-10 but needs to improve with his decision making before he is top 5. Intangibles
are more imporant as well. Stats lie. Just look at Cutler having a better QB rating than Elway by quite a bit. Sorry he is not even close to him, even at this stage of his career) Elway elevated his teams even before getting to the Super Bowl. He was hamstrung by Dan Reeves as well. If Cutler was under Reeves, you think he is angry now. just think of how he would feel
with run-run and on 3rd and 7 or 8, make a play when everyone knows that you are going to pass and there is no Brandon Marshall or Eddie Royal as your WRs. Vance Johnson and Mark Jackson are not even close to as talented as them.

Remember these opinions are all subjective.
How does one say Tom Brady is better than Peyton Manning or Vice-versa?

Manning better stats. Brady more wins and more clutch

Its called being a politician.
Neither McDaniels and Cutler knows how to do that.
They both F'ed this up big time.

Is there time to save face. Who knows.

Medford Bronco
03-20-2009, 08:40 AM

see post above Northman. Good thoughs :salute::beer:

Northman
03-20-2009, 08:42 AM
(I feel he is somewhere between 7-10 but needs to improve with his decision making before he is top 5.

Absolutely.

Top 10, yes. Top 5? No way. Not yet.

Medford Bronco
03-20-2009, 08:44 AM

Two names.

Jeff George
and Bill Joe Tolliver

their arms were cannons and were FAR from great Qbs

claymore
03-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Absolutely.

Top 10, yes. Top 5? No way. Not yet.

I cant name 5 QB's I would rather have. I can only name 3. But 2 of those 3 are system guys IMO. I feel Jay can excell in almost any offense.

Den21vsBal19
03-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Damned good question....................

claymore
03-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Damned good question....................

You stay out of this hippie.

Medford Bronco
03-20-2009, 08:49 AM
I cant name 5 QB's I would rather have. I can only name 3. But 2 of those 3 are system guys IMO. I feel Jay can excell in almost any offense.

You mean exel in an offence that does not force the ball into coverage like Jay has done his whole career.

Sorry not to be an ass, but I disagree. I think he has the talent to get there, but is not there as of yet.

Brady and Manning would be great Qbs no matter where they would be
I feel the same with Kurt Warner who led 2 teams to Super Bowls

now it gets dicey after that.

Right now. I think Eli Manning is better, ephasizing right now.
Rivers is better. you can hate him but he has done quite well in this league
and knows how to win.

I also would take Donovan McNabb right now, ephasis on right now.

and I know I am going to get grief for this but I would take Carson Palmer right now, if healthy. He has had one bad year and one injury riddled year.

these are just all opinons and not fact. I know anyone can blow holes in my argument..

I respect yours Clay:beer: as well

BigDaddyBronco
03-20-2009, 08:50 AM
I would take Matt Ryan over Cutler.

Medford Bronco
03-20-2009, 08:54 AM
I would take Matt Ryan over Cutler.

I forgot him. He has not been around long enough for that much info
but he has done well and was on a team that the year before was pathetic
and he helped with the running game (hello Michael Turner, he would have looked nice in blue and orange) to get to the playoffs in a very tough division

BigDaddyBronco
03-20-2009, 08:56 AM
and he helped with the running game (hello Michael Turner, he would have looked nice in blue and orange) to get to the playoffs in a very tough division
And he is not a "look at me" type of guy. Getting tired of that.

Den21vsBal19
03-20-2009, 08:57 AM
You stay out of this hippie.
Hippie?!?!?!?!? :confused:

claymore
03-20-2009, 09:05 AM
You mean exel in an offence that does not force the ball into coverage like Jay has done his whole career.

Sorry not to be an ass, but I disagree. I think he has the talent to get there, but is not there as of yet.

Brady and Manning would be great Qbs no matter where they would be
I feel the same with Kurt Warner who led 2 teams to Super Bowls

now it gets dicey after that.

Right now. I think Eli Manning is better, ephasizing right now.
Rivers is better. you can hate him but he has done quite well in this league
and knows how to win.

I also would take Donovan McNabb right now, ephasis on right now.

and I know I am going to get grief for this but I would take Carson Palmer right now, if healthy. He has had one bad year and one injury riddled year.

these are just all opinons and not fact. I know anyone can blow holes in my argument..

I respect yours Clay:beer: as well

Hell yeah.... My line of thinking is his age and hopes he can become a better decision maker. I think A good RB, and some sort of defense will work wonders for the young man.

I think he had zero faith in the defense, and felt he had to score on every drive. JMO.

Northman
03-20-2009, 09:10 AM

Your personal preference and thats fine. You've been solely in Jay's corner throughout this whole ordeal so im not looking to get into a pissing match with over it. But, i still wouldnt put him in my top 5 right now. I still like him and want him here but he still has a lot to work on before he convinces me that he is a top 5 QB. ;)

claymore
03-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Your personal preference and thats fine. You've been solely in Jay's corner throughout this whole ordeal so im not looking to get into a pissing match with over it. But, i still wouldnt put him in my top 5 right now. I still like him and want him here but he still has a lot to work on before he convinces me that he is a top 5 QB. ;)

I can respect that. And I have been a homer of his. But Im fully vested in his jersey.

Medford Bronco
03-20-2009, 09:18 AM
I can respect that. And I have been a homer of his. But Im fully vested in his jersey.

Clay I just want what is best for the Broncos.

If Mickey Mouse was the QB and we went 17-2 and won the Super Bowl I am all for it. That is all that matters. I crave for us to be the team from 96-98 again, espcially living here in NE where the Pats are better, which even though I respect them a lot, it bugs me :lol:

claymore
03-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Clay I just want what is best for the Broncos.

If Mickey Mouse was the QB and we went 17-2 and won the Super Bowl I am all for it. That is all that matters. I crave for us to be the team from 96-98 again, espcially living here in NE where the Pats are better, which even though I respect them a lot, it bugs me :lol:

Hell yeah, I do want some loyalty in our Franchise though.

Medford Bronco
03-20-2009, 09:21 AM

I agree, McD and Cutler have to both work this out. If one side does not want resolution it wont happen. If both want it, it can be done.

Hopefully we can laugh about this in September as all water under the bridge. We shall see.

Northman
03-20-2009, 09:22 AM
I agree, McD and Cutler have to both work this out. If one side does not want resolution it wont happen. If both want it, it can be done.

Hopefully we can laugh about this in September as all water under the bridge. We shall see.

God i hope so. Its hard to get excited about this season with all this crap hanging over our heads.

Medford Bronco
03-20-2009, 09:22 AM
God i hope so. Its hard to get excited about this season with all this crap hanging over our heads.

I think by the draft it will be resolved one way or the other.

claymore
03-20-2009, 09:23 AM

I think they can work it out. We need to get Cook out of the scenario. The only man who can steer Cutler away from cook is his dad IMO. Hopefully he isnt blinded, and he tells his son the right thing to do is call dove valley like a man, and give it another go.

Medford Bronco
03-20-2009, 09:23 AM
I think they can work it out. We need to get Cook out of the scenario. The only man who can steer Cutler away from cook is his dad IMO. Hopefully he isnt blinded, and he tells his son the right thing to do is call dove valley like a man, and give it another go.

I would love to see him fire cook and I think that all would be well IMO

Requiem / The Dagda
03-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Cook isn't getting out of the scenario, he is pretty much runnin' shit right now. We gotta deal with it.

Den21vsBal19
03-20-2009, 09:49 AM
I agree, but with a new coach, his loyalties are going to be slightly different..................I can completely understand him entertaining the thought of bringing in the QB he worked with last season, especially with additional draft picks as well................

Or to put it another, if Shanny (or Bates for that matter) was in a NFL job now, don't you think that Jay's eyes might've been widened at the thought of a reunion?

Shazam!
03-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Jay would've demanded a trade if Shanahan went elsewhere.

I got a Cutler authentic last year. I demand he stays so I don't have to part with it and donate it to a homeless shelter as I did with Plummer's.

tubby
03-20-2009, 10:14 AM

You also think bacon is a food group. Cheetos breath.

BigDaddyBronco
03-20-2009, 10:22 AM
You also think bacon is a food group. Cheetos breath.

Wait, what, it isn't. :tsk:

How can the world live without bacon?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-20-2009, 10:44 AM
I heard John's interview live on 9News, and one thing he said - which is not in the printed article, is that possibly Jay received some bad advice. Also, I would almost bet that Bowlen and John have discussed what has been happening between Jay and McD.

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Jay would've demanded a trade if Shanahan went elsewhere.

I got a Cutler authentic last year. I demand he stays so I don't have to part with it and donate it to a homeless shelter as I did with Plummer's.

Dude, I have Cutler and Marshall authentics and just got both for my son for Christmas. I'll be pissed if I wasted the money. Should have just got the damn Eddie Royal for him

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 10:49 AM
I heard John's interview live on 9News, and one thing he said - which is not in the printed article, is that possibly Jay received some bad advice. Also, I would almost bet that Bowlen and John have discussed what has been happening between Jay and McD.

I think this is usually the case with young athletes. Notice this stuff doesnt happen to veterans all that often.

Superchop 7
03-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Jay needs to find a coach that wants him.

Get a contract that pays him what he is worth.

The Broncos created this mess and deserve everything that comes with the territory.

fcspikeit
03-20-2009, 12:15 PM

Ryan was something like 1 - 6 when Turner didn't run for over 100 yards and he had to throw more then 25 times a game.. :coffee:

The Broncos had 2 games last year where we had a runner go over 100 yards. While Cutler was throwing more then 25 passes every game. Hell I bet he threw as many 25 in a single half games as Ryan did total games last year..

There is no comparison between Ryan and Cutler. If Ryan was the Broncos QB last year, we would have been lucky to win 4 games...

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Ryan was something like 1 - 6 when Turner didn't run for over 100 yards and he had to throw more then 25 times a game.. :coffee:

The Broncos had 2 games last year where we had a runner go over 100 yards. While Cutler was throwing more then 25 passes every game. Hell I bet he threw as many 25 in a single half games as Ryan did total games last year..

There is no comparison between Ryan and Cutler. If Ryan was the Broncos QB last year, we would have been lucky to win 4 games...

How many games did we have over 100 yards rushing? Why does it matter if one guy got it or 3 guys got it?

dogfish
03-20-2009, 01:29 PM

ryan also threw 434 passes last year-- jay had to throw over 600. . . . ryan threw 16 TDs (11 INTs) and 3,440 yards, compared to 25 TDs (18 INTs) and 4,500 yards for jay. . . . atlanta totalled 2,400 rushing yards and 23 TDs-- denver had 1,862 rushing yards and 15 TDs. . . . atlanta's defense gave up 325 points for the year-- ours gave up 448 points. . . .

i think it's safe to say that ryan's rookie year might have gone a little differently iif he'd been in denver. . . .

BigDaddyBronco
03-20-2009, 01:32 PM
ryan also threw 434 passes last year-- jay had to throw over 600. . . . ryan threw 16 TDs (11 INTs) and 3,440 yards, compared to 25 TDs (18 INTs) and 4,500 yards for jay. . . . atlanta totalled 2,400 rushing yards and 23 TDs-- denver had 1,862 rushing yards and 15 TDs. . . . atlanta's defense gave up 325 points for the year-- ours gave up 448 points. . . .

i think it's safe to say that ryan's rookie year might have gone a little differently iif he'd been in denver. . . .

And Ryan didn't bytch or whine about anything during his rookie year. Didn't call out his receivers mistakes visibly on the field, or call out his defense, etc.

He just quietly led the Falcons who were a disaster the year before to the playoffs.

Stats don't always tell the whole story.

fcspikeit
03-20-2009, 02:01 PM
How many games did we have over 100 yards rushing? Why does it matter if one guy got it or 3 guys got it?

I never said in those games where Ryan went 1-6 the Falcons didn't have 100 rushing yards total. Just that Turner didn't have over 100.. So the the comparison still stands..

Denver Native (Carol)
03-20-2009, 07:37 PM
http://www.chieftain.com/articles/2009/03/20/sports/local/doc49c326efe4d8d083498551.txt

There's very little John Elway hasn't accomplished in football and in business.

The former Hall of Fame Denver Broncos quarterback, however, did achieve a first Thursday night.

Elway made his inaugural public appearance in Pueblo as the guest speaker at the Cooperative Care Center's 27th anniversary "Sack Hunger," gala before a capacity crowd of 900 people at the Pueblo Convention Center.

"This is a great cause obviously, and I was glad to come down here and help out a little bit," Elway said in an interview with The Pueblo Chieftain . Although Elway retired from the Broncos following the 1998 season, he's well aware of the soap opera going on between current Denver quarterback Jay Cutler and new head coach Josh McDaniels.

"I think it's sad and unfortunate," Elway said. "Obviously, there was a lack of communication somewhere to where it blew this thing up to where it has got to now. I'm sad for both sides. I'm sad for the Broncos because I think that Jay is a great player and he obviously has a lot of potential and this is a great place for a player like him to play. Hopefully, they can get the rift fixed because I don't think that there's any rift that's too solid. "For Jay, there's not a better place to play football and to have a better opportunity to win Super Bowls because you have an owner (Pat Bowlen) who wants to win Super Bowls. As a quarterback, that's all you can ask for. I understand Jay's feelings got hurt, but it's too bad it has got to where it is. I wish Jay would have got some better advice from whoever he was getting advice from."

Elway had his own rift with former Broncos' coach Dan Reeves, which resulted in Reeves being fired after the 1992 season.

Elway didn't let his saga with Reeves derail his career. He played 16 seasons - from 1983-1998 - highlighted by him winning Super Bowls XXXII and XXXIII to cap his career.

Elway actually will be back in Pueblo May 16 when he serves as the parade marshall at the Professional Bullriders Riders' Wild Wild West Fest. Elway is an investor in the PBR, which is headquartered in Pueblo. The Wild Wild West Fest is May 13-17 at HARP and the Colorado State Fairgrounds.

"I'm excited with what I have going on with the PBR," Elway said. "I had a chance to look at the PBR and I'm an investor with the PBR and I have so much respect for cowboys. I also like to get out in Colorado because Colorado has been so great to me. Plus, it's really nice to get back down here to Pueblo because I used to come down here quite a few times to come fishing at the (Pueblo) Reservoir early in my career."

Elway was named Most Valuable Player of Super Bowl XXXIII after leading the Broncos to a 34-19 victory over Atlanta in Miami.

When the legendary No. 7 retired, he passed for 51, 475 yards and 300 touchdowns. Elway also guided the Broncos on an NFL-record 47 fourth quarter or overtime, game-winning or game-saving drives in his illustrious career. He was a first ballot Hall of Famer in 2004.

"There's no question that the Super Bowl wins were the biggest accomplishments for me because as a player that's what you play for," the 48-year-old Elway said. "Pro Bowls and all-league types of things are nice, but when you play football and you play in the NFL, there's nothing like winning a Super Bowl. I had the opportunity to be in five (Super Bowls) and having lost the first three, I really appreciated the Super Bowl wins because I had gone through losses in that game. In my life, other than the birth of my kids, I don't anything will get back to that plateau. The pride and the joy of working that hard and getting 53 guys to go in one direction and be able to say that you're the best team in the world is pretty special." Usually held in August, Marcie Reynolds, the Pueblo Cooperative Case Center Director, moved the nonprofit's gala to March to accommodate Elway.

"I'm totally overwhelmed with the response from the community," Reynolds said. "I'm totally excited with the support that we got for the Cooperative Care. This community is all about people giving to people. That's what you see here tonight."

The Cooperative Care Center provides assistance to nearly 25,000 Pueblo County residents with food, clothing, medical prescriptions, transportation assistance and personal hygiene items. The annual gala is the organization's main fundraising event.

bcbronc
03-20-2009, 07:58 PM
"I think it's sad and unfortunate," Elway said. "Obviously, there was a lack of communication somewhere to where it blew this thing up to where it has got to now. I'm sad for both sides. I'm sad for the Broncos because I think that Jay is a great player and he obviously has a lot of potential and this is a great place for a player like him to play. Hopefully, they can get the rift fixed because I don't think that there's any rift that's too solid. "For Jay, there's not a better place to play football and to have a better opportunity to win Super Bowls because you have an owner (Pat Bowlen) who wants to win Super Bowls. As a quarterback, that's all you can ask for. I understand Jay's feelings got hurt, but it's too bad it has got to where it is. I wish Jay would have got some better advice from whoever he was getting advice from."

I'd say that's Elway calling Cutler out.

The Big JE hates Cutler too! woot we win! :elefant:

Denver Native (Carol)
03-20-2009, 08:40 PM
I'd say that's Elway calling Cutler out.

The Big JE hates Cutler too! woot we win! :elefant:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: