PDA

View Full Version : Who will be remembered as the better safety, John Lynch or Brian Dawkins?

DenBronx
02-27-2012, 02:39 AM
They both have played 16 seasons. Both guys became a Bronco in the latter part of their careers but both were incredible football players and leaders in the locker room.

I think Lynch hit harder but Dawkins is more athletic. Too bad we couldnt have had one of them earlier in their careers.

Anyhow, Lynch had 26 INTS and 13 sacks while Dawkins has had 37 INTS and 26 sacks.

DenBronx
02-27-2012, 02:46 AM
While Dawkins certainly had better ball hawking skills I just think Lynch put the fear of God in WRs because you wouldnt dare want to go over the middle. Even a RB for that matter, Lynch would hit them head on and cause a major car crash.

But like I said about Dawkins, he had a nose for the ball and the QB.

The thing I like about both safeties is they were always the nucleous of our defenses. I'm sad that we didnt get serious and build more of a better defense around Lynch though.

I went with Lynch, mainly because of the Fear Factor part.

dogfish
02-27-2012, 02:59 AM
dawkins, not close. . .

he hit just as hard as lynch and was just as tough in run support, was a far superior blitzer and an even better leader. . . and there's no comparing their coverage and ball skills. . .

lynch was one of the best safeties of his generation-- dawk's one of the best of all-time. . .

Lancane
02-27-2012, 03:20 AM
Tough poll DB, but I went with John Lynch as well, he was a better Bronco. ;)

Overall I believe Dawkins has and did have more talent all around, but John Lynch had an it factor that made him dangerous, much like Bill Romonowski.

shank
02-27-2012, 04:04 AM
it hurts my heart to try to decide, so i'm going to pull a buff and sit on the fence(post).

Jsteve01
02-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Wow LAN. And Dawkins didn't have the it factor? Hands down no question Dawkins much more well rounded and the heart and soul of every defense he ever played on

MOtorboat
02-27-2012, 07:59 AM
That's a great late-night radio show question. Meaning it could evoke hours of debate....

Northman
02-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Lynch had some pretty good players around him too just not as consistently as Dawk. However, i agree with Doggy that Dawkins was a more complete safety than Lynch and thus gets the nod from me in that regard.

broken12
02-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Atwater

Jsteve01
02-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Lynch had some pretty good players around him too just not as consistently as Dawk. However, i agree with Doggy that Dawkins was a more complete safety than Lynch and thus gets the nod from me in that regard.

Im in an arguing mood this morning...you think that Dawkins consistently had better players around him?

Lynch played with two future HOFers and one of the best corners of his generation. I think he benefited a little from those guys.

TheReverend
02-27-2012, 09:35 AM
http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/02/10/72/560774/3/628x471.jpg

TheReverend
02-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Im in an arguing mood this morning...you think that Dawkins consistently had better players around him?

Lynch played with two future HOFers and one of the best corners of his generation. I think he benefited a little from those guys.

Dawkins was schemed into a playmaker role by JJ, similar to how the Steelers use Polamalu while Lynch was dominantly a straight cover 2 safety, making plays off of reads and his back half of the field.

That's not a slight at Dawkins, as he earned the right by physical and mental ability and capitalized by making the plays when put into the situation to do so, but to compare the two off of end result stats is apples:oranges

claymore
02-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Id rather have a young lynch over a young Dawkins.

Chef Zambini
02-27-2012, 09:57 AM
dawkins will be HOF, not so sure about lynch.
I dont even think its close.

weazel
02-27-2012, 10:58 AM
all this thread title did was remind me how the Broncos love to sign washed up safeties

Northman
02-27-2012, 10:58 AM

Maybe my memory is fuzzy (very possible) but the Eagles defense to me was far more consistent defensively than Tampa's for most of their careers. I could be wrong but thats how i remember it. I still think that Dawk is much more of a complete safety than Lynch though.

DenBronx
02-27-2012, 11:47 AM
I think this poll is probably one of the hardest ever. Like I said, I really like both as Broncos and they have meant so much to our team.

DenBronx
02-27-2012, 11:49 AM
http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/02/10/72/560774/3/628x471.jpg

They say the Safety is the QB of the defense. If QBs are judged on wins/losses and SuperBowls then yeah, you have to say Lynch was more successfull because he won it all and also helped our team go to the AFCCG.

SOCALORADO.
02-27-2012, 11:52 AM
They say the Safety is the QB of the defense. If QBs are judged on wins/losses and SuperBowls then yeah, you have to say Lynch was more successfull because he won it all and also helped our team go to the AFCCG.

And he had a nasty habit of doing really mean things to QBs when he got the chance.
You know, like breaking Drews chicken wing. Hell, if it wasnt for that hit, Brees could still be in SD!
Who would you rather have to deal with twice a year, Brees or Quivers!?!?
Alls i can say is thanks John!
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/256/528/51827109_display_image.jpg?1276367177

BroncoNut
02-27-2012, 12:07 PM
throughout their NFL careers, I would say Dawkins. He was more the ballhawk. with the broncos, john lynch

SOCALORADO.
02-27-2012, 12:18 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2377/1557049395_14800649c3_o.gif

SOCALORADO.
02-27-2012, 12:27 PM
The hitman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_1qsqo5w9m

DenBronx
02-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Atwater

I purposely left him out of the debate because he played most of his career in Denver and he played a few years less than Dawk or Lynch. But Steve won more Superbowls then both Lynch and Dawk combined.

But Lynch and Dawks stats are more comparible and they are both at 16 years played as of right now.

The polls are 50/50 split down the middle. What other two Broncos can we compare like this? You really can't go wrong with either safety is what I think...so maybe I should have put in TIE for the 3rd answer.

BroncoNut
02-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Lynch was a helluva hitter, that's for sure.

Chef Zambini
02-27-2012, 02:47 PM
The hitmanTommy hearns?

TheReverend
02-27-2012, 03:24 PM
I think this poll is probably one of the hardest ever. Like I said, I really like both as Broncos and they have meant so much to our team.

There's no right answer. Both were not only passionate leaders, but really epitomize greatness in different ways.

So to me, it's a matter of preference:

-The hyper athletic player schemed for big and flashy plays

Or

-The heady, cerebral player that will make the consistent stops, instill fear and keep 7 pts off the board.

I choose the latter, but I can certainly empathize with someone choosing the former.

Simple Jaded
02-27-2012, 03:35 PM
all this thread title did was remind me how the Broncos love to sign washed up safeties

Didn't they kick Sharper's tires last year? Maybe they're growing out of it.......

Jsteve01
02-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Dawkins was schemed into a playmaker role by JJ, similar to how the Steelers use Polamalu while Lynch was dominantly a straight cover 2 safety, making plays off of reads and his back half of the field.

That's not a slight at Dawkins, as he earned the right by physical and mental ability and capitalized by making the plays when put into the situation to do so, but to compare the two off of end result stats is apples:oranges

My post made nothing of stats. I referred to the team that was built around both players, and the original assertion that Dawk consistently had better defenses around him, which I don't agree with.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Don't get me wrong, I loved John Lynch both as a Buc and a Bronco, but I think Brian Dawkins was/is a better Safety and player.

The defense Lynch played in had superstars at all three levels (DL, LB, and Secondary) and Lynch was widely seen as the third or even 4th best player on that defense (behind Sapp, Brooks, and possibly Rhonde Barber). Who did Dawkins really have? The Philly defense thrived off the Jim Johnson uber blitz-happy scheme which put a ton of pressure on the secondary. The scheme they ran made their front 7 look way better than they ever were.

Lynch was a cover 2 Safety who played in a time period where he was allowed to run free and blow-up WRs and TEs, at which he excelled, but he was never a "ball hawk" or much of a coverage guy. Lynch retired before he really had to adapt his game to the newer "defenseless receiver" rules and I think without the ability to just lay out WRs, his effectiveness would be limited.

Dawkins has been able to adapt his game to the new rules and is still extremely effective (when healthy) at pretty much everything except man coverage. He's still great in run support, rushing the passer, and playing deep over the top in zone.

If I had the opportunity to pick either one from the day they were drafted until the end of their career, I'd pick Dawkins every time.

Tned
02-27-2012, 08:14 PM
As a Broncos, I would have to go with Lynch. While Dawkins has been fierce at times, he also showed his age in '10 and then obviously injury took him off the field the latter part of '11.

I think Lynch played at a higher level, more consistantly during his time in Denver. Lynch has the SB win in Tampa, which is always a "cherry on top" of a player's career.

However, when you look at the whole career, and not just their time in Denver, it's a tough call.

topscribe
02-27-2012, 08:24 PM

I purposely left him out of the debate because he played most of his career in Denver and he played a few years less than Dawk or Lynch. But Steve won more Superbowls then both Lynch and Dawk combined.

But Lynch and Dawks stats are more comparible and they are both at 16 years played as of right now.

The polls are 50/50 split down the middle. What other two Broncos can we compare like this? You really can't go wrong with either safety is what I think...so maybe I should have put in TIE for the 3rd answer.

As a Broncos, I would have to go with Lynch. While Dawkins has been fierce at times, he also showed his age in '10 and then obviously injury took him off the field the latter part of '11.

I think Lynch played at a higher level, more consistantly during his time in Denver. Lynch has the SB win in Tampa, which is always a "cherry on top" of a player's career.

However, when you look at the whole career, and not just their time in Denver, it's a tough call.

I didn't vote because I just could not bring myself to pick one over the other . . .

-----

DenBronx
02-28-2012, 02:17 AM
I didn't vote because I just could not bring myself to pick one over the other . . .

-----

And that's why Obama is our President...:laugh:

topscribe
02-28-2012, 02:18 AM
And that's why Obama is our President...:laugh:
:eek:

:lol:

-----

HammeredOut
02-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Didn't we put Lynch in the Pro Bowl with only 39 total tackles on the season... lol

Npba900
02-29-2012, 09:25 PM

Bingo! When an organization finds themselves having to sign NFL stars that are past their prime years, its a testament to the fact that the scouting teams and the FO/player-evaluator have great difficulty drafting and developing future stars. I'm not really slighting the Broncos Organization per-say, but it really sheds light just how difficult it is to recognize, draft and develop talent.

I recall back in the 80's we able to draft both Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater to have one of the top 5 Safety tandems in the league. However, the NFL was different back then.

Lancane
02-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Bingo! When an organization finds themselves having to sign NFL stars that are past their prime years, its a testament to the fact that the scouting teams and the FO/player-evaluator have great difficulty drafting and developing future stars. I'm not really slighting the Broncos Organization per-say, but it really sheds light just how difficult it is to recognize, draft and develop talent.

I recall back in the 80's we able to draft both Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater to have one of the top 5 Safety tandems in the league. However, the NFL was different back then.

Truer words were never spoken! And let's not forget Tyrone Braxton. Safeties and Defensive Lineman were far easier to draft and to succeed at the next level back then, but the role of the safety has allotted to the change at the position, there are no more true 'headhunters' due to the changes in the rules and regulations, safeties are expected to be more streamline, more like corners then solid tacklers and finding one that has a grasp of both is what you hope for...but they're a lot harder to find - that's why we so many corners being converted to safety only to fall flat.

Npba900
02-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Truer words were never spoken! And let's not forget Tyrone Braxton. Safeties and Defensive Lineman were far easier to draft and to succeed at the next level back then, but the role of the safety has allotted to the change at the position, there are no more true 'headhunters' due to the changes in the rules and regulations, safeties are expected to be more streamline, more like corners then solid tacklers and finding one that has a grasp of both is what you hope for...but they're a lot harder to find - that's why we so many corners being converted to safety only to fall flat.

So true, the tragedy here is the owners and NFL Rules Commission has made the rules changes in favor of the offensive side of the ball for the pure sake fan entertainment and padded statistic numbers of high scoring while tying the hands of the defensive players.

The 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and the 90's were the NFL Golden years. What we are witnessing is today's NFL will be the possible backlash of unintended consequences of making defense irrelevant.