PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to add safety who can thump

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2012, 07:55 PM
INDIANAPOLIS _ One position the Broncos haven’t got quite right in the draft is safety.

Their two drafted safeties last year _ Rahim Moore in the second and Quinton Carter in the fourth _ each had their struggles with coming up to tackle.

And now with 16-year veteran Brian Dawkins expected to retire, the Broncos will be looking to sign a free-agent safety who can hit people. One possibility is Brandon Meriweather. A first-round pick of the New England Patriots, Meriweather hits so hard he was fined $50,000 by the NFL for his helmet-to-helmet blow to Ravens TE Todd Heap in 2010.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/02/26/broncos-to-add-safety-who-can-thump/12289/

UnderArmour
02-26-2012, 07:59 PM
NO. KEEP MERIWEATHER AWAY. Seriously. Do not sign this turd. He is a horrible football player who gets way too many penalties and has too many red flags off of the field. Take a chance on LaRon Landry, pay Michael Griffin, or if we really need another run-only safety steal Branch from the Raiders. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should Meriweather even be allowed into our facility unless he is interviewing to become a janitor. **** him.

cmc0605
02-26-2012, 07:59 PM
This would be a great move. I'd feel much better going to free agency for safety help than the draft (unless it was a top 10 or 15 pick, but we don't have that luxury). Some positions take time to adjust to in the NFL, and others rookies can jump in right away....DB is not one of them.

Simple Jaded
02-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Wouldn't it be ridiculous if Broncos fans lost their frekking mind because the Broncos draft/signed a safety without giving Moore, Bruton and Carter a chance to absolutely embarrass themselves repeatedly?

I know, right?.......

SR
02-26-2012, 08:29 PM
NO. KEEP MERIWEATHER AWAY. Seriously. Do not sign this turd. He is a horrible football player who gets way too many penalties and has too many red flags off of the field. Take a chance on LaRon Landry, pay Michael Griffin, or if we really need another run-only safety steal Branch from the Raiders. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should Meriweather even be allowed into our facility unless he is interviewing to become a janitor. **** him.

You're off your rocker

UnderArmour
02-26-2012, 09:48 PM
You're off your rocker

There's a reason Belichick cut the guy and he was confined to the bench virtually all of last year after he STOLE a check from Chicago. I'm not off my rocker at all here. He is a legitimately bad player.

SR
02-26-2012, 10:09 PM
You're off your rocker

There's a reason Belichick cut the guy and he was confined to the bench virtually all of last year after he STOLE a check from Chicago. I'm not off my rocker at all here. He is a legitimately bad player.

He's not a bad player ON the field. He's a dipshit OFF the field. It's all fixable.

Jsteve01
02-26-2012, 11:32 PM
He's not a bad player ON the field. He's a dipshit OFF the field. It's all fixable.

right cuz most guys with character concerns shape up all the sudden after being in the league for 4 years. Especially thugs from Miami

sneakers
02-27-2012, 12:36 AM
I thought we were done with Patriot rejects?

DenBronx
02-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Tyvon Branch please!

We get a good safety and it weakens the raiders.

Lancane
02-27-2012, 02:14 AM
I'm with Armour and DB on this one, I would prefer Branch myself. However, Merriweather is a better option then a good number of the safeties available. But I sincerely wouldn't be surprised if they went the cheaper route with the likes of Dwight Lowery in the end.

SR
02-27-2012, 08:53 AM
right cuz most guys with character concerns shape up all the sudden after being in the league for 4 years. Especially thugs from Miami

How do you know? I'll bet when you were 25-26 years old you did some pretty ******* dumb things, but as you GREW UP you probably shaped up didn't you? Half of the people in the NFL are "thugs" that come from shitty up bringings with shitty backgrounds, and as they grow up, they mature and realize fault in their ways. People deserve chances and I think Merriweather is coachable.

claymore
02-27-2012, 10:05 AM
How do you know? I'll bet when you were 25-26 years old you did some pretty ******* dumb things, but as you GREW UP you probably shaped up didn't you? Half of the people in the NFL are "thugs" that come from shitty up bringings with shitty backgrounds, and as they grow up, they mature and realize fault in their ways. People deserve chances and I think Merriweather is coachable.

I understand both sides. I dont know if we have the locker room to coach/mentor a head case though.

IMO, it takes another former thug, that transitioned out of the thug life to the pro-bowl to mentor these jabrones.

For instance, Merriweather might respond well to ray lewis. The only mentor we have that he might listen to is Champ, but thats not Champs style.

SOCALORADO.
02-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Dashon Goldson please.
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/389995/thumbs/r-49ERS-BROWNS-large570.jpg

Superchop 7
02-27-2012, 12:47 PM
I am not a Rahim Moore fan........but I am definately a Laron Landry fan.

GEM
02-27-2012, 01:03 PM
The big worry with Landry is that achilles. He won't have surgery on it and is using holistic ways to try to fix it. He pushes it too far out, we pay him the money and we have another Warren sitting on IR because the achilles actually ruptures.

BORDERLINE
02-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Moore and Carter are still growing. I would add one OK veteran safety in FA but let these young kids grow this up coming season. A second round pick cannot be given up so early in his career. I hope they both step it up. This defense is counting on it.

broncobryce
02-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Moore and Carter are still growing. I would add one OK veteran safety in FA but let these young kids grow this up coming season. A second round pick cannot be given up so early in his career. I hope they both step it up. This defense is counting on it.

I agree. You don't give up on a 1st or 2nd round guy after 1 season unless they are so terrible you plan on cutting them or they are that bad for the locker room.

Simple Jaded
02-27-2012, 04:37 PM
I agree. You don't give up on a 1st or 2nd round guy after 1 season unless they are so terrible you plan on cutting them or they are that bad for the locker room.

How bout after 2 seasons?.......

Ziggy
02-27-2012, 06:56 PM
This is yet another article that makes a statement based on a Klis assumption with no verification by anyone in the Broncos front office. He says that it would make sense, not that anyone in the organization even hinted that it is something that they would do.

dogfish
02-28-2012, 03:13 AM
This is yet another article that makes a statement based on a Klis assumption with no verification by anyone in the Broncos front office. He says that it would make sense, not that anyone in the organization even hinted that it is something that they would do.

in fairness, he isn't exactly sticking his neck out. . . :laugh:

arapaho2
02-28-2012, 11:53 AM
i think people forget last camp moore impressed everyone....we looked at him as the future, played solid early in preseason

then that big punishing hit....that he was wrongfully fined for....and he dropped off

i kinda think that hurt his game and development, here he is a rookie, not paid a huge amount...and gets a huge fine for his first big hit....thats a thing that mighta got in his head a bit

i'll give him a full offseason and 2012 to see whats up

Superchop 7
02-28-2012, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=GEM;1559570]The big worry with Landry is that achilles. He won't have surgery on it and is using holistic ways to try to fix it. He pushes it too far out, we pay him the money and we have another Warren sitting on IR because the achilles actually ruptures.[/QUOTE_____________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

I appreciate what you are saying....

Heres my take,

He has a 64% chance of coming back without surgery.

He has a 73% chance of coming back with surgery.

Obviously, anybody is going to structure a contract that covers their ass.........and......he isn't going to cost alot with that kind of baggage.

IMO......rolling the dice on a guy that is "lights out" when healthy?

Their is a 64% chance that you just got insane value for the player.

LRtagger
02-28-2012, 09:06 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/WashingtonPost/Content/Blogs/dc-sports-bog/StandingArt/landrygiant0212.jpg?uuid=yzo4gF5BEeGaOCcdGz7-jw

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/WashingtonPost/Content/Blogs/dc-sports-bog/StandingArt/landrygiant0212b.jpg?uuid=S_0hHF5CEeGaOCcdGz7-jw

WARHORSE
02-28-2012, 10:12 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/WashingtonPost/Content/Blogs/dc-sports-bog/StandingArt/landrygiant0212.jpg?uuid=yzo4gF5BEeGaOCcdGz7-jw

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/WashingtonPost/Content/Blogs/dc-sports-bog/StandingArt/landrygiant0212b.jpg?uuid=S_0hHF5CEeGaOCcdGz7-jw

OK.

You get paid millions.

Youre buff.

But man is that pathetic that you feel the need to photograph yourself in the john and put it out there on the web.

Is it just me?:tsk:

I wish I could rep myself on this one cause I would. heh heh

Chef Zambini
02-29-2012, 09:37 AM
NO. KEEP MERIWEATHER AWAY. Seriously. Do not sign this turd. He is a horrible football player who gets way too many penalties and has too many red flags off of the field. Take a chance on LaRon Landry, pay Michael Griffin, or if we really need another run-only safety steal Branch from the Raiders. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should Meriweather even be allowed into our facility unless he is interviewing to become a janitor. **** him.love your passion.

Chef Zambini
02-29-2012, 09:40 AM
I understand both sides. I dont know if we have the locker room to coach/mentor a head case though.

IMO, it takes another former thug, that transitioned out of the thug life to the pro-bowl to mentor these jabrones.

For instance, Merriweather might respond well to ray lewis. The only mentor we have that he might listen to is Champ, but thats not Champs style.maybe we can retain dawkins as a coach?
I agree about guys like meriweather needing council from a vet, another former bad boy.

Chef Zambini
02-29-2012, 09:46 AM
i think people forget last camp moore impressed everyone....we looked at him as the future, played solid early in preseason

then that big punishing hit....that he was wrongfully fined for....and he dropped off

i kinda think that hurt his game and development, here he is a rookie, not paid a huge amount...and gets a huge fine for his first big hit....thats a thing that mighta got in his head a bit

i'll give him a full offseason and 2012 to see whats up
excellent point!
the NFL fine system is a joke!
a fine should not represent 10-20% of a players EARNINGS, and likewise, a player making 5 mill a year is NOT going to be discouraged by a 5ok fine! the players were too stoopid to address this with the CBA!
we NEED two legitimate safeties that can tackle, hit and cover. apart from GOODMAN, safety is our weakest defensive link.