PDA

View Full Version : another lame rumor

weazel
03-19-2009, 04:00 PM
nydailynews.com

If the Jets decide to make a strong play for Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, who could wind up on the trading block in the coming days, they may need help from a certain Cleveland resident whom they unceremoniously dumped - Eric Mangini.

Wouldn't that be a trip?

The Jets have the need, the cap room and the draft-pick ammunition to make a serious offer for Cutler, but the one thing they probably don't have is a quarterback the Broncos would take in return.

That's where Mangini and the Browns would come in.
The former Jets coach has two viable quarterbacks, Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson, neither of whom has received an endorsement from Mangini. Quinn might be appealing to Broncos coach Josh McDaniels because he played at Notre Dame under Charlie Weis, who used to work with McDaniels in New England. Quinn is well-versed in the Weis/Patriots offensive system, which McDaniels will use in Denver.

That means the Browns could emerge as the third team in a potential three-way trade. The main components of a three-way deal would be the Jets getting Cutler, the Broncos getting Quinn and the Browns getting a premium draft pick (or picks) to help their rebuilding process. Without Mangini, the Jets would be hard-pressed to swing the deal.

Three-way trades are rare in the NFL, but Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum teamed up with the Broncos and Falcons in a 2006 trade that sent defensive end John Abraham to the Falcons.

The Jets haven't commented on their potential interest in Cutler, and they won't because of tampering restrictions, but they haven't ruled out the possibility of making an offer for the disgruntled quarterback, according to a league source. Translation: They're interested. The degree of interest isn't clear, but internal discussions on Cutler are ongoing. One Tannenbaum confidant said he suspects the GM already has placed a call to the Broncos.
Cutler, upset that his name was floated in trade talks, has formally requested a trade. It doesn't mean he's a goner, although people familiar with the situation believe the Cutler-McDaniels relationship is irreparable. McDaniels has said he'd like another chance to resolve his differences with Cutler before putting him on the trading block.

It's possible that trade talks could commence at the NFL owners' meetings, which begin Sunday in Dana Point, Calif.

The Jets own the 17th, 52nd and 76th picks in the upcoming draft. They'd have to surrender their first-round choice in a Cutler trade - and then some. Is he worth it?

"If the Jets have a chance to trade for him, I'd get him," an NFC scout said Wednesday, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "This kid is one of the top 10 quarterbacks in the league. When you get one of those guys, you've got a chance to win every Sunday."

Publicly, the Jets say they'd be content to go into training camp with a three-way competition between Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Erik Ainge, but they also recognize that it's unusual for a 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback to become available. Owner Woody Johnson has a new stadium to fill and PSLs to sell, and Cutler would be a long-term draw.

But there's some baggage. Cutler's interception-prone ways (37 in 37 career starts) would clash with Rex Ryan's defensive-oriented philosophy. Cutler's detractors also point to his record (17-20), although he has played with a horrible defense. When the Broncos hold opponents under 24 points, his record is 13-4. There are also questions about his maturity and attitude.
"Cutler is cocky and he comes off as a little arrogant," the scout said, "but who wants a milquetoast quarterback?"

TXBRONC
03-19-2009, 04:23 PM
nydailynews.com

If the Jets decide to make a strong play for Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, who could wind up on the trading block in the coming days, they may need help from a certain Cleveland resident whom they unceremoniously dumped - Eric Mangini.

Wouldn't that be a trip?

The Jets have the need, the cap room and the draft-pick ammunition to make a serious offer for Cutler, but the one thing they probably don't have is a quarterback the Broncos would take in return.

That's where Mangini and the Browns would come in.
The former Jets coach has two viable quarterbacks, Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson, neither of whom has received an endorsement from Mangini. Quinn might be appealing to Broncos coach Josh McDaniels because he played at Notre Dame under Charlie Weis, who used to work with McDaniels in New England. Quinn is well-versed in the Weis/Patriots offensive system, which McDaniels will use in Denver.

That means the Browns could emerge as the third team in a potential three-way trade. The main components of a three-way deal would be the Jets getting Cutler, the Broncos getting Quinn and the Browns getting a premium draft pick (or picks) to help their rebuilding process. Without Mangini, the Jets would be hard-pressed to swing the deal.

Three-way trades are rare in the NFL, but Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum teamed up with the Broncos and Falcons in a 2006 trade that sent defensive end John Abraham to the Falcons.

The Jets haven't commented on their potential interest in Cutler, and they won't because of tampering restrictions, but they haven't ruled out the possibility of making an offer for the disgruntled quarterback, according to a league source. Translation: They're interested. The degree of interest isn't clear, but internal discussions on Cutler are ongoing. One Tannenbaum confidant said he suspects the GM already has placed a call to the Broncos.
Cutler, upset that his name was floated in trade talks, has formally requested a trade. It doesn't mean he's a goner, although people familiar with the situation believe the Cutler-McDaniels relationship is irreparable. McDaniels has said he'd like another chance to resolve his differences with Cutler before putting him on the trading block.

It's possible that trade talks could commence at the NFL owners' meetings, which begin Sunday in Dana Point, Calif.

The Jets own the 17th, 52nd and 76th picks in the upcoming draft. They'd have to surrender their first-round choice in a Cutler trade - and then some. Is he worth it?

"If the Jets have a chance to trade for him, I'd get him," an NFC scout said Wednesday, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "This kid is one of the top 10 quarterbacks in the league. When you get one of those guys, you've got a chance to win every Sunday."

Publicly, the Jets say they'd be content to go into training camp with a three-way competition between Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Erik Ainge, but they also recognize that it's unusual for a 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback to become available. Owner Woody Johnson has a new stadium to fill and PSLs to sell, and Cutler would be a long-term draw.

But there's some baggage. Cutler's interception-prone ways (37 in 37 career starts) would clash with Rex Ryan's defensive-oriented philosophy. Cutler's detractors also point to his record (17-20), although he has played with a horrible defense. When the Broncos hold opponents under 24 points, his record is 13-4. There are also questions about his maturity and attitude.
"Cutler is cocky and he comes off as a little arrogant," the scout said, "but who wants a milquetoast quarterback?"

Apparently Josh McDaniels likes milquetoast quarterbacks.

JKcatch724
03-19-2009, 05:35 PM
lol at the Jets fans creaming themselves at the thought of getting Cutler. Not gonna happen.

OrangeHoof
03-19-2009, 05:40 PM
For the Broncos, that's essentially Cutler for Quinn. Anybody here want to do that?

BroncoWave
03-19-2009, 05:49 PM
For the Broncos, that's essentially Cutler for Quinn. Anybody here want to do that?

I like Quinn's potential. Of course I'd rather have Cutler but if we do wind up trading Cutler, I'd much rather have Quinn than pretty much any other option mentioed thus far.

Bill Devaroe
03-19-2009, 05:53 PM
I would do it for Cleo Lemon or Garrard. Quinn is a serious injusry risk.

WARHORSE
03-19-2009, 06:04 PM
I would do it for Cleo Lemon or Garrard. Quinn is a serious injusry risk.

Do you mean, industry risk?

Just askin..........:confused:

WARHORSE
03-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Thinking of Brady Quinn in a Broncos uniform under center makes me want to drink beer and make my wife run wind sprints on my whistle.

Shazam!
03-19-2009, 06:41 PM
NYJ fans and the whole NY Sports media are all playing with themselves. They have nothing to offer, except the #17 overall. F'em.

If only they kept Chad Pennington in the first place they would've made the Playoffs last year, stupid poor shysters.

claymore
03-19-2009, 06:54 PM
NYJ fans and the whole NY Sports media are all playing with themselves. They have nothing to offer, except the #17 overall. F'em.

If only they kept Chad Pennington in the first place they would've made the Playoffs last year, stupid poor shysters.
Perfect example of the QB that wasnt the problem.

Thinking of Brady Quinn in a Broncos uniform under center makes me want to drink beer and make my wife run wind sprints on my whistle.

Makes me sick, I might not even tell my kids. Seriously.

getlynched47
03-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Lame...