PDA

View Full Version : Paige: Don't destroy franchise

Denver Native (Carol)
03-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11945954

Go ahead, trade Jay Cutler! Get rid of him! Really, really punish him by sending him to Detroit! Or, better still, Siberia! Purge the pouter! Kick him to the curb and throw him under the Bus Cook!

But, remember this: Those Jeffs-, Jodys-, Jaspers-, Joshes- come-lately had better study the Broncos' history, or they are doomed to repeat the three-, four- and five-victory seasons.

Two words: Steve Ramsey.

Two more words: Steve Tensi.

Two more words: Steve DeBerg.

Lord, what fools these mortals be! — Billy Shakespeare

To all the mortals inside Broncos Compound and outside Pigeon Valley who are demanding that Cutler be dumped like a load of coal, don't come crying to me after you've made that monumental mistake. Be careful what you wish for. You may get it.

Give me a quarterback who pouts and cares, who is furious and doesn't return phone calls, who wears a Ringo Starr hairstyle, his cap on backward and his shirttail sticking out, who is boastful and remote and who soon will be one of the top five at his position in the NFL.

I'll give you a quarterback who is gracious and affable, who has excellent table manners and wears an Armani suit, who has a smile on his face and a George Hamilton tan on his body, who likes to tweet on his Twitter and show up at your kid's birthday party dressed as a purple dinosaur, and who will be a guy who always plays just good enough to get you beat.

Matt Robinson, traded to the Broncos when he was 25, possessed a pleasant disposition and a nice car. He was an awful quarterback — two touchdowns and 12 interceptions in seven starts — and shuffled off to Buffalo the next season.

People, including a head coach, who haven't lived in Denver for a long time, or aren't old enough to recall the seasons before 1977, may not be aware that the Broncos have suited up 57 quarterbacks since 1960.

There have been 50 — count 'em — 50 different starting quarterbacks for the Broncos in 49 seasons.

The vast majority couldn't play dead.

One ended up living under a bridge.

So, you want to go back to Frank Tripucka, Mickey Slaughter, Max Choboian, Bubby Brister and George "Don't Call Me Bernard" Shaw.

Or the three Steves, Tensi, Ramsey and DeBerg.

Tensi and Ramsey were "retired" by age 29. DeBerg had three winning seasons as a full-time starter.

The first names of three of the Broncos' four best quarterbacks begin with "J" — John, Jake and Jay. The other was Craig Morton. Three of the four played quarterback for the Broncos in 31 postseason games, eight conference championships and six Super Bowls.

Of all the rest, only six played quarterback in postseason games.

Cutler is the best quarterback the Broncos have picked in the collegiate draft. (Don't hand me ex-starters Brian Griese, Tommy Maddox or Mark Herrmann.)

In 1983 the Colts drafted a young, pouting, defiant quarterback who demanded to be traded, and he was sent to Denver. The Colts didn't recover until drafting another great quarterback No. 1 in 1998, Peyton Manning.

In 1991 the Cleveland Browns hired the league's youngest head coach. He feuded with his starting quarterback, Bernie Kosar (who had lifted the Browns to three AFC championship games, only to lose to the Broncos), and eventually replaced him with Vinny Testaverde. Kosar took over for the injured Troy Aikman in the NFC championship and led the Cowboys to the victory. The Browns coach, with a 36-44 record, was fired after the 1995 season. Bill Belichick.

Shall we be clear about McJaygate? After the first reports about the trade gone awry surfaced, coach Josh McDaniels told Mike Klis of The Denver Post: "We don't want to trade Jay. We never did. He's our quarterback."

A few days ago McDaniels told Peter King of Sports Illustrated that he did pursue a deal with New England for Matt Cassel, but "I think we were too late to the dance."

This is not a prom. It's pro football.

If I were the coach, I'd fly to Nashville and tell Cutler: "I'm sorry. I made a rookie mistake. You're our quarterback."

But, Josh, and Jeff and Jody and you, go ahead and run Jay out of Our Dusty Old Cowtown, for spite.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

Dreadnought
03-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Thats the perfect parallel I was looking for! Matt Robinson! The guy had a very good year with the Jets in 1979, and we gave away the store to get him as a replacement for an aging and immobile Craig Morton. He was beyond dismal in 1980 - the worst Bronco QB I ever saw as a starter.

I think Cassell = Robinson works even better than Cassell = Scott Mitchell. Well, The Chiefs will find out soon enough anyway

CoachChaz
03-19-2009, 03:16 PM
There are alot of one year wonders...and there are a fair share of guys to come from nowhere and be very good. Time will tell which one Cassell is.

Simple Jaded
03-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Three weeks ago I thought that Hughgie McGrant was the only one stupid enough to want Jay Cutler gone.......never underestimate the stupidity of Denver Broncos fans. Careful what you wish for, Broncos fans.......you just might end up with Tim Tebow.......

sanluis
03-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Good read!

LoyalSoldier
03-19-2009, 03:35 PM
I always hate how fast fans turn on their players.

CoachChaz
03-19-2009, 03:39 PM
I know there are extenuating circumstances, but Cutler asked for a trade. That means he doesnt want to be a Bronco. Se la vie

NightTrainLayne
03-19-2009, 03:39 PM
I always hate how fast fans turn on their players.

And their Coaches. . .

Magnificent Seven
03-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Players shouldn't burn the bridge with their coaches and owners.

Dreadnought
03-19-2009, 03:42 PM
And their Coaches. . .

I never turned on Shanahan, and still wish he was here. McD hasn't delivered a single win yet. I have no emotional investment in him at all.

CoachChaz
03-19-2009, 03:44 PM
I never turned on Shanahan, and still wish he was here. McD hasn't delivered a single win yet. I have no emotional investment in him at all.

Undserstandable stance...but he is our coach and odds are he'll likely still be after our first win and first loss.

NightTrainLayne
03-19-2009, 03:50 PM

I suppose, but the guy hasn't even coached a single game yet.

I was 100% behind Shanahan until the moment Bowlen let him go. .. .well, maybe only 85% behind him after he said he was keeping Slowik around for another year, but I still was in his corner.

And I'm not choosing McD over Cutler. To the contrary, I want them both. I just figure that assuming the worst and calling McD a liar and idiot before he even coaches a single game is not constructive (and you're not doing this Dread).

Dreadnought
03-19-2009, 03:58 PM
calling McD a liar and idiot before he even coaches a single game is not constructive (and you're not doing this Dread).

You take that back!!! I have in fact called him a liar and an idiot :lol:

Medford Bronco
03-19-2009, 04:02 PM
I know there are extenuating circumstances, but Cutler asked for a trade. That means he doesnt want to be a Bronco. Se la vie

and to top it off, he has gone extremley overboard and with the help of Bus cook has made this a much bigger mess than it ever had to be.

both sides are at fault here big time, but it seems that Culter wants to shoot his way out of Denver rather than try to repair the relationship.

LRtagger
03-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Good article by Paige...I was waiting for someone to point out what Belichick did in Cleveland to Kosar and how similar this situation is. Although Belichick undoubtedly wanted Kosar out, but McD doesn't necessarily feel the same way about Cutler.

In any event, what Belichick did with Kosar to start his tenure in Cleveland ultimately led to him failing there. I hope history does not repeat itself in Denver.

TXBRONC
03-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Good article by Paige...I was waiting for someone to point out what Belichick did in Cleveland to Kosar and how similar this situation is. Although Belichick undoubtedly wanted Kosar out, but McD doesn't necessarily feel the same way about Cutler.

In any event, what Belichick did with Kosar to start his tenure in Cleveland ultimately led to him failing there. I hope history does not repeat itself in Denver.

I hope you're right, but sure does look like we are headed down that path.

dogfish
03-19-2009, 04:28 PM
holy shit, when did woody sober up enough to actually write a decent article?

weazel
03-19-2009, 04:29 PM

apparently donte stallworth stole his bottle

BigDaddyBronco
03-19-2009, 04:45 PM
I wish Pat Bowlen would sober up long enough to fix this mess.

elsid13
03-19-2009, 04:52 PM
This must be killing Woody. He and Cutler don't get along at all, and here Woody is defending his ass, like Cutler is his first born.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-19-2009, 04:55 PM
This must be killing Woody. He and Cutler don't get along at all, and here Woody is defending his ass, like Cutler is his first born.

I've never heard they don't get along. Besides, you don't need to like someone to admit you feel they are right.

elsid13
03-19-2009, 05:00 PM
I've never heard they don't get along. Besides, you don't need to like someone to admit you feel they are right.

There was blog a couple of years ago when Woody blasted Cutler and his "crew" ~ Marshall and Scheffer. Evidently they had some words at golf club about something Woody wrote about Marshall. Nothing major but Woody kinda was cool to Cutler since then.

DenBronx
03-19-2009, 05:19 PM

i actually called his voice mail to thank him for it.

OrangeHoof
03-19-2009, 05:30 PM

It's a bit unnerving to agree with him. Then again, he's the type that will turn around and write the opposite tomorrow. That's what happens when you work at ESPN. I think the producers tell you which opinion you'll have before the red light goes on so they can make sure to have conflict.

fcspikeit
03-19-2009, 05:52 PM
This is one of the best articles wrote on this situation to date.. Thanks for posting Carol... :salute:

Broncolingus
03-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Unfortunately, I think the damage has been done...

But, until those two sit down together (with no friggin agents or GMs hangin around) and try and hash things out, then address the public after with the same story, who knows WTF the 'real' situation is...

I do know I'm already getting pretty-tired of this circus though...

fcspikeit
03-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Shall we be clear about McJaygate? After the first reports about the trade gone awry surfaced, coach Josh McDaniels told Mike Klis of The Denver Post: "We don't want to trade Jay. We never did. He's our quarterback."

A few days ago McDaniels told Peter King of Sports Illustrated that he did pursue a deal with New England for Matt Cassel, but "I think we were too late to the dance."

What happened to, we just answered the phone, then said we weren't interested in going to the dance? :confused:

How many still believe McDaniels didn't actively pursue the Cutler trade? :laugh:

WARHORSE
03-19-2009, 06:10 PM
There are alot of one year wonders...and there are a fair share of guys to come from nowhere and be very good. Time will tell which one Cassell is.

I dont care about Cassell though. Hes a tampon colored cheevy now, and plays like this: :mad:

WARHORSE
03-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Ok. That was gross.

Which is my point though.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-19-2009, 06:11 PM
What happened to, we just answered the phone, then said we weren't interested in going to the dance? :confused:

How many still believe McDaniels didn't actively pursue the Cutler trade? :laugh:

Well - the same thing that happened when Bowlen basically said that he could not remember if he talked with Jay or not :whoknows:

fcspikeit
03-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Well - the same thing that happened when Bowlen basically said that he could not remember if he talked with Jay or not :whoknows:

What do you suppose the odds are the Pats had already sent Cassel off to dance with they Chiefs before they called the Broncos :confused:

That sounds good enough to me, yeah, lets go with that... :laugh:

Denver Native (Carol)
03-19-2009, 06:46 PM
What do you suppose the odds are the Pats had already sent Cassel off to dance with they Chiefs before they called the Broncos :confused:

That sounds good enough to me, yeah, lets go with that... :laugh:

WHY NOT - we have not heard that one yet - sounds as good as what we have heard so far :laugh:

fcspikeit
03-19-2009, 07:28 PM
WHY NOT - we have not heard that one yet - sounds as good as what we have heard so far :laugh:

Well considering the only other conclusion you could get from the quote "I think we were too late to the dance." is that the Broncos called NE about Cassel after they had already agreed to send him off to the ball with KC ;)

TXBRONC
03-19-2009, 11:16 PM

I think over the past few weeks Woody's articles have very good.

Superchop 7
03-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Oh no, McKid needs to learn "the business"

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Oh no, McKid needs to learn "the business"

Yeah...because we are all obvious authorities

CoachChaz
03-20-2009, 02:57 PM
I think over the past few weeks Woody's articles have very good.

I think Hitler could write an article on how Jay is actually Christ and people would think it's good.