PDA

View Full Version : There's good chance Broncos could select defensive tackle with 25th pick in NFL draft

Denver Native (Carol)
02-25-2012, 02:34 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — Cornerback, defensive tackle, running back.

In that order. The Broncos are expected to address all three of those positions of need through the draft.

John Elway didn't play any of those positions during his Hall of Fame career with the Broncos. But he is evaluating players at those positions as the team's front-office boss.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20041813

dogfish
02-25-2012, 02:37 PM
There's good chance Broncos could select defensive tackle with 25th pick in NFL draft

yea, right. . . we haven't done so in decades, but there's a "good chance" now. . . my ass!

:laugh:

slim
02-25-2012, 02:44 PM
yea, right. . . we haven't done so in decades, but there's a "good chance" now. . . my ass!

According to my Chinese calendar, it is the year of the lardass!

Besides, it's bound to happen eventually.

TheReverend
02-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Slide, Devon, slide!

dogfish
02-25-2012, 02:50 PM
According to my Chinese calendar, it is the year of the lardass!

Besides, it's bound to happen eventually.

i'll consider believing it if i ever see it-- certainly not a second sooner. . . .

TheReverend
02-25-2012, 02:59 PM

After reading this post I did a quick look of 1st round picks Denver's made over the past decade and then followed it with 2nd round picks out of curiosity's sake:

First round (02-Current)

QB 2
RB 1
WR 2
TE
OT 2
IOL

DT
DE 2
LB 2
CB
S

Second round (02-Current)

QB
RB 2
WR 2
TE 2
OT 1
IOL 1

DT
DE 1
LB 1
CB 2
S 2

Draw whatever conclusions from that as you will, but I personally think it does a pretty effective job of highlighting both the weakness in our pass defense along with the interior of our defense.

OrangeHoof
02-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Good job. I remember Trevor Pryce but I think he was a DE when drafted and he was also taken a lot longer ago than it seems.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-25-2012, 03:48 PM
The article states that the last time the Broncos drafted a DT in the first round was in 1988 - Ted Gregory.

turftoad
02-25-2012, 04:17 PM
The article states that the last time the Broncos drafted a DT in the first round was in 1988 - Ted Gregory.

Gawd I remember that. He got to Denver, stepped off the plane and was like 2" shorter and 30lbs lighter than they said he was. :tsk: What a waste that was.

HammeredOut
02-25-2012, 06:03 PM
I just think that our ownership or GMs have historically picked DTs or DEs through FA or trade. So why are they going to stop now.

I have been saying we need to pick up Zach Brown in the 1st for a while. It seems Detroit is going to select him ahead of us.

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/nfl-combine/article-1/North-Carolina-LB-Zach-Brown-could-be-a-good-fit-for-Lions-with-unique-size-speed-combination/f595fb90-279d-4784-b0d4-cf0257904e17

So does that mean, L. James is now a first rounder?? The Broncos need to help the run spread option "TebowCat Offense". L.James is that guy, much like how Percy Harvin helped Tebow in Florida, James can do much of the same.

Lancane
02-25-2012, 07:47 PM
rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20041813

Sort of misleading Carol only because it's opinionative, said there were a lot of positions they were in need of and he really did curb the comment to not target specific needs of the team. As he said, that position seems to be an issue every year. Sadly, this isn't exactly a strong defensive tackle class, it's decent but by no means is it spectacular. I could easily see Denver following the old blueprint and fixing the line through free agency and using the picks elsewhere as Hammer stated, I don't see a reason for that to change.

Miller was not really a surprise, Denver has drafted more linebackers in the first round then any other team in AFCW, and I might add usually been successful in that aspect. Defensive Lineman have been a crux for Denver when drafted in the first round, and could well be the same this year with the class looking like a true crapshoot.

Simple Jaded
02-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Cordy Glenn killed it today, if he drops the Broncos should take him.......

Lancane
02-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Cordy Glenn killed it today, if he drops the Broncos should take him.......

I've seen a couple mocks with us taking a tight end early, especially since the free agent market and the position is rather thin. Glenn did well, I was also impressed with Evan Rodriguez of Temple.

Simple Jaded
02-25-2012, 09:46 PM
I've seen a couple mocks with us taking a tight end early, especially since the free agent market and the position is rather thin. Glenn did well, I was also impressed with Evan Rodriguez of Temple.

Is Rodriguez better than Virgil Green? Probably similar athletes but l won't pretend to know much more than that about either.

This is not a good year to need a TE, Bennett and Kellen Davis in FA could be nice if they didn't come with "buyer beware" tags. There are a lot of needs and after taking 2 last year TE might be a luxury at this point.

I wouldn't mind Davis or Bennett on one of those short term contracts Denver used last year. They'll try to keep Fells, by the way, rumor is Sad Diego is looking at him.......

Lancane
02-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Is Rodriguez better than Virgil Green? Probably similar athletes but l won't pretend to know much more than that about either.

This is not a good year to need a TE, Bennett and Kellen Davis in FA could be nice if they didn't come with "buyer beware" tags. There are a lot of needs and after taking 2 last year TE might be a luxury at this point.

I wouldn't mind Davis or Bennett on one of those short term contracts Denver used last year. They'll try to keep Fells, by the way, rumor is Sad Diego is looking at him.......

I'd say Rodriguez is more of a receiving tight end much like Coby (Fleener), but neither is as well rounded as Green.

Completely have to agree on the weakness of this FA Class at the position, it's horrid and Denver needs to retain Fells, we have two unproven sophomores and will likely have to draft a tight end or take a veteran dumped after the draft...the loss of Fells would probably force us to overpay one of those flagged tight ends or even take a tight end too early and still be left wanting.

Simple Jaded
02-25-2012, 10:16 PM
I'd say Rodriguez is more of a receiving tight end much like Cordy, but neither is as well rounded as Green.

Completely have to agree on the weakness of this FA Class at the position, it's horrid and Denver needs to retain Fells, we have two unproven sophomores and will likely have to draft a tight end or take a veteran dumped after the draft...the loss of Fells would probably force us to overpay one of those flagged tight ends or even take a tight end too early and still be left wanting.

l'd rather see Denver go with Rosario/Thomas/Green than get into a bidding war for Fells tho.......

Lancane
02-25-2012, 10:21 PM
l'd rather see Denver go with Rosario/Thomas/Green than get into a bidding war for Fells tho.......

Rosario was third on the depth chart, he's not better then the sophomores in question where Fells is, but I can understand that take on it. Either way, Denver is likely to have four or five tight ends at the start of camp.

Lancane
02-25-2012, 11:05 PM
As for offensive lineman, Cordy Glenn is a beast at the guard position, as is Osemele who could be had later, but we have no idea what offense Denver is going to run, and if they'll be changing the blocking scheme once again, if Denver stick with the ZBS...then I would say Lonnie Edwards would be a good pick later on.

HammeredOut
02-25-2012, 11:32 PM
As for offensive lineman, Cordy Glenn is a beast at the guard position, as is Osemele who could be had later, but we have no idea what offense Denver is going to run, and if they'll be changing the blocking scheme once again, if Denver stick with the ZBS...then I would say Lonnie Edwards would be a good pick later on.

They don't need a guard with the first pick. Remember, the "TebowCat Offense" would have smashed overall rushing records, had he played the entire season. I would say we just need another playmaker who has more speed on offense such as the running back position. Or if the best availble player so happens to be a Cornerback, I would select somebody to start opposite of Champ, and learn under his leadership.

Lancane
02-25-2012, 11:59 PM
They don't need a guard with the first pick. Remember, the "TebowCat Offense" would have smashed overall rushing records, had he played the entire season. I would say we just need another playmaker who has more speed on offense such as the running back position. Or if the best availble player so happens to be a Cornerback, I would select somebody to start opposite of Champ, and learn under his leadership.

That may be, but they're not going to run the same offense Hammer, this is the second post in which you've mentioned that, I think maybe you didn't read what Fox said about going with a pro-style offense this upcoming season...they'll still utilize some option plays I believe, because he did state they'll keep some things that that worked, but the overall scheme of the offense is different, that could effect the blocking scheme.

However, I have to agree...I don't see them going after a first round lineman. And if they find the defensive lineman class wanting at that spot or early on, I would also have to agree that a cornerback could be an option, I'm leaning towards tight end because the thinness of the free agency class, I know it's not a sexy pick, but another weapon never hurts especially with Tebow having to adapt to the offense, which will probably be a makeshift of the Erhardt-Perkins and some of what they liked from the Option, that would be my guess. I don't see them totally switching to something like the Air-Coryell or anything like that.

Simple Jaded
02-26-2012, 12:36 AM

Overall the OL was pretty good but Walton and Beadles are weak. Aside from QB, S and TE l don't think there are bigger liabilities in the starting lineup.

As for CB, l sincerely doubt Claiborne, Jenkins and Kirkpatrick will be around at 25 either. First rnd RB's are a luxury and have become increasingly rare, especially considering starters have been found after the draft is over.

Denver could literally go with almost any position with their 1st rnd pick, imo.......

Simple Jaded
02-26-2012, 12:39 AM
I love the Air-Coryell, l wish they woulda hire Ken Zampese last year. A Coryell offense with a commitment to the run.......

Lancane
02-26-2012, 01:02 AM
I love the Air-Coryell, l wish they woulda hire Ken Zampese last year. A Coryell offense with a commitment to the run.......

It would be nice to see the Air-Coryell in Denver, but until the offense completely flutters and they decide to change, we'll probably be stuck with a Erhardt-Perkins based offense, of course McCoy has some minor familiarity with the Coryell Offense, so maybe they'll throw some in as part of the makeshift system they'll be using? That would be a nice change of pace, more then likely as I stated though, the meat and potatoes will be Erhardt-Perkins, with some Air-Erhardt and a handful of Option Plays, I wouldn't be against throwing some of the Pistol Offense thrown in like they do in Pittsburgh.

bcbronc
02-26-2012, 04:49 AM

Fells isn't going to be getting some huge contract, even if there is a bidding war. Be a bad move to let him go over a few hundred thousand bucks imo.

I do agree with the article that DT, CB and RB are our three biggest needs, and by a hefty margin (depending on Irving and Moore I guess). I'm confident that between Fox and Del Rio, defensive tackle will be a strength of this club in short order. Using a first rounder would be a great first step.

The Glue Factory
02-26-2012, 09:47 AM
I just think that our ownership or GMs have historically picked DTs or DEs through FA or trade. So why are they going to stop now.

Um, maybe something about a new Executive VP of football OPs? That same new EVP has shown in his 1 year history that things are different in the FO from the past?

I think it's shortsighted to say new personnel will do things exactly the same as old personnel until they've built their own history.

Northman
02-26-2012, 09:53 AM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419Xmn3xfaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

randyschwimmer7
02-26-2012, 10:02 AM
I am not quite sure why so many people would not use Vontaz Burfict with the first round pick. Tell me how good our defense has been since 2006 when we lost big Al?

If Hightower or Burfict are sitting there at 25, they will 100% be the pick.

After that it would be best available CB on the board. There will better value in round 2 for DT.

I'm not quite sold on Irving yet.

Northman
02-26-2012, 10:04 AM
I am not quite sure why so many people would not use Vontaz Burfict with the first round pick. Tell me how good our defense has been since 2006 when we lost big Al?

After that it would be best available CB on the board. There will better value in round 2 for DT.

I like Burfict but there are concerns about his character and i know that Denver is moving away from those type's of attitudes. As for Hightower, i would take him as well but Denver still needs to be able to stop the run and Champ isnt getting any younger.

CoachChaz
02-26-2012, 10:20 AM
I amp not quite sure why so many people would not use Vontaz Burfict with the first round pick. Tell me how good our defense has been since 2006 when we lost big Al?

Hard for anyone to be sold on Irving til he shows it on the field. The Broncos brass will say a lot about how they feel about him with what they do at the position in FA/draft and negotiating with Mays.

Personally, I find it hard not to like him, but its not my call

Shananahan
02-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Sure, he's likable. Too bad he's a shitty middle linebacker.

Jsteve01
02-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Sure, he's likable. Too bad he's a shitty middle linebacker.

Too bad you're a shitty poster. Far too early to say Irving is shitty. He definitely wasn't shitty at NC state

Shananahan
02-27-2012, 02:24 AM
Oh, I was talking about Mays. I misread his post, I guess.

I'm excited about Irving.