PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts

Jsteve01
02-24-2012, 04:25 PM
I know that most of us have been frustrated with Goodman's regression at corner. And many of us have wondered when Champ makes the move to safety. What if Goodman is the guy that transitions to safety this year ala Tyrone Braxton and Champ stays put for another year?

I know many have loved to hate him but Goody at FS could be pretty solid if his body could hold up.

Flame on

Ziggy
02-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Champ is still a top 5 corner in the NFL. I've seen the talk of moving him to safety for years now, and I'm not buying it. It's harder to find a good shut down corner than it is to find a good safety. I see him more as a Darryl Green than a Rod Woodson.

Jsteve01
02-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Champ is still a top 5 corner in the NFL. I've seen the talk of moving him to safety for years now, and I'm not buying it. It's harder to find a good shut down corner than it is to find a good safety. I see him more as a Darryl Green than a Rod Woodson.

lol agreed hence my post

Lancane
02-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Unfortunately Goodman doesn't have the tangibles you'd like to have in a safety J. Whereas Bailey can step up to the line of scrimmage and can play against the run, rush the passer and so forth, as we've seen.

Goodman would probably be a bigger liability at safety then he is at corner to be honest.

BroncoStud
02-24-2012, 07:24 PM
I would just like to see Goodman move to NB and bring in a real #2 CB. He pretty much sucks. Champ still performs at a high level.

Buff
02-24-2012, 07:40 PM
I don't hate the idea... Goodman's strengths seem to be more in his ball skills and veteran positioning instincts as opposed to his lock down man coverage abilities.

But on the other hand, I don't know that he'd be any more valuable than a middle-of-the-road free agent pickup or middle round draft pick at safety. At the end of the day he probably still adds the most value at DB. He'd probably be better off in a Cover 2 heavy scheme too.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Safeties are expected to tackle. Typically, one of your Safeties is in the top 3 in tackles on the defense. Goodman is the worst tackling CB I've seen since Deion Sanders...

I just don't think Goodman could do it. Even if he's never up in run support, he'll eventually have to tackle WRs and TEs in space as a Safety. He can do neither...

I'd rather move Chris Harris to Safety and draft/sign another CB to play the nickel than have Goodman be our "last line of defense".

TheReverend
02-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Goodman's regression at corner

How do you regress from "crap"?

Lancane
02-24-2012, 08:37 PM

Become crappier! :lol:

NightTerror218
02-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Become crappier! :lol:

Become the Jamarcus Russel of the CB position.

LTC Pain
02-24-2012, 08:50 PM

Sub-crap syndrome???

D1g1tal j1m
02-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Goodman would be lost at Safety. He doesn't have the ball skills or tackling mentality to play either Safety spots.

SpringsBroncoFan
02-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Yuck, I'd almost want to just leave our "ball hawking" rookie who can't tackle there... well, no maybe not! :lol:

Maybe Moore bulks up, gets some camp time and gets better...

I'd rather just leave Q there and bring in a vet who already knows how to play safety... the assumption being Dawk is either done or will get axed to save $.

For Goodmans' cap hit, we can find alot of other options to play safety - at less $. Just one example is Chris Harris who's already played for Fox and would likely be 1.5 mil less.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit that we could axe both Goodie & Dawk and replace them with a better CB & suitable SS at a lower cost. Hell you could probably get two CB's & SS for less.

One concern, I believe, is that Champ has an extra 6 mil cap hit this year so that could lead to some penny pinching this year.

nevcraw
02-24-2012, 11:57 PM
stop the run and get good pressure and our starting CB's are fine.. as Fox said the nickel and dime packs need help when team spread them need the most help.. Harris had a lot of good moments and I expect him to be better this year.. a future starter needs to be drafted early.

jhildebrand
02-25-2012, 12:41 AM
Goodman just isnt physical enough. His tackling drives me nuts. Most of the team's "tackling" does. I want to see guys break people down in space and wrap the ball carrier up. Instead you get a shoulder launched and usually a missed tackle which Goodie is the worst offender.

You know where I want to see Goodman? :confused: On another roster :D

TheReverend
02-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Goodman just isnt physical enough. His tackling drives me nuts. Most of the team's "tackling" does. I want to see guys break people down in space and wrap the ball carrier up. Instead you get a shoulder launched and usually a missed tackle which Goodie is the worst offender.

You know where I want to see Goodman? :confused: On another roster :D

I've never seen a more hesitant hitter than Goodman.

Sadly, that includes Cromartie.

gregbroncs
02-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Agree with most here. You need to be able to tackle to play safety and it helps to be a ball hawk. That is what makes Champ a good prospect for safety in his later years. No way Goodman fits that bill. He's a terrible tackler. As a ball hawk Goody is not all that impressive either.

Chef Zambini
02-27-2012, 09:53 AM
id o not want to see goodman in a bronco uniform, period! no heart for tackling, no cover skills no buisness being on the field., maybe he can be a rb BECAUSE HE IS SO ELUSIVE AT AVOIDING CONTACT.
he should be a photographer because he is always around when somebody scores.

BroncoNut
02-27-2012, 10:53 AM
this thread is poorly titled. Especially with a very similarly titled thread out there. Please revise.