PDA

View Full Version : Yet another thread (with S.Sharpe)

Dirk
03-19-2009, 05:57 AM
I know, I know...another thread!

But, I couldn't get to the link at the bottom of the page to hear what else Shannon had to say because my company blocks that particular site.

If anyone listens to it....is there more than just what is in type on the link?

Thanks in advance!

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2009/03/18/shannon-sharpe-weighs-in-on-the-jay-cutler-saga/

WARHORSE
03-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Sharpe begins by explaining that he thinks coach McDaniels is making a huge mistake in wanting to get rid of Cutler, one of the few lone bright spots for the up and down Broncos last year:

“The more that I sit down and think about it - you had the second worse defense in the National Football League. You couldn’t turn the ball over; you couldn’t pressure the quarterback. And the new guy [McDaniels] comes in and the first thing he wants to get rid of is his Pro Bowl QB? I don’t want to trade for a Julius Peppers. I don’t want a Ray Lewis or a Bart Scott; I don’t want a defensive lineman. I want to trade my QB! That’s the problem.”

On the double standard in the NFL for players and front offices when it comes to making ‘business decision’:

“And why is it that when an organization wants to trade a player, it’s business; but when a player wants to request a trade, he’s being disgruntled, he’s a malcontent? See you can’t have it both ways.”

Does he think Cutler and the Broncos will work out there differences?

“If I’m Jay Cutler now, I think he has to leave.”

On how he dealt with a somewhat similar issue when he was with Denver earlier in his career:

“When Mike [Shanahan] tried to trade me in ‘95, after the ‘95 season. And when I called the organization they said it wasn’t true. And my agent and I found out later that it was true. I never trusted Mike again until I got back the second time around.”

WARHORSE
03-19-2009, 06:16 AM
No matter, what the hell would Shannon Sharpe know?

Dirk
03-19-2009, 06:17 AM
Ha! True, I was just wondering if SS said anything else in the radio interview link.

thanks War!

claymore
03-19-2009, 06:18 AM
I think things get worked out. No new news other than our Owner is senile is good news.

WARHORSE
03-19-2009, 07:18 AM
Sharpe: You cant have it both ways. Why is it business, when an organization wants to trade a player, but if a player says he wants to be traded to a winning organization, oh, hes being a malcontent.....he being disgruntled? You cant have it both ways.

If Im Culter now, I have to go. And I dont know Jay Cutler, and I dont know the headcoach. I look at it from this perspective: I got the worse defense, and my numbers granted, I coulda been better, I forced some throws.....but with that defense what I had......I never got no turnovers....I never played on a short field........and its kinda like, lets say youre the new guy at a news organization.......and from all youve heard, your graphics is horrible, and the first thing you do, is fire the anchor person.....you wanna get rid of the anchor person.......hooooo!

unintelligible.....you got a guy whos making 1 million...I think its 1.1 millon....and you wanna trade him, and bring in a guys whos making 14.7 million, and has one year??

HOOOO! I dont KNOW. I dont wanna speak for Mr. Bowlen. I dont think he really signed on for this. You got a pro bowl quarterback, you got him under contract.......If money is......you on the hook for 21 million with Mike Shanahan and his staff........you mean to tell me that you got that kinda money...that you can pay 14.7 million for an unproven quarterback??

If THATs the case......if Im Mike, Im mad....cause theres some defensive players out there that I coulda had for that kinda money........and I didnt get em!

HOST: Well you dont think that Josh McDummy is doing this without Mr. Bowlen signing off on it do ya?

Sharpe: ah ....unintelligible.....Now see, now see..Now you cookin with Crisco....first you wuz frying with PAM. You wuz low fat. You KNOW he hadda have that......cause if you even entertained, the process of trading a 25 yr old, pro bowl quarterback, you HAVE to have the blessing of the owner. You MUST. That is a MUST. Cause no matter what you think, Jay Cutler right now is the face of the franchise.

Be it good, bad or indifferent. Mike Shanahan is gone..and was the face. Mr. Bowlen was the owner, Shanahan was the face. Now, you have very few situations like Jerry Jones, where the owner is the face of the franchise.

Josh McDaniels he comes in.......with the WORST defense in football.... He doesnt have one guy, he can only trade ONE guy on that defense, thats Champ Bailey. And the first thing he wants to do is change his quarterback?? But thats business. But now Jay Cutlers says, ok, I want out........but hes being disgruntled........hes being a malcontent. I think you gotta trade him now. For the simple fact....

theres some bridges you cross.......theres some bridges you burn.....this one has been burned. They cant cross back over.

HOST: Ok Shannon, can you say, I wanna be traded, but still go to the meetings and go to the OTAs an........

SHARPE: NO! NO! NOOO! NOOOO! Just then the coach gonna get the impression that I like him, that he won. You DIDNT win..Cause I want OUT.

WARHORSE
03-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Link straight to listening:

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/audioplayer/?file=/dynamic/podcasts/scottAndAl/Shannon_Sharp3.mp3

I started to write it out, but its a long interview with Alfred WIlliams.

If you like listening to a veteran who knows the league and the ups and downs of being traded, you'll like this interview.

Highlights: He basically is calling McDaniels an idiot. Hes saying he does not understand what Bowlen is thinking at all. Between him and Alfred, not a single NFL player of all the players theyve touched on the Cutler situation , has said Cutler is wrong. Not one.

Said he was watching tape of Cutler playing with Dan Marino, when Marino said....."This kid can spin the ball" He said Marino doesnt say that about quarterbacks. But Marino said Cutler can fling the ball around.

A very, very entertaining interview........and only reenforces what I already know..............................Josh McDaniels is an IDIOT for doing this.

Dirk
03-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks for writing that out War!! I appreciate it.

I agree with SS on most if not everything he said.

It's funny you wrote "unintelligible" in a few spots. HAHA! That's SS for you. He always sounds like he has bitten off part of his tongue and can't speak well because of it.

But I love Sharpe! One of the best TEs of all time.

claymore
03-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Im worried we have an owner that cant tie his shoes and poops his pants.

Dirk
03-19-2009, 07:30 AM
Link straight to listening:

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/audioplayer/?file=/dynamic/podcasts/scottAndAl/Shannon_Sharp3.mp3

Yeah, my company is blocking that url. Thanks for what you put up though!

Northman
03-19-2009, 09:09 AM
http://www.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/chris-crocker.jpg

weazel
03-19-2009, 09:18 AM
“When Mike [Shanahan] tried to trade me in ‘95, after the ‘95 season. And when I called the organization they said it wasn’t true. And my agent and I found out later that it was true. I never trusted Mike again until I got back the second time around.”

hmm, didnt trust Mike, but then again, he didnt whine and moan like a bitch. I guess some players are men, some are children

NightTrainLayne
03-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Sharpe begins by explaining that he thinks coach McDaniels is making a huge mistake in wanting to get rid of Cutler, one of the few lone bright spots for the up and down Broncos last year:

“The more that I sit down and think about it - you had the second worse defense in the National Football League. You couldn’t turn the ball over; you couldn’t pressure the quarterback. And the new guy [McDaniels] comes in and the first thing he wants to get rid of is his Pro Bowl QB? I don’t want to trade for a Julius Peppers. I don’t want a Ray Lewis or a Bart Scott; I don’t want a defensive lineman. I want to trade my QB! That’s the problem.”

Yep, Cutler was one of our best players here last year. I enjoyed greatly watching him each week, and look forward to still watching him develop into a top-notch QB.

But saying that the first thing McDaniels wanted to do is trade Cutler is disingenuous at best and a flat-out lie at worst. McDaniels has made a ton of other changes and signed players. . .and these things actually happened. .. .contracts were signed. .. .transactions were made. .. .nothing really happened with Cutler. No trade was made.

On the double standard in the NFL for players and front offices when it comes to making ‘business decision’:

“And why is it that when an organization wants to trade a player, it’s business; but when a player wants to request a trade, he’s being disgruntled, he’s a malcontent? See you can’t have it both ways.”

Here's why it's not a doublle-standard. When an organization looks to trade a player with whom they have a contractual relationship they are looking for a way to improve the whole team. What McDaniels was faced with was analyzing an offer to receive a QB that he has worked with since drafting, someone who was pretty successful last year in their first chance at starting, plus some draft picks to pick up other pieces of the puzzle.

Now, after analyzing all that McDaniels didn't pull the trigger, so it's kind of moot, but the reality is that he was looking at a way to maybe improve other areas of the team (i.e. defense) quickly vs. the trade-off of a lesser QB at the helm.

Obviously, after the analysis was done the FO felt that we weren't getting enough in return to improve the other areas enough to make up for what we lost in the QB swap so we didn't do it.

When a PLAYER requests a trade it has nothing to do with making the team/oganization better. Instead, it's all about that players own self-interest. When a player requests a trade he is just thinking of himself, and does not concern himself with what the team/organization would get in return, but instead is selfishly looking out only for himself.

That's not a double-standard. Instead it's just the facts of life. Sometimes it sucks for individual players, but it's just the way life is sometimes.

Does he think Cutler and the Broncos will work out there differences?

“If I’m Jay Cutler now, I think he has to leave.”

On how he dealt with a somewhat similar issue when he was with Denver earlier in his career:

Hmmm. Shannon Sharpe couldn't trust Mike Shanahan again until he got back the second time around.

Funny. How come this wasn't blasted all over the news media then?

I love Shannon Sharpe, he's got to be one of my top three or four all-time Broncos players, but this is just patently ridiculous. Maybe he didn't trust Shanny again, but it sure as hell didn't affect his performance or the teams results did it?

I mean, if this example from Sharpe is supposedly a reason not to do business that way it's got to be the weakest argument ever. I mean, make a player such as Sharpe distrust you at the start of his career and then he puts up HOF numbers and two SB's with your team. .. .Heck, it looks like this is the way to go! How could Shanny have possibly been expected to get any more out of Sharpe? Obviously he couldn't.

I love Shannon, but he's got to be the absolute worst example conceivable to make the argument that he's trying to make.

Shazam!
03-19-2009, 09:40 AM
you mean to tell me that you got that kinda money...that you can pay 14.7 million for an unproven quarterback?

If Cassel is unproven, so is Jay Cutler. The way people treat Cassel like **** is laughable. I'm not saying he's all that and a bag of chips, but he had some major accomplishments in one season. Broncos fans better hope he sucks big time, or else he will give us more than headaches for the next 10 years, then some would say 'Gee, we coulda had this guy' if something happens with Cutler.

omac
03-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Great interview! Thanks for the audio links and excerpts, SWMoBroncosFan and WARHORSE! :salute:

Shannon makes a lot of great points. And the tone he uses throughout the commentary ... it's almost like he wants to say "McDaniels, you can't be this much of a moron, can you?!?!?!" :D

Both he, Al, and everyone Al's talked to believe Jay has every right to feel betrayed by McDaniels' dishonesty, and it's okay for him to ask for a trade, since he can no longer trust McDaniels.

Great line about when a team trades a player, it's just business, but when a player wants to be traded, he's a malcontent. :D

Sharpe is a high calibre player who really knows football, who we've wanted to get into the HOF. His assessment of Jay Cutler is that he's a special player, and the only reason he forces throws are because he doesn't have the defense to back him up. He believes, with a good defense, Jay will consistently throw 30 TDs a season. He made these comments when asked about Jay's 17-20 record, and his turnovers.

But what does he know? He's only one of the best tight ends to ever play the game. :D

CoachChaz
03-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Great interview! Thanks for the audio links and excerpts, SWMoBroncosFan and WARHORSE! :salute:

Shannon makes a lot of great points. And the tone he uses throughout the commentary ... it's almost like he wants to say "McDaniels, you can't be this much of a moron, can you?!?!?!" :D

Both he, Al, and everyone Al's talked to believe Jay has every right to feel betrayed by McDaniels' dishonesty, and it's okay for him to ask for a trade, since he can no longer trust McDaniels.

Great line about when a team trades a player, it's just business, but when a player wants to be traded, he's a malcontent. :D

Sharpe is a high calibre player who really knows football, who we've wanted to get into the HOF. His assessment of Jay Cutler is that he's a special player, and the only reason he forces throws are because he doesn't have the defense to back him up. He believes, with a good defense, Jay will consistently throw 30 TDs a season. He made these comments when asked about Jay's 17-20 record, and his turnovers.

But what does he know? He's only one of the best tight ends to ever play the game. :D

And this immediately qualifies him as a supreme source on any and all NFL talent?

Dirk
03-19-2009, 10:33 AM
And this immediately qualifies him as a supreme source on any and all NFL talent?

Chaz you crack me up. Always on the devil's advocate side of things. :laugh:

You must have taken a few critical thinking courses. :cool:

CoachChaz
03-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Chaz you crack me up. Always on the devil's advocate side of things. :laugh:

You must have taken a few critical thinking courses. :cool:

Just always looking for the middle ground. I am the definition of a fence sitter.

NightTrainLayne
03-19-2009, 10:39 AM

. .. and in virtually the same breath he says that Shanny did the exact same thing to him. . ."Shanny, you were such a moron weren't you?"

omac
03-19-2009, 10:54 AM
. .. and in virtually the same breath he says that Shanny did the exact same thing to him. . ."Shanny, you were such a moron weren't you?"

Well, Sharpe definitely didn't trust Shanahan, and after they tried to trade him again at 31 but was injured, he remembered it and stuck it to Shanahan when he played for the Ravens on the way to the Superbowl. No contesting that.

Al mentioned that on the 2nd time, Shanon was 31 and a TE, while Cutler is 25 and a probowl QB, and they both were cracking up. :D

Sharpe's comments on the probowl QB Cutler's $1.1M against the cap, versus the one-year Cassel's $14M was pretty good too. He said it means they could've gone after a big time defensive player if they were willing to spend. They only have one player on defense that they could trade, Champ, and for their 31st ranked defense, they could try to get big time players, but they instead try to trade their 25 year old probowl "face of the franchise" QB. :D

TXBRONC
03-19-2009, 12:24 PM

Nope. Shanahan did eventually get rid of Sharpe for two seasons however, he also brought him back and admited he made a mistake.

TXBRONC
03-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Well, Sharpe definitely didn't trust Shanahan, and after they tried to trade him again at 31 but was injured, he remembered it and stuck it to Shanahan when he played for the Ravens on the way to the Superbowl. No contesting that.

Al mentioned that on the 2nd time, Shanon was 31 and a TE, while Cutler is 25 and a probowl QB, and they both were cracking up. :D

Sharpe's comments on the probowl QB Cutler's $1.1M against the cap, versus the one-year Cassel's $14M was pretty good too. He said it means they could've gone after a big time defensive player if they were willing to spend. They only have one player on defense that they could trade, Champ, and for their 31st ranked defense, they could try to get big time players, but they instead try to trade their 25 year old probowl "face of the franchise" QB. :D

If I'm not mistaken Sharpe said he trusted Shanahan after he was brought back from the Ravens.

NightTrainLayne
03-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Nope. Shanahan did eventually get rid of Sharpe for two seasons however, he also brought him back and admited he made a mistake.

I'm sorry, but Sharpe is the one who made the comparison himself. He himself thinks that the situations are comparable.

If so, then I'm just saying how great that is. He put up HOF numbers and won two SB's with us even though HE says that he didn't trust the coach. Maybe that issue is getting blown out of proportion here in this situation.

TXBRONC
03-19-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm sorry, but Sharpe is the one who made the comparison himself. He himself thinks that the situations are comparable.

If so, then I'm just saying how great that is. He put up HOF numbers and won two SB's with us even though HE says that he didn't trust the coach. Maybe that issue is getting blown out of proportion here in this situation.

I know Sharpe is the one who made the compraison I'm also pretty sure that in the interview he trusted Shanahan the second time around. He also said he thinks Jay is going to get traded on draft day.

I hope this things is overblown right now it's not looking that way.

Northman
03-19-2009, 12:37 PM
There were other factors with Sharpe as well. If my memory serves me well Shannon was struggling with a ankle injury and he "seemed" to be declining as a player. Never the less, Shannon landed in a great situation in Bmore and got another ring because of it. But, he was no where close to landing one in Denver at that time.

CoachChaz
03-19-2009, 12:41 PM
It all comes down to misunderstanding amd misinterpretation. I think McD is trying to express something and not doing a great job of it and I think Jay is blowing it out of proportion. Niether is right...niether is wrong, but...niehter will ever be able to work together.

So...

Do we get rid of the enigmatic QB with HOF potential and bring in additional pieces to help the team?

or...

Do we get rid of the offensive guru that has proven his offense is good under ANY QB?

Good luck making that decision. I want no part of it

TXBRONC
03-19-2009, 12:45 PM
I don't agree that McDaniels has proven his offense will work with any quarterback. Brady was already in that offense before McDaniels was even the offensive coordinator. Matt Cassel got sit for four years and watch.

turftoad
03-19-2009, 12:48 PM
It all comes down to misunderstanding amd misinterpretation. I think McD is trying to express something and not doing a great job of it and I think Jay is blowing it out of proportion. Niether is right...niether is wrong, but...niehter will ever be able to work together.

So...

Do we get rid of the enigmatic QB with HOF potential and bring in additional pieces to help the team?

or...

Do we get rid of the offensive guru that has proven his offense is good under ANY QB?

Good luck making that decision. I want no part of it

ANY QB??

Coach, he's only had two, Brady and Cassel. Cassel was no Brady.

I would love to see what McD and Cutler could do together. Sure, it might take Jay a year to grasp McD's "O" 100% but we're not winning the SB next year anyway.

BTW, we aready got rid two great offensive guru's. Shanny and Bates. Cutler did pretty well under them. What makes Josh think he won't do well under him?

TXBRONC
03-19-2009, 12:51 PM
ANY QB??

Coach, he's only had two, Brady and Cassel. Cassel was no Brady.

I would love to see what McD and Cutler could do together.

BTW, we aready got rid two great offensive guru's. Shanny and Bates. Cutler did pretty well under them. What makes Josh think he won't do well under him?

They ran the ball more and threw it deep less with Cassel under center.

CoachChaz
03-19-2009, 12:53 PM
First...I never said Cutler wouldnt do well under McD and I dont think McD has said that anywhere either.

Second, regardless of what Brady and Cassell have become or done, they both have played well in that system and both were LOW round draft choices. You know...the LAST place you look for a franchise QB.

So it is proven that a QB with limited skill can excel in the right system. The particular system McD runs does not require a QB to have loads of physical gifts.

CoachChaz
03-19-2009, 12:54 PM
They ran the ball more and threw it deep less with Cassel under center.

They adjusted the the offense based on that and won 11 games. I fail to see the problem

turftoad
03-19-2009, 12:58 PM
First...I never said Cutler wouldnt do well under McD and I dont think McD has said that anywhere either.

Second, regardless of what Brady and Cassell have become or done, they both have played well in that system and both were LOW round draft choices. You know...the LAST place you look for a franchise QB.

So it is proven that a QB with limited skill can excel in the right system. The particular system McD runs does not require a QB to have loads of physical gifts.

Agreed!! Just think what a FRANCHISE (FIRST ROUND) QB could do in that system. :D

Also..................... I think this is part of the whole problem. I think that McD's ego is so great that he thinks he can do this with ANY QB. I fail to believe that he can.

TXBRONC
03-19-2009, 12:59 PM
They adjusted the the offense based on that and won 11 games. I fail to see the problem

I'm sorry don't see the problem, of the 11 wins only two of them came against teams equal to his own or better.

Gamechanger
03-19-2009, 01:01 PM
If Cassel is unproven, so is Jay Cutler. The way people treat Cassel like **** is laughable. I'm not saying he's all that and a bag of chips, but he had some major accomplishments in one season. Broncos fans better hope he sucks big time, or else he will give us more than headaches for the next 10 years, then some would say 'Gee, we coulda had this guy' if something happens with Cutler.

trust me, Cassel is going to fall flat on his face

people are putting these two QBs on too high of pinnacles

CoachChaz
03-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Agreed!! Just think what a FRANCHISE (FIRST ROUND) QB could do in that system. :D

Also..................... I think this is part of the whole problem. I think that McD's ego is so great that he thinks he can do this with ANY QB. I fail to believe that he can.

I dont disagree, but if having a 6th round QB and a great team surrounding him will get us 3 SB's in 4 years...sign me up.

Yes, a "franchise QB" should do better, but at what cost?

And why do you not believe he can do it? What has proven otherwise?

Requiem / The Dagda
03-19-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm sorry don't see the problem, of the 11 wins only two of them came against teams equal to his own or better.

A win is a win is a win.

Didn't Cal Ripken, Jr. say that? If you get it done you get it done.

turftoad
03-19-2009, 01:14 PM
A win is a win is a win.

Didn't Cal Ripken, Jr. say that? If you get it done you get it done.

Yep, it sure is. That said, neither Cal or Cassel won (or lost) a game all by themselves.

CoachChaz
03-19-2009, 01:16 PM

If I give you the choice of Denver playing 16 creampuffs and winning all 16 or playing 16 hard teams and winning 8, which would you choose and would you really use it as an excuse?

turftoad
03-19-2009, 01:17 PM
I dont disagree, but if having a 6th round QB and a great team surrounding him will get us 3 SB's in 4 years...sign me up.

Yes, a "franchise QB" should do better, but at what cost?

And why do you not believe he can do it? What has proven otherwise?

He's done it with one QB. Brady was already good when Josh took over as OC. So............ He's done it with one guy with a great team around him.

Oh, BTW Coach, if we lose Cutler, I hope you're right. I'm a Bronco fan first and foremost.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Yep, it sure is. That said, neither Cal or Cassel won (or lost) a game all by themselves.

Turf my man, you don't need to tell me this. I already know. The rules to football my friend, I wrote 'em. Speaking of the Turf, I had half-priced appetizers last night. 8 buffalo wings and a basket of popcorn chicken was only 6 bucks instead of 12. What a deal. Go Bison. /resume the topic of thread

CoachChaz
03-19-2009, 01:24 PM
He's done it with one QB. Brady was already good when Josh took over as OC. So............ He's done it with one guy with a great team around him.

Fine...What has been Brady's best season? Maybe 2 seasons ago when McD was the OC?

Prior to that he was nothing more than the QB coach. A position that apparently doesnt matter...unless of course King Cutler states he doesnt want to lose his.