PDA

View Full Version : Mike and Joel talk with John Elway

Denver Native (Carol)
02-24-2012, 02:43 PM
This morning - very interesting things John said, especially about TT, and John's idea of what he wants in a QB.

Only problem - John does not come on until around 13:30 mark.

http://www.1043thefan.com/podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=2370

Denver Native (Carol)
02-24-2012, 02:45 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- Denver Broncos football leader John Elway addressed the media on Friday. Let’s look at some of the highlights:

Elway said he hasn’t figured out what style of quarterback the team will bring in to compete with/back up Tim Tebow.

“We have to kind of let it happen,” Elway said. “I don’t know that we’re looking for one like Tim or your ordinary drop-back [passer], or somewhere in between. I think until we find out the interest out there, it’s going to be hard to fill those spots. I think when I look at Tim and I look at our offense, we can do it with either one. Whether it be a guy like Tim, or if it’s more of a drop-back-type guy, we feel like either one is going to be able to fit.”

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/40219/talking-with-john-elway-2

rjent
02-24-2012, 03:01 PM
This morning - very interesting things John said, especially about TT, and John's idea of what he wants in a QB.

Only problem - John does not come on until around 13:30 mark.

http://www.1043thefan.com/podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=2370

Just click just past half way on the bar, and you can get there pretty quick ... :D

NightTerror218
02-24-2012, 03:22 PM
interesting the most important QB aspect is heart, guts and be competitor. You can improve physical talent but not those.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-24-2012, 03:26 PM
interesting the most important QB aspect is heart, guts and be competitor. You can improve physical talent but not those.

That comment by John was, to me, the most interesting.

NightTerror218
02-24-2012, 03:43 PM
That comment by John was, to me, the most interesting.

same here. I took it as, as long as you have the intangibles you can be taught the mechanics (to some extent).

The Glue Factory
02-26-2012, 09:41 AM
same here. I took it as, as long as you have the intangibles you can be taught the mechanics (to some extent).

That's true of just about any job. Skills can be taught. Attitude can't. Most employers look for a good attitude first and then which candidates need the least amount of training.

Lancane
02-26-2012, 11:13 AM
That's true of just about any job. Skills can be taught. Attitude can't. Most employers look for a good attitude first and then which candidates need the least amount of training.

On this I have to disagree with Elway...I respect him as a quarterback, as a businessman. But there is a difference between coaching and managing athletes of any sport, and he's not a coach, that's an aspect he hasn't shown at this level. If what he said was true, there would be far fewer busts at the pro-level, because you could look for the athleticism, heart, drive and take that kid therein molding him into a far better player, and that is rare. Learning the mechanics is not an easy thing, Indeed I believe it's the hardest because it can also whittle down an athlete in the same sense, it's not simply learning to lay bricks, pave roads and so forth, I'm sure we've all worked with great people who just couldn't get down the aspects of their job, it's far harder for an athlete because of the skills involved (very big difference) at least in my opinion.

broncobryce
02-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Yeah, what does this Elway guy know about being a QB?

Chef Zambini
02-26-2012, 12:41 PM
its easy for elway to discount the value of talent because he was dripping with it.
attitude and aptitude. a top QB needs alot of BOTH !

Lancane
02-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Yeah, what does this Elway guy know about being a QB?

It's not what you know or what you do not know, there is a huge difference between playing the sport and coaching the sport. If you look at a lot of coaches now days, there is a good number that didn't play the sport, they focused on the coaching aspect, and likewise we've seen players turned coach that can not coach, even failed players that are simply better at coaching. That's not a slight on Elway, he's been in his position for one year, but he has never coached and as Zambini said, it's easy to discount certain things when you naturally had that, because those with talent or certain gifts do indeed take it for granted.

Northman
02-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Elway thinks that Cutler is a very good QB too. What did everyone expect him to say in public? Tim sucks? Lmao

MOtorboat
02-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Elway thinks that Cutler is a very good QB too. What did everyone expect him to say in public? Tim sucks? Lmao

That would have been hilarious.

nevcraw
02-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Elway has been around the game his whole life. his father was a coach and top talent evaluator. he knows whats what. It's not rocket science -- you have to have it locked in the head and the heart first. all the god given talent in the world can't help you if those pieces are missing or broken.

Lancane
02-27-2012, 03:10 AM
Elway has been around the game his whole life. his father was a coach and top talent evaluator. he knows whats what. It's not rocket science -- you have to have it locked in the head and the heart first. all the god given talent in the world can't help you if those pieces are missing or broken.

And the same goes for McDaniels and Shanahan. He even admitted he doesn't know what's what, now your going to tell me he does because it supports your argument? "I have a lot to learn about evaluating talent and all that entails", "I believe I am a better evaluator of defensive players because I had to learn about defenders and defenses week in and week out and then go out and face them on Sundays", "I'm relying on Brian, John and others in the process since I am new to this and learning as we go along", should I go on?

There is a difference between coaching, playing and evaluating talent, I've seen great coaches who can't evaluate talent and the same for players, and I've seen great players that can not coach worth a damn. There are some that can do all three aspects well, but they are few and far between in this day and age. Belichick and the Harbaughs are the only ones whom I can say have at least two aspects down at the pro level, the Harbaughs we're not great football players, far better coaches and talent evaluators if you ask me. And Belichick was born to coach, but he understands talent like few can and how to better players within his philosophy. It's not rocket science, that is true...but it is not easy, and those who believe it is are insulting those who do it have done so as a career.