PDA

View Full Version : RBs

NightTerror218
02-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Just curious of what people think of our RB situation and what they think we should do. Right now we have under contract McGahee, Moreno, Ball, Johnson and Fannin. Larson at FB.

McGahee enough said, but less carries will make him last longer. He is by far our #1. Moreno is a 3rd down back and IMO the best we have at catching check downs. He is horrible up the middle but good in space. Ball is a decent at best backup. I am not hugely impresses with him, he did make some plays but so has Moreno. He does not have great hands. Johnson is serviceable but IMO not as good as Moreno in check downs or running the ball as Ball. I really wanted to see what Fannin could do was really disappointed to see him injured in preseason. Draft a FB or acquire a good one in FA.

I think our offense alone could draw attention from other RBs hitting FA. But I think Fox will draft one. Move Ball/Fannin to PS and cut Johnson.

I would love to get Doug Martin and have McGahee #1, Martin #2, and have Fannin/Moreno #3. Let them fight for the position. If Moreno can not beat out Fannin then trade him early on before stock drops more or cut him to free up cap space and roster spot.

Ziggy
02-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Great choice on Doug Martin. He's my favorite coming out of the draft. The Broncos will probably bring in 2 more backs. I'm guessing one through the draft and one in free agency.

NightTerror218
02-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Great choice on Doug Martin. He's my favorite coming out of the draft. The Broncos will probably bring in 2 more backs. I'm guessing one through the draft and one in free agency.

The only reason i think of 1 in draft is because they will keep Moreno for final season of his contract and see what Fannin can do. he was the top UDFA RB after the draft. I would like to see a good FB added in FA.

Jsteve01
02-24-2012, 04:15 PM
I'd be happier with Martin. I don't see any second contract FAs that are super appealing other than Bush and he's going to command dollars. At this point I'd prefer a game changer like Martin in the first and take the bpa at DT/corner in the second.

Ziggy
02-24-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm hoping that Doug Martin runs about a 4.55 40 at the combine and drops to us in the 2nd. He has great speed on film. I think he's just one of those rare guys that runs the same speed in pads as he does in shorts.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Our RB situation is a hot mess. McGahee is hurt a lot and fumbles weekly. We have nothing noteable otherwise.

gregbroncs
02-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Ball was terrible. I would rather keep Johnson than Ball. Johnson brings 3rd down ability when Moreno gets hurt again. We really need a backup for Mcgahee. We suffered a lot when he was tired or hurt. As far as I can tell Ball is below average at every single skill associated with a RB. He has little speed or power and does not catch the ball well.

I am hoping we draft at some point a future replacement for Mcgahee and a guy that can back him up in the meantime and run some 3rd down plays if neccessary.

dogfish
02-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Our RB situation is a hot mess. McGahee is hurt a lot and fumbles weekly. We have nothing noteable otherwise.

ditch moreno, sign benjarvus green-ellis, add a draft pick to compete with ball/JJ. . . or, draft doug martin to be our bellcow. . . it's fixable-- i just hope they take it seriously. . . given the way they built their stable of backs in carolina, i suspect they probably will. . .

iLands
02-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Doug Martin is currently tied for the lead at his position for most bench reps at the combine.

Lancane
02-26-2012, 04:26 AM
Denver should consider cutting ties with Moreno, but Lance Ball is likely to be re-signed since Denver holds his rights, at least for camp.

Originally I thought Denver should focus on signing Michael Bush, I'm of the opinion now that they should sign a second-tier running back. This draft has a pretty solid class that will run deep. This is seriously a better offensive draft considering the needs of the team compared to those of the needs of our defense. If you ask me, Denver should fill as many needs defensively in free agency for the season and focus on offensive needs come the draft, other then second-tier and camp fodder.

bcbronc
02-26-2012, 05:05 AM
I feel we need to add a back to the stable that pushes McGahee into the #2 slot. Willie just isn't durable, and we only got as many touches from him this season because he could still play with the bone he broke. Can't expect the same kind of production from him next season.

The most likely place to get that upgrade is through the draft. Martin is a popular choice, and if we could trade back and get him later in the first, early in the second, I'd be all for it. Whether Martin or someone else taken in the 2-4 rounds, we need to find someone that can give us some production as a rookie.

I think we'll keep Moreno around unless we can get at least a mid round pick for him. Don't think there's any chance he gets cut, short of a significant injury in TC. He is a good third down back, but it looks like his touches will need to be managed. If we're lucky, Fannin can be a second pounding option for when McGahee misses time and JJ can be kept around as a 3rd down option for when Moreno misses time.

Add a RB in this year's draft (and UDFA), get through next season with the guys currently on our roster (plus a draft pick and probably at least one UDFA), and address the position again next offseason if significant upgrades are needed.

Just say no to getting into bidding wars for FA RBs.

iLands
02-26-2012, 05:39 AM
Robert Turbin will be available in the fourth and will more than fill our needs at RB.

Shananahan
02-26-2012, 07:24 AM
I don't see any second contract FAs that are super appealing other than Bush and he's going to command dollars.
Bush would be worth it, though. I think he's a number one back with low miles and youth, something you don't see often hitting FA. Add in the fact that large contracts for free agent RBs have diminished outside of the true, franchise types and I think he'd be worth it and then some. He catches well, blocks well, and despite a lack of top-end speed he gets to the second level and is a load to bring down. Get him for five years or something like it, and you've got Michael Turner 2.0. Fox could run him into the ground, and McGahee could stay fresh. Martin and Turbin would be awesome to draft as well, since Willis isn't going to be around much longer.

Canmore
02-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Bush would be worth it, though. I think he's a number one back with low miles and youth, something you don't see often hitting FA. Add in the fact that large contracts for free agent RBs have diminished outside of the true, franchise types and I think he'd be worth it and then some. He catches well, blocks well, and despite a lack of top-end speed he gets to the second level and is a load to bring down. Get him for five years or something like it, and you've got Michael Turner 2.0. Fox could run him into the ground, and McGahee could stay fresh. Martin and Turbin would be awesome to draft as well, since Willis isn't going to be around much longer.

I liked Michael Bush last year and this past season did nothing to change my mind. I think he would be an awesome addition to our stable. Bush, McGahee and a third down back, someone to replace Moreno. Shan, you hit all of the highlights. He won't come cheap, but I don't think his price would be out of our league.

Shananahan
02-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of signing free agent runningbacks and thought Williams was a horrible idea last year, but I feel good about Bush. If he were on any other team he'd be franchised and probably overpaid to be kept, but it's one of those situations where he's getting away (Michael Turner). I wouldn't mind the team giving him what he's worth.

Canmore
02-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of signing free agent runningbacks and thought Williams was a horrible idea last year, but I feel good about Bush. If he were on any other team he'd be franchised and probably overpaid to be kept, but it's one of those situations where he's getting away (Michael Turner). I wouldn't mind the team giving him what he's worth.

Me either. I think he would be a great fit. I was interested in him last year as a restricted free agent but nobody wants to part with draft picks in that kind of situation. Well he is free now and it looks like he is tired of backing up Darren McFadden. Even though McFadden is hurt all the time. I too see Turner 2.0. Would love to see him teamed up with McGahee.

TXBRONC
02-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Our running back situation is we need improvement. It's not that it was bad but an upgrade is necessary. Less carries might help him last longer but not necessarily. He will be 31 years old by the start of next season age is age when it comes to running backs. I think there is still something left in his tank but can we get another 250 carries out of him? I don't know because he did miss one full game and the majority of two others with injury.

TXBRONC
02-26-2012, 09:37 AM
ditch moreno, sign benjarvus green-ellis, add a draft pick to compete with ball/JJ. . . or, draft doug martin to be our bellcow. . . it's fixable-- i just hope they take it seriously. . . given the way they built their stable of backs in carolina, i suspect they probably will. . .

What about M. Bush from the Raiders? A big back with little mileage and still fairly young. The only draw back is that he might cost more than Green-Ellis.

Shananahan
02-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Of course he'll cost more than BJGE, he's a better player. I'd rather sign Bush at twice the price than give BJGE an above-average contract. I like him as a player, he doesn't fumble, runs hard at the goal line and is fundamentally sound, but if you're going to pay money you might as well get somebody worth it. If we don't sign Bush, I hope we go cheap in FA at RB, like last year, and rely on the draft to load up on talent there.

Slick
02-26-2012, 10:14 AM

Stephen Davis and Deshaun Foster. Then Williams and Stewart. You can bank on it.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

bcbronc
02-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Of course he'll cost more than BJGE, he's a better player. I'd rather sign Bush at twice the price than give BJGE an above-average contract. I like him as a player, he doesn't fumble, runs hard at the goal line and is fundamentally sound, but if you're going to pay money you might as well get somebody worth it. If we don't sign Bush, I hope we go cheap in FA at RB, like last year, and rely on the draft to load up on talent there.

Bush would be a good fit, but all depends on what it cost to get him. We have plenty of cap space, so I don't see him getting a deal that we couldn't afford. Unless he wants a big cash signing bonus, which imo is likely. If the upfront cash would restrict us from improving in other areas, then I'd pass (I'm assuming we have finite resources in this department). I'm generally against going after top dollar UFA RBs simply because RBs (especially power backs) have such short careers, but Bush does have less wear and tear on him than some at this point in his career. As long as he isn't paid like a top 10 RB, I'd be all for adding Bush.

Bringing in a pure power back like MB allows EFX to add a pure speed back like Lemichael James at the end of the 2nd or maybe 3rd.

Bush-MacGahee-Moreno-LMJ would definitely be an upgraded backfield.

iLands
02-26-2012, 06:13 PM
At this point, I will honestly be surprised if we don't land Turbin.

TheReverend
02-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Mid round scat back.

We'll do more for our running game by addressing our interior OL in FA or the draft.

Bronco Bible
02-27-2012, 09:41 AM
I would have liked to see J.J. in the game more & find out if he is worth keeping

NightTerror218
02-27-2012, 12:37 PM
I would have liked to see J.J. in the game more & find out if he is worth keeping

I was not really impressed he was used as mostly 3rd down back but I did not see any amazing runs by him when he was in when McGahee was injured. That was his chance and he did not impress. I think Fanin will easily take JJ spot next season. Fanin could take Balls spot too.

SOCALORADO.
02-27-2012, 12:42 PM
http://www.thewizofodds.com/.a/6a00e553e551d188340148c6fe84cb970c-500wi

There. RB issues solved.

BroncoNut
02-27-2012, 12:46 PM
we don't need a running back. what we need is a damn football team.

catfish
02-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Mid round scat back.

We'll do more for our running game by addressing our interior OL in FA or the draft.

if you can get Rainey in the late fourth he would be a steal IMO, wouldn't be able to spell McGahee, but as a 3rd down back he is tough to beat, split time between RB and WR at UF

LTC Pain
02-28-2012, 05:34 PM
we don't need a running back. what we need is a damn football team.

Okay, you're assigned to go find one. Get back to us when you do and not before.

catfish
02-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Okay, you're assigned to go find one. Get back to us when you do and not before.

I wonder how much Alabama would cost? ;)

dogfish
02-28-2012, 05:45 PM

we'll expect your work on our desk by 5PM. . . eastern. . .

Jsteve01
02-28-2012, 07:52 PM
I was not really impressed he was used as mostly 3rd down back but I did not see any amazing runs by him when he was in when McGahee was injured. That was his chance and he did not impress. I think Fanin will easily take JJ spot next season. Fanin could take Balls spot too.

their resumes say different JJ didn't get consistent carries while McGahee was hurt. Johnson was good enough to split carries with Jonathan Stewart at Oregon. His problem has always been health.

Fanin on the other hand is a pipe dream . There is a reason the kid lost his starting job at Auburn and went undrafted. You figure hes 230 something and runs in the 4.4s and doesn't get drafted? He's got some horrible tape. and his vision is just subpar. If you're putting your hopes on fanin I hate to say it but unless a miracle happens they are misplaced.

NightTerror218
03-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Well Fanin was the considered by many the top undrafted RB and JJ was not. That was college this is the NFL. I still think Fanin will knock off JJ.

BORDERLINE
03-01-2012, 09:28 PM
well WE have to bring in a running back to compete for the starting job. OK OK i'm joking here's my take.

Willis performance last year made me EAT a whole mess of CROW. I thought this dude was finished and was just gonna collect some cash before his career ended. BOY was I wrong. Plenty of GAS in the tank but the Car does have some miles. A healthy Moreno will be just fine as the back-up.

I believe we have to add a speed back into the mix. A Darren Sproles, Jaquizz Rodgers type of runner. Basically flat out speed. This team does not have that. If we acquire that kind of player our offense becomes instantly explosive. Imagine a defense having to defend either a pounding rusher in Willis. Or a mobile QB like Tebow mix that with the speed of a BURNER RB!!! that would be real cool to watch.

A solid pass catching TE wouldn't hurt either.

DenBronx
03-02-2012, 04:46 AM
Denver should consider cutting ties with Moreno, but Lance Ball is likely to be re-signed since Denver holds his rights, at least for camp.

Originally I thought Denver should focus on signing Michael Bush, I'm of the opinion now that they should sign a second-tier running back. This draft has a pretty solid class that will run deep. This is seriously a better offensive draft considering the needs of the team compared to those of the needs of our defense. If you ask me, Denver should fill as many needs defensively in free agency for the season and focus on offensive needs come the draft, other then second-tier and camp fodder.

Why resign Ball? Moreno is still under contract.....so then sign Bush or Benson. Ball just needs to go.

WARHORSE
03-04-2012, 12:20 AM
http://www.thewizofodds.com/.a/6a00e553e551d188340148c6fe84cb970c-500wi

There. RB issues solved.

At first I was a David Wilson fan....but then I realized theres no tape of tough between the tackle runs that I see.

I finally got a chance to look at everything I could find on this gem Doug Martin, and Im on board all the way with Socal.

Though not huge, he has the best vision of every back I saw including Trent Richardson. He is elusive in the hole and sees the whole field. He can run with power. He has speed. He has hands. He can block.

This is against a good Georgia team that has a good defense. Even when theres penetration in the backfield, he makes people miss and gets positive yardage. He threatens the gaps on wide runs to get the backers to commit, then runs around them.

This is the guy I would draft. nB0CUgzUtJg&feature=related

n4yCMXMK-bY&feature=related

dogfish
03-04-2012, 01:30 AM
I finally got a chance to look at everything I could find on this gem Doug Martin, and Im on board all the way with Socal.

and most of the rest of us, as far as i can tell. . .

:welcome:

i thought he might be a guy that climbed the charts and possibly fit into the back of the first round, but so far i'm not seeing him projected there. . .

if we could get him at the end of the second like the jags did with MJD, he could ultimately prove to be a similar value. . . the late first through the mid-second has been the sweet spot for backs recently, with guys going there like chris johnson, steven jackson a while back, ray rice, jamaal charles, matt forte. . . and maybe shady mccoy, IIRC. . .

unfortunately, the second also looks like our sweet spot to take a corner. . .

if we don't take a DT, i'm starting to kinda wish we'd trade back if possible. . . doug martin, kevin zeitler, jayron hosley, maybe minnifield, mike martin-- if we aren't getting cox or still at #25, i'd be just as happy if not happier with any of those guys and an extra pick. . .

WARHORSE
03-04-2012, 05:41 PM
and most of the rest of us, as far as i can tell. . .

:welcome:

i thought he might be a guy that climbed the charts and possibly fit into the back of the first round, but so far i'm not seeing him projected there. . .

if we could get him at the end of the second like the jags did with MJD, he could ultimately prove to be a similar value. . . the late first through the mid-second has been the sweet spot for backs recently, with guys going there like chris johnson, steven jackson a while back, ray rice, jamaal charles, matt forte. . . and maybe shady mccoy, IIRC. . .

unfortunately, the second also looks like our sweet spot to take a corner. . .

if we don't take a DT, i'm starting to kinda wish we'd trade back if possible. . . doug martin, kevin zeitler, jayron hosley, maybe minnifield, mike martin-- if we aren't getting cox or still at #25, i'd be just as happy if not happier with any of those guys and an extra pick. . .

I wouldnt mind him in the second, and I think his size is what some will look at. But he was the strongest back I believe so that tells you the man works seriously.

I would be very happy if we called his name in round two.

BroncoNut
03-04-2012, 06:10 PM
At first I was a David Wilson fan....but then I realized theres no tape of tough between the tackle runs that I see.

Though not huge, he has the best vision of every back I saw including Trent Richardson. He is elusive in the hole and sees the whole field. He can run with power. He has speed. He has hands. He can block.

This is against a good Georgia team that has a good defense. Even when theres penetration in the backfield, he makes people miss and gets positive yardage. He threatens the gaps on wide runs to get the backers to commit, then runs around them.
This is the guy I would draft. nB0CUgzUtJg&feature=related

n4yCMXMK-bY&feature=related

while I'm not sold on these plays alone, I do like what I see with the young man I agree, he seems to be versatile and has good vision with the athletic ability to get the most out of plays. the only thing he doesnt' seem to demonstrate here is the ability tomove the pile. but hey, can't have absolutely everything in one back. I do believe that.