PDA

View Full Version : Mlb 2012

Pages : [1] 2

CoachChaz
02-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Time to get this thread started. Tis the season!!!

slim
02-22-2012, 03:09 PM
I love spring training....need to take the old man to a few games this year (didn't see any last year).

Thnikkaman
02-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Lets do this. I can't wait to see Nicasio make his first start this year.

MOtorboat
02-22-2012, 03:29 PM
I love spring training....need to take the old man to a few games this year (didn't see any last year).

How do you live there and not go to a game?

Seriously?

slim
02-22-2012, 03:34 PM
How do you live there and not go to a game?

Seriously?

Tax season, MO.

This year things are going pretty smoothly (like we may actually finish early, knock on wood)....so there is a chance I can maybe make a few games.

Did I ever tell you about the time we were sitting behind home plate in Peroia (when Griffey was playing for the Mariners)? He hit a shot that was unbelievable....I swear it went 500 feet. My jaw literally dropped as I was watching it.

CoachChaz
02-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Tax season, MO.

This year things are going pretty smoothly (like we may actually finish early, knock on wood)....so there is a chance I can maybe make a few games.

Did I ever tell you about the time we were sitting behind home plate in Peroia (when Griffey was playing for the Mariners)? He hit a shot that was unbelievable....I swear it went 500 feet. My jaw literally dropped as I was watching it.

Saw him hit one at Camden Yards that hit the warehouse beyond right field.

Also won $100 betting he would hit a grand slam in Texas. That was luck

CoachChaz
02-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Lets do this. I can't wait to see Nicasio make his first start this year.

Heard he was doing pretty well and is at camp and throwing

Thnikkaman
02-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Heard he was doing pretty well and is at camp and throwing

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-bulletin/2012/2613000.html

On Feb. 15, Nicasio faced players from the Marlins organization and not just DSL players. He was scheduled to pitch two innings, but because they were easy and he hadn't worked from a stretch, Nicasio pitched a third inning. He allowed two hits and one unearned run with no walks and four strikeouts in a 45-pitch outing that included 33 strikes.

In this second outing, Nicasio was 92-97 mph with his fastball and averaged 94 mph. He was 85-87 mph with his slider and averaged 86 mph, and averaged 84 mph with his changeup that ranged from 83-86 mph.

I'm pumped that he hasn't shown any issues pitching on a mound to batters after what he experienced. He may only ever be a 2 or 3 rotation guy, but to me, I will always be a fan of him as a human being. Chuck Norris is afraid of Juan Nicasio.

OrangeHoof
02-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Middle Linebacker 2012? We could go for one.

But seriously, I'm interested to see how bad the NL Central can get with no Pujols, no Fielder and no Braun (possibly for awhile). The division could have two 100-loss teams.

Thnikkaman
02-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Middle Linebacker 2012? We could go for one.

But seriously, I'm interested to see how bad the NL Central can get with no Pujols, no Fielder and no Braun (possibly for awhile). The division could have two 100-loss teams.

The NL Central does have McCutchen. He is always fun to watch play. I could see that divison being a close race between the Reds, Pirates, and the Cards. The Brewer's defense is just a joke, and they had the BABIP dragon on their side last year. The Astros are just horrible, but it will be kind of sad not having them in the NL anymore after this year. And the Cubs are the Cubs.

MOtorboat
02-22-2012, 08:27 PM
The NL Central does have McCutchen. He is always fun to watch play. I could see that divison being a close race between the Reds, Pirates, and the Cards. The Brewer's defense is just a joke, and they had the BABIP dragon on their side last year. The Astros are just horrible, but it will be kind of sad not having them in the NL anymore after this year. And the Cubs are the Cubs.

The Reds should win that division going away. The rest of the division is not good.

The Brewers are OK, but without Fielder and without Braun for 50 games they will have a rough go.

slim
02-22-2012, 08:39 PM
The Reds should win that division going away. The rest of the division is not good.

The Brewers are OK, but without Fielder and without Braun for 50 games they will have a rough go.

No way. The game is still about pitching and STL still has the best rotation in that division. I also like the Brewers rotation more than Cincy.

MOtorboat
02-22-2012, 08:58 PM
No way. The game is still about pitching and STL still has the best rotation in that division. I also like the Brewers rotation more than Cincy.

The Reds have a legit MVP candidate in Votto, surrounded by young studs in Bruce and Stubbs and supplemented by Brandon Philips, possibly the best second baseman in the game, and Scott Rolen at third.

On top of that, Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey, Chapman and Leake.

That's one hell of a team there.

It's hard to tell if an aging Carpenter and Wainwright coming off of his injury will really be enough todrive a team that might struggle hitting. Lohse and Garcia are also aging. I'll take the youth of the Reds every day.

slim
02-22-2012, 10:46 PM
The Reds have a legit MVP candidate in Votto, surrounded by young studs in Bruce and Stubbs and supplemented by Brandon Philips, possibly the best second baseman in the game, and Scott Rolen at third.

On top of that, Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey, Chapman and Leake.
That's one hell of a team there.

It's hard to tell if an aging Carpenter and Wainwright coming off of his injury will really be enough todrive a team that might struggle hitting. Lohse and Garcia are also aging. I'll take the youth of the Reds every day.

I highlighted the problem. Chapman is a bit of a wild card. If he can put it together as a starter, that would certainly help Cincy. But he is a huge question mark right now.

Although I admit that Carpenter and Wainwright are both questionmarks, at least to some degree.

MOtorboat
02-22-2012, 11:02 PM
I highlighted the problem. Chapman is a bit of a wild card. If he can put it together as a starter, that would certainly help Cincy. But he is a huge question mark right now.

Although I admit that Carpenter and Wainwright are both questionmarks, at least to some degree.

The problem? Really. That's a solid, talented staff.

Bailey, Latos and Cueto are three of the most well regarded prospects in the game.

Chapman is also well regarded, and Arroyo is a good innings eater.

I would say the Reds' rotation is clearly superior to St. Louis' at this point.

slim
02-22-2012, 11:22 PM
The problem? Really. That's a solid, talented staff.

Bailey, Latos and Cueto are three of the most well regarded prospects in the game.

Chapman is also well regarded, and Arroyo is a good innings eater.

I would say the Reds' rotation is clearly superior to St. Louis' at this point.

Wow, that's not the way I see it at all. Cueto is the only one worth mentioning, IMO....maybe Latos, but he is still too young to have a good gage on. Same for Chapman (I know the hype, but I need more than hype).

Bailey is just a guy, IMO...nothing special.

I guess I just prefer to have more experience or at least some semblance of a proven track record in the rotation.

How do you feel about the Rockies rotation?

MOtorboat
02-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Wow, that's not the way I see it at all. Cueto is the only one worth mentioning, IMO....maybe Latos, but he is still too young to have a good gage on. Same for Chapman (I know the hype, but I need more than hype).

Bailey is just a guy, IMO...nothing special.

I guess I just prefer to have more experience or at least some semblance of a proven track record in the rotation.

How do you feel about the Rockies rotation?

Cueto and Latos are stud, ace type talents. Better than Carpenter now, and most likely better than Wainwright coming off the injury.

Leake and Arroyo are innings eaters and younger than Garcia and Lohse. Chapman is a stud who will do well in the lineup.

The Rockies rotation has some real question marks. Can De La Rosa come back and be effective. Is Nocasio really a stud? Is Chacin the innings eater you need at No. 3? Are Pomeranz, White and Chatman legitimate rotation guys going forward?

FanInAZ
02-22-2012, 11:48 PM
If anyone is planning on coming down for the Cactus League, let me know.

CoachChaz
02-23-2012, 09:44 AM
I'll be curious to see if Cueto can replicate what he did last year and how Latos adjusts from Petco to Great American. The Reds rotation is nice, but it's tough to doubt the Cards. Garcia is a young stud and dont forget they'll likely have phenom Shelby Miller in the rotation as well.

The central should be fun to watch.

MOtorboat
02-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Garcia is younger than I realized. Still think St. Louis will need a pitcher to step up. Their lineup is also a little better than I realized. Forgot they had Furcal.

Thnikkaman
02-23-2012, 10:33 AM
I'll just leave this here

g3QQIZa6-B4

CoachChaz
02-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Garcia is younger than I realized. Still think St. Louis will need a pitcher to step up. Their lineup is also a little better than I realized. Forgot they had Furcal.

Shelby Miller

slim
02-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Cueto and Latos are stud, ace type talents. Better than Carpenter now, and most likely better than Wainwright coming off the injury.

Leake and Arroyo are innings eaters and younger than Garcia and Lohse. Chapman is a stud who will do well in the lineup.

The Rockies rotation has some real question marks. Can De La Rosa come back and be effective. Is Nocasio really a stud? Is Chacin the innings eater you need at No. 3? Are Pomeranz, White and Chatman legitimate rotation guys going forward?

Latos is better than Carpenter? Geeze, MO....what are you talking about?

Carpenter is a proven ace, Latos is a two year guy that went 9-14 last year. Latos is talented, but let's maybe not put him in the HOF just yet.

Outside of Cueto, the Reds rotation has just as many question marks as the Rockies....a lot of young talent that hasn't proven anything.

CoachChaz
02-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Latos is better than Carpenter? Geeze, MO....what are you talking about?

Carpenter is a proven ace, Latos is a two year guy that went 9-14 last year. Latos is talented, but let's maybe not put him in the HOF just yet.

Outside of Cueto, the Reds rotation has just as many question marks as the Rockies....a lot of young talent that hasn't proven anything.

I think the biggest question mark for Latos is how he responds going from pitcher friendly Petco to hitter friendly GAB.

The Reds staff has potential, but I'd go with the Cards over them. Offense however, is a different thing

Thnikkaman
02-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Good news for the Brewers. Ryan Braun won his appeal and won't be suspended 50 games for PED usage.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/ryan-braun-wins-appeal-will-not-be-suspended.html?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

MOtorboat
02-23-2012, 05:27 PM
That's a big ruling.

slim
02-23-2012, 08:06 PM
I think the biggest question mark for Latos is how he responds going from pitcher friendly Petco to hitter friendly GAB.

The Reds staff has potential, but I'd go with the Cards over them. Offense however, is a different thing

I hadn't thought about the move from Petco....it will be interesting to see how that impacts his numbers.

Offensively, they seem pretty close to me. Votto is the best position player on either team, but after Votto and Philips the Reds seem fairly average.

If I were to rank the NL Central, I would go:
St. Louis
Milwaukee
Cincinnati
Chicago
Pittsburgh
Houston

Medford Bronco
02-23-2012, 10:02 PM

You mean Furcal is not hurt.

As a Dodger fan I have suffered that one a lot. :lol:

I see them sucking this year with only 2 good players in Kershaw and Kemp. The rest of the team is so-so.

As for the other team I like the Sox, I have a 3rd place expectation. Its going to be a long season for me. Oh well.......

sneakers
02-24-2012, 12:35 AM
Free Ryan Braun!

Thnikkaman
02-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Free Ryan Braun!

He's been freed. Did you read above?

MOtorboat
02-24-2012, 11:00 AM
He's been freed. Did you read above?

MLB is going to appeal the appeal. This could get ugly.

Med, I don't think the Dodgers are that bad...Loney and Ethier are decent hitters.

You have some innings eaters in Lilly and Harang, and I like Billingsley, personally.

I'd expect them to finish near the bottom of the division, though, it's a good division, I think.

San Francisco
Colorado
Arizona
Los Angeles
San Diego

I'd say that's about the finish I'd expect.

Thnikkaman
02-24-2012, 11:19 AM
MLB is going to appeal the appeal. This could get ugly.

Med, I don't think the Dodgers are that bad...Loney and Ethier are decent hitters.

You have some innings eaters in Lilly and Harang, and I like Billingsley, personally.

I'd expect them to finish near the bottom of the division, though, it's a good division, I think.

San Francisco
Colorado
Arizona
Los Angeles
San Diego

I'd say that's about the finish I'd expect.

I've read a couple of stories (At least I think, maybe I imagined them) about Lincecum and Bumgardener both having back issues. I'm really hoping they both have crappy years.

Thnikkaman
02-24-2012, 11:21 AM
So Mo, do you think Arizona was a fluke last year?

MOtorboat
02-24-2012, 11:24 AM
So Mo, do you think Arizona was a fluke last year?

Not necessarily, but I think they might come back to the pack this year. I could see Colorado, Arizona and San Fran all winning 85-90 games and it being a really tight race.

MOtorboat
02-24-2012, 11:26 AM
I've read a couple of stories (At least I think, maybe I imagined them) about Lincecum and Bumgardener both having back issues. I'm really hoping they both have crappy years.

I had not heard that, but if they both have injury issues and they miss a lot of time, San Fran could easily finish fourth.

Edit: ESPN has a story today that says Lincecum thinks he's healthy after a bullpen session yesterday.

MOtorboat
02-27-2012, 12:52 AM
I love Joe Posnanski.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2012/02/22/the-first-argument-of-spring/?sct=mlb_bf2_a3

MOtorboat
03-28-2012, 08:43 AM
I feel bad for A's fans this year. Coco Crisp started the season in the three-hole. That's bad. He should never hit anywhere but 1, 8 or 9.

Cespedes is the best hitter on that team, and I'd imagine will be hitting three by the end of April, but if your second option for the three-hole is Crisp, that's not a good sign.

Thnikkaman
03-28-2012, 08:46 AM
So, the Dodgers are going to be purchased for 2 Billion. Magic Johnson will be part owner. I'm not in the same camp of people who think that this will make them the Yankees of the West. But unfortunately, it will make them relevant again.

MOtorboat
03-28-2012, 08:55 AM
There's a lot of good, young talent in the NL West that's at the Major League level. The Dodgers have a legit MVP candidate in Kemp, and now that they have the ability to go out and trade and act more like a normal franchise, it could make them very competitive.

Thnikkaman
03-28-2012, 09:08 AM
There's a lot of good, young talent in the NL West that's at the Major League level. The Dodgers have a legit MVP candidate in Kemp, and now that they have the ability to go out and trade and act more like a normal franchise, it could make them very competitive.

I agree it will make them cometative, but I don't see them having the spending power of the Yankees. People forget that the Yankees get much of their money for salaries from the YES network.

IMO, Bud Selig needs to be usurped as the commish of baseball. I'm not saying that there needs to be a salary cap in baseball similar to the NFL, but there needs to be stricter penalties for going over the current Luxury tax limit.

MOtorboat
03-28-2012, 09:18 AM
I agree it will make them cometative, but I don't see them having the spending power of the Yankees. People forget that the Yankees get much of their money for salaries from the YES network.

IMO, Bud Selig needs to be usurped as the commish of baseball. I'm not saying that there needs to be a salary cap in baseball similar to the NFL, but there needs to be stricter penalties for going over the current Luxury tax limit.

Meh...the Giants and Cardinals aren't known for spending a ton, and they won the last two championships.

Sure, a few stricter rules, or maybe some more sharing, but the real problem, imo, in baseball is the lack of spending by some teams, i.e., the Royals, Astros, Pirates, etc. The Royals made a $20 million profit last year for like the sixth or seventh straight year...

Thnikkaman
03-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Meh...the Giants and Cardinals aren't known for spending a ton, and they won the last two championships.

Sure, a few stricter rules, or maybe some more sharing, but the real problem, imo, in baseball is the lack of spending by some teams, i.e., the Royals, Astros, Pirates, etc. The Royals made a $20 million profit last year for like the sixth or seventh straight year...

Exactly. When I heard that the Pirate's ownership was just pocketing the money they got from teams that payed the salary tax penalties, I was pretty pissed.

CoachChaz
03-28-2012, 09:28 AM

That's the bigger problem...greedy owners. While I hate wayching some teams spend money that many others cant, it also sickens me to see owners make a profit and not put the money back into the team. I can relate personally.

When the MASN tv contract happened, the Nationals and Orioles made a ton of money. The difference is Ted Lerner is putting that money into player development and signing or at least attempting to sign free agents and bringing in players that can put a quality product on the field.

Meanwhile, the evil Peter Angelos shops in the bargain bin and laughs all the way to the bank

MOtorboat
03-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Angelos is probably the worst out there. The Glasses could have come close, but they finally started investing in their organization through scouting, the draft and the Dominican, and it's starting pay off, so I am getting closer to thinking the Royals will get out of that funk.

Sending down Johnny Giavatella to start the season and going with Getz and Yuniesky Betancourt at 2B has me livid, though.

CoachChaz
03-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Angelos is probably the worst out there. The Glasses could have come close, but they finally started investing in their organization through scouting, the draft and the Dominican, and it's starting pay off, so I am getting closer to thinking the Royals will get out of that funk.

Sending down Johnny Giavatella to start the season and going with Getz and Yuniesky Betancourt at 2B has me livid, though.

He'll be back up. They are just starting him off down there so they can save a year on arbitration. He's too good to leae down there. Plus they can drive up trade value on the vets if they play well.

Read an article where if they allow multi-sport ownership that Bisciooti might be interested in looking at the Orioles. He's good friends with Ripken and I know Cal wants someone there other than the Angelos clan. I can dream anyway

MOtorboat
04-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Yay! Royals finally got a hit in season tune up (4th inning!).

MOtorboat
04-04-2012, 11:03 AM
So, apparently, real games begin in earnest tonight.

MOtorboat
04-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Doug Glanville is on Gottlieb's show now. They played a clip from Kirkjean saying his bold prediction that the top six teams will be AL teams, and Glanville said the Diamondbacks should be in the top six, not the Rays. Am I missing something there?

I have the Phillies, Cardinals and Giants (at least, if not more teams) as better than the D-backs just in the NL.

Thnikkaman
04-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Doug Glanville is on Gottlieb's show now. They played a clip from Kirkjean saying his bold prediction that the top six teams will be AL teams, and Glanville said the Diamondbacks should be in the top six, not the Rays. Am I missing something there?

I have the Phillies, Cardinals and Giants (at least, if not more teams) as better than the D-backs just in the NL.

ESPN analysts are dumb.

MOtorboat
04-04-2012, 07:40 PM
No-no watch...

MOtorboat
04-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Beisbol.

MOtorboat
04-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Ryan Dempster, wow.

7 2/3, 1 ER, 2 H, 3 BB, 10 K

But the Cubs lose. :pound:

Thnikkaman
04-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Watched the end of the Padres v. Dodgers game last night. As much as I don't like the Dodgers, it was sure nice to hear Vin Scully's voice again last night.

CoachChaz
04-06-2012, 08:57 AM

I'll argue with you on this one. If you base it solely on pitching rotations then those 3 teams are better. But, I think the D-backs have the better offense. No Pujols for the Cards...no offense at all for the Giants and until Howard and Utley prove healthy, the Phils will be a question mark. D-backs added Kubel to their lineup

But the D-backs pitching isnt a slouch either. Adding Cahill to Hudson Kennedy and Saunders gives them a very solid and very young rotation

MOtorboat
04-06-2012, 10:57 AM
I'll argue with you on this one. If you base it solely on pitching rotations then those 3 teams are better. But, I think the D-backs have the better offense. No Pujols for the Cards...no offense at all for the Giants and until Howard and Utley prove healthy, the Phils will be a question mark. D-backs added Kubel to their lineup

But the D-backs pitching isnt a slouch either. Adding Cahill to Hudson Kennedy and Saunders gives them a very solid and very young rotation

If Justin Upton is the MVP-caliber player that many believe he is, and Chris Young, Miguel Montero and Ryan Roberts all take steps forward, then yes. But anytime I look at a lineup and see Willie Bloomquist starting at short and Aaron Hill at second, I am going to have questionmarks.

Now, if Hill is hitting better than .220 with no pop (that may have been a few years ago but he singlehandedly drug a fantasy team of mine down)...

If all of those guys are hitting you can hide Bloomquist at 8, and you'll be OK. Lot of ifs, in my mind there.

CoachChaz
04-06-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm thinking Bloomquist platoons with Blum. Neither scares anyone, but it could be a position fixed via trade. I can almost guarantee Mark Reynolds will be available

MOtorboat
04-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Yu's debut in about two...

NightTerror218
04-09-2012, 07:21 PM
My team is not starting off so hot.....the Braves.

MOtorboat
04-09-2012, 07:23 PM
So, is it possible that Yu has TOO MUCH movement on his pitches?

He's getting dinked and dunked here in the first. The movement on his pitches is incredible, but he's missing spots like crazy.

MOtorboat
04-09-2012, 07:31 PM
42 pitches, four runs on four hits with three walks and two Ks.

Repotoire is as advertised though.

Mid-90s fastball. Shows mid-90s on all three fastballs I saw, four seam, two-seamer to left handers and sinker to righties.

I think I saw both a slider and a hard curve to righties and a looping curve to a lefty.

Didn't see a changeup.

MOtorboat
04-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Dear Shin-Soo Choo,

If you don't like getting hit. Back off the plate.

Sincerely,
Everybody

MOtorboat
04-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Bench clearers in baseball are so comical.

MOtorboat
04-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Ass-dribble Cabrera kills the Royals. Every time.

OrangeHoof
04-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Just heard Giants closer Brian Wilson may need season ending surgery. Giants may be without the beard all season.

MOtorboat
04-14-2012, 07:43 PM
That's a huge blow to the Giants. I don't even know who their setup guy is right now. Is Affeldt still there?

MOtorboat
04-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Only fantasy baseball would ever make me know who Santiago Casilla is...

(for those who don't, he's possibly a closer to replace Wilson.)

Thnikkaman
04-16-2012, 08:37 AM
I'd say the Dodgers are doing something special /JimTracy, But they've faced who, the Pirates and Padres?

MOtorboat
04-23-2012, 07:14 PM
C'mon Chen!

Oh for ****'s sake...lead off HR.

Loss number 11... coming right up.

MOtorboat
04-23-2012, 07:22 PM

MOtorboat
04-23-2012, 07:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v2Gatk2b2w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

skins_fan82
04-24-2012, 08:25 AM
I did not expect my nats to come out of the gate like this...here's to hoping it lasts :)

MOtorboat
04-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Texas is way better than I thought they were.

Tned
04-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Only fantasy baseball would ever make me know who Santiago Casilla is...

(for those who don't, he's possibly a closer to replace Wilson.)

Ironically, I had picked up Casilla in my draft as a high k, low ERA pitcher to eat up a spot, knowing he was likely next in line.

MOtorboat
04-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Ironically, I had picked up Casilla in my draft as a high k, low ERA pitcher to eat up a spot, knowing he was likely next in line.

Yeah, he was available in my 20-team, 25-man roster league, amazingly, and now he's got as many saves as Huston Street and one short of Matt Capps and Mariano Rivera, and my team is cleaning up the saves category every week.

This league has holds as a category, though, and I haven't had one yet this season. About to get a 10-4 win this week (it's a 7x7 head to head), and pull within a game of the division lead.

Tned
04-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Yeah, he was available in my 20-team, 25-man roster league, amazingly, and now he's got as many saves as Huston Street and one short of Matt Capps and Mariano Rivera, and my team is cleaning up the saves category every week.

This league has holds as a category, though, and I haven't had one yet this season. About to get a 10-4 win this week (it's a 7x7 head to head), and pull within a game of the division lead.

I'm in two standard 5x5 rotisserie leages, both NL only, 12 teams -- auction, keeper leagues. While I only managed to keep 5 and 7 players, out of a possible 15, I had really good drafts and started off leading both leagues, but have gotten descimated by injuries the last week or so -- Dempster, Lee (Cliff AND Carlos), Pelfrey, Zimmerman and others.

MOtorboat
04-29-2012, 09:29 PM
I'm in two standard 5x5 rotisserie leages, both NL only, 12 teams -- auction, keeper leagues. While I only managed to keep 5 and 7 players, out of a possible 15, I had really good drafts and started off leading both leagues, but have gotten descimated by injuries the last week or so -- Dempster, Lee (Cliff AND Carlos), Pelfrey, Zimmerman and others.

Ditto.

Carl Crawford is my top player, and Daniel Hudson is probably No. 2, and he just went on the DL. I also kept Zach Britton, who was way underrated last year for the Orioles, and he's been on the DL all year, too.

Luckily, I've got some good starts from Blake Beavan from Seattle and Tommy Millone from Oakland early on. Beckett and Jaime Garcia have struggled a little for me, thus far.

Jeter and Chase Headley are making my team competitive.

CoachChaz
04-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Texas is way better than I thought they were.

Young pitching is tearing it up and Hamilton is playing like a mad man. Surprises me because it's actually pretty easy to get him out on a regular basis...but pitchers dont seem to catch on to how to do it.

MOtorboat
04-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Yu Darvish is gud.

MOtorboat
04-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Props to the headline writer for ESPN's MLB page tonight... That Hoodoo Yu Do...

CoachChaz
05-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Yu Darvish is gud.

He has been nasty the last 2 games. Seems to have his control figured out now too.

MOtorboat
05-01-2012, 08:27 AM
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I just got offered Jon Lester and Josh Beckett for Troy Tulowitski.

There's no way I accept that, right...

CoachChaz
05-01-2012, 08:47 AM
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I just got offered Jon Lester and Josh Beckett for Troy Tulowitski.

There's no way I accept that, right...

Depends on how many games you think Tulo might actually play this year

MOtorboat
05-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Depends on how many games you think Tulo might actually play this year

Did not consider...

MOtorboat
05-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Beckett hasn't had a full season since 2006...

CoachChaz
05-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Beckett hasn't had a full season since 2006...

But other than 2010...he's been right there around 200 innings. it's a tough call, but the combination of the two might make it worth it.

MOtorboat
05-01-2012, 12:30 PM
But other than 2010...he's been right there around 200 innings. it's a tough call, but the combination of the two might make it worth it.

Here's the problem. I have Zimmerman, Utley, Crawford and Daniel Hudson on that team, all DL, so I can't really afford to do a two for one trade even if it benefits me at this point in the season.

CoachChaz
05-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Here's the problem. I have Zimmerman, Utley, Crawford and Daniel Hudson on that team, all DL, so I can't really afford to do a two for one trade even if it benefits me at this point in the season.

Yeah...that'sa rock and a hard place. TOugh call

MOtorboat
05-02-2012, 01:38 PM
After going 0-18 to start the season, Alex Gordon is hitting .292/.395/.538 with 4 HRs, 4 2Bs, 11 BB in the last 16 games.

If that were to happen over a 162 game season that would be 40 HRs, 40 2Bs, 190 hits

CoachChaz
05-02-2012, 01:44 PM
After going 0-18 to start the season, Alex Gordon is hitting .292/.395/.538 with 4 HRs, 4 2Bs, 11 BB in the last 16 games.

If that were to happen over a 162 game season that would be 40 HRs, 40 2Bs, 190 hits

He seems to have figured it out and live up to his potential the past 2 years. Still dont like him.

Speaking of guys figuring it out. My boy Chris Davis is on a tear. Watched him when he was in AA at Frisco and loved his game. He tore up the Rangers minor leagues, but never could figure it out at the major level. I was ecstatic when Baltimore ended up with him and now he's tearing it up. Hope he can keep it up

MOtorboat
05-02-2012, 01:47 PM
He seems to have figured it out and live up to his potential the past 2 years. Still dont like him.

Speaking of guys figuring it out. My boy Chris Davis is on a tear. Watched him when he was in AA at Frisco and loved his game. He tore up the Rangers minor leagues, but never could figure it out at the major level. I was ecstatic when Baltimore ended up with him and now he's tearing it up. Hope he can keep it up

If Gordon can hit .280-.290 every year with 20-25 HRs, he has enough plate discipline to have a high OBP, he will be the two-hole hitter in KC for a long time.

Plus, he's a gold glove left fielder.

Not a star, but just a solid player.

CoachChaz
05-02-2012, 01:49 PM
If Gordon can hit .280-.290 every year with 20-25 HRs, he has enough plate discipline to have a high OBP, he will be the two-hole hitter in KC for a long time.

Plus, he's a gold glove left fielder.

Not a star, but just a solid player.

Just like Nick Markakis. LH Gold Glove outfielder with a little pop and RBI potential that works the count and gets on base.

MOtorboat
05-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Just like Nick Markakis. LH Gold Glove outfielder with a little pop and RBI potential that works the count and gets on base.

The problem for Baltimore and Kansas City is that that guy can't be your best player...

CoachChaz
05-02-2012, 02:03 PM
The problem for Baltimore and Kansas City is that that guy can't be your best player...

Well, with Hosmer in KC and Weiters in Baltimore...I think they are working on that.

MOtorboat
05-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Well, with Hosmer in KC and Weiters in Baltimore...I think they are working on that.

I hope so. League was a lot better when KC and Baltimore were good. (I'm probably biased for the small market clubs, but still...)

Hosmer has been a little frustrating to watch the last two weeks. He's pressing because the Royals aren't playing well, I think.

CoachChaz
05-02-2012, 02:07 PM
I hope so. League was a lot better when KC and Baltimore were good. (I'm probably biased for the small market clubs, but still...)

Hosmer has been a little frustrating to watch the last two weeks. He's pressing because the Royals aren't playing well, I think.

Him and Moose are young...very young. They have time to figure it out. If our owners decide to spend money and get talent and then develop it...our teams could be worth a damn again soon.

I'm shocked to hell that Balt is only a game behind TB right now...Cant remember the last time we've had a winning record this late into the season (1 month)

MOtorboat
05-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Him and Moose are young...very young. They have time to figure it out. If our owners decide to spend money and get talent and then develop it...our teams could be worth a damn again soon.

I'm shocked to hell that Balt is only a game behind TB right now...Cant remember the last time we've had a winning record this late into the season (1 month)

Moustakas had a rough go last year, but he's hitting .313 with 3 HR, 7 2Bs and 12 RBI this season. He's on pace for 24 HRs, 93 RBI and 54 doubles. If he could keep a pace like that at 23 That would be pretty remarkable.

MOtorboat
05-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Effing Verlander.

MOtorboat
05-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Effing Aaron Crow.

CoachChaz
05-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Moustakas had a rough go last year, but he's hitting .313 with 3 HR, 7 2Bs and 12 RBI this season. He's on pace for 24 HRs, 93 RBI and 54 doubles. If he could keep a pace like that at 23 That would be pretty remarkable.

I dont know if see Moose ever being a great hitter...but he'll certainly provide the power and drive in runs. If he can do that and hit .270-.280...he'll be just fine.

MOtorboat
05-03-2012, 07:26 PM
I dont know if see Moose ever being a great hitter...but he'll certainly provide the power and drive in runs. If he can do that and hit .270-.280...he'll be just fine.

You mean, "for average" hitter? Then I would agree. But I think a .290, 35 HR season is not out of the question for him at some point in his career. He is NOT that player year in and year out, but he is a hell of a hitter.

And I LOVE when Danny Duffy is on the mound...a glimpse of the future now. And when he's ringing up Robinson Cano with a 99 MPH fastball it's exciting.

Teach me how to Duffy...

MOtorboat
05-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Oh Jimminy Christmas, Mariano Rivera injured his knee and was carted off the field shagging fly balls in BP. Fox just showed video of it. He was chasing one near the wall, planted his leg, turned his knee and slammed into the wall.

SMH.

Way to **** up my fantasy team Mariano...

MOtorboat
05-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Is there anyone else who watches more Strike 3s than Alex Gordon?

MOtorboat
05-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Only Alex Rodriguez could argue strike two, throw his arms out, get in the umps face and not get thrown out.

MOtorboat
05-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Rodriguez is such an unbelievable punk. He glared at the ump after every single pitch after that, and then hit a weak ass slow roller to first for the last out of the game.

Sit down you punk ass bitch.

MOtorboat
05-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Well, it looks like Rivera's career is over.

MOtorboat
05-04-2012, 08:19 AM

And Big Panda.

:tsk:

I'm dropping Crawford, because its not a keeper league.

CoachChaz
05-04-2012, 08:21 AM
This was his last year anyway. Yanks will probably be fine without him though. All I need now is for overrated Jeter, overpaid ARod and the traitor Tex to have knee injuries and I'll be happy

Thnikkaman
05-04-2012, 11:27 AM
This was his last year anyway. Yanks will probably be fine without him though. All I need now is for overrated Jeter, overpaid ARod and the traitor Tex to have knee injuries and I'll be happy

It will be refreshing to see your team continue to play the way that it is.

CoachChaz
05-04-2012, 12:50 PM
It will be refreshing to see your team continue to play the way that it is.

I wouldnt count on it. The thing that is a positive is that Hardy, Markakis and Reynolds havent really been hitting yet, so if they can pick it up...it's a good thing.

The negative is that VERY mediocre pitching has been playing well over it's ability and is bound to come back to Earth. We have the lineup...just not the arms

MOtorboat
05-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Always loved the Orioles colors. Unique to major sports. Their road blacks they have on tonight are classic.

CoachChaz
05-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Always loved the Orioles colors. Unique to major sports. Their road blacks they have on tonight are classic.

Only problem with the black is they wear the O's hat with them. Their road unis are actually the gray ones that say Baltimore on the chest. They wear the new black hats with those...I'd like to see them wear the new black hats with the black alternate jerseys, too. They also have new orange alternate unis, but I havent been able to catch a game where they were wearing them yet. They wear the new white hats with those and the white jerseys.

I like the black jerseys, too. I'm a jersey junkie and I have 7 O's jerseys. 2 are black. Markakis and Jones. White Weiters, white custom with my name, white Ripken throwback, orange Murray throwback, gray Robinson throwback.

But yeah...somehow I became a fan of orange teams. Not sure how

MOtorboat
05-05-2012, 05:27 PM
I've seen the orange unis in highlights, I think (might have been at uniwatch). They looked pretty good. Love them bringing back the cartoon bird hats.

CoachChaz
05-05-2012, 05:29 PM
I've seen the orange unis in highlights, I think. They looked pretty good. Love them bringing back the cartoon bird hats.

Absolutely. Like I said...wish they'd wear the black ones with the black alternates. But, oh well. Anything is better than the ridiculous ornithologically correct bird logo of the previous 15 years. Funny...we use that logo and dont have a winning season the whole time. We bring back the cartoon and we're playing great.

MOtorboat
05-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Bryce Harper is unreal.

MOtorboat
05-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Jayson Werth is done for a month or two...

MOtorboat
05-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Danny Duffy just...

I can't say it.

CoachChaz
05-18-2012, 08:19 AM
I enjoyed the O's brief visit to KC

MOtorboat
05-18-2012, 09:14 AM
I didn't.

CoachChaz
05-18-2012, 09:28 AM
I didn't.

No...but you had more success againt Texas than we've had in the last 10 years.

CoachChaz
05-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Is Adam Jones a bad word in KC now?

MOtorboat
05-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Nah. It's almost OK to lose, at least in my mind, to the "small market" team in Baltimore, because it means we might not have to see New York or Boston in the playoffs. And yeah, that was a good series against Texas.

CoachChaz
05-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Nah. It's almost OK to lose, at least in my mind, to the "small market" team in Baltimore, because it means we might not have to see New York or Boston in the playoffs. And yeah, that was a good series against Texas.

Yhe O's do this EVERY year. It's a tease and by the end of the year, we'll be where theykeep the good wine. In the cellar. In fact, there was a recent article that discussed this specifically.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7933461/luis-ayala-jim-johnson-matt-wieters-surprising-baltimore-orioles

MOtorboat
05-18-2012, 10:15 AM
I love Grantland.

CoachChaz
05-18-2012, 10:23 AM
I love Grantland.

I read it every day. Some really good stuff on there. Unfortunately, there is also usually some horrible stuff. Read the recent article on Sasha Cohen. My teenagers could write a better article.

MOtorboat
05-18-2012, 10:27 AM
I read it every day. Some really good stuff on there. Unfortunately, there is also usually some horrible stuff. Read the recent article on Sasha Cohen. My teenagers could write a better article.

Yeah, I guess I can appreciate that Simmons loves pop culture, too, but wading through all the reality tv crap can be kind of dumb.

The story about Wilt and Baylor in D.C., and D.C. basketball, was an incredible read.

CoachChaz
05-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I guess I can appreciate that Simmons loves pop culture, too, but wading through all the reality tv crap can be kind of dumb.

The story about Wilt and Baylor in D.C., and D.C. basketball, was an incredible read.

Saw that but didnt read it. I'll check it out this afternoon

MOtorboat
05-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Now it's my 25-man dynasty roster...

DL, and I only have four DL spots:
Carl Crawford
Mariano Rivera
Daniel Hudson
Huston Street
Mark Ellis
Jon Jay

And I already dropped Zach Britton.

MOtorboat
05-26-2012, 12:34 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/26/joe-maddon-calls-throwing-at-luke-scott-a-weak-cowardly-effort/

I love baseball spats. Its so absurdly obvious that Scott got hit intentionally, but still all the denial and games in the media. So funny.

MOtorboat
05-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Got you back at home coach...

#CountryBreakfast

MOtorboat
05-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Mike, er, Giancarlo Stanton is something to watch. Jordan Zimmerman, who has pretty excellent stuff today, threw him a slider on 2-0, and then tried to do it again on 3-1 and Stanton just crushed it to left.

MOtorboat
05-29-2012, 07:45 AM
Two potentially huge injuries this weekend with Halladay's shoulder tightness and Weaver's back pain.

Both teams already under performing and both team's best pitcher going down.

MOtorboat
06-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Johan being Johan.

Thnikkaman
06-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Mp, you like Zimmer?

MOtorboat
06-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Mp, you like Zimmer?

Honestly, I haven't paid much attention to the draft this year. Quick perusal of draftniks posts and stats, seems to me like his upside is late in games in the pen.

Not sure how I feel about that with the first pick.

Has a hamstring problem...

OrangeHoof
06-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Astros GM sandbagged the media. All week long the media was leaking that it was going to be Appel or possibly Buxton then SURPRISE! it's a Puerto Rican shortstop named Correa. No idea if it was a good pick or not but I love the idea of making all the usual media suspects look like fools. Appel, repped by $cott Bora$ fell all the way to the Pirates at #8, proving the Appel does fall far from the greed.

MOtorboat
06-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Correa sounds like a fine, fine talent.

CoachChaz
06-05-2012, 03:46 PM
He'll be a stud.

CoachChaz
06-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Astros GM sandbagged the media. All week long the media was leaking that it was going to be Appel or possibly Buxton then SURPRISE! it's a Puerto Rican shortstop named Correa. No idea if it was a good pick or not but I love the idea of making all the usual media suspects look like fools. Appel, repped by $cott Bora$ fell all the way to the Pirates at #8, proving the Appel does fall far from the greed.

If Pittsburgh can sign them all, they should have a nasty rotation in a few years. Cole, Appel, Taillon

Thnikkaman
06-05-2012, 03:51 PM
So Tommy Lasorda has had a heart attack. (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/former-los-angeles-dodgers-manager-tommy-lasorda-suffers-heart-attack-060512)

Lets hope he pulls through.

CoachChaz
06-05-2012, 03:52 PM
So Tommy Lasorda has had a heart attack. (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/former-los-angeles-dodgers-manager-tommy-lasorda-suffers-heart-attack-060512)

Lets hope he pulls through.

Saw that. Definitely need some prayer

MOtorboat
06-18-2012, 07:17 PM
So, I just got MLB Network.

ZOMG, I'm in heaven. MLB Tonight is like RedZone. It's awesome.

Thnikkaman
06-18-2012, 07:56 PM
So, I just got MLB Network.

ZOMG, I'm in heaven. MLB Tonight is like RedZone. It's awesome.

I think it's better than NFL network. It definitely would be if Kevin Millar wasn't on Intentional Talk.

MOtorboat
06-18-2012, 07:57 PM
I think it's better than NFL network. It definitely would be if Kevin Millar wasn't on Intentional Talk.

Millar isn't on here tonight.

MOtorboat
06-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Carlos Santana has to have a Carlos Santana nickname, right?

Like "Black Magic" or "Smooth."

Right?

MOtorboat
07-13-2012, 07:49 AM
Baseball is back!

The four-day All-Star break was excruciating.

Thnikkaman
07-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Baseball is back!

The four-day All-Star break was excruciating.

Totally, I can't wait for baseball again.

MOtorboat
07-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Second-half themes:

Angels
After a horrible April, the Angels have actually rebounded to have the third best record in the AL at the All-Star break, and would be leading the Central. Can Trout continue his torrid pace and become a real MVP candidate?

Rangers
Probably the best team in the league, can they continue to win, and will Hamilton win the MVP?

Note: Key serieses, the Angels and Rangers meet six times in the last two weeks of the season.

Phil Hughes
Hughes is 8-3 since May 6 and brought his ERA down three runs. If he can continue pitching like that, the Yankees will dominate the AL East in the second half.

Kevin Youkilis
He is hitting .347 with three home runs in 13 games since being traded. He likely could be the spark to get the White Sox into the playoffs.

Pirates
Can the Pirates really win the NL Central.

Nationals
Can they continue their torrid pace for such a young team? Will the pitching hold out, and will the Nationals really sit Strasburg at an inning limit with a divisional lead?

Dodgers
Can the Dodgers hold on, or will San Francisco or Arizona catch them? The Dodgers get Kemp back, will that be enough?

Cole Hamels
Will he be traded?

Who's gonna get fired?
Could Ron Gardenhire get fired?
Will Tracy and O'Dowd?
Eric Wedge

MOtorboat
07-13-2012, 12:38 PM
"@ESPNStatsInfo: Elias says Zack Greinke tonight will be 1st pitcher to start 3 straight team games in same season since Red Faber for White Sox in 1917."

Ravage!!!
07-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Crap am I disappointed. I thought this thread was about our Middle Line Backers.... instead its about crappy baseball.

Thnikkaman
07-13-2012, 12:56 PM
"@ESPNStatsInfo: Elias says Zack Greinke tonight will be 1st pitcher to start 3 straight team games in same season since Red Faber for White Sox in 1917."

I would love nothing more than to see all the stars allign and by some miracle of the baseball Gods have Greinke end up on the Rockies. I think a rotation of Greinke, Francis, JDLR, Chacin, and Nicasio/Pomeranz/Friedrich would be pretty good.

BigDaddyBronco
07-13-2012, 02:50 PM
I like baseball, but I never seem to watch it. Either I'm busy when the game is on, or the games are never close and I get annoyed and watch something else.

I did watch the game where Josh Hamilton hit those 4 2 run homers against the Orioles back in May, that was pretty awesome.

Nomad
07-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread and it's about MLB, so I hope you don't mind CC.

I thought this was a cool find.......
http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter/2012/07/historic-baseball-cards-discovered-in-ohio-attic/39439/#name%20here

MOtorboat
07-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Brendan Ryan is hilarious.

Nomad
07-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Never thought I'd see Ichiro leave the Mariners!

MOtorboat
07-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Never thought I'd see Ichiro leave the Mariners!

F'n Yankees.

NightTerror218
07-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Josh Rutledge better keep it up.

NightTerror218
07-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread and it's about MLB, so I hope you don't mind CC.

I thought this was a cool find.......
http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter/2012/07/historic-baseball-cards-discovered-in-ohio-attic/39439/#name%20here

I have boxes and binders of baseball cards in my moms storage unit from when I was kid. They are all 20+ yrs old. I need to be over 100 yrs old for them to worth millions.....not sure I can wait that long.

Nomad
07-23-2012, 06:19 PM
I have boxes and binders of baseball cards in my moms storage unit from when I was kid. They are all 20+ yrs old. I need to be over 100 yrs old for them to worth millions.....not sure I can wait that long.

I use to collect cards from the 70s/early 80s as a kid. Those cards are long gone. I think it's pretty cool to see those pioneers of the game.

NightTerror218
07-23-2012, 06:20 PM
I use to collect cards from the 70s/early 80s as a kid. Those cards are long gone. I think it's pretty cool to see those pioneers of the game.

Oh ya. Now if I could old have one......I WOULD BE SET!!!

Thnikkaman
07-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Josh Rutledge better keep it up.

I think he will do well at 2B when Tulo comes back.

NightTerror218
07-23-2012, 07:12 PM
I just picked him up on my fantasy team.

MOtorboat
07-31-2012, 09:33 PM
No-no alert in Chicago for A.J. Burnett of the Pirates.

CoachChaz
08-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Pirates are surprisingly tough...but the remaining Reds schedule doesnt make things easier for Pitt.

Thnikkaman
08-01-2012, 09:40 AM
I'll be rooting for Pitt. I think they are the one team in Philadelphia that I can stand.

chazoe60
08-01-2012, 09:47 AM
I'll be rooting for Pitt. I think they are the one team in Philadelphia that I can stand.

Huh? Did you mean Pennsylvania?

Tink, did you fail geometry? ;)

MOtorboat
08-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Huh? Did you mean Pennsylvania?

Tink, did you fail geometry? ;)

You mean geography? ;)

chazoe60
08-01-2012, 09:53 AM
You mean geography? ;)

Way to spoil the joke dude! I swear, we can't take you anywhere.

Thnikkaman
08-01-2012, 10:11 AM
I did mean Pennsylvania. And no, I aced Geometry. I think I got a B in Geography.

CoachChaz
08-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Doesnt matter anyway...Philly will not be vying for the post-season this year anyway

Thnikkaman
08-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Freaking Monforts. Just fire O'Dowd and get it over with.

MOtorboat
08-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Freaking Monforts. Just fire O'Dowd and get it over with.

I just saw this. That's pretty weak.

They are essentially demoting O'Dowd, but he's still in charge.

:whoknows:

chazoe60
08-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Anyone know anything about this guy whose going to be his "assisstant"? I forgot his name. They mentioned it on the fan.

Thnikkaman
08-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Anyone know anything about this guy whose going to be his "assisstant"? I forgot his name. They mentioned it on the fan.

He's been with the organization since 2002 I think.

chazoe60
08-01-2012, 01:34 PM
He's been with the organization since 2002 I think.

That seems like a bad thing to me.

MOtorboat
08-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Vin Scully just relayed a story about Hunter Pence and his niece's birth, and he said "when Hunter received the telegram..."

I love Vin Scully.

CoachChaz
08-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Living Legend

Nomad
09-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Not that I follow MLB very closely.....you know it's bad for the Red Sox when the Mariners are beating them:lol:

MOtorboat
09-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Not that I follow MLB very closely.....you know it's bad for the Red Sox when the Mariners are beating them:lol:

I would love to see the Royals finish with a better record than the Red Sox.

CoachChaz
09-04-2012, 10:02 AM

That would be funny...but they still have six games each with TB and NY that I need them to win. They can lay down against the O's if it helps

Nomad
09-04-2012, 10:25 AM

I'll watch a Mariners game every now and then, but I didn't think the Royals still existed since George Brett and Bo Jackson left the game.

MOtorboat
09-04-2012, 10:33 AM
I'll watch a Mariners game every now and then, but I didn't think the Royals still existed since George Brett and Bo Jackson left the game.

Ouch.

chazoe60
09-04-2012, 11:43 AM
I really want the Pirates to make the postseason.

CoachChaz
09-04-2012, 11:48 AM
I really want the Pirates to make the postseason.

Like last year...they have teased the fans one more. The way they are playing lately, I wont be shocked if their streak of losing seasons continues

MOtorboat
09-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Mike Trout has slipped to third in SLG, but only one player has ever led the American League in SLG and Stolen Bases in the same season.

Ty Cobb.

chazoe60
09-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Mike Trout has slipped to third in SLG, but only one player has ever led the American League in SLG and Stolen Bases in the same season.

Ty Cobb.

Mike Trout is a stud of epic porportions. There was a great article about him 2 SI's ago. Great kid and a great baseball player.

MOtorboat
09-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Mike Trout is a stud of epic porportions. There was a great article about him 2 SI's ago. Great kid and a great baseball player.

That article was pretty good.

CoachChaz
09-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Trout's WAR is still ridiculous.

CoachChaz
09-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Baltimore Orioles in 1st place in September for the first time since 1997. Regardless of making the playoffs, we'll still end this season with a winning record. Havent been able to say that in 15 years.

MOtorboat
09-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Baltimore Orioles in 1st place in September for the first time since 1997. Regardless of making the playoffs, we'll still end this season with a winning record. Havent been able to say that in 15 years.

Curious your thoughts on Gordon's and Butler's seasons.

Gordon is leading the AL in doubles with 45, has 11 homers and has a .298/.368/.453

And Butler has 25 homers, 21 doubles with a .309/.373/.502

CoachChaz
09-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Curious your thoughts on Gordon's and Butler's seasons.

Gordon is leading the AL in doubles with 45, has 11 homers and has a .298/.368/.453

And Butler has 25 homers, 21 doubles with a .309/.373/.502

I was sitting at Buffalo Wild Wings on Monday and watching the Rangers/Royals game with a buddy. He asked me who I would take off of the KC roster to add to Baltimore and he did the same for Texas. Both of us agreed on Butler in a heartbeat. He has a great stick and a leader mentality at a young age. He gets better every year...and he's only 26. Problem is...he is losing defensive value. If he and Hosmer rotated between 1B and DH more often, it would get him on the field more and probably make him an even better hitter. As it stands, he is losing contractual value and I dont get it, because he's not bad defensively. I'd take him in Baltimore.

Gordon has impressed me with his ability to adapt to a new position and how it helped him offensively. Me and my buddy both have him on our teams already in the form of David Murphy and Nick Markakis. Every team needs an Alex Gordon type in their lineup.

MOtorboat
09-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Butler's average was a little low to start the season, but he finally showing pop and the average came around. So I'm pretty pleased with his performance this year. Hosmer is by far a superior defender. He grades out as a plus defender, so I don't think that's changing anytime soon. I get the feeling #countrybreakfast might be a Royal for a while.

I'm disappointed in Gordon's lack of home runs, but 45 doubles is outstanding. I think he's learning to play in Kauffman and starting to realize its not the home run park that Haymarket was for him in college and the minors parks were in Wichita.

CoachChaz
09-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Butler's average was a little low to start the season, but he finally showing pop and the average came around. So I'm pretty pleased with his performance this year. Hosmer is by far a superior defender. He grades out as a plus defender, so I don't think that's changing anytime soon. I get the feeling #countrybreakfast might be a Royal for a while.

I'm disappointed in Gordon's lack of home runs, but 45 doubles is outstanding. I think he's learning to play in Kauffman and starting to realize its not the home run park that Haymarket was for him in college and the minors parks were in Wichita.

...and I think that's what Gordon has figured out. He stopped trying to hit HR's last year and ended up having his best offensive season. Not as many dingers this year, but still getting on base and hitting doubles. Markakis was similar for Baltimore. 25 HR and 100 RBI in his 2nd season. That kind of production has disappeared, but he has adapted to a different role. Then, he was a #3 hitter...was moved to the 2 spot...and now hits leadoff. Same stuff has happened with Gordon and he has adapted nicely as well.

For some reason, I see Butler as a Yankee in the future. He just fits the prototype. Good player on a random team. (Swisher, Martin, Granderson) The Yanks love guys like that and I dont know if Butler's mentality will keep him in KC at a discount, or if he'll want big money and a shot at a WS.

If guys like Verdugo, Jeffress, Odorizzi and Montgomery dont pan out for the staff...as well as the kids in the bullpen...it's going to be hard to convince guys like Butler to stick around. Not to mention, the roster gets loaded if Wil Meyers and Bubba Starling turn into legitimate major leaguers.

They have a very young core that can eventually be VERY good. But that pitching is going to have to pan out if they want to attempt to keep the young guys around.

MOtorboat
09-05-2012, 09:40 AM
I don't think Billy is a Yankee type of guy. He likes the country too much. I could see him in going to an Atlanta, but probably not the Yankees.

There's an interesting story out there about his first year in KC. His wife started volunteering at a local charity. Came in twice a week, but never told anyone who she was until one day Billy showed up in his F250 to pick her up, and someone recognized him.

She's now running the charity, I believe.

CoachChaz
09-05-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't think Billy is a Yankee type of guy. He likes the country too much. I could see him in going to an Atlanta, but probably not the Yankees.

There's an interesting story out there about his first year in KC. His wife started volunteering at a local charity. Came in twice a week, but never told anyone who she was until one day Billy showed up in his F250 to pick her up, and someone recognized him.

She's now running the charity, I believe.

Well...I hope it happens. It would be nice to see players stay with small market teams (unless they want to come to Baltimore). But then, Baltimore isnt exactly a large market either.

CoachChaz
09-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Sorry...but I had to post this link. After 14 years of misery, it is finally a fun time.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24553003&c_id=mlb

NightTerror218
09-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Go braves!!!

chazoe60
09-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Sorry...but I had to post this link. After 14 years of misery, it is finally a fun time.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24553003&c_id=mlb

It's just because of the ballpark they play in.

CoachChaz
09-07-2012, 02:26 PM
It's just because of the ballpark they play in.

lol. I reall wasnt referring to the 6 HR's as much as I was referring to the excitement in Camden Yards once again and fighting to be the Skankees.

But yeah, the high humidity and low altitide of a ballpark near a bay helps the long ball so much...doesnt it?

Nomad
09-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Too bad for that pitcher from the A's.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/05/brandon-mccarthy-injury-line-drive-head-as-angels_n_1859175.html

MOtorboat
09-08-2012, 12:34 PM
I feel really bad for a.) Stephen Strasburg, and b.) Nationals fans.

Really stupid.

OrangeHoof
09-08-2012, 01:20 PM
I feel really bad for a.) Stephen Strasburg, and b.) Nationals fans.

Really stupid.

I'm okay with it. The Nationals have a decent lead and two other good starters. But if I'm Davey Johnson, I want Strasburg on the postseason roster just for the threat of sending him in either in an emergency start or a critical bullpen situation.

Randy Johnson closed for Schilling one time and Arizona wound up winning the World Series.

Thnikkaman
09-10-2012, 09:05 AM
lol. I reall wasnt referring to the 6 HR's as much as I was referring to the excitement in Camden Yards once again and fighting to be the Skankees.

But yeah, the high humidity and low altitide of a ballpark near a bay helps the long ball so much...doesnt it?

High Humidity does help the ball carry farther because warm air with high humidity is lighter.

CoachChaz
09-10-2012, 10:55 AM
High Humidity does help the ball carry farther because warm air with high humidity is lighter.

Yes. High humidity helps. I guess I got over-zealous with my explanation when defining humidity.

I think the striking difference between Camden and Coors is that the Orioles simply cant produce good pitching and Coors turns good pitching into bad pitching.

Thnikkaman
09-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Yes. High humidity helps. I guess I got over-zealous with my explanation when defining humidity.

I think the striking difference between Camden and Coors is that the Orioles simply cant produce good pitching and Coors turns good pitching into bad pitching.

Coors has an effect on how the ball breaks, and pitchers need to adjust their release point to get the action they are expecting. The Rockies bullpen knows this, and is one of the best in the Majors. Our starting pitching just sucks.

CoachChaz
09-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Coors has an effect on how the ball breaks, and pitchers need to adjust their release point to get the action they are expecting. The Rockies bullpen knows this, and is one of the best in the Majors. Our starting pitching just sucks.

Sounds familiar

Thnikkaman
09-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Sounds familiar

I'm pulling for your team to come out of the AL. Don't know if they will, but I'm rooting for them.

CoachChaz
09-10-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm pulling for your team to come out of the AL. Don't know if they will, but I'm rooting for them.

I doubt it. We pretty much have to win the AL East. I like our chances against any other team besides the Rangers. If things keep going the way they are, it looks like the WC winner will get Texas in the first round. They own us.

MOtorboat
10-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Here we go.

Atlanta strikes first.

slim
10-05-2012, 04:42 PM
I can't believe MO was right about the Reds.

Nice call, MO.

NightTerror218
10-05-2012, 04:43 PM
lets go ATL!!!!!!!

MOtorboat
10-05-2012, 04:50 PM
I can't believe MO was right about the Reds.

Nice call, MO.

I couldn't have predicted what happened to Carpenter, but Latos was pretty darn good...

NightTerror218
10-05-2012, 04:52 PM
my damn gamecast is not refreshing

MOtorboat
10-05-2012, 05:05 PM
my damn gamecast is not refreshing

Still 2-0, top 4. Beltran just got the first hit for St. Louis.

Medlen has great stuff tonight. Power curve is working.

chazoe60
10-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Go Cards. I have tremendous respect for that organization and fanbase. I've been to two Rox/Cards games and their fans are always smart, respectful, and knowledgable.

MOtorboat
10-05-2012, 05:16 PM
I used to root for the Braves before the Rockies were born, because they were always on TBS. I've since stopped rooting for them, but the Cardinals can kiss my ass.

NightTerror218
10-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Braves need to get back in....CBSsports is working now. I am getting updates.

chazoe60
10-05-2012, 05:19 PM
I used to root for the Braves before the Rockies were born, because they were always on TBS. I've since stopped rooting for them, but the Cardinals can kiss my ass.

Why do you not like the Cardinals?

MOtorboat
10-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Why do you not like the Cardinals?

Because I'm a Royals fan. It's by default.

And because (I know he's gone) LaRussa is a complete douche.

chazoe60
10-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Braves trying to cheat. :laugh:

chazoe60
10-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Because I'm a Royals fan. It's by default.

And because (I know he's gone) LaRussa is a complete douche.

So, of all the teams left who are you rooting for to win it all?

MOtorboat
10-05-2012, 05:24 PM
So, of all the teams left who are you rooting for to win it all?

O's.

chazoe60
10-05-2012, 05:26 PM
O's.
Screw that, coach would be unbearable if that happened. :D

MOtorboat
10-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Screw that, coach would be unbearable if that happened. :D

Well, I don't want Detroit. I want the Yankees to choke, because, well, I do, and it's funny. I want to see someone else other than the Rangers. I could stomach the A's getting to the WS from the AL.

OK, I'd love to see Washington do it, but they have classic run out of gas syndrome I think, plus the dumbasses sat their best pitcher. No thanks to San Fran or St. Louis. I wouldn't mind the Reds.

chazoe60
10-05-2012, 05:36 PM
I want the Reds or Nats. Hate the AL, plus I love when an NL team wins it and Collin Cowherd has to figure out excuses as to why the AL isn't just completely dominant.

chazoe60
10-05-2012, 05:50 PM
What if an error by Chipper Jones is the difference in his final game? Ouch!

NightTerror218
10-05-2012, 05:52 PM
What if an error by Chipper Jones is the difference in his final game? Ouch!

either way, he has had an awesome career

NightTerror218
10-05-2012, 06:11 PM
braves obviously do not want to win, 3 errors already

MOtorboat
10-05-2012, 06:58 PM
What a terribly shitty call by the umpires. I mean bush league, replacement refs-like call.

chazoe60
10-05-2012, 06:59 PM
What a terribly shitty call by the umpires. I mean bush league, replacement refs-like call.

What Happened?

MOtorboat
10-05-2012, 07:01 PM
What Happened?

They called infield fly on a pop fly way out in left field, and the ball dropped. It was the wrong, wrong call. It was also called late, which is the incorrect way to call infield fly. Infield fly HAS to be called early.

MOtorboat
10-05-2012, 07:07 PM
I can't believe I'm seeing a one-game playoff being played under "protest."

This is pretty crazy.

MOtorboat
10-05-2012, 07:08 PM
For scheduling purposes. They HAVE to rule on this quickly.

Of course Selig never thought of this scenario...shocker.

chazoe60
10-05-2012, 07:54 PM
For scheduling purposes. They HAVE to rule on this quickly.

Of course Selig never thought of this scenario...shocker.

Was the protest all about the inflield fly rule call?

MOtorboat
10-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Was the protest all about the inflield fly rule call?

Yes.

St. Louis did not lodge a complaint based on unplayable conditions, as far as know.

MOtorboat
10-05-2012, 08:02 PM
That catch by Kinsler was unreal there.

chazoe60
10-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Yes.

St. Louis did not lodge a complaint based on unplayable conditions, as far as know.
Was the crowd going insane or something? Damn, I left the house exactly at the wrong time it appears.

MOtorboat
10-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Was the crowd going insane or something? Damn, I left the house exactly at the wrong time it appears.

Throwing shit on the field.

MLB has upheld the result of the game.

WTE
10-05-2012, 08:32 PM
The infield fly rule call was one of the worst ever and will be talked about for a very long time b/c it was such a horrible call and extremely impactful to the game. It was awful!

The announcers can shame the Braves fans all they want for throwing debris on the field but I don't fault them one bit!

MOtorboat
10-05-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm pulling Coach, I'm pulling...

MOtorboat
10-05-2012, 09:59 PM
I can't believe TBS is peddling Bleacher Report.

That is unbelievably unprofessional.

OrangeHoof
10-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Really sweet to see the Braves and Rangers become the first teams to bow out with the new playoff format. Can't stand either or them. Braves fans show their class by emptying the stands of debris.

CoachChaz
10-06-2012, 01:50 AM
Glorious night spent in Arlington, watching my O's pull out a little more magic. I dont expect to go to the WS, but having been a fan for 30+ years, I have to say that no matter how it ends, this has been the most fun season I've ever witnessed.

CoachChaz
10-06-2012, 01:53 AM
Saw the replay stuff on the infield fly. Yes, there is some controversy. Being called late...being called by the LF umpire...being called 60 feet into the outfield.

But, per the infield fly rule...it can be called if the infield player is able to square his body towards the play. Kozma squared up...he just quit on it after that. So, technically...the call is right. Just shouldnt be called in that scenario. Rule needs to be ammended a bit

OrangeHoof
10-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Not so much amended as clarified in policy. I don't thing it changes the outcome though. The runners did advance and the next batter walked but Bourn struck out to end the inning and the next batter has roughly a 30% chance to extend the inning after that so the most likely consequence had the Infield Fly ruling not been applied is that the Braves would have been one run closer and lost, 6-4.

ShaneFalco
10-06-2012, 04:07 PM
mauahah Cardinals !!!!!!! go FREESE!

ShaneFalco
10-06-2012, 04:08 PM
The infield fly rule call was one of the worst ever and will be talked about for a very long time b/c it was such a horrible call and extremely impactful to the game. It was awful!

The announcers can shame the Braves fans all they want for throwing debris on the field but I don't fault them one bit!
oh stop.. Score was 6-3.

Chipper jones "That call did not cost us the game. "

MOtorboat
10-06-2012, 04:09 PM
oh stop.. Score was 6-3.

Chipper jones "That call did not cost us the game. "

It was 100 percent incorrectly called, and would have loaded the bases with one out, instead of two on with two outs.

Absolutely changed the game. And it was the wrong call.

Delay changed pitchers, swapped momentum. It was huge, no doubt about it. And it was blatantly bad.

ShaneFalco
10-06-2012, 04:11 PM
No it wasnt, it was just a delay in the call. Its a grey area in baseball. The only people harping about it, are the sore losers, and the people who hate the cardinals.

ShaneFalco
10-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Lets be clear

The 3 errors changed the game.

not the call.

MOtorboat
10-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Can you see what's wrong with this sentence?

The left-field umpire called the infield fly rule.