PDA

View Full Version : 9 Teams that should drop everything and go after Cutler

Northman
03-18-2009, 08:11 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Nine-teams-that-should-drop-everything-and-go-af?urn=nfl,145617

Nine teams that should drop everything and go after Jay Cutler

By MJD

I know the Broncos say that they don't want to trade Jay Cutler anymore, but as concerned members of the NFL community, I believe it's our duty to assume that they're lying. Because 1) they probably are, and 2) what else are we supposed to do with the offseason if we can't speculate about aggrieved players changing teams?

And it's rare that someone as young and as good as Cutler is even rumored to be on the trading block. Think about it: When's the last time you heard about a 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback even coming close to being traded?

That's why I think it's incumbent on any GM out there with a substandard quarterback situation to make a call to the Broncos. If they were willing to trade him last week, they'd be willing to trade him this week. I don't care what they say. The announcement about not trading him is designed only to soothe Jay Cutler's feelings.

I've come up with nine teams -- and there are probably more than that, but I decided to go the conservative route -- that should stop at nothing short of kidnapping to get Jay Cutler. Here we go, in no particular order:

Minnesota Vikings: I expressed a moderate amount of confidence in the pairing of Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels. And I'm not taking that back or anything; I still believe that between the two of them, maybe somewhere in there exists a quarterback who doesn't completely suck. Cutler's a few steps ahead of that, though.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Last year, they couldn't decide between Jeff Garcia and Brian Griese. It will be remarkable if they find a way to make next year worse, but that's the path they're on.

Tennessee Titans: Here's a chance to undo that whole "Hey, let's draft Vince Young" mistake. And yes, they just committed a lot of money to Kerry Collins, but come on ... if you get Cutler, you're getting someone who can be a cornerstone for the next 10 years. Collins gives you a middling quarterback for the next year or so. Cutler puts a whole new dimension into the offense.

Cleveland Browns: If they truly don't believe in Brady Quinn, they ought to do something about it.

Chicago Bears: They appear to be happy with Kyle Orton, which is not a view that I would endorse.

San Francisco 49ers: They seem to have a void at quarterback, but the more I look at their roster, the more I think Cutler wouldn't fit in with the team's "Let's not have any talent of offense" philosophy. Besides, I'm still holding out hope that Alex Smith turns into a superstar.

New York Jets: I haven't given up hope on Kellen Clemens by any means, but I'd rather have Cutler, who's way closer to a sure thing. And Bus Cook does know the way to the Meadowlands.

Detroit Lions: You can draft Matthew Stafford, and if everything goes as well as it possibly can (because that so often happens to the Lions), in three years, he'll look like what Cutler looks like right now.

Carolina Panthers: I like Jake Delhomme, but he's not getting any younger. For a team that's got just about everything else in place, it's worth looking into.

Related: , Tarvaris Jackson, Jay Cutler, Vince Young, Kyle Orton, Jeff Garcia, Brian Griese, Kerry Collins, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, New York Jets, San Francisco 49ers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tennessee Titans

Dirk
03-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Booooo! I just hate reading things about trading Jay. I hope it's not inevitable.

atwater27
03-18-2009, 08:18 AM
They forgot Jacksonville. They got a good defense, an amazing running back, and need a decent QB to get to the next level.

nthngd2say
03-18-2009, 08:41 AM
I don't see it happening not that the article isn't right that Cutler would be an upgrade at QB for all of those teams. Carolina has no cap space, I don't believe the Jets have much cap space now, Tennessee has a lot of $ invested in Collins and has Young, and the Vikings made the mistake of investing in Rosenfels and have Tarvaris. The Lions, 49ers, Bears, Browns and Bucs seem good cap-wise but do they have enough to package to us? John Clayton and Patrick Kirwan have both speculated multiple high draft picks would be required to get Cutler. The Bears and Bucs don't appear to be several players away from being consistent winners and maybe could work something out but the Lions, 49ers and Browns... can they afford to give up that much of their draft [or drafts] with so many holes to fill? Is either the 18th[Bears] or 19th[Bucs] picks in the draft enough value to build a package for Cutler around? In that scenario the Broncos wouldn't be able to draft Stafford or [gulp] Sanchez so the Bears or Bucs would have to work with another team to send us another QB unless the Broncos were comfortable with just Simms [which I would hope they are not]. I'm not saying a trade can't happen and the talk is interesting and maddening but the Broncos are going to ask a lot and barring a 3 or 4 team trade, I don't think most of the teams listed have enough to get us to part with Cutler. Unless Cutler ultimately decides to hold out. Even then, I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos didn't trade him especially if it was after the draft. Like I know though.

dogfish
03-18-2009, 09:35 AM
they forgot the broncos. . . . . :coffee:

tomjonesrocks
03-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Think about it: When's the last time you heard about a 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback even coming close to being traded?

Lucky us...:rolleyes:

skycoyote
03-18-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm sure they'll trade him to a AFC rival and then he'll kick our ass every year. lol

Denver Native (Carol)
03-18-2009, 10:18 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29737813/

All of a sudden, a lot of people are talking football in Chicago.

Rumors that the Bears could have a real shot at one of the league's hottest young quarterbacks, Jay Cutler, have re-energized Bears fans.

Cutler has asked the Broncos to release him, opening the possibility of Jay in a Bears uniform.

Sweet, but unlikely.

Still, local sports writers aren't going to let it go too soon.

The reasons to bring Cutlet to Chicago are "so obvious," according to the Chicago Tribune's David Haugh, "that it would be like starting a discussion about Chicago winters by pointing out that it helps to have a shovel."

"To sit idly by after Cutler officially has requested a trade from the Broncos would be professional negligence by the Bears," Haugh said, adding that Kyle Orton may still develop into a solid NFL quarterback, but Cutler already is one.

Further playing on his talent for analogy, he said, "This isn't simply a window of opportunity for the Bears; it's like the doors of an airplane hangar opening wide type of opportunity."

The Sun-Times sports writer Neil Hayes is willing to sacrifice Orton for Cutler.

"Two first-round draft picks and Kyle Orton. That’s what Bears general manager Jerry Angelo should offer the Broncos for quarterback Jay Cutler," Hayes wrote in Tuesday's edition.

BleacherReport.com states that, "Jay Cutler's arrival in Chicago would give an immediate boost to the fanbase and provide the team with a quarterback who already has a respectable track record."

And in a call from beyond the metropolitan area, the Rockford Register Star reads: "Cutler, who grew up in Indiana, wants to play for the Bears. Division rivals Detroit and Minnesota are other rumored landing spots for Cutler. Both are additional reasons for the Bears to be interested."

So, you may not have heard the last of Jay Cutler in Chicago. Or, maybe you have.

skycoyote
03-18-2009, 10:23 AM
If I was the Vikings I'd send Adrian Peterson here and take home Cutler. I believe the Vikes are a QB away from a deep playoff run.

nthngd2say
03-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Report: Broncos not entertaining trade offers Cutler
According to SI's Peter King, the Broncos are "hanging on to Jay Cutler and won't entertain discussion for him at this time."
The Broncos' current stance is to try to meet with Cutler sans agent Bus Cook, hoping the situation can be remedied. King believes the relationship is now beyond repair and that Cutler will be traded, with Denver's stance likely to change before the NFL Draft. King nominates the Bucs and the Jets as the "most fervent suitors." Mar. 18 - 11:12 am et
Source: SI.com
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/17/mail/index.html

I'm personally not a fan of King's but for now this reiterates that Cutler won't be traded unless you buy into the "relationship is beyond repair" schtick which I don't believe. Again, this assumes this article is accurate which most reports lately have not been.

Dirk
03-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Again, this assumes this article is accurate which most reports lately have not been.

Chaulk that statement up there with the candidates for understatement of the year! :salute:

Northman
03-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Report: Broncos not entertaining trade offers Cutler
According to SI's Peter King, the Broncos are "hanging on to Jay Cutler and won't entertain discussion for him at this time."
The Broncos' current stance is to try to meet with Cutler sans agent Bus Cook, hoping the situation can be remedied. King believes the relationship is now beyond repair and that Cutler will be traded, with Denver's stance likely to change before the NFL Draft. King nominates the Bucs and the Jets as the "most fervent suitors." Mar. 18 - 11:12 am et
Source: SI.com
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/17/mail/index.html

I'm personally not a fan of King's but for now this reiterates that Cutler won't be traded unless you buy into the "relationship is beyond repair" schtick which I don't believe. Again, this assumes this article is accurate which most reports lately have not been.

I think your missing the point of the article. Its not to say those teams ARE interested but that they SHOULD be interested. Who knows if anyone is trying to contact Denver right now but because of Jay's statement of wanting to be traded i can see why some teams would re-engage possible talks with McD and company. Doesnt mean he will trade him but if im Detroit i would seriously consider working something out with Denver. This is more of WHAT TEAMS SHOULD DO rather than what is happening.

nthngd2say
03-18-2009, 11:07 AM
I think your missing the point of the article. Its not to say those teams ARE interested but that they SHOULD be interested. Who knows if anyone is trying to contact Denver right now but because of Jay's statement of wanting to be traded i can see why some teams would re-engage possible talks with McD and company. Doesnt mean he will trade him but if im Detroit i would seriously consider working something out with Denver. This is more of WHAT TEAMS SHOULD DO rather than what is happening.

My original post must have been misleading but I did get the point of the article. I said at the beginning of my first post that Cutler would be an upgrade for all of the teams. I was just saying that just because he'd be an upgrade and the teams know Cutler would be, that it doubtful they will either give us what we want or have what we want. If the point of the article is just to discuss what teams should consider Cutler for the sake of upgrading their QB position... a lot more teams should be on that list. The Dolphins, the Jagwads, the Faiders, the Chefs [I think], the Texans [debatable to some], the Bengals [is Palmer ever going to be the same], the Bills, etc. That's just the AFC. Just my thoughts...