PDA

View Full Version : Krieger: Back up, cool off, hold on to Cutler

claymore
03-18-2009, 06:30 AM
Krieger: Back up, cool off, hold on to Cutler

And now, just to try something completely different, how about a little common sense?

If all the tough guys down at Dove Valley have gotten their ya-yas out, could we take a break from the posturing to examine this thing through the law of supply and demand?

Which is easier to replace, a 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback or a 32-year-old rookie coach?

No contest. There are thousands of football coaches out there who have never won an NFL game, hundreds with an NFL assistant's job on the resume, dozens with a coordinator's job.

At present, there are exactly three 25-year-old quarterbacks with a Pro Bowl on the resume. Eliminate the two who were injury replacements — Vince Young in 2007 and Derek Anderson in 2008 — and there is exactly one. His name is Jay Cutler.

So rather than throw up his hands in resignation as if this ill-advised soap opera is an act of God outside his control, perhaps owner Pat Bowlen should check his Dove Valley ID card. He's in charge. At least, that's what he keeps telling us. So here's a thought: Maybe it's time he acted like it.

He can start with this: Cutler not showing up for voluntary offseason workouts is not a big deal unless the Broncos make it one. If the Broncos can teach Cutler the meaning of the word "employee" by talking about trading him, Cutler can teach the Broncos the meaning of the word "voluntary" by not attending voluntary workouts. If it's a business, it's a business.

It's the Broncos, not Cutler, who elected to take the rah-rah out of it.

Contrary to popular belief, Cutler and Josh McDaniels don't have to love each other. They don't even have to like each other. As George Karl pointed out the other day, he and Kenyon Martin were at war three years ago. Now they're fine. Sometimes, everyone just has to chill.

Cutler is under contract for three more years. He could force the issue by refusing to show for mandatory camps, but he said he doesn't plan to do that.

Being outraged by the spoiled star athlete is more fashionable than usual these days, so feel free to take your shots, but Cutler is also the principal victim of a spate of rookie coaching mistakes.

Even if you have no problem with the merits of Cutler-for- Matt Cassel — and I do — McDaniels' first big boo-boo was not coming clean about it. As recently as Sunday night, he was still claiming "we were contacted multiple times about different scenarios," as if the Broncos were in a purely passive role, just answering the phone.

Earth to Josh: Almost no one believes that. Cutler has information that you approached the Bucs to gauge their interest in a potential three-way deal with the Patriots. The story doesn't make much sense any other way. Why would Tampa Bay approach Denver? What would make Bucs management think the Broncos' Pro Bowl quarterback was available? Why would New England call Tampa Bay to rustle up interest in a three-way deal when the Patriots were clearly happy with the deal they had in place with Kansas City, a deal they ultimately made?

This was the crux of the problem between McDaniels and Cutler. McDaniels was not truthful about his active pursuit of Cassel. By the time he finally admitted to Cutler on Saturday that he wanted Cassel, it was time to turn the page and assure Cutler they could go forward together. Unless, of course, McDaniels actually thinks he can improve upon Cutler with relative ease. If so, Bowlen needs to examine whether his own opinion of Cutler the quarterback has changed as dramatically as his organization's.

Let me just say this: In his first 37 starts, 54 touchdowns and 37 interceptions. And he's just getting the hang of it.

The Broncos' owner is older than his coach and his QB put together. His last chance to retain the guy he calls his "star quarterback" is to take the reins and hold them steady. Let tempers cool. Call the trade attempt and skipping the voluntary workouts a wash. Give everybody a month to settle down.

Just because McDaniels mishandled this episode does not mean the Broncos have to trade their franchise quarterback. Those guys are hard to find.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11936913

I like this write up allot. Its biased towards Jay I guess, but so am I. :D

nthngd2say
03-18-2009, 06:57 AM
The Broncos have said since the failed trade they won't trade Cutler. They said it right after the trade was leaked, McDaniels said it again on last Sunday night, and Xanders told Bus Crook it wasn't going to happen. McDaniels also said he didn't want to discuss trading Cutler as he'd like to try to work it out - not an exact quote but my summary.

I think unless Jay decides he is definitely done with the Broncos and specifically McDaniels, he will not be traded. McDaniels said, IIRC, that none of the offers for Cutler before were good enough to even make it to Bowlen's desk so any team interested in trading for him now would really have to give up a lot. I could be naive but I just don't see McDaniels parting with Cutler now that Cassel is not an option. I think McDaniels "Patriot Way" tells him his QB doesn't have to like him to win games together and he looks bad enough to the fans that he's not going to trade Cutler for anything short of a blockbuster deal. Again, I could be being naive.

Jay has also indicated he is still open to working this all out. Maybe he will realize that's he's made some mistakes as well. Cutler also said that he will attend mandatory OTA and show for training camp if he's not traded. That's leaving the door open. I understand that could change but I just don't believe Cutler will be traded.

Krieger makes no mention though that Bowlen has pretty much tied himself to McDaniels because he has committed $11 million to HC with Shanny's contract having to be paid. So the likelihood of McDaniels going anywhere soon is also slim it would seem. The situation has differences but many similarities to the George Karl/Kenyon Martin drama a couple seasons ago where both realized they were stuck with each other and while they might not like each other, they have a better relationship now. At least one that no longer seems to affect the team.

My point is, I doubt Cutler is going anywhere and until he is traded I hope to be able to judge Cutler and McDaniels by what they do on the field and hopefully they grow from their mistakes off of it. They are both young and lacking experience with such matters so I am hoping they learn from all this drama.

Dirk
03-18-2009, 07:16 AM
They are both young and lacking experience with such matters so I am hoping they learn from all this drama.

I think most of us feel this way. :salute:

Cutler is not a football God, but he is a star, period. If McD and he can work this out and if Jay can "learn" how to manage a game the way McD needs it to be managed in his system, Jay will flourish.

With Jay's ability to "make something happen" when nothing is there and McD's offensive schemes for when they are there, it could be a beautiful thing.

Again, all we can do is wait and see what happens. :coffee:

claymore
03-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Geez so many articles out there.

All things considered, it will take a considerable offer to land Cutler

Jay Cutler's remaining contract makes him even more valuable to any team that might be interested in trading for him.

The football topic that swamped the media last year was Brett Favre's relationship with the Green Bay Packers. The star quarterback finally wound up in a New York Jets uniform after months of speculation.

This year, center stage belongs to Jay Cutler, quarterback of the Denver Broncos (for now). Favre and Cutler have the same agent (Bus Cook), by the way, and that just adds to the intrigue surrounding this year's soap opera.

However, Cutler's case is much more interesting than last year's situation with the aging Favre. While Favre had no more than one or two years left in him when he departed from Green Bay, Cutler will be 26 years old on April 29 and could play for another 10 years.

Cutler can ride Bus out of Denver
The damage to Jay Cutler's relationship with Josh McDaniels and the Broncos is beyond repair, and a trade is the only solution to this problem, Vic Carucci writes. More ...

It is highly unusual that a player of Cutler's caliber is available for a trade in the NFL. Quarterbacks such as Chad Pennington, Kurt Warner and Drew Brees have switched teams in recent years and had success with their new clubs, but Cutler is younger than all of them. Therefore, let's take a look at his value, based on production, age and contract.

Before any team calls the Broncos to inquire about what it would take to acquire Cutler -- if Denver even really wants to trade him -- it must look at his production.

Cutler has numbers that seem to command a big price tag. Take a look at what he did in 2008 and consider that the Broncos' defense was ranked 29th overall and last in creating turnovers with just 13 takeaways. They were 30th in points allowed. Overall, they had 44 starts from rookies -- the second-highest total in the NFL behind a Kansas City Chiefs team that was in a full-blown youth movement. In contrast, the Pittsburgh Steelers had only one start by a rookie all season on their way to winning the Super Bowl.
Other interesting facts about Cutler:

» He guided the second-ranked offense in the NFL.

» He was No. 1 in fewest percentage of sacks, with 11 in 627 pass plays. That equates to one sack every 57 pass attempts.

» He was No. 3 in the NFL in third-down efficiency, the "money" down. The average NFL team converted 39.5 percent of its third downs; Cutler converted 47.5 percent.

» He was No. 3 in the AFC in yards per pass play (7.3).

» He threw for more yards than Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo and Ben Roethlisberger, to name a few.

» He had just two 100-yard rushing days from a running back all season: Peyton Hillis (129 against the Jets) and Michael Pittman (109 against the Jacksonville Jaguars).

» He had eight games of 300-plus passing yards (five of those at 350 or more), connecting for 15 touchdowns in those contests.

» Sure, he threw 18 interceptions, which is unacceptable, but his ratio of picks to attempts was 1:34, which tells a slightly different story. Last season, Brees had an interception every 37 pass attempts. Favre's ratio was 1:23, and Roethlisberger's was 1:31. Cutler's career ratio is 1:33.

» Only Jacksonville's David Garrard threw more passes in the fourth quarter of games than Cutler, who completed 100 of 167 passes for 1,212 yards and 11 touchdowns with just four interceptions.
Cutler is not a finished product, but when you consider his age, production (54 touchdown passes in 37 games) and contract, he has serious trade value. If Cutler is traded, the prorated signing bonus stays behind with Denver. Only his salary, workout bonus and likely-to-be-earned bonuses go to the new team.

Here's a look at Cutler's deal if the roster bonuses are to be paid:

Contract remaining if traded

Year Salary Roster bonus Workout bonus Cap number
2009 $1,035,000 $0 $100,000 $1,135,000
2010 $1,422,500 $4,000,000 $100,000 $5,522,500
2011 $1,810,000 $12,000,000 $100,000 $13,910,000

So, for $20.567 million, a team can acquire Cutler for three years ($6.86 million annually) and not have to come up with big money until 2011, when the $12 million roster bonus is due. That's a good deal for any team. Plus, it could then use a franchise tag on Cutler (assuming there will be franchise tags in the next collective bargaining agreement).

This year's draft class also must be factored into Cutler's value because he is young enough to play as long as any rookie can. The three top-rated quarterbacks -- Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman -- in the draft all are juniors, which involves risk. All three had fewer career starts in college than Cutler has in three pro seasons (37).

It will take time for any of these guys to develop in the NFL and, as we all know, coaches and front offices don't have the luxury of time. If Stafford is potentially the first pick in the draft, then Cutler is worth more than him on sheer football ability. Factoring in his age and tradable contract, Cutler is worth a second first-round pick.

This notion was confirmed Monday night when a former NFL general manager said to me: "Cutler goes for two No. 1 picks and a player, or he doesn't go at all."

Ask yourself this: How many teams would be better right away with Cutler under center? Detroit, San Francisco, Buffalo, Washington, the Jets, Chicago, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Seattle, Cleveland, Tennessee and St. Louis all have to entertain that question. As my retired GM friend said, "It only takes one team to realize it and a deal could get done."

Cutler hasn't helped himself with the way he has handled his situation in Denver. On the other hand, a new team might like that he's pressing the issue for a trade and will not even factor in what on the surface appears to be a maturity issue.

So, what would the Broncos do for a quarterback if Cutler is traded? That's an even bigger question and probably more difficult to answer. Do they turn to the draft picks? Do they insist on a quarterback in the trade as a short-term solution? Or do they step back and conclude that they just can't pull the trigger?

The kid from Santa Claus, Ind., would make a nice early Christmas present for some NFL team, but the Broncos may decide he's worth keeping under their tree.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f4df92&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

nthngd2say
03-18-2009, 07:47 AM
If the media and fans can come up with these stats I am assuming/hoping the Broncos also know this information. I assume several of these stats are why McDaniels didn't pull the trigger on the Cassel trade to begin with and why the Broncos will not trade Cutler. I have never personally thought that McDaniels doubts Cutler is a talented QB.
Barring Cutler saying he plans on not attending the mandatory mini-camps and training camp - so holding out - some resolution will be made. Things have quieted down lately for both sides and ultimately I believe cooler heads will prevail.

Superchop 7
03-18-2009, 11:14 AM
I hope he tells the Broncos to shove it.

getlynched47
03-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Its in our best interest to keep this star QB.....Cutler should stay :rockon:

WARHORSE
03-18-2009, 11:26 AM
I like this write up allot. Its biased towards Jay I guess, but so am I. :D

Its not biased towards Cutler. Its the smartest write up yet.

Northman
03-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Its not biased towards Cutler.

Of course not.

NightTrainLayne
03-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Its not biased towards Cutler. Its the smartest write up yet.

If Warhorse says it's the best write-up yet, then it's definitely biased towards Cutler. :D

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Denver27og
03-18-2009, 12:13 PM
The Broncos have said since the failed trade they won't trade Cutler. They said it right after the trade was leaked, McDaniels said it again on last Sunday night, and Xanders told Bus Crook it wasn't going to happen. McDaniels also said he didn't want to discuss trading Cutler as he'd like to try to work it out - not an exact quote but my summary.

I think unless Jay decides he is definitely done with the Broncos and specifically McDaniels, he will not be traded. McDaniels said, IIRC, that none of the offers for Cutler before were good enough to even make it to Bowlen's desk so any team interested in trading for him now would really have to give up a lot. I could be naive but I just don't see McDaniels parting with Cutler now that Cassel is not an option. I think McDaniels "Patriot Way" tells him his QB doesn't have to like him to win games together and he looks bad enough to the fans that he's not going to trade Cutler for anything short of a blockbuster deal. Again, I could be being naive.

Jay has also indicated he is still open to working this all out. Maybe he will realize that's he's made some mistakes as well. Cutler also said that he will attend mandatory OTA and show for training camp if he's not traded. That's leaving the door open. I understand that could change but I just don't believe Cutler will be traded.

Krieger makes no mention though that Bowlen has pretty much tied himself to McDaniels because he has committed $11 million to HC with Shanny's contract having to be paid. So the likelihood of McDaniels going anywhere soon is also slim it would seem. The situation has differences but many similarities to the George Karl/Kenyon Martin drama a couple seasons ago where both realized they were stuck with each other and while they might not like each other, they have a better relationship now. At least one that no longer seems to affect the team.

My point is, I doubt Cutler is going anywhere and until he is traded I hope to be able to judge Cutler and McDaniels by what they do on the field and hopefully they grow from their mistakes off of it. They are both young and lacking experience with such matters so I am hoping they learn from all this drama.

hope your right buddy!! reading this makes me feel a little better

Buff
03-18-2009, 12:30 PM
I hope he tells the Broncos to shove it.

Isn't that what he's been doing for the last 2 weeks?

getlynched47
03-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Isn't that what he's been doing for the last 2 weeks?

He's been telling McDaniels to put his head back up his own ass....but I hope Cutler doesnt get bitter at the entire organization :eek: