PDA

View Full Version : $40M in Projected Cap Space..Who Should Broncos Target?

vandammage13
02-21-2012, 04:37 PM
With a projected $40 million in capspace available in the FA period, what positions or particular players would you like to see us pick up?

I'd like us to get another WR, DB and some DL help.

WR Dwayne Bowe - Would be nice to see him on our side so we don't have to worry about him anymore. The guy knows how to catch the ball in traffic. As a contingency maybe target Lorrent Robinson.

DE Mario Willams - I don't know how likely he is to not resign with Houston, but I would love to see us make a run at him and put him opposite of Elvis. VonDoom+Mario Willams would be sick!! Contignecy would be re-signing Derrick Harvey, who I thought did OK when we picked him up.

DT Paul Soliai - This guy has developed into a beast in Miami. He might be a little pricey, but I think he's worth it because DT is one of our biggest needs. Contingency guy would be Antonio Garay from San Diego.

CB Courtland Finnegan - Champ and Goodman aren't getting any younger and Finnegan would fill the need. Sure, he's a dirty player, but I think his tenacity would bring some attitude to our Defense. As a contingency we could settle for LaDarius Webb from the Ravens.

Obviously we wouldn't be able to sign all of these marqee free agents, but I'd like to see us in the bidding for a couple of them.

UnderArmour
02-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Michael Griffin(LaRon Landry, Reggie Nelson as alternatives), Michael Bush, and Martellus Bennett as targets for starting jobs. Re-sign Broderick Bunkley, Wesley Woodyard, and Matt Prater. Draft for cornerbacks but I think we'll make a run at Carr.

Buff
02-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Obvious Madden GM is obvious.

Northman
02-21-2012, 04:51 PM
http://josefbrandenburg.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/fat-football-player1.jpg

vandammage13
02-21-2012, 04:52 PM
http://josefbrandenburg.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/fat-football-player1.jpg

Yes...Definitely sign him.

broken12
02-21-2012, 05:15 PM
P manning

CoachChaz
02-21-2012, 05:18 PM
With a projected $40 million in capspace available in the FA period, what positions or particular players would you like to see us pick up?

I'd like us to get another WR, DB and some DL help.

WR Dwayne Bowe - Would be nice to see him on our side so we don't have to worry about him anymore. The guy knows how to catch the ball in traffic. As a contingency maybe target Lorrent Robinson.

DE Mario Willams - I don't know how likely he is to not resign with Houston, but I would love to see us make a run at him and put him opposite of Elvis. VonDoom+Mario Willams would be sick!! Contignecy would be re-signing Derrick Harvey, who I thought did OK when we picked him up.

DT Paul Soliai - This guy has developed into a beast in Miami. He might be a little pricey, but I think he's worth it because DT is one of our biggest needs. Contingency guy would be Antonio Garay from San Diego.

CB Courtland Finnegan - Champ and Goodman aren't getting any younger and Finnegan would fill the need. Sure, he's a dirty player, but I think his tenacity would bring some attitude to our Defense. As a contingency we could settle for LaDarius Webb from the Ravens.

Obviously we wouldn't be able to sign all of these marqee free agents, but I'd like to see us in the bidding for a couple of them.

Based on your wants, if we are going for a team's #1...why not Colston. The Saints have a ton of people to pay. Might be hard making him one of them. I do like Robinson, but I like him as a #3. i think that's where Decker fits. At the end of the day, I prefer a vet #2. Manningham or Meacham would be nice.

Mario will want way too much. Money better spent elsewhere.

Soliai is a big man, but I want to see someone that can get inside pass perssure as well. I like Garay better, but I dont see SD letting him walk

Finnegan is an ass on the field, but a good guy off of it. Wouldnt hurt my feelings to sign him, but I'd prefer Grimes or Carr.

weazel
02-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Barry Bonds

TheReverend
02-21-2012, 05:27 PM
FWIW, cutting Goodman would require about a 1.9 million cap hit, but would save another nearly 9 million dollars in salary over the next two years.

PLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ASE

dogfish
02-21-2012, 05:27 PM
north, you better clean up that gut if you're planning to give colquitt any kind of serious challenge. . . .

GEM
02-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Did the Broncos notify the league if they are going to use the cap space they have available from last offseason? Some of the guys on the radio were saying that if they did, they would have approx. $50 mil.

Northman
02-21-2012, 06:01 PM
north, you better clean up that gut if you're planning to give colquitt any kind of serious challenge. . . .

Nah. That little bitch will get whats coming to him in drills. I just need to catch up with him first.....

SOCALORADO.
02-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Based on your wants, if we are going for a team's #1...why not Colston. The Saints have a ton of people to pay. Might be hard making him one of them. I do like Robinson, but I like him as a #3. i think that's where Decker fits. At the end of the day, I prefer a vet #2. Manningham or Meacham would be nice.

Mario will want way too much. Money better spent elsewhere.

Soliai is a big man, but I want to see someone that can get inside pass perssure as well. I like Garay better, but I dont see SD letting him walk

Finnegan is an ass on the field, but a good guy off of it. Wouldnt hurt my feelings to sign him, but I'd prefer Grimes or Carr.

Cut NoGoodman, then sign Colston or this guy.......
http://photos.signonsandiego.com/albums/080914broncos/NCbroncos290347x019.jpg

Give TT a legit No#1 nightmare for other teams. This would open it up for DT as well, and keep him from being double teamed. Having a VJackson or a MColston would allow all the other WRs alot of space, and would also allow them to continue to develop along with TT.

Then get this guy to play "QB" on defense. He already knows Fox defense, and was outstanding last year.
http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/connor_dan_090422.jpg

Get the secondary fixed with these 2.
http://www.49ers.com/assets/images/news/2011/08-August/081011-Goldson-Header.jpg
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/New+York+Giants+v+Washington+Redskins+UCfaBJBqBxjl .jpg
Play Golston at FS, and QCarter at SS, CB Terrell Thomas opposite Champ and wala! A real secondary!

VJackson and Golston will cost big bucks, but Connor and Thomas would be mid range FAs that wont break the bank.

Lancane
02-21-2012, 06:04 PM
I just want to know where the estimated 40 million in cap space came from, it's only a cool 10 plus million short of the actual numbers.

TheReverend
02-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Cut NoGoodman, then sign Colston or this guy.......

VJackson and Golston will cost big bucks, but Connor and Thomas would be mid range FAs that wont break the bank.

Obviously I'm in when any post even mentions Danny Connor :)

V Jacks is an interesting idea. He'll be expensive, but he's absolute a "go and get it" type of WR for deep balls which would truly play to the strength of our vertical passing game and help stretch the field for Decker if he ever learns to catch.

CoachChaz
02-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Did the Broncos notify the league if they are going to use the cap space they have available from last offseason? Some of the guys on the radio were saying that if they did, they would have approx. $50 mil.

I think you can only carry it for a year. If thats the case, then the 26 mil from last year will be included in the 50 mil total

GEM
02-21-2012, 06:09 PM
I just want to know where the estimated 40 million in cap space came from, it's only a cool 10 plus million short of the actual numbers.

Yep, that's what I heard as well. But I hadn't heard if the FO had confirmed with the league that they intended on using the money left from last year.

GEM
02-21-2012, 06:10 PM
I think you can only carry it for a year. If thats the case, then the 26 mil from last year will be included in the 50 mil total

DO IT ALREADY!!!!

They got some extra cash this year from the Tebow sales and the playoff games....******* use it already!!! :lol:

Lancane
02-21-2012, 06:50 PM
DO IT ALREADY!!!!

They got some extra cash this year from the Tebow sales and the playoff games....******* use it already!!! :lol:

No ****, next year they are going to have to spend 99% of the cap, if we rollover more cash flow into the pot known as our cap when that rule takes effect, that may well be near impossible.

But NFLN I believe reported that we have somewhere between 56 to 58 million in cap room, the Broncos are fourth or fifth in cap space. Tampa Bay I believe was atop the list with like 67 million.

GEM
02-21-2012, 06:51 PM
No ****, next year they are going to have to spend 99% of the cap, if we rollover more cash flow into the pot known as our cap when that rule takes effect, that may well be near impossible.

But NFLN I believe reported that we have somewhere between 56 to 58 million in cap room, the Broncos are fourth or fifth in cap space. Tampa Bay I believe was atop the list with like 67 million.

No wonder they don't have any players.....oh damn!!!! :laugh:

Sadly, same could almost be said for us. :(

dogfish
02-21-2012, 07:20 PM
No wonder they don't have any players.....oh damn!!!! :laugh:

Sadly, same could almost be said for us. :(

i think you'll see us re-sign half-a-dozen or so of our own (less expensive) free agents to start with, which will whittle that cap number down a bit. . . the team HAS to spend in free agency simply to field a roster, and elway has indicated they will be active this year. . .

of course, that doesn't mean we'll be going after top players-- but i'm pretty sure they won't ask fox to start five UDFAs this year. . .

edit: i can see us potentially re-signing prater, matt willis, chris clark, daniel fells, marcus thomas, jason hunter and mario haggan before FA begins. . . .

TheReverend
02-21-2012, 07:57 PM
i think you'll see us re-sign half-a-dozen or so of our own (less expensive) free agents to start with, which will whittle that cap number down a bit. . . the team HAS to spend in free agency simply to field a roster, and elway has indicated they will be active this year. . .

of course, that doesn't mean we'll be going after top players-- but i'm pretty sure they won't ask fox to start five UDFAs this year. . .

edit: i can see us potentially re-signing prater, matt willis, chris clark, daniel fells, marcus thomas, jason hunter and mario haggan before FA begins. . . .

+ Bunkley

AlaskaBronco
02-21-2012, 08:09 PM
VJax has talked a lot of smack about Denver he wont want to play for us especially in a run based offense.

Bowe would be a much better choice. Carr too. Would love to see both targeted especially to get them away from KC. Meachem or Colston will work if not Bowe. Ross or Grimes if not Carr.

Williams doesnt look like he will stay with the Texans they have small cap room and Foster is more important cause Watts was drafted and can replace Williams. If we cant get Williams i would like to see Avril.

Bush or Tolbert would be a nice add too.

LBS Tulloch Lofton or Wheeler i wouldnt mind seeing.

Finley or Davis at TE to add a safety net for Tebow.

Landry or Griffen at S.

Wanna see Bunk Re-signed, and Fanene from Cincinnati or Franklin from NO at DT.

Not to mention a lot of players i like we can get in the draft.

CoachChaz
02-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Lets just be the 2012 version of Philly.

Simple Jaded
02-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Peyton Manning.......

LTC Pain
02-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Peyton Manning.......

Denied!

Simple Jaded
02-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Denied!

Was it something l said?.......

iLands
02-22-2012, 01:40 PM
I want Carr and either Bush or BJGE, a vet QB, and at least one OL as FA acquisitions from outside the organization.

Is that reasonable?

Superchop 7
02-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Heres the deal,

We are not going to win a superbowl with our current QB situation.

So......the number one thing you try to do is build depth.

The reason?

Well......the other team is looking for mismatches.

We have the ability to "not" give them any.

Look......when we have some solid play at the QB position....I am all for getting a few big name players to take us over the top.

But for now......build a deep team first and keep yourself in a good position to get those type of players when the situation is warranted.

Also, look at your young core players now......extend their contracts......spending now will become a bargain later.

WARHORSE
02-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Im not sure everyone is remembering just ONE deal the NFL made with ESPN concerning Monday Night Football probably because the labor fight was topping the headlines.

But the NFL extended the deal with ESPN for a whopping 1.9 billion per year, a 73% increase over the prior deal per year.

Thats 73% friends.

And thats ONE deal, for Monday Night Football only.

Just for discussions sake, what does 1.9 billion per year calculate out to over 32 teams?

Oh......about $60 million.

Now we know it wont play out exactly like that, but still the ramifications of these types of deals are going to be far reaching.

Theres a reason the NFL is talking about London....18 games.....2 new franchises.

"No Money in the Bank" Bowlen is not so broke as people would have you believe.

Tebowmania.....two playoff games........the kickback from mega-TV deals...........extra cha-ching is ba-blinging in the corner pocket of Bowlens trousers.

And heres the kicker......Bowlen has always spent when the money was there.

I dont see any reason why it would be different, afterall, he said its his job to get the money to the table.

Its going to be very interesting.............:coffee:

turftoad
02-22-2012, 05:31 PM
M. Bush and Curtis Lofton would be a good start.

TheReverend
02-22-2012, 05:32 PM
M. Bush and Curtis Lofton would be a good start.

I doubt Lofton goes anywhere, but he sure would be one hell of a "get"

WARHORSE
02-22-2012, 05:42 PM
What kind of player would make the biggest difference on offense for us?

To me, its Mike Wallace. Speed to burn, Tebows long ball is a constant threat....pretty much leaves Deck and DT in a better position. Pittsburg runs the ball too, so its not like Wallace wont block.

A better RB of course would be the same.....but lets get some out of the draft.

Wilson is my man.

On defense, looking at whats available, Id say corner, DT and LB.

Any impact player at those positions would be a tremendous help imo.

turftoad
02-22-2012, 06:09 PM
I doubt Lofton goes anywhere, but he sure would be one hell of a "get"

Meh, just read something that said the Falcons wont over spend on on Lofton or Abraham.

Oh, here it is.

"Curtis Lofton and John Abraham are both stalwarts of Atlanta’s defense, but as free agency approaches, the Falcons seem willing to let both of them walk".

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/22/falcons-wont-overpay-to-keep-curtis-lofton-john-abraham/

G_Money
02-22-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm very interested in Lofton in the middle. THAT would solve a huge hole. Stealing a Saints WR would also be good.

Elway's quote about how we'll spend up to the cap, but will be counting all signing bonuses against this year's cap makes me leery of expecting too much from the Broncos in FA.

You sign a guy for 6 mil a year with 8 mil guaranteed and there goes a third of your "cap."

Because of so many short deals last year it's still a very loaded FA market. We just need to see what the Broncos will do to address needs, and whether they'll cough up funds for great players or chisel to get 2nd and third tier ones.

2nd tier players could still be an improvement. I just want to see the willingness to pay for that improvement.

~G

SOCALORADO.
02-23-2012, 09:40 AM
If Lofton is available, DEN should make every effort to sign that cat.
Jeez, that would just be ridiculous if ATL lets him walk. I could see Abraham, but Lofton!?!?! WTF!?!?!? idiots if they do that.
DEN should just throw stupid $$ at Lofton and VJack.
Saw on the bottom line that CNicks was quoted saying he should get more $$ than Jahari Evans got in 2010, which was 56 mil. So figure thats around a 60 mil contract.
As for MWallace, i would love for him to come over to DEN, however, i think VJack is 10 times as valuable as a WR to TT. Huge, overpowering, fast as hell, and catches everything thrown remotely in his vicinity. Wallace is a burner though.

TheReverend
02-23-2012, 10:53 AM
If Lofton is available, DEN should make every effort to sign that cat.
Jeez, that would just be ridiculous if ATL lets him walk. I could see Abraham, but Lofton!?!?! WTF!?!?!? idiots if they do that.
DEN should just throw stupid $$ at Lofton and VJack.
Saw on the bottom line that CNicks was quoted saying he should get more $$ than Jahari Evans got in 2010, which was 56 mil. So figure thats around a 60 mil contract.
As for MWallace, i would love for him to come over to DEN, however, i think VJack is 10 times as valuable as a WR to TT. Huge, overpowering, fast as hell, and catches everything thrown remotely in his vicinity. Wallace is a burner though.

$60 m SOUNDS like a huge figure, but spread over 7 years for one of, if not THE, best interior linemen in all of football with over 340 lbs packed behind his punch, it's not over-priced.

SOCALORADO.
02-23-2012, 11:38 AM
$60 m SOUNDS like a huge figure, but spread over 7 years for one of, if not THE, best interior linemen in all of football with over 340 lbs packed behind his punch, it's not over-priced.

Oh i am on board!
I say spend on Nicks and VJack, get some mid-range guys like Connor and Thomas.

SpringsBroncoFan
02-24-2012, 11:29 PM
VJax has talked a lot of smack about Denver he wont want to play for us especially in a run based offense.

Bowe would be a much better choice. Carr too. Would love to see both targeted especially to get them away from KC. Meachem or Colston will work if not Bowe. Ross or Grimes if not Carr.

Williams doesnt look like he will stay with the Texans they have small cap room and Foster is more important cause Watts was drafted and can replace Williams. If we cant get Williams i would like to see Avril.

Bush or Tolbert would be a nice add too.

LBS Tulloch Lofton or Wheeler i wouldnt mind seeing.

Finley or Davis at TE to add a safety net for Tebow.

Landry or Griffen at S.

Wanna see Bunk Re-signed, and Fanene from Cincinnati or Franklin from NO at DT.

Not to mention a lot of players i like we can get in the draft.

You asked for the hulk... aka freakshow.

Guess I should have cropped it... ooops... click on it to see... lol

Makes you wonder if Landry can actually run... :confused:

He's already a 5.6 mil cap hit and the skins may franchise him at 6.2 mil.

Tulloch is pretty expensive too at a current rate of 3.25 mil, hard to see that happening with Irving around.

CrazyHorse
03-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Mike Wallace.

Canmore
03-04-2012, 12:59 AM
Michael Bush.

Magnificent Seven
03-04-2012, 01:51 AM
I would go for DL Mario Williams. However, I am not sold on CB Courtland Finnegan because he would get many flagged for pass inferences. His attitude is horrible. Not worth. He would be perfect for Raiders.

It would be sick if Broncos have Elvis Dumervil, Robert Ayers, Bunkley, Ty Warren, and Mario Williams.

DenBronx
03-04-2012, 02:10 AM
I would go for DL Mario Williams. However, I am not sold CB Courtland Finnegan because he would get many flagged for pass inferences. His attitude is horrible. Not worth. He would be perfect for Raiders.

It would be sick if Broncos have Elvis Dumervil, Robert Ayers, Bunkley, Ty Warren, and Mario Williams.

Fox might be looking for the next best thing to Peppers and Mario fits that.

However, I think they would entertain trading Elvis or Ayers if they are targeting Mario. I like the idea of getting him because he isnt a one trick pony.

MOtorboat
03-04-2012, 10:04 AM
The news that they wouldn't give McGahee a little extra money with all the cap room really does have me a little worried.

turftoad
03-04-2012, 10:14 AM
The news that they wouldn't give McGahee a little extra money with all the cap room really does have me a little worried.

Not me Mo. Just tells that they will be bringing in another RB for sure to compete and share time with Willis. He will not do what he did last year IMO. Gonna be interesting though.

MOtorboat
03-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Not me Mo. Just tells that they will be bringing in another RB for sure to compete and share time with Willis. He will not do what he did last year IMO. Gonna be interesting though.

I doubt they bring in a free agent running back that is better than McGahee.

turftoad
03-04-2012, 10:31 AM
I doubt they bring in a free agent running back that is better than McGahee.

Maybe, maybe not. McGahee is getting long in the tooth and has had major injury in his past. I don't think they trust he will last a whole season as a feature back like he was last year.
I do think we bring in or draft someone that will carry the ball just as much if not more than McGahee this comming season. Thus not wanting to give him big bucks.

MOtorboat
03-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Maybe, maybe not. McGahee is getting long in the tooth and has had major injury in his past. I don't think they trust he will last a whole season as a feature back like he was last year.
I do think we bring in or draft someone that will carry the ball just as much if not more than McGahee this comming season. Thus not wanting to give him big bucks.

I think Denver drafts someone.

I will say it will be a lot easier to attract a free agent running back to Denver this year than some other positions.

turftoad
03-04-2012, 11:02 AM
I think Denver drafts someone.

I will say it will be a lot easier to attract a free agent running back to Denver this year than some other positions.

I agree. Like WR for instance. That said, I don't believe we need a top flight WR that makes big bucks. I think we have a good young WR corps. I would like to see us bring Eddie back as we do need some depth though. I'm not high on Willis (WR) at all except for his special teams play.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-04-2012, 03:53 PM
from article:

Before getting excited about the Broncos spending lavishly in free agency, though, consider that they will pay about $35.1 million to just three players — Elvis Dumervil ($14 million), Champ Bailey ($10.5 million) and Von Miller (10.6 million).

Included in Miller's compensation is $9.148 million of deferred signing bonus due March 31.

Add in the $5 million salary owed linebacker D.J. Williams, and the Broncos have $40.1 million allocated to just four players. That leaves them with about $80 million for the other 49 players on their active roster, an average of just $1.63 million per.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20097032

dogfish
03-04-2012, 05:14 PM
free agent wish list, not including our own FAs:

Benjarvus Green-Ellis
Mike Tolbert
Leron McClain
Robert Meachem
Pierre Garcon
Dan Connor
David Hawthorne
Tracy Porter
Aaron Ross
Michael Griffin

doubt we'll sign any of those guys, but that's my list-- the heart wants what it wants. . .

Jsteve01
03-04-2012, 05:21 PM

Benjarvus Green-Ellis
Mike Tolbert
Leron McClain
Robert Meachem
Pierre Garcon
Dan Connor
David Hawthorne
Tracy Porter
Aaron Ross
Michael Griffin

doubt we'll sign any of those guys, but that's my list-- the heart wants what it wants. . .

Good list dog

Simple Jaded
03-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Peyton Manning
Mario Williams
Calais Campbell
Carl Nicks
Ben Grubbs

If your heart wants for player the Broncos can't/won't sign how can your heart not want for these players? It's not like they don't have the cap space.......

dogfish
03-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Good list dog

gracias. . .

Peyton Manning
Mario Williams
Calais Campbell
Carl Nicks
Ben Grubbs

If your heart wants for player the Broncos can't/won't sign how can your heart not want for these players? It's not like they don't have the cap space.......

because my heart wants them to be wise with the cap space and get us some actual talented depth-- not put it all into one set of knees. . .

also, i think it's beyond crazy to pay a guy the kind of loot manning will require when he's pushin' forty with four neck surgeries in the past year. . .

capt. Jack
03-04-2012, 06:01 PM

Benjarvus Green-Ellis
Mike Tolbert
Leron McClain
Robert Meachem
Pierre Garcon
Dan Connor
David Hawthorne
Tracy Porter
Aaron Ross
Michael Griffin

I wonder what you're xmas list was like when you were a kid ? :-) But I like you're list!

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

dogfish
03-04-2012, 06:08 PM
I wonder what you're xmas list was like when you were a kid ? :-) But I like you're list!

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

just to be clear, i certainly don't expect or even want them to sign the entire list-- that's just my short list of FAs i'd be the most interested in. . . obviously, we're not going to sign tolbert AND mcclain-- but i'd love to go after one of them, or michael robinson. . . same for the DBs and WRs on the list-- you'd go after one, not all of them. . .

NightTerror218
03-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Dan Connor and Carl Nicks are the 2 I want the most. Next to that is a vet WR and a decent CB.

Nomad
03-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Dan Connor and Carl Nicks are the 2 I want the most. Next to that is a vet WR and a decent CB.

Why'd you change your name? NightTerror sounds like some corny late 70s horror flick or a wrestler from WWE. Your other name was from a fraternity?

NightTerror218
03-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Why'd you change your name? NightTerror sounds like some corny late 70s horror flick or a wrestler from WWE. Your other name was from a fraternity?

The other one was my college one and yes fraternity related. This one I have used since I was a kid and tried to just phase out Phidelt218 one. Most things had this one as my name. Reverted back and tried to have more continuity with my names then 2 different ones i also got confused with.

LTC Pain
03-05-2012, 05:23 PM
If the Broncos can get a premium CB, WR and O-line depth in Free Agency then I'm happy.

Buff
03-05-2012, 07:37 PM
I have rolled my eyes anytime someone suggested Mario Williams. And it's still such a tiny remote possibility that it's not even really worth discussing. EFX is on record saying they aren't going to break the bank in free agency. Plus we already have a ton of money locked up in Doom and a decent bit in Ayers' 1st round contract... So there isn't much money left to spend on DE.

But man... If we were ever going to go out and spend big $$ on a FA, Williams makes a lot of sense. It's only his 2nd contract. He is a dominant 4-3 DE. He has that rare speed/size combo, and he doesn't have the dreaded defensive line learning curve.

Like I said, it's never going to happen, but it doesn't seem quite as far fetched now that Houston franchised Arian Foster.