PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Shouldn't Trade Cutler-CBS4

getlynched47
03-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Good article.

http://cbs4denver.com/sports/cutler.broncos.mcdaniels.2.960981.html

The Broncos should not trade quarterback Jay Cutler.

At the moment, the relationship between Cutler and head coach Josh McDaniels seems so fractured that it is tempting to get rid of Cutler. But the Broncos should resist that temptation.

I'm sure that Denver could get an attractive combination of players and draft picks for Cutler, but the long-term best interests of the team, of Cutler and of McDaniels would be best served if this trade never happens.

Cutler's immaturity and McDaniels inexperience have proven to be combustible together, but that explosive power doesn't have to be a bad thing. Just as nuclear power can be used for good or evil, these two men can combine their incredible talents in a way that will make them both better professionals.

From the Broncos perspective, Cutler is a franchise quarterback with tremendous upside. Franchise quarterbacks are hard to come by, and when you've got one, the last thing you want to do is let him go. Cutler is one of the pillars around which the rest of the team can be built. Trading him would leave the Broncos worse off at the most important position on the field.

Keeping Cutler in Denver would serve his best interests, too, because it would force him to deal with a difficult situation rather than running away from it. Cutler's feelings were hurt by the Broncos' attempt to trade him, and his reaction has been immature, unprofessional and aggressive. Many people have said that Cutler needs to grow up, and I think that's a fair assessment.

My wife and I have a 5-year-old son named Malik, and he occasionally throws temper tantrums. We know that we can't reward his tantrums by giving him what he wants, otherwise he'll do it all the time. If we don't give in to him tantrums, he will eventually learn how to appropriately deal with disappointment.

It's clear that tantrums have worked for Cutler throughout his life, and he's never going to "grow up" until he starts bumping into problems that he can't resolve with tantrums. This is a critical moment in Cutler's maturation as a man and as a player in the business world of the NFL. If he is traded, then his tantrum worked, and he'll end up with another team where he's bound to throw another tantrum the moment that team does something that displeases him.

Forcing Cutler to stay with the Broncos will help him grow up, because he won't be able to run away from the target of his tantrum. He will have to make amends with McDaniels and they'll start working together. For Cutler to reach his full potential as a quarterback, he needs this emotional growth.

Keeping Cutler will serve McDaniel's best interests, because he won't have to live with the legacy of the guy who got his first head coaching gig, and promptly alienated the best player on the team before they'd ever even met.

McDaniels will be forced to address the mistakes that he's made with Cutler, and it will help him become a better coach. I don't believe that McDaniels had any malicious intent when he considered trading Cutler. But the thoughtless manner in which the trade talks were conducted reflects on McDaniels' inexperience. He didn't think about the ramifications that could develop if the trade fell apart and the media reported that he had attempted to shop Cutler.

That's a lesson learned for McDaniels. I guarantee you that the next time he considers trading a marquee player, he'll take much more care in how he communicates with that athlete.

So the reasons that Jay Cutler must remain at the helm of the Broncos offense can be summarized as a series of "can'ts": Denver can't afford to trade away its franchise quarterback; Cutler can't be enabled by having his tantrum pay off, and McDaniels can't start his first coaching gig by forcing out the team's best player.

Through all of this McDaniels is also getting a crash course in what it's like to be the head coach of the Denver Broncos. He came from the New England, and at this time of year the Red Sox dominate the news in Boston so no one is really thinking about the Patriots.

But in Colorado, the Broncos are the state religion. No matter how good a season the Nuggets, Avalanche or Rockies are having, if the Broncos sneeze, the entire state says, "God bless you!"

Highlighted in red...i found that pretty funny. But I never thought of it that way :lol:

Shazam!
03-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Agree. This thing has reached critical mass as I've said many times the past two days. Both guys ?!@#ed up. Both sides need to sit down and talk about expectations, give Cutler what he wants and move on to winning in 2009.

Northman
03-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Yes, they shouldnt trade him and they've stated that their not.

skycoyote
03-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Agree. This thing has reached critical mass as I've said many times the past two days. Both guys ?!@#ed up. Both sides need to sit down and talk about expectations, give Cutler what he wants and move on to winning in 2009.

Yes you have--your right. I was on board with ya on the fire Shanny thing, but I was pissed when they hired McD. I still believe they should have hired Spagnuolo or Ryan. BTW: I've been with this team since 1977. :salute:

Requiem / The Dagda
03-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Yes he should.

getlynched47
03-17-2009, 10:08 PM
:tsk:......at this situation.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-17-2009, 10:09 PM
I love it. We're gonna get rid of Cutler and get cool draft picks. Everybody wins.

lex
03-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Good article.

Highlighted in red...i found that pretty funny. But I never thought of it that way :lol:

Yeah, just like Ghostbusters taught us that crossing the streams can be both good and bad, so to is leaving Cutler and McDaniels on the same team. Who would have known Ghostbusters was so wise? Seriously, this article is some corny shit.

Greatspirits
03-17-2009, 10:17 PM
I strongly believe that McDaniels thinks that Cutler is not the future QB for his offense. If thats the case he will be gone. Guaranteed!

UnderArmour
03-17-2009, 10:20 PM
I love it. We're gonna get rid of Cutler and get cool draft picks. Everybody wins.

Except the Broncos in the 2009 NFL season.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Except the Broncos in the 2009 NFL season.

Face it. We were gonna suck even with Cutler at the helm. No way D-Boy Cutler (Diabetic Boy, Douche Boy, Degenerate Boy, Dummyhead Boy) was gonna own up on our competition. Plus everything from scheme, personnel and coaching changes. . . it was gonna be a rough one.

I was looking forward to a 6-10 season and a top ten draft choice. Now with Cutler on his way out, I get to see Chris Simms eat snot, cry on the field and lead us to an impeccable 3-13 record. Welcome to the Top 3.

lex
03-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Face it. We were gonna suck even with Cutler at the helm. No way D-Boy Cutler (Diabetic Boy, Douche Boy, Degenerate Boy, Dummyhead Boy) was gonna own up on our competition. Plus everything from scheme, personnel and coaching changes. . . it was gonna be a rough one.

I was looking forward to a 6-10 season and a top ten draft choice. Now with Cutler on his way out, I get to see Chris Simms eat snot, cry on the field and lead us to an impeccable 3-13 record. Welcome to the Top 3.

How could you mention all that without acknowledging that he might injure another organ and/or die? Today spleenless, tomorrow kidneyless.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Because that would show a lack of tact and class. I'm not about that. Plus, my kidney's are hurting because I have kidney disease. It must be a "Chris" thing, since we both have some deficiency in that area. God forgive me if I ever poke fun at someone else's medical disabilities. Oh shit, Chris lost his spleen?

GEM
03-17-2009, 10:28 PM
How could you mention all that without acknowledging that he might injure another organ and/or die? Today spleenless, tomorrow kidneyless.

Way to show some class. :rolleyes:

lex
03-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Way to show some class. :rolleyes:

Its cool. Its an inside joke.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Facts are facts. Lex was just being a realist. There is an old adage that goes something like, "The truth hurts." -- Well, it hurts for Chris in multiple ways. I'm going to be right back after I go to the corner store and pick up some snacks to go with my beer. This is going to be a long evening of Cutler/Simms bashing. Buckle up everyone.

GEM
03-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Facts are facts. Lex was just being a realist. There is an old adage that goes something like, "The truth hurts." -- Well, it hurts for Chris in multiple ways. I'm going to be right back after I go to the corner store and pick up some snacks to go with my beer. This is going to be a long evening of Cutler/Simms bashing. Buckle up everyone.

I thought you couldn't drink due to the health issues?

Requiem / The Dagda
03-17-2009, 10:33 PM
I thought you couldn't drink due to the health issues?

I was strongly advised not to. However, I've been on a drinking binge for about a month. I'm looking to die early and on my own accord. If I get smashed by a semi crossing the street to get Gardetto's let it be known that access to this account is given to Claymore.

GEM
03-17-2009, 10:37 PM
I was strongly advised not to. However, I've been on a drinking binge for about a month. I'm looking to die early and on my own accord. If I get smashed by a semi crossing the street to get Gardetto's let it be known that access to this account is given to Claymore.

Goofball...you can't go and die on us....we would be down a white rapper. :D *giggles*

lex
03-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Because that would show a lack of tact and class. I'm not about that. Plus, my kidney's are hurting because I have kidney disease. It must be a "Chris" thing, since we both have some deficiency in that area. God forgive me if I ever poke fun at someone else's medical disabilities. Oh shit, Chris lost his spleen?

Yeah, it was a comment about Chris Simms being sans spleen. I made it in the same tongue in cheek tone that you did when you made a comment about Cutler not being able to find his medication in Detroit. It wasnt directed at you.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah, it was a comment about Chris Simms being sans spleen. I made it in the same tongue in cheek tone that you did when you made a comment about Cutler not being able to find his medication in Detroit. It wasnt directed at you.

Lol, dude I know. Keep up the good work. I love what you do.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Goofball...you can't go and die on us....we would be down a white rapper. :D *giggles*

I will always be here in spirit. Goodbye cruel world.

lex
03-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Lol, dude I know. Keep up the good work. I love what you do.

Cheers!

hamrob
03-17-2009, 11:18 PM
I strongly believe that McDaniels thinks that Cutler is not the future QB for his offense. If thats the case he will be gone. Guaranteed!Whatever. Jay Cutler could play in and excel in any offense. He has what very few QB's...perhaps what only a few QB every 20 yrs or so have...that all around everything talent. He can make all the throws, he can run, he can move in the pocket, he can lead, he's a 62% passer and he's tough as nails. If Mickey-D doesn't think he fits his system...hes a flatout moron!

Jay Cutler will be in the HOF one day...McDaniels will not.

For those folks...who think that the Broncos can just trade Jay anywhere...they're wrong. All Jay has to do is hint that he'll hold out. Teams want a happy Jay Cutler...so they'll either have to give him a new deal...with lots of money...or it will have to be a team of his choice. Right now...he holds all the cards.

The best thing the Broncos can do...is try to make peace and not trade him. He's already said he wouldn't miss mandatory sessions.

Pat Bowlen's legacy...if he has one...is blowing in the wind!

WARHORSE
03-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Sounds like we have a winner.

getlynched47
03-18-2009, 11:18 AM

Broncos dont want draft picks in return for Cutler...they want a star QB. They arent gonna get that.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/17/mail/index.html

A source close to one team that has inquired with the Broncos about the unhappy quarterback tells me the Broncos have told them they're hanging on to Cutler and won't entertain discussions for him at this time.

YEAH!!

Requiem / The Dagda
03-18-2009, 11:22 AM
I bet that changes at the Owner's Meetings.

claymore
03-18-2009, 11:24 AM

Go out like a man in Grandmas Car.

getlynched47
03-18-2009, 11:34 AM
I bet that changes at the Owner's Meetings.

I hope it doesnt...

broncofaninfla
03-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Good article.

Good stuff, thanks!

TXBRONC
03-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Yes, they shouldnt trade him and they've stated that their not.

I'm disappointed in both sides of this mess. But one thing I will say in McDaniels defense he is smart enough to realize he can't trade Cutler if wants to win any time soon. I think realizes if were to do that an not find a franchise quarterback who could replace Cutler he more than likely would not last long.

This thing only reaches critical mass is Cutler is foolish enough not come in to mandatory workouts.

getlynched47
03-18-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm disappointed in both sides of this mess. But one thing I will say in McDaniels defense he is smart enough to realize he can't trade Cutler if wants to win any time soon. I think realizes if were to do that an not find a franchise quarterback who could replace Cutler he more than likely would not last long.

This thing only reaches critical mass is Cutler is foolish enough not come in to mandatory workouts.

I will find new found respect for McDaniels if he doesnt give in to temptation and trade Jay Cutler.

Keep Cutler here...once we start winning games it will all blow over.

Simple as that...

TXBRONC
03-18-2009, 02:24 PM
I will find new found respect for McDaniels if he doesnt give in to temptation and trade Jay Cutler.

Simple as that...

If McDaniels does trade Jay away, he better hope he can find a quarterback talented enough to do the job otherwise it will be :wave: within a few years.

getlynched47
03-18-2009, 02:26 PM
If McDaniels does trade Jay away, he better hope he can find a quarterback talented enough to do the job otherwise it will be :wave: within a few years.

If he trades Jay Cutler...I'm ready for the return of Shanahan or a new head coach after we endure the upcoming 5-11 season :woot:

;)

TXBRONC
03-18-2009, 02:31 PM
If he trades Jay Cutler...I'm ready for the return of Shanahan or a new head coach after we endure the upcoming 5-11 season :woot:

;)

No matter how any of us feel about McDaniels would more than likely get more than one year to prove himself.

omac
03-18-2009, 02:55 PM
No matter how any of us feel about McDaniels would more than likely get more than one year to prove himself.

Cool! I love how that worked out for KC with Herm. Plus, they were able to trade one of the best young players at his position. :D

TXBRONC
03-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Cool! I love how that worked out for KC with Herm. Plus, they were able to trade one of the best young players at his position. :D

Jared Allen netted them a boon of picks.

omac
03-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Jared Allen netted them a boon of picks.

True, but look at what they lost. As a team last season, the Chiefs had a total of 10 sacks. When they had Allen, he gave them 15.5 sacks. He gave the Vikings 14.5 sacks last season.

Also, in 2007 when they had Allen, the Chiefs passing defense was ranked 5th in the league; when they traded him, they went all the way down to 28th last season.

Picks might turn up good, but losing a proven player in his prime is something that can really hurt your team.

I think we agree, should Cutler get traded, we should at least have a proven player in his prime to go with the draft picks; draft picks alone are a crap shoot.

TXBRONC
03-18-2009, 03:55 PM
True, but look at what they lost. As a team last season, the Chiefs had a total of 10 sacks. When they had Allen, he gave them 15.5 sacks. He gave the Vikings 14.5 sacks last season.

Also, in 2007 when they had Allen, the Chiefs passing defense was ranked 5th in the league; when they traded him, they went all the way down to 28th last season.

Picks might turn up good, but losing a proven player in his prime is something that can really hurt your team.

I think we agree, should Cutler get traded, we should at least have a proven player in his prime to go with the draft picks; draft picks alone are a crap shoot.

Exactly, they ended up with a butt load of picks but they ended up the worse for it.

NightTrainLayne
03-18-2009, 04:00 PM

Simple as that...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

That's all he's said since this hit the news. In every possible setting he's said that they would not be trading Cutler.

But that didn't stop you from developing 10 different "McNames" for him.

Now if he does what he's said he'd do for the last two weeks you'll have new found respect for him?

:confused:

omac
03-18-2009, 04:12 PM

That's all he's said since this hit the news. In every possible setting he's said that they would not be trading Cutler.

Now if he does what he's said he'd do for the last two weeks you'll have new found respect for him?

If you caught your wife trying to cheat on you, it didn't push through, she denied it ever happened, then admitted that she tried, but that it won't happen anymore, but she has to be open to offers anyway, would that be okay for you? :D

NightTrainLayne
03-18-2009, 04:27 PM
If you caught your wife trying to cheat on you, it didn't push through, she denied it ever happened, then admitted that she tried, but that it won't happen anymore, but she has to be open to offers anyway, would that be okay for you? :D

No, that wouldn't be o.k., but I don't believe that is what McDaniels did.

BTW.. . Cutler and McDaniels don't have a romantic relationship either, at least not that I'm aware of.

Magnificent Seven
03-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Country still writing about Cutler

March 18, 2009 1:33 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The Jay Cutler saga continues to capture the imagination of the country.

News outlets from all over the league continued to cover the fascinating story out of Denver. Of course, the coverage was connected to local teams and whether or not the local teams should pursue Cutler, who has asked to be traded from Denver.

Let's get caught up on the Cutler-centric coverage around the NFL:

Chicago

Chicago Sun-Times

Chicago Sun-Times

Dallas

Dallas Morning News

Dallas Morning News

Detroit

Detroit News

Michiganlive.com

Houston

Houston Chronicle

Miami

Palm Beach Post

Minnesota

Minneapolis Star Tribune

New York Jets

New York Times

New York Post

Newsday

Philadelphia

Philadelphia Daily News

Tennessee

Nashville Tennessean

Washington

Washington Post

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1801/Country-still-writing-about-Cutler.html

getlynched47
03-18-2009, 06:03 PM

Remember...McDaniels is a liar.

He might say that he will not trade Cutler...but then he might do it.

If he ultimately decides not to trade Cutler, meaning that Cutler is still here after the draft...I will have new found respect for him.

McDipShit
McDumbass
McDoofus
McFail
McDork
McD-Bag
McDope
McRetard

I counted 8 :coffee:

getlynched47
03-18-2009, 07:59 PM

unfortunately :lol:

spikerman
03-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Joaquin Phoenix is just waiting to take his place. Don't turn your back on him, Dream.