PDA

View Full Version : Rick Reilly

NameUsedBefore
03-17-2009, 01:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/reillygofish

Denver Broncos QB Jay Cutler is getting jerked around like a Shetland Pony at a six-year-old's birthday party.

Just to recap: Incredible young talent leads team to second-rated offense in the league last year. Has seven 300-plus yard games and one 400-plus yarder. Does it all while going through seven different running backs and a defense with more holes than a Tyler Perry plot. Makes the Pro Bowl. Becomes the leader of the team.

Then his coach gets fired. Then the guy calling his plays leaves town. Then he finds out his new coach -- a 32-year-old rookie -- is shopping him for a trade. In the NFL, if you're thinking of shopping your star, you better not get caught.

But the Rookie got caught.

Only The Rookie lies about it -- says he was only "listening to offers." Then, in a face-to-face with Cutler, the coach flip-flops. Says, "Yes, we were trying to trade you, so what?" Cutler gets torqued and says so. The world starts calling Cutler a "baby" and reminds him that "this is a business."

But now Cutler sees he's not wanted, can't trust his coach and is no longer the leader in his teammates' eyes. So his career is suddenly dropping like GE stock. His ability to perform has been shredded. So he says, "Trade me," and now he's spoiled? He needs to shut up and take it? How come it's a business for everybody but Cutler?

claymore
03-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Nailed it.

NameUsedBefore
03-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Nailed it.

I bet Reilly's great in bed.

DenBronx
03-17-2009, 01:10 PM
spot on. great article...couldnt have said it any better.

BroncoNut
03-17-2009, 01:12 PM
If those are the facts, and if I were in Jay Cutlers shoes, I'd retaliate by being a pain in the ass.

Buff
03-17-2009, 01:15 PM
I love Reilly, but I think he has gone off the deep end on this one--

But now Cutler sees he's not wanted, can't trust his coach and is no longer the leader in his teammates' eyes. So his career is suddenly dropping like GE stock. His ability to perform has been shredded. So he says, "Trade me," and now he's spoiled? He needs to shut up and take it? How come it's a business for everybody but Cutler?

Cutler is not unwanted, if he was, he would have been traded already. He is obviously valued, maybe not as much as he'd like to be, but we could have swung some trade for him by now if he was unwanted. His teammates don't think any less of his abilities because they've been on the field with him and they know how he can perform. His ability to perform has not been shredded. No one is ripping his abilities...

Oh by the way, the kid's already collected well over $10 million from this franchise in 3 years... So, to demand a trade is absolutely spoiled. He absolutely needs to shut up and take it just like everyone else in America would have to if they perceived their boss has slighted them.

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Reilly...just like any other reporter/writer/fan can only write based on his assumption of what happened.

claymore
03-17-2009, 01:18 PM
I love Reilly, but I think he has gone off the deep end on this one--

Cutler is not unwanted, if he was, he would have been traded already. He is obviously valued, maybe not as much as he'd like to be, but we could have swung some trade for him by now if he was unwanted. His teammates don't think any less of his abilities because they've been on the field with him and they know how he can perform. His ability to perform has not been shredded. No one is ripping his abilities...

Oh by the way, the kid's already collected well over $10 million from this franchise in 3 years... So, to demand a trade is absolutely spoiled. He absolutely needs to shut up and take it just like everyone else in America would have to if they perceived their boss has slighted them.

If Cutler wants to be great..... Lingering on McDaniels team doesnt do him any good. If McDaniels wanted to trade him yesterday, he will want to trade him tomorrow.

MadMax
03-17-2009, 01:40 PM
How come it's a business for everybody but Cutler?

This is the part that kind of ticks me off, the problem is that Cutler is making TERRIBLE business decisions, by leaking all this stuff to the press he has destroyed his trade value, he's pulling all this when he is under contract for three years. If he holds out he will lose millions of dollars and still not be able to play elsewhere. If Cutler were treating it like a business we wouldn't have heard one pipsqueak out of him and he would just be telling the Broncos trade me now because I'll never resign with you.

Buff
03-17-2009, 01:46 PM
If Cutler wants to be great..... Lingering on McDaniels team doesnt do him any good. If McDaniels wanted to trade him yesterday, he will want to trade him tomorrow.

Well, that depends on who you're more inclined to believe. I think that's just the impression Jay has created from being a drama queen.

McDaniels wasn't looking to trade him for the best deal he could find--he specifically wanted Matt Cassel. When that opportunity went away, so did the trade talks. Cutler's side has been drawing this out ever since (though, granted, McDaniels could have done more to tend to his bleeding vagina.)

shank
03-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Well, that depends on who you're more inclined to believe. I think that's just the impression Jay has created from being a drama queen.

McDaniels wasn't looking to trade him for the best deal he could find--he specifically wanted Matt Cassel. When that opportunity went away, so did the trade talks. Cutler's side has been drawing this out ever since (though, granted, McDaniels could have done more to tend to his bleeding vagina.)

my vagina would bleed too if i heard my head coach wanted a less talented player to take my place after many talks about building a strong relationship...

Buff
03-17-2009, 01:51 PM
my vagina would bleed too if i heard my head coach wanted a less talented player to take my place after many talks about building a strong relationship...

Well, luckily, your $48 million contract should allow you to buy plenty of tampons.

NameUsedBefore
03-17-2009, 01:54 PM

Well, Josh lied to Cutler.

And if what Cutler says is true about the meeting, that Josh essentially told him he'd do it again if given the chance and that he's still looking out for offers, then screw McDaniels. The time has passed for such bullshit, IMO. McDaniels got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and he has done absolutely nothing to help mend the situation.

Seriously, all Josh had to do was go, My bad, let's get on with the season. But no, he keeps ****ing going on with it. Blame Cutler all you want, but I have a hard time believing Cutler is being a bitch for no reason.

shank
03-17-2009, 01:54 PM
we all bitch that athletes make too much money, but then use it as an excuse for why they aren't allowed to feel betrayed? it's not cutler's fault that rookie contracts are ridiculously huge.

Buff
03-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Well, Josh lied to Cutler.

And if what Cutler says is true about the meeting, that Josh essentially told him he'd do it again if given the chance and that he's still looking out for offers, then screw McDaniels. The time has passed for such bullshit, IMO. McDaniels got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and he has done absolutely nothing to help mend the situation.

Seriously, all Josh had to do was go, My bad, let's get on with the season. But no, he keeps ****ing going on with it. Blame Cutler all you want, but I have a hard time believing Cutler is being a bitch for no reason.

I think he had a reason to be mildly upset about McDaniels being disingenuous in his comments to the media... And like I said, Josh should have done a better job tending to his bleeding vagina... Even if he didn't mean it, he should have just blown smoke up Jay's ass to make him happy.

But Jay has taken this too far. He could have taken the high road and swallowed his pride at any point... The part that really pisses me off is how filthy rich the Broncos have made him, and yet, he acts like the Broncos owe him something. It's that sense of entitlement that pisses me off.

shank
03-17-2009, 02:06 PM
I think he had a reason to be mildly upset about McDaniels being disingenuous in his comments to the media... And like I said, Josh should have done a better job tending to his bleeding vagina... Even if he didn't mean it, he should have just blown smoke up Jay's ass to make him happy.

But Jay has taken this too far. He could have taken the high road and swallowed his pride at any point... The part that really pisses me off is how filthy rich the Broncos have made him, and yet, he acts like the Broncos owe him something. It's that sense of entitlement that pisses me off.

normally i would agree with you buff, because i hate when people have an unecessary sense of entitlement, which is VERY common in today's world... but again, it's not cutler's fault that he has made so much money so far.

also, i feel like the broncos in a way DID owe cutler something. He was very close to shanny and bates and both were 'taken' away from him. after coming to terms with both of those losses, McD thought about taking away 'everything' from him. jay felt he was in the hole after losing his two mentors and then was almost betrayed so that McD could have his mentee instead of him.

i don't think cutler EVER intended to have it get this far, but the mishandling of the situation by coach and a dash of probable manipulation of a young, emotional guy by bus cook has left us on the brink of ******.

NameUsedBefore
03-17-2009, 02:09 PM

There is no entitlement here and being "filthy rich" isn't an argument when you're talking about such a huge business. McDaniels is being as big of a bitch as anyone. It could not be any easier to just say I screwed up, but he is absolutely refusing to do so.

Instead he's blowing up the only good thing about the team. Is that a good coaching job? To walk into a team and just utterly destroy the only thing good about it? Some around here seem to think so.

Cutler has already said the moves to trade him do not bother him. It is the dirty lying and McDaniels refusal to get on the same level that is grinding his gears. McDaniels has not gotten behind Cutler once yet. Instead he keeps playing the mini-dictator and doing his best Belichick impression without having even earned the right to do so yet.

Flatinum
03-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Big Deal. For every "pro Jay" article there's a "Jays being a suckhole article".

Bottom line Jaysus is not bigger than the team or the organization. Although he probably thinks he is. He's done nothing to this point to crown himself King of Denver. He and his scumbag agent (who by the way has been in the middle of several other - player vs team scuffles) want to leave town so ship them both out and move on.

Buff
03-17-2009, 02:22 PM
I fully acknowledge McDaniels could have handled this better...

But I just feel that somewhere along the way Cutler blew this out of proportion and as I hear more quotes from both sides, I question Cutler's motives. NTL made a post about this yesterday, which I agree with--

"It's hard to believe we're sharing the same intentions and can have such different interpretations of the meeting,''

This quote from McDaniel's speaks volumes. Mainly because whichever side of the debate you fall on, it's truthful. Likely the most truthful statement we've heard from either side.

If both sides had the same intentions they certainly wouldn't have such vastly different interpretations of what happened. That is 100% bona-fide, certifiable, truthful, honest, fact.

One side has made statements regarding what they said: McD, Xanders & Bowlen have made several statements regarding what they said to Cutler, and they all seem pretty consistent as they should.

The other side has made statements characterizing what they feel the other side said: Cutler and Cook have made several statements saying what they think the FO said to them (e.g. "they don't want me"), but that conflicts totally with they way the Broncos put it.

Why is it that Cutler/Cook aren't telling us what they said? Why do they concentrate on trying to weave the story of what the Broncos told them, and it disagrees totally with the accounts of three different people?

I don't know why, but if you ask me about who is being dishonest here, it is tilted much more toward Cutler/Cook than it is McDaniels, but they do both share in the blame for this, I'm not letting McD off the hook here. It was handled poorly to begin with, but at some point Cutler's got to man up, and live with integrity, or go someplace else.

Den21vsBal19
03-17-2009, 03:18 PM
It doesn't matter if he stays or goes, for his own good, he needs to stop talking to the press, and work his butt off.

One of two things will happen then, he'll either convince McDaniels that he's the right player for his system, and earn himself a nice new deal........................or he'll be in a better position to command a top contract when he's traded................and make no mistake, that part is in his hands...........if we don't trade him this year, then we'll have to next year if he refuses and extension...................

Alternatively, he can do things half assed, & continue conducting things via the press, and harm his own reputation..............

Maybe appropriately for a QB, the ball is now in his hands, it's upto him to make the right decision..................

red98
03-17-2009, 03:25 PM
I fully acknowledge McDaniels could have handled this better...

But I just feel that somewhere along the way Cutler blew this out of proportion and as I hear more quotes from both sides, I question Cutler's motives.

Cutler is making one 3rd the money Simms will this year. He wants the
Broncos to prove their love by paying him.

Nothing else makes sense to me. McKid screwed up by considering the trade
(IMHO), but since then the Broncos have said publicly the are not trading him.

Jay is the one refusing to come to the table on this, because he wants paid.

I hope they pay him too.

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Cutler is making one 3rd the money Simms will this year. He wants the
Broncos to prove their love by paying him.

Nothing else makes sense to me. McKid screwed up by considering the trade
(IMHO), but since then the Broncos have said publicly the are not trading him.

Jay is the one refusing to come to the table on this, because he wants paid.

I hope they pay him too.

If it's about the money, then why not admit it?

It's just coincidence that Simms makes more due to Cutler's AGREED contract

BigDaddyBronco
03-17-2009, 03:37 PM
It doesn't matter if he stays or goes, for his own good, he needs to stop talking to the press, and work his butt off.

One of two things will happen then, he'll either convince McDaniels that he's the right player for his system, and earn himself a nice new deal........................or he'll be in a better position to command a top contract when he's traded................and make no mistake, that part is in his hands...........if we don't trade him this year, then we'll have to next year if he refuses and extension...................

Alternatively, he can do things half assed, & continue conducting things via the press, and harm his own reputation..............

Maybe appropriately for a QB, the ball is now in his hands, it's upto him to make the right decision..................
Why are Cutler/Cook still talking to the press? At this point he has asked to be traded and we shouldn't hear any other leaks coming from the Cutler camp until he is either traded or he has decided to make peace with the Denver brass. If we continue to hear more about it then it is pretty safe to say that the Cutler camp is stroking the fire to push the Broncos to trade him or make a new deal. Then it is pretty obvious (to me) that this is Cutler/Cook jumping on a mistake by McDaniels/Xanders to get more money. Nothing wrong with that (regular business in the NFL), but let's no play the victim card anymore Jay.

I mean, I would rather have Cutler come out and say, "Hey, they tried to trade me and now the say they want me, prove it, let's sign a new long term deal and lock me up for the next 8 years." He would force the Broncos hand without taking as big of a reputation hit.

red98
03-17-2009, 03:41 PM
If it's about the money, then why not admit it?

It's just coincidence that Simms makes more due to Cutler's AGREED contract

I guess it's just politics that keeps him from admiting it.

I agree it's just coincidence and we all know Jay has already been paid like 10million so far.

The Broncos could just do nothing and Jay will have to refuse to play/report or fall in line, he's under contract.

But then we have to listen to all the speculation and BS for rest of the off-season.

On the other hand, if none of this had happened Jay would most likely have been extended next off season anyway so might as well pay him now, end the BS and get on with fixing the D.

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 03:45 PM
I guess it's just politics that keeps him from admiting it.

I agree it's just coincidence and we all know Jay has already been paid like 10million so far.

The Broncos could just do nothing and Jay will have to refuse to play/report or fall in line, he's under contract.

But then we have to listen to all the speculation and BS for rest of the off-season.

On the other hand, if none of this had happened Jay would most likely have been extended next off season anyway so might as well pay him now, end the BS and get on with fixing the D.

I cant argue with any of that, but let's look at it from an alternate perspective.

Let's assume McD Is on the up and up and Jay is quite simply misinterpreting the language used in these conversations. Regardless of talent, would you jump at the chance to throw tons of money at a QB that is undoubtedly talented, but extremly immature without showing signs so far of growing up? A guy that could be a HOF QB, but could also be a head case?

I guess if I were Denver and I have been honest about everything, I'd have to wait and see if cooler heads could prevail before I made that committment.

claymore
03-17-2009, 03:52 PM
I cant argue with any of that, but let's look at it from an alternate perspective.

Let's assume McD Is on the up and up and Jay is quite simply misinterpreting the language used in these conversations. Regardless of talent, would you jump at the chance to throw tons of money at a QB that is undoubtedly talented, but extremly immature without showing signs so far of growing up? A guy that could be a HOF QB, but could also be a head case?

I guess if I were Denver and I have been honest about everything, I'd have to wait and see if cooler heads could prevail before I made that committment.

Assuming McD is/has been on the up and up... Jay cutler is being a bish and taking some poor advice.

Assuming Cutler is /has been on the up and up... McDaniels is a real SOB, and I dont like his methods. He better be one hell of a coach to make up for his shortcomings when it comes to personel.

Assuming its somewhere in the middle... Bowlen needs to force the meeting. Even if it takes Xanders, and Mcd and Bowlen jumping on the plane to go see Cutler.

red98
03-17-2009, 03:53 PM

That's probably exactly how it will play out too. I really don't see him being traded.

But as a fan I'm impatient and it's hard to speculate on who our new NT is going to be with all this going on! :D

chazoe60
03-17-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm with Reilly on this one. McD stepped in it big time on this one. Sorry, but why in the **** does McD think the offense needs this overhaul? Give me a break. So far McD is looking a lot more like the BB that coached the Browns than the one who presides over the Pats. I sure as hell hope he proves a lot of us wrong and goes on to win SBs and whatnot, but it's getting off to a pretty shitty start.:mad:

fcspikeit
03-17-2009, 04:12 PM
This is the part that kind of ticks me off, the problem is that Cutler is making TERRIBLE business decisions, by leaking all this stuff to the press he has destroyed his trade value, he's pulling all this when he is under contract for three years. If he holds out he will lose millions of dollars and still not be able to play elsewhere. If Cutler were treating it like a business we wouldn't have heard one pipsqueak out of him and he would just be telling the Broncos trade me now because I'll never resign with you.

He is making a backups wage. The Broncos can afford to keep him on.. The only way they will trade him is if he gets the truth out and brings all the negative attention down on McDaniels..

If Cutler is looking at this as just a business, it appears to be in his best interests to get out of here. Get paid a bigger contract and play for a coach that wants him.

The Broncos will have to pay Simms backup more then they are paying Cutler right now.. This could go down as the worst head coach hiring of all time! :tsk:

fcspikeit
03-17-2009, 04:15 PM

Don't forget the best part Shank... That less talented player they wanted to trade you for was going to be paid 14 + MILLION dollars while you were working for just over 1 Million. :laugh:

Buff
03-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Saying that Simms is making more than Cutler this year is an absolutely horrible, illicit comparison.

Cutler will make $48 million over the life of his deal, so to act like he is being slighted due to pay is just inaccurate. And laughable really. Significant portions of his pay come at the beginning and end of the deal because that's how teams manage the salary cap.

fcspikeit
03-17-2009, 04:26 PM

They will not be able to replace Cutler without paying someone more then they were paying Cutler... I don't care how rich they made him, Another team will make him even richer ;) While the Broncos pay Simms backup more then they were going to pay Cutler this year...:laugh:

Another thing, why should Cutler have to swallow his pride to preserve the relationship yet McDaniels isn't required to say I ****** up, lets move past this? Instead he says I'm not sorry for trying to trade you, and people accept that because he's the coach :shot:

red98
03-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Saying that Simms is making more than Cutler this year is an absolutely horrible, illicit comparison.

Cutler will make $48 million over the life of his deal, so to act like he is being slighted due to pay is just inaccurate. And laughable really. Significant portions of his pay come at the beginning and end of the deal because that's how teams manage the salary cap.

Not really.

The fact is that if you include this year (2009), Cutler will have been paid a total of 12 million for 4yrs or 3million a yr on average.

The money due in the last year or 2 of any contract are usually never paid.

Either the player is really good and gets a new contract that pays him big money, or the player sucks, and restructures for less cash or gets cut.

Buff
03-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Not really.

The fact is that if you include this year (2009), Cutler will have been paid a total of 12 million for 4yrs or 3million a yr on average.

The money due in the last year or 2 of any contract are usually never paid.

Either the player is really good and gets a new contract that pays him big money, or the player sucks, and restructures for less cash or gets cut.

We're just on two completely different planets if you're laying out the case for a Jay Cutler contract extension that involves a raise.

Edit: I guess it wasn't all that far fetched a month or two ago--but after this whole ordeal, I could not justify giving him a pay increase under any circumstances.

NameUsedBefore
03-17-2009, 04:34 PM
We're just on two completely different planets if you're laying out the case for a Jay Cutler contract extension.

If the option is to do something we eventually will or let him go, I'll go with the former ;)

Only in a black and white world, of course.

fcspikeit
03-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Why are Cutler/Cook still talking to the press? At this point he has asked to be traded and we shouldn't hear any other leaks coming from the Cutler camp until he is either traded or he has decided to make peace with the Denver brass. If we continue to hear more about it then it is pretty safe to say that the Cutler camp is stroking the fire to push the Broncos to trade him or make a new deal. Then it is pretty obvious (to me) that this is Cutler/Cook jumping on a mistake by McDaniels/Xanders to get more money. Nothing wrong with that (regular business in the NFL), but let's no play the victim card anymore Jay.

I mean, I would rather have Cutler come out and say, "Hey, they tried to trade me and now the say they want me, prove it, let's sign a new long term deal and lock me up for the next 8 years." He would force the Broncos hand without taking as big of a reputation hit.

I think he should demand more money, the Broncos say they want him they should have to prove it.. Getting more money might not be enough though,, He could be completely fed up with McDaniels shit..

Also, Most here would crucify Cutler if he said that, they surly wouldn't respect him for it..

red98
03-17-2009, 04:37 PM
We're just on two completely different planets if you're laying out the case for a Jay Cutler contract extension.

Just saying the last 2yrs of a contract usually don't come in to play.

I'm positive that Jay want's an extension or a trade so he can paid.

Buff
03-17-2009, 04:39 PM
If the option is to do something we eventually will or let him go, I'll go with the former ;)

Only in a black and white world, of course.

Yeah, I shouldn't have acted like the idea of a raise is so absurd-- they guy has played pretty well all things considered...

I am just against rewarding his behavior. He deserves a swift kick in the ass alot more than he deserves a raise at this point.

fcspikeit
03-17-2009, 04:39 PM

If Jay was misinterpreting the language Cook would have to be doing the same.. If Cook is just about wanting more money, offering Cutler a new contract is what they have been wanting to hear.

Therefore if we agree with giving him a new deal, everything gets solved..

red98
03-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Edit: I guess it wasn't all that far fetched a month or two ago--but after this whole ordeal, I could not justify giving him a pay increase under any circumstances.

Well it would at least be prudent for the Broncos to see what happens over the
next few weeks before making that commitment. (thanks coachchaz)

Buff
03-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Just saying the last 2yrs of a contract usually don't come in to play.

I'm positive that Jay want's an extension or a trade so he can paid.

Yeah, and you're 100% correct on both points. Which is what pisses me off even more. If there weren't millions of dollars at stake, both sides would have kissed and made up a long time ago. What is Bus Cook's incentive for patching things up? If one exists, I'm not aware of it.

red98
03-17-2009, 04:43 PM
I am just against rewarding his behavior. He deserves a swift kick in the ass alot more than he deserves a raise at this point.

I agree with this. But I want him to stay more.

fcspikeit
03-17-2009, 04:45 PM

None of that changes how much he was going to make for playing this year. Next year they would have to pay him more, but even then, it's far less then Probowl QB's make..

He is getting under paid.. That wasn't a problem until McKid tried to trade him.. That really crosses the line. It's one thing to be getting under paid but it's entirely another to not be appreciated while being under paid.

BigDaddyBronco
03-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I shouldn't have acted like the idea of a raise is so absurd-- they guy has played pretty well all things considered...

If I'm McDaniels and the issue is whether to give Cutler a new deal or play wait and see, I would be inclined to play wait and see. It is completely feasible that Cutler will be lights out in McDaniels system, but what if he still throws too many interceptions? Jay has a better arm than Brady, but Brady is more accurate and has a better feel for where his players will be. Maybe you don't need the great arm to be a really good QB in McDaniels system, so why pay for it and be unhappy with what you paid.

Now, since Bowlen is a drunk and probably doesn't know where his money is going, you might just give Cutler the big contract and eat it if it doesn't turn out ok. I don't know. :D

Buff
03-17-2009, 04:50 PM
None of that changes how much he was going to make for playing this year. Next year they would have to pay him more, but even then, it's far less then Probowl QB's make..

He is getting under paid.. That wasn't a problem until McKid tried to trade him.. That really crosses the line. It's one thing to be getting under paid but it's entirely another to not be appreciated while being under paid.

See. This is crazy. I understand the logic behind your argument--By NFL Pro Bowl QB standards, he is underpaid.

But by virtually any other standard of comparison, he is grossly overpaid. And when you start to factor in leadership and intangibles, he practically owes money. (Then we could debate whether or not he deserved to be in the pro bowl.)

I flatly reject the notion that Cutler is underpaid.

NightTrainLayne
03-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Cutler's contract provides for $1 million give or take guaranteed this year, but there are a ton of incentives.

If he plays here next season and has anything even close to last season I believe that we are on the hook for closer to $4 million this year. I can't remember where I read that, but to assume that Cutler would only earn $1 million this year as our starting QB is absurd. That is a worst-case scenario and would require him to either not play, or play pretty poorly.

shank
03-17-2009, 06:15 PM
even if cutler is set to make 4 million during this next year, he's a pro bowl quarterback, and probably wants to be paid like one. i don't agree with it because he signed a contract, but contracts don't mean much in the NFL anymore it seems...

kurt warner made 8 million last year
drew brees made 5 million
eli made 9.95 million
peyton made 11.5
favre made 12 million

the only pro bowl QB making less than cutler was collins, a backup entering the season...

(philis, an arguable pro-bowler, made 9.4 mill)

(total salaries from USAtoday.com)

Buff
03-17-2009, 07:36 PM
If I'm McDaniels and the issue is whether to give Cutler a new deal or play wait and see, I would be inclined to play wait and see. It is completely feasible that Cutler will be lights out in McDaniels system, but what if he still throws too many interceptions? Jay has a better arm than Brady, but Brady is more accurate and has a better feel for where his players will be. Maybe you don't need the great arm to be a really good QB in McDaniels system, so why pay for it and be unhappy with what you paid.

Now, since Bowlen is a drunk and probably doesn't know where his money is going, you might just give Cutler the big contract and eat it if it doesn't turn out ok. I don't know. :D

It's a dilemma. And like red was saying, even if he doesn't deserve it, maybe you just do it because paying him beats losing him. I guess alot of it comes down to how much faith they have in Chris Simms as a stopgap.

BigDaddyBronco
03-17-2009, 07:49 PM
It's a dilemma. And like red was saying, even if he doesn't deserve it, maybe you just do it because paying him beats losing him. I guess alot of it comes down to how much faith they have in Chris Simms as a stopgap.
Well, let's not kid ourselves. We are not going to do much until our defense gets much better, so it doesn't matter much anyway.

red98
03-17-2009, 08:30 PM
Well, let's not kid ourselves. We are not going to do much until our defense gets much better, so it doesn't matter much anyway.

This team won 8 games last year with a super crappy D and a banged up running corps.

I should hope McKid and company can improve the D enough in one
off-season to get 2 more wins at least.

Otherwise why even get rid of shanny?

Before this little spat I felt confident that McKid could come in and toughen up ths team and build a solid D and special teams.

It could still happen if Cutler stays. If he's gone that's gonna set us back for sure.