PDA

View Full Version : Scheff to bills for DT mccargo???

underrated29
03-17-2009, 12:23 PM
This is what is being reported over at BM. They have no link but said they heard it on Sirius.

I know some of you have those inside connections, or post at the mane with people who do. Any validation to this?

PS-John McCargo? I know the name- is he any good? Atleast he is a DT

honz
03-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Who the hell is McCargo? Fire McDummy!

JONtheBRONCO
03-17-2009, 12:27 PM
I thought he was a pretty big disappointment in Buffalo...

claymore
03-17-2009, 12:28 PM
If we fail, lets fail large.

MadMax
03-17-2009, 12:31 PM
From Wikipedia... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCargo)

Buffalo Bills

Many draft experts considered McCargo a late-2nd or early-3rd round pick before the 2006 NFL Draft. Because of this, many people were shocked when the Bills traded up to select him 26th overall.

McCargo spent most of the 2006 season on injured reserve. He passed out at training camp his rookie season, mainly because he had to run difficult drills in hot weather at his 300-pound frame. He was the second string defensive tackle behind Larry Tripplett in 2007,[1] and played in all 16 games.

On October 14, 2008, McCargo was traded to the Indianapolis Colts. The trade was voided and he was returned to the Bills the following day after McCargo failed his physical.

His stats from Espn... (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9612) aren't impressive either, there better be a draft pick in there too is all I'm saying.

Buff
03-17-2009, 12:31 PM
I remember when the Bills took McCargo in the 1st round and everyone thought they were overreaching. I don't remember ever seeing or hearing anything that would indicate he's proven anyone wrong.

weazel
03-17-2009, 12:33 PM
McCargo is the dude they tried to get rid of all last season and noone would take him. McDaniels is horrible. This is getting ridiculous

McDaniels is a sabateur who is going to destroy anything that is good on this team, then he will quickly slither away once he is done. Bowlen will then be begging Shanahan to come back and try to repair the damage. This is disgusting.

UnderArmour
03-17-2009, 12:34 PM
They tried to trade him to the Colts but the trade voided because of a physical... If we're not getting a pick too we just got ripped off bad.

MadMax
03-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Might I add that although as of late I have begun to favor McD's side in the Jay Cutler debacle, now might not be the best time to trade away his favorite butt buddy for a draft bust who's never started a game. Uggg I'm really beginning to think this is some sort of celestial payback for taking pleasure in the dismay of Browns and Lions fans for so many years.

honz
03-17-2009, 12:38 PM
It's just a rumor guys...let's wait to see if it's actually true before we rip McDaniels a new one.

Buff
03-17-2009, 12:39 PM
It's just a rumor guys...let's wait to see if it's actually true before we rip McDaniels a new one.

Exactly. I think it's another one of the "throw shit against the wall and hope it sticks" rumors too... Looks to be totally speculative--

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/140376-tony-scheffler-to-buffalo-broncos-could-be-exploring-trade-for-receiving-te

ProFootballTalk.com is reporting that Bus Cook, the agent representing Denver Broncos tight end, Tony Scheffler, is currently in Buffalo for unknown reasons.

Coincidentally, Cook is also the agent for disgruntled Broncos quarterback and Scheffler's best friend, Jay Cutler.

It is unknown whether Cook is in Buffalo on Cutler's terms or Scheffler's, but I'll be willing to bet it's not about Jay.

The Denver Post, also reported it last week, that Denver was exploring trade options for Scheffler, who was a no-show at the team’s offseason meeting today,

If Denver was to trade Scheffler, it is unknown what they would receive in return.

Scheffler is a very good receiving tight end that has had a series of injuries in his time with Denver. He would be an excellent addition for Buffalo, who recently lost tight end Robert Royal to the Cleveland Browns.

Possible compensation for the tight end could include defensive tackle John McCargo and a fourth or fifth round pick or a combination of McCargo, picks, and/or wide receiver Steve Johnson.

McCargo would likely be the centerpiece of any trade, and at 6'2”, 307 lbs. would be a great fit at defensive end in the Broncos' new 3-4 defense.

CoachChaz
Good grief. Can we save the insane bashing for when the trade actually happens.

MadMax
As long as we are speculating here, this trade does make sense if there's a good draft pick or two in it. Since it's obvious Buffalo has been trying to move him for a while I could see us giving them Scheffler and sweetening the pot by taking McCargo's contract off their hands in exchange for good enough picks.

weazel
03-17-2009, 12:40 PM

nope, Im ready for rippin! LOL

jrelway
03-17-2009, 12:41 PM
wow. hope this is just a rumor. giving up scheff for this guy is a mistake waiting to happen. i think more of the blame has to be on xanders. wtf is he doing?

claymore
03-17-2009, 12:41 PM
I hope it happens. If it does then there is no hiding Xanders and McDaniels inept leadership and personnel decision making skills.

Sheffler will forever be a martyr.,

DenBronx
03-17-2009, 12:42 PM
yeaahhh i cant wait till our whole offense is destroyed!!!!!!!!!

more more more more!!!

:coffee:

underrated29
03-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Yes. remember there is no link and it just what someone supposedly heard on Sirius.

I just made the thread to see if anyone else can confirm of deny this, since most here are more in the know than i am...

Lets wait a little bit before we eat mcd up...But if its just a strait up swap, and this guy is as bad as everyone claims then i will be super upset....Its like the jamie kennedy signing all over again.

DenBronx
03-17-2009, 12:43 PM
war sheffler!!!

MadMax
03-17-2009, 12:43 PM

Because by the time that happens we'll already be crucifying McDaniels for the third or fourth next rumored trade he might make. Duh.... :D

LRtagger
03-17-2009, 12:44 PM
The only reason this guy's name is even being brought into rumor discussions is because he is the most likely player Buffalo would try to move. This is pure speculation. I am willing to bet money there is no real source for this rumor.

Dirk
nope, Im ready for rippin! LOL

:lol::lol:

I'm with Chaz on this...let's wait and see if there is really any trade or truth to it. Who knows why the infamous Bus is there.....

DenBronx

you still dont think mcdaniels shit stinks do you?

dogfish
that would blow, i hope it's not true-- not for a 4th or 5th. . .

i actually really liked mccargo as a prospect, but he's mostly been a flop in the NFL. . . and he was touted as more of a one-gap penetrator type, which indy trying to get him would seem to bear out. . .

ikillz0mbies
03-17-2009, 12:45 PM
If Scheffler gets traded, I'm willing to bet he gets injured stepping off the plane and spends the season on IR.

DenBronx
03-17-2009, 12:46 PM
this will really push cutler over the edge now.

buffallo is coming on pretty strong this offseason. that offense is going to be pretty dangerous if lynch doesnt get too long of a suspension.

omac
03-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Wow, if the Bills pull this off, they'll have Marshawn, TO, Evans, and Scheffler; talk about weapons! To top this great feat, all they need to do next is trade Edwards and some picks for Jay. I'm pretty sure McDaniels would be fine with Edwards, and Denver could do worse if they do want to offload Jay.

MadMax
03-17-2009, 12:47 PM
If Scheffler gets traded, I'm willing to bet he gets injured stepping off the plane and spends the season on IR.

If it's one of those smaller planes with steps instead of a ramp, they're screwed.

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 12:49 PM

No...I still hold the stance that I HAVE NO CLUE if it does because...like you...I dont know all the details.

One person says one thing...another says something different and in the middle the truth lies. Show me proof of the middle and I'm on board. Until then, I want Jay to shut the hell up and want to see what McD does actually coaching.

MadMax
03-17-2009, 12:51 PM
So also tell me this, they say Marcus Thomas can't play DT in the 3-4 and would have to move to defensive end, but Marcus Thomas is an inch taller and about 5 pounds heavier then McCargo. So if we really did want him, what would it be for?? Another DE project?

cuzz4169
03-17-2009, 12:51 PM
I live in buffalo and I heard scheff for mcgaro & a 5th

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 12:52 PM
This is a writer/reporter that hears Bus is in town. he knows Denver is rumored to be wanting to trade something Buffalo needs and Buffalo definately wants to trade something Denver is percieved to need, so he runs with it.

When it becomes more than that...let me know

MadMax
03-17-2009, 12:55 PM

It really doesn't matter, he is the coach and he is not going anywhere. For better or worse he will be here for at least the next three years. If you've already convinced yourself he's a failure your in for some long seasons.

DenBronx
03-17-2009, 12:56 PM
I live in buffalo and I heard scheff for mcgaro & a 5th

awfull trade!

wtf happened to the goodmans?

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 12:56 PM
I can see it now. Cutler gets traded, the Broncs win 10 or more games and make the playoffs and every thread will be...

"We could have done better with Cutler...McDickhead needs to get fired"

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 12:57 PM
awfull trade!

wtf happened to the goodmans?

Yeah because we need injured TE's more than defensive linemen

DenBronx
03-17-2009, 12:57 PM
It really doesn't matter, he is the coach and he is not going anywhere. For better or worse he will be here for at least the next three years. If you've already convinced yourself he's a failure your in for some long seasons.

i think we all are. get ready for a 4-12 season.

btw, i have seen coaches fired after 1 year.

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 12:58 PM

While you're at it...can you tell me which college will accept my daughter, Nostradamus?

MadMax
03-17-2009, 01:00 PM
I can see it now. Cutler gets traded, the Broncs win 10 or more games and make the playoffs and every thread will be...

"We could have done better with Cutler...McDickhead needs to get fired"

All kidding aside, that's why this whole situation is so perilous, it's exactly what happened with Favre last year. If they lose a bunch it's because he's gone, if they win a bunch it would have been better with him there. Anything short of a Superbowl would be twisted into a failure.

DenBronx
03-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Yeah because we need injured TE's more than defensive linemen

yeah because we need a 5th rounder and a bust for a tight end that can make plays.

keep drinking mcdummys KOOL AID.

nthngd2say
03-17-2009, 01:01 PM
I would say it's plausible that Cook is in Buffalo trying to gauge interest for Scheffler but to assume that the Broncos have already discussed any sort of compensation is purely speculation. Is the suggestion that Cook is there on the Broncos behalf facilitating a trade then?

I liked Scheffler, when he played, but he's missed 17 total games over three seasons, is a poor blocker and other than stretching the field, he's only had a couple of very good games. He's going to be looking for a new contract next season and we'd risk getting nothing for him so getting a player and a draft pick is better than no compensation I think. McCargo and a 5th seems high to me for an inconsistent/injury prone TE who can't block with potential but I don't really know Scheffler's worth - likely depends on the buyer. I would rather get something for Scheffler than have him walk. He supposedly doesn't fit the new offensive scheme anyways.

DenBronx
03-17-2009, 01:02 PM
While you're at it...can you tell me which college will accept my daughter, Nostradamus?

if she thinks cutler should stay im going to say harvard.

MadMax
03-17-2009, 01:03 PM

btw, i have seen coaches fired after 1 year.

I have too and it's always a mistake, it's why everyone is convinced the Raiders are doomed to failure and Al Davis has lost his mind. This isn't the local McDonalds we're dealing with here, billion dollar organizations do not stop on a dime.

omac
03-17-2009, 01:03 PM
So also tell me this, they say Marcus Thomas can't play DT in the 3-4 and would have to move to defensive end, but Marcus Thomas is an inch taller and about 5 pounds heavier then McCargo. So if we really did want him, what would it be for?? Another DE project?

Great point. I guess were gonna trade Scheffler's TD and big play ability for some DE depth and a 5th rounder. Yeah, sounds like a good trade for Denver. :rolleyes: Hope for the best if it pushes through, I guess.

honz
03-17-2009, 01:04 PM
When did oft injured pass catching TE's become so valuable? This is the same guy everybody rips on for not being able to stay on the field. If Shanny had traded Scheff would there be near this much outrage? Fore some reason I don't think so.

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 01:05 PM
if she thinks cutler should stay im going to say harvard.

We ALL want Cutler to stay...just not if this is what we can expect from him every time there is a misunderstanding

DenBronx
03-17-2009, 01:06 PM
i cant remember so many bronco fans being so ignorant at once.

look mommy....lets see how many mclones we can fit in one thread!

nthngd2say
03-17-2009, 01:07 PM
When did oft injured pass catching TE's become so valuable? This is the same guy everybody rips on for not being able to stay on the field. If Shanny had traded Scheff would there be near this much outrage? Fore some reason I don't think so.

He missed 17 games in 3 years and he is considered a poor blocker too. I'd rather get something for him than have him walk next year for nothing

MadMax
03-17-2009, 01:11 PM

I would have been more upset if Shanny had traded Scheff because he was an asset to Shanny's system, but if everyone's right and McDaniels has no use for a pass catching TE then it is a waste to keep him. It would be bad for Scheff's career because he won't get the numbers he needs for big money, and its a bad use of his value to us in that a pass catching tight end would be worth more to a team that could use him.

As has been said this is all speculation, but I would be outraged if we trade Scheffler or any other player for less than he's worth, despite the injuries he is still a very good pass catching TE.

nthngd2say
03-17-2009, 01:11 PM
He missed 17 games in 3 years and he is considered a poor blocker too. I'd rather get something for him than have him walk next year for nothing

Actually it was only 15:
2008 - missed games 6,7 & 9. Had no stats for games 11 & 15
2007 - missed games 1-4
2006 - missed games 2-3, 6-7, and 9-12

Gamechanger
03-17-2009, 01:13 PM
:pound:

they want to trade him for this guy? you guys are just getting a defensive version of Scheffler

someone in that front office should be saying: DO NOT WANT!!!!

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 01:14 PM
i cant remember so many bronco fans being so ignorant at once.

look mommy....lets see how many mclones we can fit in one thread!

By ignorant do you mean accepting that NONE of us know all the details and can see both sides?

Or

That we choose to believe everything the superstar says and nothing the coach says?

nthngd2say
03-17-2009, 01:18 PM
IIRC, I thought Scheffler has been in and out of Shanahan's dog house the past two seasons for his injuries [time he took to get back on the field], inconsistent play and his poor blocking. Maybe I'm not remember it correctly, not 100% sure. The only reference I could find was:

The Olympian reports that TE Tony Scheffler is currently listed as the backup pass-catching TE in Denver behind Nate Jackson. "I'm not worried about it," Scheffler said. "I think I proved myself last year that I can make plays for this team and I think I'm going to be a big part of things."

roomemp
03-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Schef is damaged goods.

DenBronx
03-17-2009, 01:23 PM
By ignorant do you mean accepting that NONE of us know all the details and can see both sides?

Or

That we choose to believe everything the superstar says and nothing the coach says?

I choose answer D: Both B & C.

B) The fans that don't see how McDaniels has sabotaged this organization from keeping their star quarterback.

C) The fans that don't see why Cutler would request a trade after McDaniels was a bold faced liar!

DenBronx
03-17-2009, 01:25 PM
i dont mind dealing sheff but thats a terrible deal. why not package him and something else for a guy like peppers?

MadMax
03-17-2009, 01:29 PM
i dont mind dealing sheff but thats a terrible deal. why not package him and something else for a guy like peppers?

Check out the thread "I know I am going to regret this but..." supposedly that is exactly what we were trying to do but they wanted Eddy Royal and Scheffler for Peppers which thankfully the FO thought was too much.

nthngd2say
03-17-2009, 01:30 PM

Carolina doesn't need a TE though especially one who is injured every season and is a poor blocker. Scheff will need a new contract so I don't think that Carolina would be interested in him not knowing if he'd be around. I guess Scheff could be the throw in player for Peppers but if so, who would Carolina want for Peppers that we have? I would think only Cutler, Champ, possibly Marshall or Royal. Maybe DJ. Doubtful Cutler is moved [I think], Champ is older and Carolina has no cap space, Marshall has a suspension looming, Royal alone likely wouldn't be enough and DJ would be a cap issue and they have pretty good LB.

weazel
03-17-2009, 01:33 PM
so is this more truthful than the redskin trade rumor? which one is going to happen?

ikillz0mbies
03-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Ha. The Cutler trade thread got deleted.

MadMax
03-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Let us all not forget that right now Scheff is a no show as well, it just hasn't been publicized as much because of Cutler.

nthngd2say
03-17-2009, 01:34 PM
so is this more truthful than the redskin trade rumor? which one is going to happen?

I hadn't heard the Redskin trade rumor... what is it?

nthngd2say
03-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Let us all not forget that right now Scheff is a no show as well, it just hasn't been publicized as much because of Cutler.

I think it hasn't been publicized because there was a collective "yawn" when CBS4 first reported Scheffler wasn't reporting

honz
03-17-2009, 01:35 PM
I hadn't heard the Redskin trade rumor... what is it?

It was a rumor posted on Bleacher Report. I could write an article for Bleacher Report if I wanted to...'nuff said.

omac
03-17-2009, 01:50 PM

The offense becomes much more potent with Scheffler on the field. It's similar to, but not to the same degree as, when Sanders is playing healthy for the Colts defense. Scheffler is definitely a weapon.

If Shanahan had traded Scheffler, I'd be pissed. If Shanahan tried to trade Cutler, I'd be outraged. If Shanahan wasn't fired, but he still kept Slowik as his DC, I'd be outraged. And I am a Shanahan fan.

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 01:56 PM
The offense becomes much more potent with Scheffler on the field. It's similar to, but not to the same degree as, when Sanders is playing healthy for the Colts defense. Scheffler is definitely a weapon.

If Shanahan had traded Scheffler, I'd be pissed. If Shanahan tried to trade Cutler, I'd be outraged. If Shanahan wasn't fired, but he still kept Slowik as his DC, I'd be outraged. And I am a Shanahan fan.

So really...nothing will make you happy right now.

underrated29
03-17-2009, 02:11 PM
So..................... I think its safe to say that this is just a rumor as no one seems to have any sources in the inside that can back this.

I kinda figured so, but atleast we can squash this one too...

Only 522 more rumors that need to be brought up only to be squashed.

Boy this is fun.:rolleyes:

omac
03-17-2009, 02:26 PM
So really...nothing will make you happy right now.

Read the post in context. He implied Shanahan fans wouldn't be outraged if he traded Scheffler, but because it's McDaniels, we are.

I am pretty happy, though. NFL is fun. I've been pretty hopeful of McDaniels as our coach. I like that he hired Nolan, something Shanahan probably wouldn't have done. I just don't like how he's been handling the recent situations.

broncofaninfla
03-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Even though Sheff is trade bait, it's hard to believe we would trade him for this guy.

Gamechanger
03-17-2009, 02:35 PM
even though Scheffler is injury prone, my question is why not other places and not just Buffalo?

if and IF this rumor holds any merit, you guys are making a mistake if you are trying to pursue a guy who is just as if not more injury prone than Scheffler

why not look at other options and not just this guy?

again JMHO :coffee:

Requiem / The Dagda
03-17-2009, 02:38 PM
God, I'd kill myself.

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-17-2009, 02:42 PM

If we can't afford the guaranteed money the first overall pick requires how can we pay Peppers money he will demand. Peppers isn't coming here, would be great but i don't think its happening.

red98
03-17-2009, 02:57 PM
I have too and it's always a mistake, it's why everyone is convinced the Raiders are doomed to failure and Al Davis has lost his mind. This isn't the local McDonalds we're dealing with here, billion dollar organizations do not stop on a dime.

Except when it isn't: Cam Cameron

BroncoWave
03-17-2009, 03:12 PM
McCargo is the dude they tried to get rid of all last season and noone would take him. McDaniels is horrible. This is getting ridiculous

McDaniels is a sabateur who is going to destroy anything that is good on this team, then he will quickly slither away once he is done. Bowlen will then be begging Shanahan to come back and try to repair the damage. This is disgusting.

Um, wow way to jump to that based off a completely unsubstantiated rumor.

weazel
03-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Um, wow way to jump to that based off a completely unsubstantiated rumor.

basing it on the entire time he's been here. You haven't heard of any problems coming out of Denver lately?

EMB6903
03-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Who the hell is McCargo? Fire McDummy!

an overhyped 1st rounder coming out

Ron Brace type player, benifited from playing next to an elite prospect (Mario Williams)

nthngd2say
03-17-2009, 03:58 PM
even though Scheffler is injury prone, my question is why not other places and not just Buffalo?

if and IF this rumor holds any merit, you guys are making a mistake if you are trying to pursue a guy who is just as if not more injury prone than Scheffler

why not look at other options and not just this guy?

again JMHO :coffee:

True... Buffalo is the only rumor being mentioned because Cook is in Buffalo. Likely nothing but a rumor, who knows.

No other teams have been mentioned I assume because the Broncos supposedly have been shopping Scheffler and no one has been interested so I took that to possibly mean they're just hoping to get something for Scheffler than to see him walk next season for nothing.

BroncoWave
03-17-2009, 04:03 PM
basing it on the entire time he's been here. You haven't heard of any problems coming out of Denver lately?

Yeah, but you are using this totally unsubstantiated rumor to bolster your argument. Kinda weak. Now if the trade actually happens, fire away.

LoyalSoldier
03-17-2009, 04:07 PM
We have had enough overrated DTs. How about someone who has actually played worth a crap in their career?

Requiem / The Dagda
03-17-2009, 04:08 PM
McCargo isn't anything like Ron Brace as a player.

elsid13
03-17-2009, 04:16 PM
I would say it's plausible that Cook is in Buffalo trying to gauge interest for Scheffler but to assume that the Broncos have already discussed any sort of compensation is purely speculation. Is the suggestion that Cook is there on the Broncos behalf facilitating a trade then?

I liked Scheffler, when he played, but he's missed 17 total games over three seasons, is a poor blocker and other than stretching the field, he's only had a couple of very good games. He's going to be looking for a new contract next season and we'd risk getting nothing for him so getting a player and a draft pick is better than no compensation I think. McCargo and a 5th seems high to me for an inconsistent/injury prone TE who can't block with potential but I don't really know Scheffler's worth - likely depends on the buyer. I would rather get something for Scheffler than have him walk. He supposedly doesn't fit the new offensive scheme anyways.

Scheffer hasn't missed 17 games over three seasons. He has missed 6.

nthngd2say
03-17-2009, 04:17 PM
I'd be happy if Denver can even get a 5th rounder for Scheffler let alone another player. I just don't think Scheffler is going to get us much in return but I could be wrong - probably depends on who the buyer is.
McCargo might have sucked in Buffalo but I thought Buffalo played a 4-3 defense. If the Broncos think McCargo could work out at DE, which is assuming this rumor is even accurate, then why not get him and a draft pick for Scheffler?
Again, I doubt the Broncos will get much for Scheffler based on his injury history, poor blocking skills and being in a contract year [I think] but that would be great if we got a better player than McCargo & a draft pick.

nthngd2say
03-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Scheffer hasn't missed 17 games over three seasons. He has missed 6.

I looked up his game stats on ESPN for 2006-2008 and that's what I previously posted. I also corrected it to say he missed 15 games not 17. Does ESPN have it wrong? Wouldn't surprise me....

2007 - missed games 1-4

roomemp
03-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Scheff had a problem beating out Nate jackson the past 2 years. I would take a 5th for him.

DenBronx
03-17-2009, 04:22 PM
I looked up his game stats on ESPN for 2006-2008 and that's what I previously posted. I also corrected it to say he missed 15 games not 17.

2007 - missed games 1-4

i we win 1 game in 2 of those years we make the playoffs. its all sheffs fault.

elsid13
03-17-2009, 04:27 PM
I looked up his game stats on ESPN for 2006-2008 and that's what I previously posted. I also corrected it to say he missed 15 games not 17. Does ESPN have it wrong? Wouldn't surprise me....

2007 - missed games 1-4

ESPN is wrong go figure. From NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/players/tonyscheffler/careerstats?id=SCH095691
Receiving
Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
2008 Denver Broncos 13 40 645 16.1 49.6 72 3 13 1 28 1
2007 Denver Broncos 16 49 549 11.2 34.3 41 5 5 1 29 1
2006 Denver Broncos 13 18 286 15.9 22.0 29 4 6 0 15 0

TOTAL 42 107 1,480 13.8 35.2 72 12 24 2 72 2

EMB6903
03-17-2009, 04:31 PM
McCargo isn't anything like Ron Brace as a player.

my mistake, should have been more specific. Im only comparing the two over the fact that I think both are 3rd round talents at best who benefited highly playing next to an elite prospect..

nthngd2say
03-17-2009, 04:33 PM
i we win 1 game in 2 of those years we make the playoffs. its all sheffs fault.

I never said anything about our losses having to do with Scheffler. That would imply he actually was a factor in the games which most of his career he has not been. The Bears game was awesome but aside from that, he has mostly been inconsistent. Scheffler has talent for the passing game but is a poor blocker and injury prone was my point. Scheffler also does not fit McDaniels offense - mostly 4 WR sets or the TE is used for blocking. Before Shanahan was fired, Scheffler was in and out of his dog house and lost his starting job to Nate Jackson more than a couple times the past two seasons. If he's not going to be here, why not try to get some value for him? Again, that assumes another team will give us anything for Scheffler which so far has not been the case.

nthngd2say
03-17-2009, 04:36 PM
ESPN is wrong go figure. From NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/players/tonyscheffler/careerstats?id=SCH095691
Receiving
Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
2008 Denver Broncos 13 40 645 16.1 49.6 72 3 13 1 28 1
2007 Denver Broncos 16 49 549 11.2 34.3 41 5 5 1 29 1
2006 Denver Broncos 13 18 286 15.9 22.0 29 4 6 0 15 0

TOTAL 42 107 1,480 13.8 35.2 72 12 24 2 72 2

I don't think so. Click on the actual season stats for Scheffler. I tried to post it but it was a mess. The Games are when he suits up but not when he played. The actual game logs for the season so no stats/did not play for 13 games from 2006-2008 and 2008 has two games where Scheff had 0 catches for 0 yards.

2006 Game log link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?playerId=9647&sYear=2006
2007: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?playerId=9647&sYear=2007
2008: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?playerId=9647&sYear=2008

elsid13
03-17-2009, 04:49 PM
I don't think so. Click on the actual season stats for Scheffler. I tried to post it but it was a mess. The Games are when he suits up but not when he played. The actual game logs for the season so no stats/did not play for 13 games from 2006-2008 and 2008 has two games where Scheff had 0 catches for 0 yards.

2006 Game log link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?playerId=9647&sYear=2006
2007: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?playerId=9647&sYear=2007
2008: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?playerId=9647&sYear=2008

Look at the nfl game logs he has stats for all but 3 games in 2008. In 2007 he had might not a had a catch in first 3 games but he played on ST. In 2006 (his rookie season) he play ST mainly until Cutler took over.

If he suited up he was playing either on offense or special teams.

nthngd2say
03-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Look at the nfl game logs he has stats for all but 3 games in 2008. In 2007 he had might not a had a catch in first 3 games but he played on ST. In 2006 (his rookie season) he play ST mainly until Cutler took over.

If he suited up he was playing either on offense or special teams.

Fair enough. I wasn't counting special teams play as I have no idea what games he played on special teams. ESPN also listed he had no stats/did not play [assuming those stats are correct] for those games so I am assuming that would include any tackles on special teams but I guess he was at least on the field just not contributing statistically. I guess that he only missed 6 games but contributed 0 catches for 0 yards in 15 total games over the three years as a TE. I'm just saying he's not reliable and has injury issues.

weazel
03-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Yeah, but you are using this totally unsubstantiated rumor to bolster your argument. Kinda weak. Now if the trade actually happens, fire away.

I posted the same thing and worse before this rumor. No bolstering needed, but thanks

elsid13
03-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Fair enough. I wasn't counting special teams play as I have no idea what games he played on special teams. ESPN also listed he had no stats/did not play for those games so I am assuming that would include any tackles on special teams but I guess he was at least on the field just not contributing statistically. I guess that he only missed 6 games but contributed 0 catches for 0 yards in 15 total games over the three years as a TE. I'm just saying he's not reliable and has injury issues.

Remember it hard for a rookie to get catches in Shanahan offense. You need to look at the last two season as what he is, while having Marshall,Stockley and Royal also "stealing" potential catching opportunities from him.

Dortoh
03-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Tony for a DT and picks makes some sense but if we trade Jay for a DT I'd have to jump of the McDoogie bandwagon.

nthngd2say
03-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Remember it hard for a rookie to get catches in Shanahan offense. You need to look at the last two season as what he is, while having a Marshall,Stockley and Royal also "stealing" potential catching opportunities from him.

I didn't mean to imply Scheffler has no talent. I agree that he can stretch the field, presents match-up issues with most LB and Safeties, and can make some great catches. The game against the Bears was awesome. He has also had his share of bad drops, has regularly been criticized for his poor blocking and has lost his starting spot to Nate Jackson twice. Besides that, if he can't stay on the field and contribute consistently, I was just saying I think teams will knock his trade value down for that. It's pretty much irrelevant anyways as Scheffler doesn't fit McDaniels offense. I'm sure Scheffler will go somewhere and have his occasional great game or three a year.

fcspikeit
03-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Exactly. I think it's another one of the "throw shit against the wall and hope it sticks" rumors too... Looks to be totally speculative--

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2009/03/cook-was-not-in-buf.html

Cook was not in BUF

The agent for Denver quarterback Jay Cutler and Denver tight end Tony Scheffler was not in Buffalo on Monday, according to his assistant.

Cook was in his office in Hattiesburg, Miss., all day yesterday and is there again today, his assistant reports. A local radio report Monday night said Cook was in Buffalo.

It's hard to imagine an agent such as Cook coming to visit a team unless it was in the very last stages of closing a deal. Furthermore, while the Broncos have been reported to be shopping Scheffler on the trade market, sources in Denver say they have not granted the tight end permission to seek a trade on his own. So any team that would talk to Cook about Scheffler would be tampering, presuming no permission has been granted.

So while the power of the internet rolls on, we will wait today to see what comes out of Marshawn Lynch's meeting in New York with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. The expectation is no ruling will be handed down today, but the NFL should have some type of comment on the situation.

Shazam!
03-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Ummm, Scheff is always hurt. Let him go.

bcbronc
03-17-2009, 07:14 PM
guess that rumours dead.

Tony for a DT and picks makes some sense but if we trade Jay for a DT I'd have to jump of the McDoogie bandwagon.

ngata?

never happen, but just for kicks and giggles,

Ngata + Flacco for Cutler + Champ?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-17-2009, 08:05 PM
I actually liked McCargo when he was w/ NC State...but then again he played alongside 2 DEs who were taken in the top 15 that year.