Grover
10-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Reported at Denver Post Online

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7184362

Lewis out, Beck in with Broncos
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 10/15/2007 06:56:16 PM MDT

D.D. Lewis at Broncos training camp in August 2007. (Hyoung Chang | The Denver Post)

The Broncos informed backup linebacker D.D. Lewis today that he will be released, an NFL source confirmed.

According to another NFL source, Denver will sign linebacker Jordan Beck on Tuesday to replace Lewis. Beck is a former third-round pick by Atlanta, who was released this summer.

Lewis competed for a starting job in training camp, but was beaten out by Nate Webster. Lewis, who did play on special teams, signed as a free agent from Seattle in April.

Releasing Lewis will give Denver one roster opening. The Broncos worked out nine linebackers last week.

And on a more personal level:

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2007/September/06/sport/stories/01sport.htm

Former SLV linebacker Beck confident he'll find another team after recent release from Atlanta Falcons
By JIM SEIMAS
Sentinel staff writer

Linebacker Jordan Beck, released by the Atlanta Falcons this week after making the 53-man roster, said Wednesday he's optimistic he will continue his NFL career.

"I just have to keep a good attitude and work hard," said Beck, a former San Lorenzo Valley High star. "A lot of things are out of my control now"

Beck, a former Cal Poly San Luis Obispo standout who went on to win the 2004 Buck Buchanan Award, given to the top defensive player in Division I-AA, was one of seven linebackers on Atlanta's roster Saturday, when final cuts were made. But the team elected to keep just six linebackers for the season Monday, with Beck's release among a series of transactions.

Beck tried out with the Cincinnati Bengals on Tuesday. He has three more workouts scheduled, including today in Baltimore, Friday in Minnesota and Tuesday in Tampa Bay.

"He's a pretty hot commodity of the free-agent market right now," said Ryan Tollner, Beck's agent. "Jordan's versatility is a real asset. He's considered fast, even by NFL standards, for linebackers"

Beck, who is 6-foot-2 and 233 pounds, took a physical with Cincinnati. He went through a series of drills and ran a 4.6-second 40-yard dash. He said he has no ill effects from a severe ankle injury that forced him to miss the 2005 season.

Last season, Beck, a third-round pick in the 2005 draft, was second on the Falcons' special teams unit with 13 tackles. When Bobby Petrino replaced Jim Mora as Atlanta's coach in January, Beck saw his role diminish. He was dropped to fourth string at linebacker and was no longer on first team for special teams.

"It was an uphill battle for me in the beginning," Beck said. "But I battled hard and thought I earned my way onto the roster. Honestly, I didn't see it coming.

"But I did feel a relief when I was cut. Now I get a fresh start in a new city. I'm fairly confident I'll be picked up some time soon. I know can contribute on special teams right away"

Beck said he and his wife, Hillary, will still keep their house in Flowery Branch, Ga., using it as a summer home, and likely live in an apartment wherever he signs. The couple celebrated the birth of their first child, Noah, three months ago.

"I don't sleep as much now," Beck said of having a child. "But he has been a wonderful blessing. You learn to be twice as responsible as you thought you could be"

My thoughts:

Beck went to college here locally and I was fortunate to see him play. He's got speed and heart. I think he'll contribute to special teams - he was the Falcon's leading tackler on special teams last year with 13 tackles. I'm glad he's a Bronco.

sneakers
10-16-2007, 12:52 AM
His name makes him sound like a Soccer Player.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-16-2007, 01:11 AM
Get Keith Rivers.

ChampWJ
10-16-2007, 01:22 AM
I think Beck will be good. I am from Atlanta, so I've seen him play in his time there. He is a pretty intriguing guy who has battled injuries. He seems talented.

Stargazer
10-16-2007, 04:34 AM
Any improvement to the special teams is a welcome sign.

:salute:

sneakers
10-16-2007, 05:12 AM
How did we go from having arguably the best Linebacker unit in the league to crap in one year? Jeepers!

anton...
10-16-2007, 05:59 AM
How did we go from having arguably the best Linebacker unit in the league to crap in one year?

right wing communists running the show...

:tsk:
________
Live Sex Webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Skinny
10-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Just what we needed . . . to replace our LB depth. If he makes any type of impact on ST, welcome aboard . . .

SBboundBRONCOS
10-16-2007, 08:59 AM
i say if he can wrap people up take out webster and his launching helmet and put him in, i cant even say in the few games ive watched how pathetic webster is at tackling he just flings his body head first (arms down) toward the ball carier and at that point the ball carrier either steps aside or bounces right of off webster

its painful to watch :ahhhhh:

Retired_Member_001
10-17-2007, 01:54 PM
i say if he can wrap people up take out webster and his launching helmet and put him in, i cant even say in the few games ive watched how pathetic webster is at tackling he just flings his body head first (arms down) toward the ball carier and at that point the ball carrier either steps aside or bounces right of off webster

its painful to watch :ahhhhh:

The man must have a iron head. :laugh:

I would have kept D.D Lewis to be honest. He's a good backup. I don't really know who Jordan Beck is, so I just have to hope he is not terrible.

Medford Bronco
10-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Any improvement to the special teams is a welcome sign.

:salute:

I love your avy those girls are en fuego, even in a kids show :ahhhhh:

btw who is Jordan Black

I think of meet Joe Black or Bud Black or Back in Black

sorry people for the tangent. I have had too much coffee today and am so tired it is not even funny :ahhhhh:

dogfish
10-17-2007, 02:15 PM
interesting pickup. . . beck was supposed to be this great prospect when atlanta drafted him, but as champ said he was slowed by injuries. . . he's still young and has very good raw athleticism, so there's definitely some developmental potential there. . . whether or not he can realize that potential is anyone's guess, but in a year where we're not going anywhere anyways, i don't mind taking a chance on a young player with upside at a position where we desperately need some help if all we had to give up was a veteran special teamer who wasn't making much of an impact. . .

sanluis watched beck play at cal poly, and says that the guy is very talented and could end up being a good pickup for us. . . .

Stargazer
10-17-2007, 02:40 PM
I love your avy those girls are en fuego, even in a kids show :ahhhhh:

TY. Hope you like the sig also.:D

And like I said before, anything to help with special teams. Just any improvement is a great accomplishment.

wandlc
10-17-2007, 09:20 PM
I think Beck got caught in a numbers game at Atl. Petrino kept 3 rookie backers and the Falcons also have Brookings and Boley as starters. Petrino seems to not have much patience with players that are not his and the injuries didn't help him. It will be interesting to see how he performs and if he can get back into the game.

TXBRONC
10-17-2007, 09:49 PM
I had never heard of him before this. However, if can bolster this team in anyway I'm all for it.

sanluis
10-18-2007, 08:46 AM
He is a smart player with a nose for the ball. He was injured while returning a int he had just made during his rookie year in Atlanta. He will be a good pick up for you guys. He is fast and a great tackler. He can drop back and cover and has the speed to stay with a TE. Everyone is fast at this level. Jordan is fast and smart. He will help your special teams this year and push your starters next year IMO.

Grover
10-18-2007, 10:49 AM
From Andrew Mason's Blog:

"Tuesday signee Jordan Beck wore jersey No. 57 and said as he left the field that he worked at middle linebacker during Wednesday’s session. “He’s so bright that eventually he’ll be able to learn all three (linebacker spots),” assistant head coach/defense Jim Bates said."

And the link: http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason/2007/10/17/walker-limited-bailey-sidelined/

Beck should be a good addition to our team if he plays to his potential. SanLuis and I both got the opportunity to watch him in college, and he was good at that level. As for SanLuis's opinion that Beck will challenge our existing Linebackers for a starting job next season -- well I think that's more a statement about our starting talent than it is about Beck's greatness.

From Bate's comments quoted above, it seems the team is hoping for Beck to be a strong utility player and contribute in many areas. For this season, I'm just hoping he'll be a playmaker on special teams.

sanluis
10-18-2007, 06:05 PM
playmaker

That's a good word for Jordan.

Medford Bronco
10-18-2007, 06:08 PM
playmaker

You mean this Jordan :lol:

http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/5d/images.art.com/images/-/Michael-Jordan---Chicago-Bulls--C10208582.jpeg

can he stop the run? lol or play wideout for Javon

Stargazer
10-18-2007, 06:29 PM
playmaker

You mean like Devin Hester returning kicks for TD's.

You mean like LT running 60 yards for a TD.

You mean like Peyton tossing 4 TD's a game?

WOW, I'm excited about this guy. When does he start at LB???:eek: