PDA

View Full Version : NFL Commissioner Goodell still has 18-game schedule in sights

Denver Native (Carol)
02-19-2012, 06:49 PM
One of items brought to the negotiating table by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell during the lockout negotiations last offseason was the implementation of a new 18-game, regular-season schedule.

Goodell hasn't give up on the idea of adding two more games to the schedule, though he said last week any changes are still a couple of seasons away.

"Well I appreciate the enthusiasm for it and I hear it from the fans consistently," Goodell said during an interview WEPN-AM in New York, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. "People want more football. I think they want less preseason and more regular season and that's the concept we are talking about here. We wouldn't add an extra two games without reducing the preseason, and we are not going to do it without the players support, so we did that in the collective bargaining agreement instead of having the unilateral right, which we had.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8271204d/article/nfl-commissioner-goodell-still-has-18game-schedule-in-sights?module=HP11_headline_stack

OrangeHoof
02-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Polls the last time said the fans don't want to expand the regular season as much as they want to cut down the pre-season. I think 16 games/32 teams is perfect and doesn't need to be changed. But, it seems like sports commissioners are in a constant competition to see who can screw up their sport more than the others.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-19-2012, 07:30 PM
If I understand it correctly - will still be the same amount of games as always - just 2 less preseason games, and 2 more regular season games. I disagree that there is no need for preseason games - that is where the players are evaluated as to whether they make the team, make the practice squad, etc.

Npba900
02-19-2012, 09:06 PM
The game is dangerous enough already. The wear and tear the players will endure by playing 2 more games just isn't necessary in my opinion. Of course if Barnum Bailey Goodell and the owners go ahead with this fool hardy idea, the owners should bare the cost of increasing team rosters from 53 to 70 players to help absorb the injuries and allow the starters to rest the last two games.

wayninja
02-19-2012, 10:33 PM
It could say "Goodell still has 18 year old Omaha boy in sights" and it wouldn't be any less creepy.

BTW, Goodell creeps me out.

Dirk
02-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Meh....I am OK with an 18 game season as long as they cut out 2 of the preseason games.

Chef Zambini
02-20-2012, 10:45 AM
same number of games, but now they ALL will mean so much more. its more football and more revenue and the rosters will expand to support it! its all good and it is inevetable!
AGENTS will figure out its good for them too so the players will also be told they like it too.