PDA

View Full Version : Von Miller’s ceiling

Denver Native (Carol)
02-19-2012, 06:34 PM
We noted early in the 2011 season when the Broncos benched their star rookie Von Miller during the second half of a loss to the Chargers.

Miller didn’t leave the field often after that game. The Denver Post writes that Miller was on the field for 79.7% of the team’s defensive snaps throughout the year. Considering he missed an entire game to injury, that’s a very high number. (It was good for third on the team.)

There were two concerns with Miller heading into his rookie year: He might not not fit Denver’s scheme and that he may “only” be a pass rusher. Both concerns proved overblown.

rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/19/von-millers-ceiling/

wayninja
02-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Von Miller was worth a 2nd overall pick. He's one of the most promising drafts that I remember since DJ Williams and I think he's better than DJ overall. Come to think of it, he might be the best player we've drafted since the turn of the century.

Lancane
02-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Von Miller was worth a 2nd overall pick. He's one of the most promising drafts that I remember since DJ Williams and I think he's better than DJ overall. Come to think of it, he might be the best player we've drafted since the turn of the century.

Good point Nin, he is one of the most promising defensive draftees we've had in a long-time, and has a ceiling that right now seems unlimited. I never expected much of Williams, and I was never really high on him even when he was at the U. Whereas Miller might end up being the best player we've drafted all-around since the 90's, even though Cutler, Marshall and Clady are in themselves quality draftees, Clady is the only one still on the roster and I'd say he's been huge for us, Miller is just of a different quality, like Lawrence Taylor, Steve Atwater, Bruce Smith or Ronnie Lott, a franchise player that becomes the face of the defense. The last defensive player we had that had that prowess was of course Al Wilson, Bill Romanowski before him and Steve Atwater before him. So I hope he remains of that quality. Now if we could just find someone of the same sort of caliber for our offense (and don't mention Tebow - I'll kick you in the nuts), it would be nice if he turned into that sort of quarterback, but till then we need someone to be the face of the offense, it was Cutler, then Marshall and now? I don't care if it's at Tight End, Wide Receiver or Running Back, we need that offensively.

Jsteve01
02-20-2012, 09:54 AM
The beautiful thing about Miller that no one has talked about is his fiery disposition. Especially with limited offseason, there was no way he was going to step up and take on a leadership role. I think we'll see him taking on more of that role this year.

MOtorboat
02-20-2012, 10:13 AM
The beautiful thing about Miller that no one has talked about is his fiery disposition. Especially with limited offseason, there was no way he was going to step up and take on a leadership role. I think we'll see him taking on more of that role this year.

When T invited Spano to the site back in December I asked him about Miller's leadership, and he said he's not the vocal leader type, more of a do as I do type guy.

With Dawkins' future up in the air, Denver definitely needs to find that vocal leader, and I'm not sure he's on the roster right now.

That said, it should not take away from the transcendent type of talent Miller is and what a great pick it was.

SOCALORADO.
02-20-2012, 10:26 AM
When the season ended, the stratosphere was re-named VONICUS MILLERICUS.
https://www2.ucar.edu/sites/default/files/news/2009/sunearth.jpg

camdisco24
02-20-2012, 12:17 PM
I think his only ceiling is an awkward thumb injury. I'm excited to see what he can do with a full off season of workouts.

CoachChaz
02-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Learning how to be "craftier" will make him better. He didnt use much more than a speed rush and a dip move to have his early success. Once he learns a good swim and perfects delays and how to read blocking schemes, his numbers will improve.

However...i'll settle for 7-8 sacks if I can see his run and coverage skills improve. The more multi-dimensional he is, the more valuable and dangerous he becomes

BigDaddyBronco
02-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Learning how to be "craftier" will make him better. He didnt use much more than a speed rush and a dip move to have his early success. Once he learns a good swim and perfects delays and how to read blocking schemes, his numbers will improve.

However...i'll settle for 7-8 sacks if I can see his run and coverage skills improve. The more multi-dimensional he is, the more valuable and dangerous he becomes

Yea, if they have no idea if he is going to rush the passer or drop back in coverage, he will be even more of a terror.

Nomad
02-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Get the interior pass rush fixed and Miller will shine even more.

Jsteve01
02-20-2012, 03:16 PM

Chaz he can definitely grow in coverage but im curious as to where you saw deficiencies in his run defense. PFF had him missing zero tackles this year and he rated as hands down the best SAM against the run

MOtorboat
02-20-2012, 03:27 PM
In before "liability"

:coffee:

SOCALORADO.
02-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Chaz he can definitely grow in coverage but im curious as to where you saw deficiencies in his run defense. PFF had him missing zero tackles this year and he rated as hands down the best SAM against the run

Which is specifically why Von won DROY over Aldon.

Jsteve01
02-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Yea, if they have no idea if he is going to rush the passer or drop back in coverage, he will be even more of a terror.

The thing I'll miss about Allen is the creativity he used in moving Miller all over formation. JDR strikes me as more of a meat and potatoes type of coordinator in the mold of Fox.

CoachChaz
02-21-2012, 09:37 AM

I think it comes down to recognition. I want to see him alter his approach when he is in pass rush mode and the play is a run. I guess it all depends on the definition of missing tackles. If a back runs past him while he's rushing the QB...I guess you can say he didnt miss the tackle. But then again...he really dodnt try either. I dare anyone to say they didnt see that happen quite a bit this year.

I like his skills against the run. I was one of the biggest supporters of his ability in this area prior to the draft. but I'm still looking forward to his recognition skills improving so he can tell the difference between a run scheme and a pass scheme.

Chef Zambini
02-21-2012, 09:44 AM
VM should be knocking down pass attempts to his side of the field if he cant get to the QB! I want to see more of that!
I am confident they will improve his run defense too, especially with a full pre-season .

claymore
02-21-2012, 09:54 AM

The one positive IMO during the Patriots asskicking in the playoffs was Miller never gave up and he was talking shit at the end.

Heart, we havent had any in a long time.

TheReverend
02-21-2012, 10:01 AM
I do have to question the legitimacy of the 80% of snaps considering the missed game and there were several games where he missed about 50% of riding the pine.

TheReverend
02-21-2012, 10:01 AM
The one positive IMO during the Patriots asskicking in the playoffs was Miller never gave up and he was talking shit at the end.

Heart, we havent had any in a long time.

Maybe he was just well rested after being held completely statless all game (kidding)