PDA

View Full Version : Kizla-If Cutler Walks

Shazam!
03-17-2009, 01:50 AM
Kiszla: It's time to ask the question . . . What if Cutler walks?
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
3/17/2009

Happy trails, Jay Cutler. Have a nice life. Here are three quarterbacks who could make the Broncos a better football team when you're gone:

1) Matthew Stafford, Georgia Bulldogs

2) Brady Quinn, Cleveland Browns

3) Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys

Let's make a deal.

Enough already with the chest- beating, turf-marking and belly- aching in Broncosland. Tell Cutler to turn in his Denver uniform.

As soon as Broncos owner Pat Bowlen stops pulling out his hair, coach Josh McDaniels ceases running around with his diapers on fire and we talk chief operating officer Joe Ellis down from the ledge of those empty luxury boxes in the stadium, maybe this team can get on with the real business at hand.

The Broncos need to make the best possible trade to get Cutler out of Denver with a deal that also moves the team closer to Super Bowl contention.

Aren't tough chores why Bowlen employs Brian Xanders to be a general manager?

Swap Cutler to Detroit for the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft and the Broncos could select Stafford, the quarterback that Tim Tebow, Troy Smith and recent Heisman Trophy frauds can only hope to be when they grow up.

In what figures to be a rebuilding season for the Broncos, Chris Simms could keep the huddle warm until the 6-foot-3, 237- pound Stafford is ready to take the controls.

Or Broncos management might try engaging Cleveland in negotiations to give Quinn a fresh start in Denver, giving the Broncos a young player tutored by Charlie Weis at Notre Dame on the finer points of impersonating Tom Brady.

And we all know McDaniels is hot for anything with any connection to the Patriots label. New England's Matt Cassel threw for 185 yards and three touchdowns last season against Denver, not any better than the 239 yards and two TDs that Quinn dropped on a lousy Broncos defense.

Want to pursue a blockbuster that would allow marquee quarterbacks to change hot seats? Maybe Bowlen cannot get Cutler to return his calls, but here's betting Cowboys honcho Jerry Jones, who never met a screaming headline he didn't like, would pick up the phone.

Bowlen and Jones can discuss two fun facts that might surprise you about the rifle-armed Romo: Jessica Simpson loves him more than many frustrated fans in Big D do, and his salary cap number of $3.5 million in 2008 was not outrageous.

If the answer is no from Detroit, Cleveland and Dallas, then there would remain 28 teams in the NFL directory for the Broncos to contact.

How about cutting a deal for veteran Chad Pennington, who went from the waiver wire to MVP candidate in Miami in the span of a single season?

The Broncos could swap Cutler for defensive help, then use their own draft choice at No. 12 in the first round, or move up a handful of slots, if need be, to land Southern California quarterback Mark Sanchez.

The point is: Denver's trade options for Cutler are limited only by the skill and imagination of McDaniels and Xanders.

Does a franchise that has spent a decade stumbling and bumbling its way to mediocrity really think Cutler is the only way back to elite status in the NFL?

Meaning no disrespect to his bad haircut or worse attitude, but it should be far from impossible to find a passer who has won as many NFL playoff games as the zero Cutler has with the Broncos.

The Broncos are in immediate need of a quarterback who wants to be here, because this job is way too tough and political for an oversensitive soul (see: Griese, Brian) or a rogue who doesn't need the hassle (see: Plummer, Jake).

When McDaniels called roll Monday during a team meeting, Cutler was absent. Guess he had something better to do. Like baking cookies for the open house on that 7,500-square- foot dud of a bachelor pad in the 'burbs he's trying to sell.

While the Rocky Mountains did not crumble in the team's test of life after Cutler, there are folks in authority at Dove Valley holding out hope Kid McD and Jay-C can sneak off alone, drink a few beers, duke it out, pretend to respect each other and proclaim everything is hunky-dory.

Why try living a lie?

This relationship has stopped making sense. After attempting to trade Cutler behind his back, McDaniels now wants to keep the disgruntled quarterback against his will. Offended the Broncos would entertain shipping him out of town, Cutler now demands departure papers.

What more proof does anyone need that a coach and quarterback are at cross purposes and don't see eye to eye?

There is no time like a crisis to find a big opportunity.

This is a crisis that will tell us if McDaniels and Xanders are fit to run a pro football team.
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11928485

NameUsedBefore
03-17-2009, 02:06 AM
1) Matthew Stafford, Georgia Bulldogs

2) Brady Quinn, Cleveland Browns

Are you shitting me.

JKcatch724
03-17-2009, 02:13 AM
No, No, and No.

Stafford- Poor man's Cutler

Brady Quinn- Good God I would jump off a bridge. I hate that guy. Not to mention he sucks.

Tony Romo- A proven choker. If I had to take one of the 3 it would be him, but this situation is just ridiculous.

dogfish
03-17-2009, 02:16 AM
replace cutty with brady queen?

seriously, i'd give a hundred bucks to punch kiszla in his weaselly little face for writing that. . . .

IMO, this guy is the worse "sports writer" whose articles i've ever had the displeasure to skim. . . .

silkamilkamonico
03-17-2009, 02:16 AM
Does a franchise that has spent a decade stumbling and bumbling its way to mediocrity ......?

Glad I'm not the only one who sees truth in that.

silkamilkamonico
03-17-2009, 02:17 AM
He did leave out one very likely possibility.

Trade Cutler for a first this year, and next, an ddo whatever you need to do to get Sam Bradford, the next Tom Brady.

LoyalSoldier
03-17-2009, 02:25 AM
Make us better? If anything those choices keep us from sucks as bad as the Lions, but many don't stop us from sucking. Romo is the only one on that list that is anywhere close to proven.

Shazam!
03-17-2009, 02:29 AM
Ya know, I want Jay to stay and I love his talent. I want this **** to end like anyone else, but everyone just seems to **** on every modern QB that isn't named Cutler or Plummer. Cutler isn't the be all end all of NFL QBs.

LoyalSoldier
03-17-2009, 02:55 AM
Ya know, I want Jay to stay and I love his talent. I want this **** to end like anyone else, but everyone just seems to **** on every modern QB that isn't named Cutler or Plummer. Cutler isn't the be all end all of NFL QBs.

That's because a vast majority of them are a huge downgrade for a team that struggled with Cutler. We want the team to get better not worse and so far for every step it has taken forward it took 20 back.

omac
03-17-2009, 05:13 AM
Among those 3 options, Brady Quinn. Though he isn't in Cutler's level (yet?), he's shown more poise, diligence, and maturity as a QB than even some 10 year veteran QBs. I also think he's a much better QB than the more spotlighted QBs like Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco; definitely the best QB in his draft class.

Jaws
03-17-2009, 05:35 AM
Some of the suggestions in this article might be suspect, but I like the sentiment behind it.

In the Chinese language they don't have separate words for crisis and opportunity. In that language they are both the same word.

Let's hope this organisation gets it's act together real quick and turn this crisis into something that in the long run can make the Denver Broncos a proper team again.

Dirk
03-17-2009, 06:12 AM
Among those 3 options, Brady Quinn. Though he isn't in Cutler's level (yet?), he's shown more poise, diligence, and maturity as a QB than even some 10 year veteran QBs. I also think he's a much better QB than the more spotlighted QBs like Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco; definitely the best QB in his draft class.

I agree with you here Omac. I think that on the right team and with the right system, Quinn could be the next Brady/Montana type of QB. He has great skills if he has time and is very intelligent. He doesn't make a lot of poor decisions either.

If it came down to us having to get rid of Jay, I wouldn't mind putting Quinn in his place.

omac
03-17-2009, 06:23 AM
I agree with you here Omac. I think that on the right team and with the right system, Quinn could be the next Brady/Montana type of QB. He has great skills if he has time and is very intelligent. He doesn't make a lot of poor decisions either.

If it came down to us having to get rid of Jay, I wouldn't mind putting Quinn in his place.

Yeah, Quinn is real good, and can start for any team now. I liked how he played against Denver, then the game after, can't remember what team that was. Showed a ton of poise and leadership.

Dirk
03-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Yeah, Quinn is real good, and can start for any team now. I liked how he played against Denver, then the game after, can't remember what team that was. Showed a ton of poise and leadership.

Oh yeah, he showed a lot in that game against Denver. He impressed me. Not that I'm someone that is hard to impress, but he did impress me. :D

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 07:51 AM
This is all based on the assumption that Cutler gets traded at all. I still dont see it happening. My money still thinks he's here the whole season and has some success while the team gets beat up a little by a rough schedule. Maybe finish 8-8 again, but against this schedule that has to be an improvement. Cutler will have good numbers and the direction of the team will be better and it will all pan out.

He's not going anywhere.

Dirk
03-17-2009, 07:53 AM
I kind of see it your way also Chaz. And I hope you are correct. Get to work and work it out.

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 08:31 AM
I kind of see it your way also Chaz. And I hope you are correct. Get to work and work it out.

It's probably assumption on my part, but I just cant seem to find a way where either side benefits from a "divorce". Hopefully common sense prevails and they all see that as well.

I can assure you this. McD isnt going to want to have to find a new QB too late and Cutler really doesnt want to sit in Detroit for a few years

threefolddead
03-17-2009, 08:36 AM
The quarterbacks in this draft are mediocre at best and certainly not worthy of be drafted number one. If we did that, I think I would need a shrink for my Bronco related woes.

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 08:37 AM
The quarterbacks in this draft are mediocre at best and certainly not worthy of be drafted number one. If we did that, I think I would need a shrink for my Bronco related woes.

Brady and Cassel were considered mediocre once. Just saying

Shazam!
03-17-2009, 08:42 AM
According to many HERE Cassel straight out sucks. People should be careful because it is possible he can cause Denver major headaches for the next, oh, 10 years.

I love how people just throw aroiund "He (insert any QBs name) sucks" when they are doing a job we can only dream of doing. Many would probably play QB in the NFL for far less than an average mediocre QB's yearly salary or maybe free. Even if a young late round drafted QB only makes it two seasons in the NFL, it's better to be a 'I Have Been' than a never was.

threefolddead
03-17-2009, 08:44 AM

Hahaha. Yes they were and they were not drafted number one. Nor does that imply that the two in the draft are worth a crap, especially at the one spot. If Mcdaniels has some QB magic dust he sprinkles on his quarterbacks to make them good lets not over pay.

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Like i said, IF the Cutler situation cannot be cured. I'd seriously look at Rhett Bomar and Stephen McGee and Painter in middle rounds

skycoyote
03-17-2009, 09:35 AM
If Cutler walks it will overshadow all the blowouts on monday night football, the superbowl blowouts, the defense last year and will be one of the biggest blunders in NFL history.

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 09:37 AM
If Cutler walks it will overshadow all the blowouts on monday night football, the superbowl blowouts, the defense last year and will be one of the biggest blunders in NFL history.

Umm yeah...somehow I doubt that

Shazam!
03-17-2009, 09:40 AM

I guess you haven't been a fan for that long.

NightTrainLayne
03-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Like i said, IF the Cutler situation cannot be cured. I'd seriously look at Rhett Bomar and Stephen McGee and Painter in middle rounds

Ugh. Rhett Bomar = worse attitude than Cutler. Talk about a me-first, spoiled brat who will butt heads with the FO.

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Ugh. Rhett Bomar = worse attitude than Cutler. Talk about a me-first, spoiled brat who will butt heads with the FO.

I have to disagree. He was put in a situation to look that way at OU, but they als had to save a little face at the time. Put a player against the university in a PR battle and the U will always win.

From interviews and reports, I think he'll be just fine in the NFL. Just my opinion

tomjonesrocks
03-17-2009, 10:30 AM
[SIZE="4"][B]Kiszla:

Let's make a deal.

Hmm. I didn't hear that part about Jerry Jones shopping Romo...I must have missed that report... :rolleyes:

Guess I'm getting some nice opinions about reporters out of this mess. Kizla=shite, Woody=better than I thought.

claymore
03-17-2009, 10:30 AM

I agree a 100% especially if Cutler is extremley successful.

BeefStew25
03-17-2009, 10:37 AM
I like quinn but I wish he wasn't catholic. We need a nice baptist under center. A teetotaler if possible.

claymore
03-17-2009, 10:38 AM
I like quinn but I wish he wasn't catholic. We need a nice baptist under center. A teetotaler if possible.

I dont want to see pictures of quinn grabbing male private parts as a Bronco.

weazel
03-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Are you shitting me.

So you would rather give Cutler a soother, tell him he's the best little QB we've ever seen and give him a shit load of money?

Okay, lets say they do give him a new contract with a ton of money. Great let's play!

Oh no, a year later the team loses a couple games and Jay heres a rumor that he might be benched! Oh no, Jay pouts and goes to the media. He say's if he is benched that he wants a trade, he wants out.

This guy is just going to do this his entire career, or until he grows up, which could be years if ever.

Dude's a chump

weazel
03-17-2009, 10:47 AM
i dont want to see pictures of quinn grabbing male private parts as a bronco.

lol

NightTrainLayne
03-17-2009, 10:52 AM
I have to disagree. He was put in a situation to look that way at OU, but they als had to save a little face at the time. Put a player against the university in a PR battle and the U will always win.

From interviews and reports, I think he'll be just fine in the NFL. Just my opinion

Bomar was burning bridges long before he got caught at Big Red Sports and Imports.

You are right that OU is going to win a PR battle, but believe me, from living here, Bomar was digging his own grave long before the other issue came up. Fans were getting tired of his act and his behavior around OKC.

Maybe he's grown up. Maybe he learned a lesson from the situation. If so, then he certainly has NFL talent. It's his attitude I'm more concerned with.

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Bomar was burning bridges long before he got caught at Big Red Sports and Imports.

You are right that OU is going to win a PR battle, but believe me, from living here, Bomar was digging his own grave long before the other issue came up. Fans were getting tired of his act and his behavior around OKC.

Maybe he's grown up. Maybe he learned a lesson from the situation. If so, then he certainly has NFL talent. It's his attitude I'm more concerned with.

I think that's what it comes down to. Growing up. I can get inside his head, but from recent interviews and reports form coaches, etc., it seems like his head is in the right place and he's figured a few things out.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Rhett sucked when I saw him play against NDSU.

BeefStew25
03-17-2009, 11:12 AM
I think Stafford is Pentacostal. I don't want him thinking he can mess with snakes without repercussions.

BeefStew25
03-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Clay, everydude has grabbed anothers dudes junk in jest.

NightTrainLayne
03-17-2009, 11:16 AM
I think Stafford is Pentacostal. I don't want him thinking he can mess with snakes without repercussions.

Pentecostal? Think of the chaos he could cause the defense if he audibled in tongues? You think Peyton throws out a bunch of meaningless jibberish at the line. . .

underrated29
03-17-2009, 11:16 AM
So you would rather give Cutler a soother, tell him he's the best little QB we've ever seen and give him a shit load of money?

Okay, lets say they do give him a new contract with a ton of money. Great let's play!

Oh no, a year later the team loses a couple games and Jay heres a rumor that he might be benched! Oh no, Jay pouts and goes to the media. He say's if he is benched that he wants a trade, he wants out.

This guy is just going to do this his entire career, or until he grows up, which could be years if ever.

Dude's a chump

You cant be serious...

When has jay ever done anything like that. There is a difference between being benched forplaying poorly- like mcnabb did, and being dishonest with your qb or breaking trust....If jay got benched for playing bad- he would be upset, but thats about it, i think then next week he would come back and pull a mcnabb with 4tds....

Mistrust between him and the FO are way different then anything else. We pay him the money- show him we want him here and things should work out nicely-----Or atleast we can all pray it does.

claymore
03-17-2009, 11:17 AM

We need Bus Cook on these talks. I commit to nothing.

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 12:47 PM
You cant be serious...

When has jay ever done anything like that. There is a difference between being benched forplaying poorly- like mcnabb did, and being dishonest with your qb or breaking trust....If jay got benched for playing bad- he would be upset, but thats about it, i think then next week he would come back and pull a mcnabb with 4tds....

Mistrust between him and the FO are way different then anything else. We pay him the money- show him we want him here and things should work out nicely-----Or atleast we can all pray it does.

Based on one mans understanding of another intentions

weazel
03-17-2009, 12:54 PM
You cant be serious...

you have no idea what he would act like! He's overreacting over this, why wouldn't he overreact for being benched?

"If Jay got benched he would be upset but thats about it" You dont have any freaking idea what he would do, but we now see that he doesnt handle adversity very well.

NameUsedBefore
03-17-2009, 12:55 PM
He doesn't handle being lied to very well.

"We weren't trying to trade Cutler."

"Yeah I was trying to trade you and I don't care."

Heh.

weazel
03-17-2009, 12:57 PM

bief, that dude in your avatar is cree-eepy

weazel
03-17-2009, 12:58 PM
He doesn't handle being lied to very well.

"We weren't trying to trade Cutler."

"Yeah I was trying to trade you and I don't care."

Heh.

yup, I was trying to trade you, I am your boss and I have the right to look at any offers and make offers. In fact it is my job to look at offers and even make offers.

Wow, wierd how that works, huh

Im not here saying that it would have been a good deal for the Broncos, but it is his job to do what he thinks makes the team better. Cutler has to grow up and learn that any player can be traded and he shouldnt need to be coddled like a newborn

Mike
03-17-2009, 01:00 PM
You cant be serious...

Maybe that was true with Shanahan. But can you imagine the melt down he would have if McD benched him now? No way he overlooks it.

The only way that it can be fixed is if Cutler grows up and gets over it. If he can't do that, every slight against him will turn into a huge problem. Benching would cause a melt down of major proportions. I don't think Cutler get over it, and that is the reason that I think the situation is beyond repair.

NameUsedBefore
03-17-2009, 01:01 PM
yup, I was trying to trade you, I am your boss and I have the right to look at any offers and make offers. In fact it is my job to look at offers and even make offers.

Wow, wierd how that works, huh

"I'm not trading you."

And then,

"I was trying to trade you and I don't care."

weazel
03-17-2009, 01:02 PM
"I'm not trading you."

And then,

once again, please provide me with the meetings minutes so I can verify that that was in fact what was said.

oh right, noone has actual proof of that transaction.

Even if that in fact was what was said, that means Cutler is right in demanding a trade and whining like a bitch?

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 01:04 PM
"I'm not trading you."

And then,

Or maybe..

"We were presented with a trade offer that we looked into because we are always looking to improve the team. At the end of the day the proposed deal was declined and we are NOT trading Jay. However, that does not mean he or anyone on the team is untradable"

Once again, there are a million ways to interpret it.

NameUsedBefore
03-17-2009, 01:05 PM
once again, please provide me with the meetings minutes so I can verify that that was in fact what was said.

oh right, noone has actual proof of that transaction

I don't need the "minutes" of the meetings. McDaniels publicly said that he wasn't trying to trade Cutler, we now know this is false. The Jay-Josh meeting only says that McDaniels was trying to trade Cutler and would do it again. The latter part is the only "new" bit about it. We all know he was trying to trade Cutler now.

weazel
03-17-2009, 01:07 PM
I don't need the "minutes" of the meetings. McDaniels publicly said that he wasn't trying to trade Cutler, we now know this is false. The Jay-Josh meeting only says that McDaniels was trying to trade Cutler and would do it again. The latter part is the only "new" bit about it. We all know he was trying to trade Cutler now.

You dont need minutes? you just take hearsay as gospel?

So your argument is that McDaniels shouldnt do his job? I understand it would not have been a good deal in our minds, but he was doing his job. Even if he made a mistake in the way he did it, Jay has to grow up and get over it. He's being a child.

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 01:07 PM

I think many people here have the same misunderstanding Jay has.

All I've heard is that Josh LISTENED to trade offers for Jay. I dont ever recall anyone in the FO saying they TRIED to trade him.

NameUsedBefore
03-17-2009, 01:09 PM
So your argument is that McDaniels shouldnt do his job? I understand it would not have been a good deal in our minds, but he was doing his job. Even if he made a mistake in the way he did it, Jay has to grow up and get over it. He's being a child.

No, he's allowed to do his job. However, if he's not being straight with players you can't expect the players to respect him. He slighted Cutler big time and then lied to the whole world about it. All McDaniels had to do was make it straight with Cutler and this whole thing would've gone over easy. Instead the dude is a dictatorial ***** straight out of the long lineage of fail that are the Belichick send-offs and now we may be losing the only saving grace from last year because of it.

And we blame Cutler? Because it's a "business"? Business is business, but you don't lie and treat your employees like shit.

weazel
03-17-2009, 01:10 PM
I think many people here have the same misunderstanding Jay has.

All I've heard is that Josh LISTENED to trade offers for Jay. I dont ever recall anyone in the FO saying they TRIED to trade him.

Even if they tried to trade him, so what! It's his job to do that.

weazel
03-17-2009, 01:11 PM
No, he's allowed to do his job. However, if he's not being straight with players you can't expect the players to respect him. He slighted Cutler big time and then lied to the whole world about it. All McDaniels had to do was make it straight with Cutler and this whole thing would've gone over easy. Instead the dude is a dictatorial ***** straight out of the long lineage of fail that are the Belichick send-offs and now we may be losing the only saving grace from last year because of it.

And we blame Cutler? Because it's a "business"? Business is business, but you don't lie and treat your employees like shit.

no one is placing blame on Cutler for not liking the fact he was offered in a trade, were placing blame that it happens all the time and he needs to grow a sack and get over it.

I just dont understand how anyone can look at this and say Cutler is doing the right thing. The only thing I can come up with is that the people siding with him are as immature as he is.

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Even if they tried to trade him, so what! It's his job to do that.

I agree, but if he TRIED to and said he didnt try and then turned around said said he DID try, then I could see the point about being lied to...but since it didnt happen that way...I guess I just dont see where the lies happened.

weazel
03-17-2009, 01:14 PM
I just hope it works out, this is the worst I have felt about this teams future in a while.

JKcatch724
03-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Oh God. They're discussing the possible Cutler-Romo trade on 1st and 10.

omac
03-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Oh God. They're discussing the possible Cutler-Romo trade on 1st and 10.

:D Aaaccckk! The Broncos will have a raw deal, but at least Romo isn't connected with any prior negative bias from die-hard Jake fans.

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Please no Romo! Has Cassell got a new multi year contract yet? I bet that's McD's plan...I say keep Cutler for one more year. let him sit out and payback signing bonus money. Trade him next year!

LoyalSoldier
03-17-2009, 03:28 PM

Yea, but they were taken in the 6th and 7th round respectively. No one wasted high draft picks on them.

If Cutler walks and is hugely successful with his new team then it will be seen as one of the biggest blunders in NFL history.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-17-2009, 08:01 PM
I actually like Quinn. Of the 3 options, he'd be the one I want. If we got the #1 overall and intended to take a QB, I'd actually wait til #12. Other than San Fran, who is gonna take a QB? We'd have Detroit's pick and KC now has Cassell. We could get a stud defender and then "settle" for Sanchez if San Fran did go QB. Just Say no to Romo.