PDA

View Full Version : Kickin' it: Terrell Davis faces tough run for proper honor in Canton

Denver Native (Carol)
02-19-2012, 12:03 PM
No reward for T.D. Every year that goes by without former Broncos running back Terrell Davis voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, I get a bit more upset. When I think of T.D., I think of Gale Sayers of the Chicago Bears and wonder how he got voted in. I look at Sayers' record, and it nowhere comes near what Davis accomplished. They both played seven seasons in the NFL and their careers ended the same way: bad knees. That's where the similarities end. Sayers played in 68- of-98 possible regular-season games and never participated in the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl. Davis has two championship rings and was the league MVP in 1998, when he was one of six running backs who had ever gained more than 2,000 yards in a season. What is it that these Hall of Fame voters don't get? I'm baffled.

Carey, Glendale

Kiszla's response to this plus other questions and responses - http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19997602

Nomad
02-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Perhaps Kizla is right and Sayers is/was a mistake to be enshrined and Davis is paying the price, but I'll still be a homer and want Davis in.

MOtorboat
02-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Perhaps Kizla is right and Sayers is/was a mistake to be enshrined and Davis is paying the price, but I'll still be a homer and want Davis in.

Kizla is probably right, and that sucks.

They set the standard years ago. Davis beat the standard and some, and then the voters want to change the standards? It stinks.

Chef Zambini
02-19-2012, 02:00 PM
sayers had a meteoric career. the voters were influenced.
HOF voting requiring a 5 year wait, is also part of the SAYERS effect.
So lets set the sayers cvomparisons aside for a moment.

( BTW I met GS, a very nice person who shared with me personnaly, and has also been often quoted, publicly, that TD does indeed BELONG in the HOF )
Lets compare TDS # in the play-offs with EVERY OTHER RB in the HOF !
NOne of them have his avg yards per game, none have his win %
nobody tops his number of 100 yard games
he was the MVP and one of only a handful of RBs e who have cracked the 2k barrier.
The comparisons with sayers end with longevity.
TD has earned his place in CANTON, based on merit and performance, especially in the play-offs when running yards are at their premium.

tomjonesrocks
02-19-2012, 02:33 PM
I agree with the frustration, but Davis doesn't have a prayer. Too short a career. And there are lots of good RBs to pick from.

The team he played for doesn't help either. If he played for the Dallas Cowboys or something I honestly believe he would have a better chance of beating the odds.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-19-2012, 03:01 PM
I agree with the frustration, but Davis doesn't have a prayer. Too short a career. And there are lots of good RBs to pick from.

The team he played for doesn't help either. If he played for the Dallas Cowboys or something I honestly believe he would have a better chance of beating the odds.

Too short a career is part of the argument - Sayers also only played 7 seasons, plus some of them were not full seasons because of injuries.

Sayers had a lot of magnificent days; enough to land him in the Pro Football Hall of Fame at age 34, the youngest inductee ever. Packing them into a short career makes them even more remarkable. In seven seasons (only 68 games because of two devastating knee injuries), Sayers collected honors more representative of a life's work.

http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00016460.html

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-19-2012, 05:51 PM
The voting process for the HOF is a disgrace. Cris Cater not being voted in is a disgrace. Randy Gradishar not being in is a disgrace.

The list goes on and on.

The whole system needs to be overhauled.

Northman
02-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Ive said it before and ill say it again, Davis belongs period.

Npba900
02-19-2012, 09:12 PM
The voting process for the HOF is a disgrace. Cris Cater not being voted in is a disgrace. Randy Gradishar not being in is a disgrace.

The list goes on and on.

The whole system needs to be overhauled.

What do you expect when you have fat azz sports writers who in many cases never even played in the NFL all coming together like natural disaster to cast their votes.:tsk:

MOtorboat
02-19-2012, 09:19 PM
What do you expect when you have fat azz sports writers who in many cases never even played in the NFL all coming together like natural disaster to cast their votes.:tsk:

Let's let the fat azz fans do it instead.

:rolleyes:

Npba900
02-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Let's let the fat azz fans do it instead.

:rolleyes:

Lets take the FAT out of the equation period!!!!:beer:

wayninja
02-19-2012, 09:50 PM
This is going to get me gang-raped, but I'm just going to say it.

Davis belongs. Please know that I feel Davis belongs, but having said that, he is NOT on the top of the list of Broncos that have been snubbed by these canton-ese douchebags. And it's a ridiculous travesty that Sayers is in, and Davis is not.

Before Davis can make an appearance, Gradishar and Mecklenburg need to be enshrined.

I'm on the fence between Atwater and Davis on who should be first, but don't care as long as both make it.

There, I said it. Do your worst

MOtorboat
02-19-2012, 09:54 PM
This is going to get me gang-raped, but I'm just going to say it.

Davis belongs. Please know that I feel Davis belongs, but having said that, he is NOT on the top of the list of Broncos that have been snubbed by these canton-ese douchebags.

Before Davis can make an appearance, Gradishar and Mecklenburg need to be enshrined.

I'm on the fence between Atwater and Davis on who should be first, but don't care as long as both make it.

There, I said it. Do your worst

I agree, to some extent.

Gradishar, for sure. Mecklenburg is borderline.

I will say neither has a Super Bowl MVP, MVP and the pinnacle accomplishment of their stated position (2,000 yard season), though.

wayninja
02-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Mecklenburg is borderline.

8 words.

All 7 front defensive positions in one game.

Also, **** YOU YOU GODDAMN MOTHER******! I'LL ******* RIP OUT YOUR ******* TRACHEA AND STUFF VENISION IN IT AND EAT IT AS SUPPOSITORY!

MOtorboat
02-19-2012, 10:01 PM
8 words.

All 7 front defensive positions in one game.

Also, **** YOU YOU GODDAMN MOTHER******! I'LL ******* RIP OUT YOUR ******* TRACHEA AND STUFF VENISION IN IT AND EAT IT AS SUPPOSITORY!

Venison.

G_Money
02-19-2012, 10:06 PM
As I have said on the TD front before:

There are 27 modern RBs in the HOF (1950 onward, at the time I did this - Martin makes another, obviously). How does the fewest games played go?

Doak Walker: 67 (played 50-55, not really as a HB, elected 86)
Gale Sayers: 68 (played 65-71)
Charley Trippi: 99 (played 47-55, elected 68)
Paul Hornung: 104 (played 57-62, 64-65, elected 86)
Marion Motley: 106 (played 46-55, elected 68)
Earl Campbell: 115 (played 78-85, elected 91)
Floyd Little: 117 (played 67-75, elected 10)
Jim Brown: 118 (played 57-65)

Terrell Davis played in 81 games.

Of all the running backs in the last 50+ years, the only guys with fewer games who got elected were a guy who played QB, HB, WR, KR, et al and the inestimable Gale Sayers who had a very famous movie made about him (Brian's Song). Nobody on this list played in the last 20 years, and Campbell's the only one who played in the last 35.

It's possible that he makes it in - I just don't expect it any time soon, judging by the lack of respect Broncos get generally and the extreme amounts of time it took guys like Hornung and Walker and Little to get in.

~G

wayninja
02-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Venison.

**** YOU GRAMMAR ******* NAZI!

Ok, It's all out now.