PDA

View Full Version : Cutler isn't the only loser in Broncos' blame game

turftoad
03-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Sorry guys, yeah I know, another Cutler thread. However, this is one of the best ones I've read and thought it deserved it's own.
I didn't see it posted anywhere else:

------------------------------------------
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f49d80&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Josh McDaniels met with his players on Monday morning for the first time as a group. And with the ruckus, the rumble already created between McDaniels and quarterback Jay Cutler, there is no way that some of those players left that meeting wondering if McDaniels said what they think he said and if he meant what he said.

Cutler -- who skipped the involuntary pow-wow -- already has his answer.

Cutler's version of the events that preceded his request for a trade and that has put the entire Denver Broncos organization in upheaval is that McDaniels is shady and a fraud. Cutler says that McDaniels, who replaced Mike Shannahan as Broncos head coach on Jan. 12, soon afterward told Cutler that he looked forward to working with him, then worked for a trade that would ship Cutler out and bring Matt Cassel in, then denied it, then said he did entertain talks but did not instigate them, then said Cutler would not be traded.

McDaniels was quoted in the Denver Post on Monday as saying: "Obviously, the trade went through with another team. We moved on. I'm not sure if that's where all the discontent stems from or not. I'm sure most of it does."

Huh?

Well, if he is not sure if that is where it all stems from, what else could it be? That maybe McDaniels watched Cutler act like a buffoon in the way he publicly handled his differences with Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers? Or the way Cutler stumbled his way into a silly discussion over whether his arm was stronger than John Elway's? Or the fact that Cutler is a winging quarterback who in the end will always force the ball, force things and not play the measured, coach-first style that McDaniels gleaned upon in New England?

No doubt, Culter is 25 years old and in some ways is as immature as his actions and age indicate. He needs nurturing as a man as much as he needs it at quarterback. That is a given.

But the onus is on the head coach in this one, because McDaniels did not accurately gauge who he was dealing with and what the fallout would become from a lack of solid communication from the get-go.

What McDaniels needed to do was call Cutler in as soon as Cassel became a topic and say this: Look, Jay, you know how you loved your relationship with Jeremy Bates as your offensive coordinator when he was here? And let's say Jeremy got an NFL head coaching job and Cassel was his quarterback. You think Jeremy would pick Cassel or you if he had a chance? Of course, he would pick you. I am going to take a look at getting Cassel. If that doesn't work, so be it, we will move forward."

Cutler's ego would have been injured, but his trust and respect for McDaniels' integrity would have remained intact.

But what McDaniels did was dangle and dip into a possible deal that would have brought Cassel in for more than $14 million and given up a draft choice while sending his quarterback packing and discussing this with two other teams with agents involved. No way that was not going to leak.

Quarterbacks and head coaches are linked at the hip, especially when the head coach serves as the chief offensive mind, as McDaniels will in Denver. Their days are often 15-hour ones spent together, mapping and building, tinkering and tutoring. You had better figure out what you have in your quarterback, especially his make-up. And Cutler is an intelligent young man with a degree from Vanderbilt. He is prideful and not the kind of person who accepts a lack of honesty in reality or appearance. His relationship with his coach means a ton to him, more than one with fans or a community. That trust is a backbone for Cutler, and, really, for most NFL quarterbacks.

McDaniels took a shot at getting Cassel and hoped it would remain quiet.

A shot in the dark that is now under steaming bright lights.

This is the story of a young quarterback and a young coach (McDaniels is 32) who both have soared early, who are both hotshots in what they do. Often, two young, bold minds clash rather than complement the other, especially when both jostle for an upper hand. These are two young people with similar passion and fire who wound up a colliding train.

Despite his age, the onus is on the coach.

He has to be the leader. He has to fix it. Solve the problem. Find a way to clear the air. Lead. Or grab him a new starting quarterback and move on. His general manager, Brian Xanders, only age 37, was obviously not a source of advisement to McDaniels that could have prevented this disarray.

Usually a first-year coach gets a honeymoon.

McDaniels has ensured his lasted for, oh, barely a couple of months. Part of his attraction is that for a young coach, he is a man of conviction and purpose.

Can he fix what is broken with Cutler or find a new answer?

And can he instill confidence and trust across the Broncos' locker room?

I do not think we have to wait long for both of those answers. Sure, the NFL is business. This was risky business that looks headed for more bizarre than benefit.

Shazam!
03-16-2009, 10:22 PM
2009 is really in jeopardy by creating such a rift. This is beyond whose fault it is/was. This **** is reaching critical mass. If something isn't done, 2009 already is a failure. I want what is best for the Broncos. Get Jay happy so the team is happy. This seems to obviously be the best road. Even if McD is a God with QBs and they draft someone like Stafford, or bring in a Quin or Anderson, regardless of how talented they are this will set Denver back years and possibly lead to a small revolt by the veterans who were here during Cutler's time. I am really starting to fear for the future now if this mess isn't contained NOW. As in ASAP.

Lonestar
03-17-2009, 12:30 AM
what do we not get here jay is under contract to DEN.

they can keep him or trade him

until they do stop the drama

the SKY IS NOT FALLING,

when they go to mini camp and the moron is not there then worry about it..

Davii
03-17-2009, 12:39 AM

the SKY IS NOT FALLING,

Jay won't skip anything he is required to be at. I think he shows to the mini camps and it gets fixed then, if not, he's traded on draft day.

atwater27
03-17-2009, 01:06 AM

Why wouldn't the new coach be at minicamp silly?

bcbronc
03-17-2009, 01:24 AM
What McDaniels needed to do was call Cutler in as soon as Cassel became a topic and say this: Look, Jay, you know how you loved your relationship with Jeremy Bates as your offensive coordinator when he was here? And let's say Jeremy got an NFL head coaching job and Cassel was his quarterback. You think Jeremy would pick Cassel or you if he had a chance? Of course, he would pick you. I am going to take a look at getting Cassel. If that doesn't work, so be it, we will move forward."

I don't agree with this. I don't think you tell your QB you're looking into replacing him before you actually start doing it. first off, the FO doesn't need any player's permission to investigate trading them. second, do you really think Jay would have handled that better? "Sounds good Coach. Give me a call when you know if you're going to be able to get your guy." please, that's 100x worse as a plan.

but the Bates reference is exactly why Jay should stop being a baby about this. Jay should understand how a DC and QB can develop a bond. And to Jay's credit, I think he does and that's why he said he can understand why McDaniels would bring Cassel in. and I get that Jay's competitive. anyone with a drop competitive juice wants to be the first player picked at recess. but man up and get over it.

leave your agent at home for a day. go grab lunch with your coach. Look him in the eye and tell him it pisses you off that he would even consider trading you. then shake hands with the ***** and win us some frickin Lombardis.

claymore
03-17-2009, 07:35 AM

the SKY IS NOT FALLING,

Jay Cutler is not livestock. They can force him to be here but they cant make him try.

Dirk
03-17-2009, 07:52 AM
That was a great read. It had a lot of good points in it.

I agree that you don't say to your QB that you are going to go after another QB up front. But, you do tell him why and be honest when it goes public and try to make amends.

Jay needs to grow up a bit, and Coach McD needs to own up a bit. Fix this **** and get to work. OMG i'm tired of..."As the Rockie Mountains Turn" soap opera...

Den21vsBal19
03-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Jay Cutler is not livestock. They can force him to be here but they cant make him try.
They shouldn't need to make him try....................he should go & play lights out as a matter of professional pride, and either prove the coach wrong, or maximise his own earning potential with any trade and new deal.............

He may get away with beingt a jerk off the pitch, but he'll never get what he wants if he acts like one on it

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Go figure an article bashing the coach would be labeled as "one of the better ones"

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Jay won't skip anything he is required to be at. I think he shows to the mini camps and it gets fixed then, if not, he's traded on draft day.

It's not in his contract, but it's on his chest. It's my personal opinion that as long as your team puts the "C" on your uniform, you are obligated by THEM to show up for everything. Again...just my opinion.

claymore
03-17-2009, 08:29 AM
They shouldn't need to make him try....................he should go & play lights out as a matter of professional pride, and either prove the coach wrong, or maximise his own earning potential with any trade and new deal.............

He may get away with beingt a jerk off the pitch, but he'll never get what he wants if he acts like one on it

If Jay Cutler isnt in the Broncos Plans, and his best intrest isnt at heart, then I dont blame him for taking care of himself.

His loyalty and trust were broken by the head coach who represents the organization. Why should he come back and work 2-3 years for a guy that has no loyalty?

Force a trade now and move on. I would probably do the same thing.

Den21vsBal19
03-17-2009, 08:34 AM
If Jay Cutler isnt in the Broncos Plans, and his best intrest isnt at heart, then I dont blame him for taking care of himself.

His loyalty and trust were broken by the head coach who represents the organization. Why should he come back and work 2-3 years for a guy that has no loyalty?

Forcing it in the wrong way will only hurt him....................

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 08:36 AM

Devil's Advocate.

You're a new head coach and you want to implement your system at your new job. Right away, your young QB shows he is upset at the loss of his previous head coach and QB coach and reportedly wants a trade. Then after a few weeks, he comes in and talks to you. What happens during those talks and meetings, none of us can even begin to assume. but...maybe Jay complains about the philosophy...maybe he doesnt show much desire to run the system...who knows. Again, just throwing out possibilities, but if that happened...would you be compelled to feel loyal?

After all this, an opportunity to receive a QB who knows your system and likes it. Would you seriously NOT listen to the offer?

Keep in mind anything I stated in the above scenario is all speculation and possibility. because like anyone else...that's ALL I can interject.

claymore
03-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Devil's Advocate.

You're a new head coach and you want to implement your system at your new job. Right away, your young QB shows he is upset at the loss of his previous head coach and QB coach and reportedly wants a trade. Then after a few weeks, he comes in and talks to you. What happens during those talks and meetings, none of us can even begin to assume. but...maybe Jay complains about the philosophy...maybe he doesnt show much desire to run the system...who knows. Again, just throwing out possibilities, but if that happened...would you be compelled to feel loyal?

After all this, an opportunity to receive a QB who knows your system and likes it. Would you seriously NOT listen to the offer?

Keep in mind anything I stated in the above scenario is all speculation and possibility. because like anyone else...that's ALL I can interject.

I see your point, but I believe Cutler could play in any system. And to be honest I dont know if our Line is adapted to play McD's system either.

Cutler excelled last year, and thrived in Shannahans system. with current players, and scrub running backs.

So having said that, I would try and get him on board, stroke his ego, and get his input on plays etc... so it becomes Jay's system as well.

I think McD came in and tried to be way fancier than he should have.

claymore
03-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Forcing it in the wrong way will only hurt him....................

There is only one way to force a trade. If the Broncos love him and have loyalties etc, they will prove it and get him back in.

CoachChaz
03-17-2009, 08:45 AM
I see your point, but I believe Cutler could play in any system. And to be honest I dont know if our Line is adapted to play McD's system either.

Cutler excelled last year, and thrived in Shannahans system. with current players, and scrub running backs.

So having said that, I would try and get him on board, stroke his ego, and get his input on plays etc... so it becomes Jay's system as well.

I think McD came in and tried to be way fancier than he should have.

Yes, the system can definately be adjusted to play to the strengths of the QB and the O-line, but we DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED. Until we do...NONE of us can say who is wrong or right.

Shazam!
03-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Another point-

Brian Griese, who was the closest thing Denver had to a starting QB since 2000, whose arm strength and ability often questioned, did he cry and whine when it was broke that Shanahan was pursuing Steve Young out of retirement? It wasn't like this.

Mike
03-17-2009, 08:57 AM

If he feels that strongly about it then he should continue to seek the trade. But until then he should be a leader, show up, and honor the contract. All that it will do is drive your image and value up with other teams and fans. I agree that he was wronged and understand why he feels what he feels...but it is time for him to man up and be a leader.

All he is doing now is damaging his image and lowering his value. Show up, shut up, be the team player and, if you can't be traded, then walk when the contract is up.

Mike
03-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Another point-

Brian Griese, who was the closest thing Denver had to a starting QB since 2000, whose arm strength and ability often questioned, did he cry and whine when it was broke that Shanahan was pursuing Steve Young out of retirement? It wasn't like this.

Different people, different personalities.

Shazam!
03-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Same scenario, even worse to an extent.

Jaws
03-17-2009, 09:05 AM

Not so sure. There are times when he's been a bit of a cow and something of an ass too

Then again McD has been running around like a headless chicken at times too.

Welcome to Broncos farm/zoo/jungle !

;)

Mike
03-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Same scenario, even worse to an extent.

Doesn't change the fact that different people will respond to similar situations with different takes based on their personality.

Northman
03-17-2009, 09:14 AM

Ive heard that somewhere before. :D