PDA

View Full Version : Josh McDaniels is not making a good first impression

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2009, 08:05 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Josh-McDaniels-is-not-making-a-good-first-impres?urn=nfl,148310

Maybe Josh McDaniels will turn out to be a great head coach. Maybe he'll go on to win five Super Bowls and make everyone in Denver forget Mike Shanahan.

But it's really, really hard to see that from here.

In his first two months on the job, McDaniels's lone accomplishment as Denver head coach has been to alienate the most important player in the franchise. Forget the issue of who's right and who's wrong, the bottom line is that Jay Cutler, the franchise quarterback, now seems to hate McDaniels and has officially asked to be traded.

That's not good. In fact, it's a giant step backwards. Part of being head coach in the NFL today is soothing bruised egos, and even if Cutler is being a baby (and he absolutely is), he's still the quarterback you have, and you've still got to find a way to make it work. So far, McDaniels has failed colossally.

Costing the company one of its most valuable assets is generally not want you want to do when you start working somewhere. It's like being hired at McDonalds headquarters and immediately injecting salmonella into all the Big Macs. It's like being hired at Sterling Cooper, and on your first day, slapping Don Draper in the face and then sleeping with his wife.

You just wouldn't do that. He's your star. You need him happy. At the very least, you need him to be willing to continue working there.

Eventually, who knows, Josh McDaniels might actually do something positive for the Broncos organization. He hasn't yet, though. All he's done is take the Broncos a huge step closer to reverting to the post-Elway era of shuffling mediocre quarterbacks.

JONtheBRONCO
03-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Jesus... The second time I've said this tonight in a thread, this time it's aimed towards McDaniels... Give the guy a chance, get back to me during the season. The damage is done, you don't have to like McDaniels... but give the guy a chance. He hasn't even put on a head set yet in a Broncos hoodie. I'm not ready to jump ship..

getlynched47
03-16-2009, 08:13 PM
McDaniels is a d-bag...end of story.

Lonestar
03-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Good press release from bus cooks office

getlynched47
03-16-2009, 08:15 PM
McDaniels = Epic Failure :lol:

Den21vsBal19
03-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Hard to soothe egos when the ego in need of soothing either won't talk, or will only talk via his agent................

JONtheBRONCO
03-16-2009, 08:21 PM

Dude, I love Cutler just as much as you, we all do... I don't think any of us here wanted to see this happen... But it did.

Those who are quick to judge often trip over their feet...

getlynched47
03-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Dude, I love Cutler just as much as you, we all do... I don't think any of us here wanted to see this happen... But it did.

Did you read the ESPN article? McDaniels was caught in a lie and now can not get out of it!

He screwed himself! :lol:

Dean
03-16-2009, 08:31 PM

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck it probably is a duck.

skycoyote
03-16-2009, 08:37 PM
This is starting to remind me of when Les Steckle took over for Bud Grant. The Vikings went 3-13 that year and Bud had to come out of retirement to save the team.

spikerman
03-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Jesus... ... The damage is done, ... He hasn't even put on a head set yet in a Broncos hoodie. ...
Those two parts of your quote sum up the problem. He hasn't done anything on the field yet and the team is already in turmoil. Not good.

spikerman
03-16-2009, 08:41 PM
This is starting to remind me of when Les Steckle took over for Bud Grant. The Vikings went 3-13 that year and Bud had to come out of retirement to save the team.

Paging Dr. Shanahan. Is there a Dr. Shanahan in the house? :D

getlynched47
03-16-2009, 08:43 PM
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck it probably is a duck.

or a jack ass (donkey), in McDipShit's case...

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2009, 08:59 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f49d80&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Josh McDaniels met with his players on Monday morning for the first time as a group. And with the ruckus, the rumble already created between McDaniels and quarterback Jay Cutler, there is no way that some of those players left that meeting wondering if McDaniels said what they think he said and if he meant what he said.

Cutler -- who skipped the involuntary pow-wow -- already has his answer.

Cutler's version of the events that preceded his request for a trade and that has put the entire Denver Broncos organization in upheaval is that McDaniels is shady and a fraud. Cutler says that McDaniels, who replaced Mike Shannahan as Broncos head coach on Jan. 12, soon afterward told Cutler that he looked forward to working with him, then worked for a trade that would ship Cutler out and bring Matt Cassel in, then denied it, then said he did entertain talks but did not instigate them, then said Cutler would not be traded.

McDaniels was quoted in the Denver Post on Monday as saying: "Obviously, the trade went through with another team. We moved on. I'm not sure if that's where all the discontent stems from or not. I'm sure most of it does."

Huh?

Well, if he is not sure if that is where it all stems from, what else could it be? That maybe McDaniels watched Cutler act like a buffoon in the way he publicly handled his differences with Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers? Or the way Cutler stumbled his way into a silly discussion over whether his arm was stronger than John Elway's? Or the fact that Cutler is a winging quarterback who in the end will always force the ball, force things and not play the measured, coach-first style that McDaniels gleaned upon in New England?

No doubt, Culter is 25 years old and in some ways is as immature as his actions and age indicate. He needs nurturing as a man as much as he needs it at quarterback. That is a given.

But the onus is on the head coach in this one, because McDaniels did not accurately gauge who he was dealing with and what the fallout would become from a lack of solid communication from the get-go.

What McDaniels needed to do was call Cutler in as soon as Cassel became a topic and say this: Look, Jay, you know how you loved your relationship with Jeremy Bates as your offensive coordinator when he was here? And let's say Jeremy got an NFL head coaching job and Cassel was his quarterback. You think Jeremy would pick Cassel or you if he had a chance? Of course, he would pick you. I am going to take a look at getting Cassel. If that doesn't work, so be it, we will move forward."

Cutler's ego would have been injured, but his trust and respect for McDaniels' integrity would have remained intact.

But what McDaniels did was dangle and dip into a possible deal that would have brought Cassel in for more than $14 million and given up a draft choice while sending his quarterback packing and discussing this with two other teams with agents involved. No way that was not going to leak.

Quarterbacks and head coaches are linked at the hip, especially when the head coach serves as the chief offensive mind, as McDaniels will in Denver. Their days are often 15-hour ones spent together, mapping and building, tinkering and tutoring. You had better figure out what you have in your quarterback, especially his make-up. And Cutler is an intelligent young man with a degree from Vanderbilt. He is prideful and not the kind of person who accepts a lack of honesty in reality or appearance. His relationship with his coach means a ton to him, more than one with fans or a community. That trust is a backbone for Cutler, and, really, for most NFL quarterbacks.

McDaniels took a shot at getting Cassel and hoped it would remain quiet.

A shot in the dark that is now under steaming bright lights.

This is the story of a young quarterback and a young coach (McDaniels is 32) who both have soared early, who are both hotshots in what they do. Often, two young, bold minds clash rather than complement the other, especially when both jostle for an upper hand. These are two young people with similar passion and fire who wound up a colliding train.

Despite his age, the onus is on the coach.

He has to be the leader. He has to fix it. Solve the problem. Find a way to clear the air. Lead. Or grab him a new starting quarterback and move on. His general manager, Brian Xanders, only age 37, was obviously not a source of advisement to McDaniels that could have prevented this disarray.

Usually a first-year coach gets a honeymoon.

McDaniels has ensured his lasted for, oh, barely a couple of months. Part of his attraction is that for a young coach, he is a man of conviction and purpose.

Can he fix what is broken with Cutler or find a new answer?

And can he instill confidence and trust across the Broncos locker room?

I do not think we have to wait long for both of those answers. Sure, the NFL is business. This was risky business that looks headed for more bizarre than benefit.

WARHORSE
03-16-2009, 09:51 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f49d80&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Josh McDaniels met with his players on Monday morning for the first time as a group. And with the ruckus, the rumble already created between McDaniels and quarterback Jay Cutler, there is no way that some of those players left that meeting wondering if McDaniels said what they think he said and if he meant what he said.

Cutler -- who skipped the involuntary pow-wow -- already has his answer.

Cutler's version of the events that preceded his request for a trade and that has put the entire Denver Broncos organization in upheaval is that McDaniels is shady and a fraud. Cutler says that McDaniels, who replaced Mike Shannahan as Broncos head coach on Jan. 12, soon afterward told Cutler that he looked forward to working with him, then worked for a trade that would ship Cutler out and bring Matt Cassel in, then denied it, then said he did entertain talks but did not instigate them, then said Cutler would not be traded.

McDaniels was quoted in the Denver Post on Monday as saying: "Obviously, the trade went through with another team. We moved on. I'm not sure if that's where all the discontent stems from or not. I'm sure most of it does."

Huh?

Well, if he is not sure if that is where it all stems from, what else could it be? That maybe McDaniels watched Cutler act like a buffoon in the way he publicly handled his differences with Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers? Or the way Cutler stumbled his way into a silly discussion over whether his arm was stronger than John Elway's? Or the fact that Cutler is a winging quarterback who in the end will always force the ball, force things and not play the measured, coach-first style that McDaniels gleaned upon in New England?

No doubt, Culter is 25 years old and in some ways is as immature as his actions and age indicate. He needs nurturing as a man as much as he needs it at quarterback. That is a given.

But the onus is on the head coach in this one, because McDaniels did not accurately gauge who he was dealing with and what the fallout would become from a lack of solid communication from the get-go.

What McDaniels needed to do was call Cutler in as soon as Cassel became a topic and say this: Look, Jay, you know how you loved your relationship with Jeremy Bates as your offensive coordinator when he was here? And let's say Jeremy got an NFL head coaching job and Cassel was his quarterback. You think Jeremy would pick Cassel or you if he had a chance? Of course, he would pick you. I am going to take a look at getting Cassel. If that doesn't work, so be it, we will move forward."

Cutler's ego would have been injured, but his trust and respect for McDaniels' integrity would have remained intact.

But what McDaniels did was dangle and dip into a possible deal that would have brought Cassel in for more than $14 million and given up a draft choice while sending his quarterback packing and discussing this with two other teams with agents involved. No way that was not going to leak.

Quarterbacks and head coaches are linked at the hip, especially when the head coach serves as the chief offensive mind, as McDaniels will in Denver. Their days are often 15-hour ones spent together, mapping and building, tinkering and tutoring. You had better figure out what you have in your quarterback, especially his make-up. And Cutler is an intelligent young man with a degree from Vanderbilt. He is prideful and not the kind of person who accepts a lack of honesty in reality or appearance. His relationship with his coach means a ton to him, more than one with fans or a community. That trust is a backbone for Cutler, and, really, for most NFL quarterbacks.

McDaniels took a shot at getting Cassel and hoped it would remain quiet.

A shot in the dark that is now under steaming bright lights.

This is the story of a young quarterback and a young coach (McDaniels is 32) who both have soared early, who are both hotshots in what they do. Often, two young, bold minds clash rather than complement the other, especially when both jostle for an upper hand. These are two young people with similar passion and fire who wound up a colliding train.

Despite his age, the onus is on the coach.

He has to be the leader. He has to fix it. Solve the problem. Find a way to clear the air. Lead. Or grab him a new starting quarterback and move on. His general manager, Brian Xanders, only age 37, was obviously not a source of advisement to McDaniels that could have prevented this disarray.

Usually a first-year coach gets a honeymoon.

McDaniels has ensured his lasted for, oh, barely a couple of months. Part of his attraction is that for a young coach, he is a man of conviction and purpose.

Can he fix what is broken with Cutler or find a new answer?

And can he instill confidence and trust across the Broncos locker room?

I do not think we have to wait long for both of those answers. Sure, the NFL is business. This was risky business that looks headed for more bizarre than benefit.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say that even McFilletOfish isnt THAT dumb.
If I find out its true, Im gonna call him the dumbest player value evaluator in the history of mankind.

He was gonna bring in a one year QB who needs to be paid 14 million, and let go of a 25 year old third year pro bowl QB with a 1.5 million salary, coming off a 4500 yard season AND A DRAFT PICK???

McSTUNNING!!

LoyalSoldier
03-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Jesus... The second time I've said this tonight in a thread, this time it's aimed towards McDaniels... Give the guy a chance, get back to me during the season. The damage is done, you don't have to like McDaniels... but give the guy a chance. He hasn't even put on a head set yet in a Broncos hoodie. I'm not ready to jump ship..

I was going to give him a chance till all of a sudden I logged on one night to find he had tried to throw the baby (Cutler) out with the bath water.

It was stupid to want Cassel. Just flat out stupid. It is ok to sign players from your old club, but don't change for the sake of changing!!!

bcbronc
03-16-2009, 09:56 PM
seriously though, does a blog entry from MJD really need it's own thread? this is getting out of hand.

broncofaninfla
03-17-2009, 09:25 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Josh-McDaniels-is-not-making-a-good-first-impres?urn=nfl,148310

Maybe Josh McDaniels will turn out to be a great head coach. Maybe he'll go on to win five Super Bowls and make everyone in Denver forget Mike Shanahan.

But it's really, really hard to see that from here.

In his first two months on the job, McDaniels's lone accomplishment as Denver head coach has been to alienate the most important player in the franchise. Forget the issue of who's right and who's wrong, the bottom line is that Jay Cutler, the franchise quarterback, now seems to hate McDaniels and has officially asked to be traded.

That's not good. In fact, it's a giant step backwards. Part of being head coach in the NFL today is soothing bruised egos, and even if Cutler is being a baby (and he absolutely is), he's still the quarterback you have, and you've still got to find a way to make it work. So far, McDaniels has failed colossally.

Costing the company one of its most valuable assets is generally not want you want to do when you start working somewhere. It's like being hired at McDonalds headquarters and immediately injecting salmonella into all the Big Macs. It's like being hired at Sterling Cooper, and on your first day, slapping Don Draper in the face and then sleeping with his wife.

You just wouldn't do that. He's your star. You need him happy. At the very least, you need him to be willing to continue working there.

Eventually, who knows, Josh McDaniels might actually do something positive for the Broncos organization. He hasn't yet, though. All he's done is take the Broncos a huge step closer to reverting to the post-Elway era of shuffling mediocre quarterbacks.

I totally agree, thanks for posting.

roomemp
03-17-2009, 09:47 AM

I posted this in another thread. I think it applies.

I am a Denver Broncos fan. Not a Cutler fan. I stand by the Broncos 100%, even if the decision they make is questionable. Cutler has admitted he does not want to be a Bronco. Doesn't that make you mad being a Broncos fan?