PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs RB Holmes to begin practicing

Broncos Mtnman
10-15-2007, 11:38 PM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Running back Priest Holmes, who hasn't played or practiced since October 2006, will begin practicing on Wednesday. Kansas City coach Herm Edwards did not rule out the possibility that he might play this week against Oakland.

The former Pro Bowler has been on the ineligible list and not able to practice since he unexpectedly reported to training camp in July.

Asked when Holmes, 34, might appear in a game, Edwards said, "We'll see."

The Chiefs coach said he did not know if there was a possibility the Chiefs (3-3) would activate their former team rushing champion in time for Sunday's game.

"I'd like to see him practice first. I'll be able to answer that Wednesday after practice or Thursday," Edwards said.

Holmes, who scored a then-NFL record 27 touchdowns in 2003, sustained neck and spinal injuries in a game at San Diego on Oct. 30, 2005, when he was hit by Shawne Merriman. He was placed on the physically unable to perform list and stayed there until he showed up at training camp in River Falls, Wis. According to NFL rules, he becomes eligible to practice this week.

The three-time Pro Bowler, who scored a then-NFL record 27 touchdowns in 2003, has been working out at the Chiefs facility and looks fit. After signing as a free agent in 2001, he set the Chiefs career rushing record with 5,933 yards.

His 2005 injury gave Larry Johnson his chance to start, and the disgruntled former first-round pick charged into stardom, rushing for more than 1,750 each of the past two seasons and being named to the Pro Bowl.

Edwards said he's been in almost daily contact with Holmes.

"We talk about where he's at, how he's doing, what we're thinking. We've communicated. He knows what I expect and I know where he's at right now. When I talked to him last week, he wanted to know if this (current week) was the week. I said, 'Is it?' He said, 'Yeah.' So I said, 'Let's go."'

Edwards agreed that Holmes, who played at 213 pounds, seemed fit.

"He feels very good. I haven't seen him practice, so we'll see. You've got to find a way to get him in the game. But we haven't seen him practice yet. You'll get a sense of that from how he does in practice. That's all you can go by. You get a feel for when it's time to get him in a game."

Johnson, in the meantime, is having a rough season after sitting out almost the entire training camp and then signing a six-year, $45 million deal that makes him the highest-paid player in team history. He scored his first touchdown of the season Sunday against Cincinnati and has drawn the ire of fans by what many see as petulant behavior. Twice he has drawn penalties after spiking the ball during games to show his frustration at poor blocking.

He also has stopped speaking publicly, even though he promised after signing his big contract to become a team leader.

In addition to Johnson as an offensive weapon, the Chiefs have Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez, who is having another banner season, and rookie wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, who has had several big games.

"Think about it. You've only got so many snaps, 65 or maybe 70 snaps in a game," Edwards said. "You've got Larry, you've got Tony Gonzalez, you've got Bowe. Those are your main guys. You start counting the plays of who you're going to get the ball to. That's the problem.

"I always try to tell the players that if you're a productive guy, we'll get you the ball. If you're not a productive guy, we'll give it to somebody else.

Edwards also said he's not worried that Johnson's on-field tantrums will be an extensive problem. Defensive back Benny Sapp also erupted during Sunday's game and drew a 15-yard penalty.

"Yesterday was one of those games where we played against a team that is a little bit chippy and then we got involved in it," Edwards said. "Our emotions were going and (Johnson) wasn't the only guy involved in it. I'm going to address the whole team about our fouls. It's all of a sudden becoming a big deal for us to get penalties. I've never been penalized like this."

omac
10-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Can Priest consistently take hard hits with his prior injury? Goodell should evaluate him with medical experts and decide whether to ban him from playing or not.

KCL
10-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Priest played in 2006?:confused:

Broncos Mtnman
10-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Priest played in 2006?:confused:

They said practice, not played since 10/06.

KCL
10-16-2007, 05:54 AM
They said practice, not played since 10/06.

unless I am reading it wrong...look at that first sentece...should be
10/05...

thanks for the read tho as this will be interesting to see

what,if anything pans out.

kcvet
10-16-2007, 09:34 AM
they also traded RB Michael Bennett to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. id prefer to keep him and dump Holmes.
link (link)

KCL
10-16-2007, 10:32 AM
they also traded RB Michael Bennett to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. id prefer to keep him and dump Holmes.
link (link)

What a move...:rolleyes: When Bennett was able to get thru the hole
he is quick.I am not sure what to think of this Holmes deal.

Escobar
10-16-2007, 10:35 AM
I would like to see him get a couple more td's before his career is over.

KCL
10-16-2007, 10:39 AM

I would love to see Holmes get up to speed and make a comeback.
Of course he would just be a backup now.

LJ needs to learn how to block.

kcvet
10-16-2007, 10:57 AM
we need an O line. not another RB to get knocked flat on his A** !!!!!

kcvet
10-16-2007, 10:59 AM
What a move...:rolleyes: When Bennett was able to get thru the hole
he is quick.I am not sure what to think of this Holmes deal.

another CP secret????? they are also working out a WR from the bears. no doubt EK is gonna be out awhile.

kcvet
10-16-2007, 10:59 AM

his career is over

KCL
10-16-2007, 11:05 AM
another CP secret????? they are also working out a WR from the bears. no doubt EK is gonna be out awhile.

thanks for the update vet and yea we need a new O line.

kcvet
10-16-2007, 11:07 AM
thanks for the update vet and yea we need a new O line.

they are working out WR Clinton Solomon from the bears.

kcvet
10-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Holmes may get the call sunday. jez. im speechless. putting him on the field now is beyond dumb.

The Chiefs traded backup running back Michael Bennett to Tampa Bay for draft picks on Tuesday, creating a spot behind starter Larry Johnson and adding to speculation they might activate Holmes in time for Sunday's game against the Raiders.

story (story)

KCL
10-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Holmes may get the call sunday. jez. im speechless. putting him on the field now is beyond dumb.

story (story)

wow...that fast huh? I read yesterday where he may start with practice
today or tomorrow and then Herm said he would make a decision after
that.

broncos9697
10-17-2007, 03:47 PM
wow...that fast huh? I read yesterday where he may start with practice
today or tomorrow and then Herm said he would make a decision after
that.

not smart, out of football that long:::::he needs to pratice with the team at least 3 weeks then make a decision if he's ready to go....need some big hits first to see if there's pain or not.........He;s going to be very rusty

kcvet
10-17-2007, 04:55 PM
here's the real problem:

Chiefs president Carl Peterson said he expects Holmes to be activated sooner rather than later.
a boost for ticket sales and attendence.

Medford Bronco
10-17-2007, 05:02 PM
here's the real problem:

why would you need that, Isnt Arrowhead always sold out

The Broncs never win there it to me has some of the best
football fans in the NFL.

I wish Priest well as I like him one million times more than LJ
and when healthy he was better because he was a complete back and not
one dimensional like LJ. Also more classy than LJ with his comments as well.

kcvet
10-17-2007, 05:49 PM

no. its not always sold out. and after going 0-2 attendence really dropped. we were worried about no TV coverage. CP's job is to sell tickets and keep attendence up. winning games is up to the coach's and players.
for him its not personal. its just business.

Medford Bronco
10-17-2007, 06:15 PM
no. its not always sold out. and after going 0-2 attendence really dropped. we were worried about no TV coverage. CP's job is to sell tickets and keep attendence up. winning games is up to the coach's and players.
for him its not personal. its just business.

wow that shocks me. I thought they were sold out
forever like Denver is?

I still think Denver will not win there, I just cant imagine
what LJ is gonna due to our defense :ahhhhh:

KCL
10-17-2007, 06:18 PM
here's the real problem:

vet...I would imagine that tix sales are at a all time high even
before this.

AH is always packed!

KCL
10-17-2007, 06:19 PM

I posted my reply to this before I read your post.I wish him all the best as
well as he is very humble and classy than LJ has ever shown.

kcvet
10-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Former Pro Bowler Holmes takes another step in comeback

Edwards on Holmes Vid

story (story)