PDA

View Full Version : 3 under the radar types that Denver should draft

BroncoBowlby 88
02-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Lavonte David OLB Neb - Biggest knock on this kid is his size, he's 6''0 225lbs. But if Doom taught us anything its that size doesn't matter. He's a great tackler, squares his shoulders, wraps up, and runs through the tackle. He is good in coverage, and has above average speed. He's a leader and a good character type. I know we are sound at OLB, but DJ is getting older and David would provide depth, and could be a great 3 down backer when his time comes

Terrance Ganaway RB Baylor - He's a good guy first of all, he's fought through adversity (his mother passing away), he's been on mission trips to Kenya, and is a regular on the Deans list. He is a big back coming in at 5''11 241lbs and is a bruiser. He has the ability to run away from pursuit at the NFL level, has deceptive game speed. He will run a defense down, not shifty in space but illusive enough to make the first man miss. Needs to work on his pass catching. A Mike Tolbert type player.

Brandon Mosley OT Auburn - Dumber than a box of rocks, but plays the game with a chip on his shoulder. Average size of an OT, 6''5 300lbs, but has a big wing span and is tough to get around. He is more of a developmental player, has all of the physical tools but just needs some time to develop. Good against the run, will put some defenders on their backs. Doesn't want to bend his knees in pass protection, and needs to work on his hand placement to become a better pass blocker. Would provide adiquate depth to the position, and if his skill level increased enough, it would be nice to move Franklin into the Guard position and have Mosley at Tackle, it would be a mean set up.

All of these players will be available on day 2 of the draft, and most likely day 3. Guys that could possibly make an immediate impact on the team, and we wouldn't be wasting high draft picks on them. Just a thought though.

VonSackemMiller
02-16-2012, 12:28 PM
A tackle? I doubt it, franklin is gonna be a stud. Dominated the edge. Ill take ganaway in round 6 though. Aslong as we come away with wilson,miller or jamed in round 2

SOCALORADO.
02-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Lavonte David OLB Neb - Biggest knock on this kid is his size, he's 6''0 225lbs. But if Doom taught us anything its that size doesn't matter. He's a great tackler, squares his shoulders, wraps up, and runs through the tackle. He is good in coverage, and has above average speed. He's a leader and a good character type. I know we are sound at OLB, but DJ is getting older and David would provide depth, and could be a great 3 down backer when his time comes

Terrance Ganaway RB Baylor - He's a good guy first of all, he's fought through adversity (his mother passing away), he's been on mission trips to Kenya, and is a regular on the Deans list. He is a big back coming in at 5''11 241lbs and is a bruiser. He has the ability to run away from pursuit at the NFL level, has deceptive game speed. He will run a defense down, not shifty in space but illusive enough to make the first man miss. Needs to work on his pass catching. A Mike Tolbert type player.

Brandon Mosley OT Auburn - Dumber than a box of rocks, but plays the game with a chip on his shoulder. Average size of an OT, 6''5 300lbs, but has a big wing span and is tough to get around. He is more of a developmental player, has all of the physical tools but just needs some time to develop. Good against the run, will put some defenders on their backs. Doesn't want to bend his knees in pass protection, and needs to work on his hand placement to become a better pass blocker. Would provide adiquate depth to the position, and if his skill level increased enough, it would be nice to move Franklin into the Guard position and have Mosley at Tackle, it would be a mean set up.

All of these players will be available on day 2 of the draft, and most likely day 3. Guys that could possibly make an immediate impact on the team, and we wouldn't be wasting high draft picks on them. Just a thought though.

Great post! All 3 are worthy players.
I've had Lavonte on my sleeper list for a while now.

TheReverend
02-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Literally JUST made a similar thread in the draft forum about "scout round" players:

Jack Crawford, PSU, DE. Versatile player with some significant speed for the position. Had a solid but far from spectacular season, but dealt with a nagging injury though most of the year on top of the obvious PSU turmoil. I see him in the Jason Hunter mold... nothing great but could be a valuable rotational asset.

Justin Bethel, Presbetyrian (yes srs lol), CB. Mediocre size and mediocre speed, but plays much faster and seems to have some crazy instincts and oddly explosion athleticism. Will be interested to keep an eye on his road to try sneaking into the later rounds.

TJ Graham, NC State, WR. Guy's an absolute burner and former track standout that's still developing as a football player (transition from primarily returner to WR). Could end up being an invaluable gadget player for this unique Tebow led offense.

Kevious Watkins, SC, OG. He's a 340 lb behemoth of a guard. I think that says enough.

PAINTERDAVE
02-16-2012, 01:14 PM
The Broncos need to trade down a few times and increase the number of picks..

picking so late in the first round...
it not like we are gonna get blue chip players anyway.

We need MORE tickets in this lottery...
since our picks will be mostly educated guesses.

It wont surprise me to see efx TRADE OUT OF THE FIRST ROUND.

TheReverend
02-16-2012, 01:20 PM
The Broncos need to trade down a few times and increase the number of picks..

picking so late in the first round...
it not like we are gonna get blue chip players anyway.

We need MORE tickets in this lottery...
since our picks will be mostly educated guesses.

It wont surprise me to see efx TRADE OUT OF THE FIRST ROUND.

Agree. If they get a deal like 2005 with Washington to move into the 2nd and pick up a 2013 first, I think they take it without blinking.

In one fell swoop we maintain the same amount of picks for this year while having "contingency ammo" to move for a Barkley in case Tebow falls off.

OMorange&blue
02-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Agree. If they get a deal like 2005 with Washington to move into the 2nd and pick up a 2013 first, I think they take it without blinking.

In one fell swoop we maintain the same amount of picks for this year while having "contingency ammo" to move for a Barkley in case Tebow falls off.

Love this plan.

TheReverend
02-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Love this plan.

Same.

Outside of Still miraculously falling to our selection, there's no one I'm in love with.

Meanwhile, there will still be some solid CBs we can inject into our roster in the 2nd along with adding depth and talent to the OL.

At that point, we'll be nearing the "tipping point" with a moderately competitive roster (assuming Elway meant that they planned on spending in this coming FA in his most recent quote).

With a "fuller" roster, we'll have a better shot at evaluating Tebow's progress.

-If he succeeds, we all win, and we can use 2 first round picks in pushing this team over the top in 2013.

-If he fails, we have a better roster to surround a young QB like Barley in 2013.

Either option make my penis twitch

SOCALORADO.
02-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Same.

Outside of Still miraculously falling to our selection, there's no one I'm in love with.

Meanwhile, there will still be some solid CBs we can inject into our roster in the 2nd along with adding depth and talent to the OL.

At that point, we'll be nearing the "tipping point" with a moderately competitive roster (assuming Elway meant that they planned on spending in this coming FA in his most recent quote).

With a "fuller" roster, we'll have a better shot at evaluating Tebow's progress.

-If he succeeds, we all win, and we can use 2 first round picks in pushing this team over the top in 2013.

-If he fails, we have a better roster to surround a young QB like Barley in 2013.

Either option make my penis twitch

This is why i am open to either of the plans recently posted.
Either, trade down and aquire a bunch of picks with a plan for a QB next year just in case, or go after a Ray Rice or another superstar that will be tendered with a 1st. I like either plan.

PAINTERDAVE
02-16-2012, 02:41 PM
And not just the 1st round....

They need to wheel and deal and get MORE talent in camp...
if we are gonna build a team..
we need to draft a lot of guys.

TD was a 6th rounder.. the list goes on...

we NEED more picks on that 2nd day.

SOCALORADO.
02-16-2012, 02:45 PM

Yeah. I would love to see an extra 2nd round pick. Get some mean, nasty linemen. Depth at DT/O line is ridiculous in this draft.

Ziggy
02-16-2012, 04:21 PM
David's not really a sleeper, but he's a superb player. He should go in the second round. He may be the best cover LB in the draft, and what he lacks in size he makes up for in toughness. He was a senior and a team captain with no character issues. He's exactly what EFX looks for in thier draft picks and fits the John Fox mold of linebackers. He'll probably run a 4.4 at the combine. Great find. He's on my list of Broncos draft prospects in the 1st and 2nd round in the draft forum.

TheReverend
02-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Ziggy is continually impressive when I read his posts.

BroncoBowlby 88
02-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Im not sure how I feel about trading down to awful much. If they don't think they can find a day one starter at the 25th pick then I'm fine with trolling for talent with extra picks. I just think we can get a great player in the 1st round, but if they can keep drafting like they did last year I'm fine with trading down. I just really love david, would love to see him as a bronco!

Lancane
02-16-2012, 08:41 PM
I've been thinking about the possibility to trade down, and depending on where Tannehill is come the 25th overall pick, Philadelphia could be a trading partner for Denver since they have two second round picks and two fourth round picks.

They really have no value for trading down in most rounds unless out of the first because they do have late picks in most rounds of the draft.

HammeredOut
02-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Brock Osweiler in the 2nd or 3rd round if he is available. 6'8 QB, former basketball player... AZ state.

Traveler
02-16-2012, 09:34 PM
I've been thinking about the possibility to trade down, and depending on where Tannehill is come the 25th overall pick, Philadelphia could be a trading partner for Denver since they have two second round picks and two fourth round picks.

They really have no value for trading down in most rounds unless out of the first because they do have late picks in most rounds of the draft.

Personally, trading down only makes sense if the players grade out the same between our selection to the mid second round. Why pay 1st round money if you don't have to?

Having said that, the way things look at present, we should be able to get a difference maker with our selection at #25.

TheReverend
02-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Personally, trading down only makes sense if the players grade out the same between our selection to the mid second round. Why pay 1st round money if you don't have to?

Having said that, the way things look at present, we should be able to get a difference maker with our selection at #25.

They definitely won't grade out the same... but if they grade favorably in relationship and the trade value is there, then it certainly does make sense.

Lancane
02-16-2012, 10:38 PM

I'm not sure that I'd call anyone around the 25th pick an impact player, indeed the chances are good of finding someone who'll contribute to the team in some form and make a difference long-term, but we'll also be looking at those that have a chance to slide into the second round at that spot, unless it's a top fifteen or twenty pick who somehow falls down the boards due to specific reasons. Not saying we shouldn't draft there, but if Denver feels the value in the second is just as good as the late first prospects, then I could see them doing just that.

We know the Xanders is one for trading down, and he does have the most experience of the three in the Draft Room, so it is a possibility...that's all I'm saying Trav.

TXBRONC
02-16-2012, 11:03 PM

Denver didn't have a lot picks the year they pick Davis. IIRC they had none in the first three or four rounds.

TheReverend
02-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Denver didn't have a lot picks the year they pick Davis. IIRC they had none in the first three or four rounds.

First three.

FWIW, here's an excellent database worth bookmarking:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=1400&type=team

Can sort draft history by team, position, etc

vandammage13
02-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Here's a couple of sleepers I think can help us that we can get in the later rounds:

Sean Spence, LB, Miami
This guy has great speed and instincts and is a hard hitter. The only knock on him is that he is slightly undersized, but I think that his speed will allow him to contribute in coverage on passing plays. This guy always seemed to be around the ball. The Hurricanes have been down in recent years, but this guy is good enough to have started in their heyday, IMO.

Chris Rainey, WR/RB, Florida
Rainey has world-class track speed and is very ellusive with a knack for breaking tackles and making people miss. Think Percy Harvin-lite. He filled Harvin's role for Tebow's old team and did pretty well on a team that was depleted of talent after the NFL raided their underclassmen following their championship runs. He's very versatile as a WR/RB combo and could immediately step in as our full time return man. Had one run-in with the law after an incident with his ex-girlfriend, but didn't really show a pattern of bad judgement over the 4 years he was there...Worth taking the pick because when this guy hits the open field, their aren't many who are gonna catch him.

Alameda Ta-Amu, DT, Washington
Let's face it, as improved as our D was this year, they still need lots of help. This guy is a 6-3, 340lb monster that might slip to the third round. The knock on him is that he doesn't have much playmaking ability to get to the QB, but with his size and strength I think he would consistently command 2 blockers that could free up our LB's. This guy will be a steal...He's a beast.

TheReverend
02-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Here's a couple of sleepers I think can help us that we can get in the later rounds:

Sean Spence, LB, Miami
This guy has great speed and instincts and is a hard hitter. The only knock on him is that he is slightly undersized, but I think that his speed will allow him to contribute in coverage on passing plays. This guy always seemed to be around the ball. The Hurricanes have been down in recent years, but this guy is good enough to have started in their heyday, IMO.

Chris Rainey, WR/RB, Florida
Rainey has world-class track speed and is very ellusive with a knack for breaking tackles and making people miss. Think Percy Harvin-lite. He filled Harvin's role for Tebow's old team and did pretty well on a team that was depleted of talent after the NFL raided their underclassmen following their championship runs. He's very versatile as a WR/RB combo and could immediately step in as our full time return man. Had one run-in with the law after an incident with his ex-girlfriend, but didn't really show a pattern of bad judgement over the 4 years he was there...Worth taking the pick because when this guy hits the open field, their aren't many who are gonna catch him.

Alameda Ta-Amu, DT, Washington
Let's face it, as improved as our D was this year, they still need lots of help. This guy is a 6-3, 340lb monster that might slip to the third round. The knock on him is that he doesn't have much playmaking ability to get to the QB, but with his size and strength I think he would consistently command 2 blockers that could free up our LB's. This guy will be a steal...He's a beast.

Good post. I don't think Rainey is all that under the radar. He should be a 3rd round lock and is getting more and more attention for his speed since Demps decided not to declare for the draft and to train for the olympics instead ("priorities"... :( )

Still I think your point on him is solid. Another guy in that same mold that should go roughly at the same point in the draft is Joe Adams from Arkansas. Absolute burner that could be a big asset returning kicks, stretching the field, reverses, lined up in the backfield on third downs, etc.

Also, Casey Hayward, CB from Vandy hasn't gotten any love in this thread yet, so I'll throw his name out there. Solid depth player that could impact ST immediately and probably win a 4th DB spot that has some decent skills worth trying to develop.

Superchop 7
02-17-2012, 04:02 PM
First off.....two UDFA's of mine became Broncos.

Both did well......Mr Brandon Browner? I could not be prouder. (Pro Bowl 2012)

Deep in this draft does not have me excited.....I will only go as far as Marvin Mcnutt......probably a 3rd or 4th round pick.....well......in 3 years......tell me how he is doing.