PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Sign Hill

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Jason Hill the WR from Jax

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/02/15/broncos-sign-former-jacksonville-wr-jason-hill/12179/

Respectable move. Decent player with talent who could excel at the slot position.

Had some ego issues (dude called out Revis before they played the Jets... then didnt even play) but probably got that checked at the door after sitting in FA for so long with no interested suitors.

Dzone
02-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Cool. Nice to see some action in Broncoland during this down time of the year

turftoad
02-15-2012, 10:26 PM
He'll be gone before the reg season. Guy has never done anything. Not sold on him. Good camp signing though.

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 10:27 PM
He'll be gone before the reg season. Guy has never done anything. Not sold on him. Good camp signing though.

...he's been a starter in the NFL

turftoad
02-15-2012, 10:33 PM
...he's been a starter in the NFL

Yep he was, but never did anything. Hell, the Jags let him go and they don't have anybody. I think that was part of Gabberts bad year also.

nevcraw
02-15-2012, 10:35 PM
there goes keeping Prater.

Lancane
02-15-2012, 10:36 PM

Actually he's been a rather solid fourth wide and improved when he was moved into the slot and is an upgrade over Willis in both aspects. And in all honesty he's probably the receiver that will end up taking Royal's spot on the roster, he had better overall numbers this past season averaging 14.7 yards per catch, the longest a 74 yard pass, and had two more touchdowns and over two-hundred more yards receiving then Royal.

Not a bad pickup if I do say so myself, and it proves what I said the other day...that we'll be looking at known veterans from particular divisions and teams due to ties with the staff.

But don't get me wrong, I don't think he's been added as a number one or two, and depending on where the team is on that focus, we'll probably see another receiver or two added.

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Yep he was, but never did anything. Hell, the Jags let him go and they don't have anybody. I think that was part of Gabberts bad year also.

And JDR/FO turmoil and the related attitude issues

Clearly not a world beater, but he's a talented kid that could really excel as our #3.

rcsodak
02-15-2012, 10:45 PM
CJDavis? SUPERBOWL!

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

turftoad
02-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Actually he's been a rather solid fourth wide and improved when he was moved into the slot and is an upgrade over Willis in both aspects. And in all honesty he's probably the receiver that will end up taking Royal's spot on the roster, he had better overall numbers this past season averaging 14.7 yards per catch, the longest a 74 yard pass, and had two more touchdowns and over two-hundred more yards receiving then Royal.

Not a bad pickup if I do say so myself, and it proves what I said the other day...that we'll be looking at known veterans from particular divisions and teams due to ties with the staff.

But don't get me wrong, I don't think he's been added as a number one or two, and depending on where the team is on that focus, we'll probably see another receiver or two added.

Lan, you really can't compare his production to Royals. I mean, how many times did we throw the ball? Seriously.
I've been watching him since before he was drafted. Good in college but disappointed in the pros. High hopes and not much else. I agree he'd be better than Willis though.

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 10:46 PM
CJDavis? SUPERBOWL!

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

To be fair, this one should see the field without necessitating a catastrophic succession of IOL injuries.

Lancane
02-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Lan, you really can't compare his production to Royals. I mean, how many times did we throw the ball? Seriously.
I've been watching him since before he was drafted. Good in college but disappointed in the pros. High hopes and not much else. I agree he'd be better than Willis though.

Hill had 25 receptions, Royal 19, and as such can be compared Turf - maybe not career wise but at least for the season, he was statistically a better overall receiver. And as such he's been signed more then likely to take Royal's spot on the roster and is an upgrade over Willis whom the front office said could play in Royal's position when they were looking to trade Royal before the deadline.

topscribe
02-15-2012, 11:09 PM

Not sure EFX shares your opinion. I've seen it before: A player can take a
dump in one team and excel after he moves on to another. They must
have seen something in him, or they wouldn't have signed him. Remember
Eddie Mac? He was another receiver who had never really done anything
before coming to Denver. We'll just have to see . . .

-----

turftoad
02-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Meh, Jax waived him mid season last year. He spent 4 yrs in San Fran and never did anything.

All we can do is hope I guess.

Magnificent Seven
02-15-2012, 11:25 PM
They should get Randy Moss. Just for 1 fun season. Therefore, Tebow can have some more weapons.

dogfish
02-16-2012, 12:19 AM
talented player who's never put it all together in the pro's. . . we'll see exactly how much they're counting on him, but certainly there's nothing inherently wrong with bringing in low cost options-- every team does it, and at least hill's still a young guy. . . beats trying to squeeze another year out of TO or somebody like that. . .

frankly, we're going to have to get by with bargain basement options at some spots-- and the WR depth chart on a running team is a great place to cut corners if you have to. . . i'd still like to see us bring in a veteran deep threat like devery henderson. . .

i just hope we don't end up filling our starting defensive tackle spots with guys the caliber of jason hill. . . that scares me exponentially more than anything they could do at the third or fourth receiver spots. . .

Montana Battlin Bear
02-16-2012, 12:56 AM
Jason Hill the WR from Jax

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/02/15/broncos-sign-former-jacksonville-wr-jason-hill/12179/

Respectable move. Decent player with talent who could excel at the slot position.

Had some ego issues (dude called out Revis before they played the Jets... then didnt even play) but probably got that checked at the door after sitting in FA for so long with no interested suitors.

Where you been on the Mane?

TheReverend
02-16-2012, 01:16 AM
Where you been on the Mane?

Gone. Whatchoo need?

Jsteve01
02-16-2012, 01:40 AM
Oh wait rev....did you live in lansdale?

TheReverend
02-16-2012, 01:54 AM
Oh wait rev....did you live in lansdale?

Whooooooaaaaaa

Yes... Lol

D1g1tal j1m
02-16-2012, 02:46 AM
From what I read elsewhere, this guy has had a case of dropping catchable balls. Not exactly what you would want in your slot guy.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-16-2012, 06:00 AM
there goes keeping Prater.

The Broncos will most likely place the Franchise Tag on Prater to keep him from hitting free agency while they negotiate a new deal for him. It's about the cheapest position to tag (other than punter). Paying Prater the average salary of the top 5 paid kickers in the league isn't much and he definitely deserves it.

Of all our potential FAs, I strongly doubt Prater is going anywhere. This may spell an end to Eddie Royal, though.

Canmore
02-16-2012, 06:08 AM
The Broncos will most likely place the Franchise Tag on Prater to keep him from hitting free agency while they negotiate a new deal for him. It's about the cheapest position to tag (other than punter). Paying Prater the average salary of the top 5 paid kickers in the league isn't much and he definitely deserves it.

Of all our potential FAs, I strongly doubt Prater is going anywhere. This may spell an end to Eddie Royal, though.

Think I saw the Franchise Tag was worth about 2.6 million for Prater.

Love Eddie Royal but I wouldn't be surprised if he was gone.

Traveler
02-16-2012, 06:41 AM
Not sure EFX shares your opinion. I've seen it before: A player can take a
dump in one team and excel after he moves on to another. They must
have seen something in him, or they wouldn't have signed him. Remember
Eddie Mac? He was another receiver who had never really done anything
before coming to Denver. We'll just have to see . . .

-----

Someone said that about Brandon lloyd when McDaniels brought him here. Lets hope for the same type of production.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Someone said that about Brandon lloyd when McDaniels brought him here. Lets hope for the same type of production.

The problem with Lloyd was never his ability. It's always been his attitude. He played for 3 different teams before joining the Broncos and never produced much. He came here and had a career season in a pass happy offense.

He became the face of the franchise after that year and was thrust into the media spotlight where, even though he seems very intelligent and well spoken, it seemed that he just couldn't not shoot himself in the foot. The comments about giving the teams that had previously cut him the big "F you" combined with his comments going into this season about the QB situation showed his underlying motivation was still about him and not really about the Broncos winning games. It was also pretty obvious that he didn't like the decision to fire Josh McDaniels, after all, he was the guy who believed in him enough to force feed him the ball during his career year.

Lloyd will most likely reunite with McDaniels in New England and will be very happy going back to a pass happy offense. If the Pats don't re-sign Wes Welker, Lloyd would become a top target of Brady along with the 2 TEs. The thing is, if Welker stays, Lloyd becomes the 3rd or 4th option in that offense. He'll most likely fill the role that Deion Branch does right now which puts him #4 in the current rotation for pass targets. It will be interesting to see if he can coexist in an offense where he isn't the primary target. He hasn't been able to, yet... :whoknows:

Jsteve01
02-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Lol rev I remember you. I was supposed to meet you at Molettieres a couple of times but couldn't make it. No more mane huh?

Mike
02-16-2012, 09:19 AM
From what I read elsewhere, this guy has had a case of dropping catchable balls. Not exactly what you would want in your slot guy.

He will fit right in then.

TheReverend
02-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Lol rev I remember you. I was supposed to meet you at Molettieres a couple of times but couldn't make it. No more mane huh?

Ahaha blast from the past. I think remember some of those PMs from WAY back. Wait wasn't this back in the myspace era and were friends on there or something lol. Long time no talk, man

VonSackemMiller
02-16-2012, 10:59 AM
camp body.

GEM
02-16-2012, 05:05 PM
They should get Randy Moss. Just for 1 fun season. Therefore, Tebow can have some more weapons.

Moss would be a detriment to Tebow. The guy would go ape shit on him and kill any confidence Tebow has.

turftoad
02-16-2012, 07:54 PM

True Trav, true. However, McFired used a pass happy offense, way different than the one we use now.

dogfish
02-16-2012, 08:24 PM
True Trav, true. However, McFired used a pass happy offense, way different than the one we use now.

and even if hill makes the roster, he'd be #3 at best. . .

anybody know if he can block?

either way, at this point i'm FAR more concerned with who we're gonna bring in at RB than WR. . .

Lancane
02-16-2012, 08:37 PM
and even if hill makes the roster, he'd be #3 at best. . .

anybody know if he can block?

either way, at this point i'm FAR more concerned with who we're gonna bring in at RB than WR. . .

I'm not to be honest, I think both are vital to each aspect. Unless you agree that the Read-Option is still the offensive system this team should run? Which would be asinine, at least that is my opinion. And we know that if we do run a pro-style system it's likely to be based off the spread, we'll need more then two or three capable receivers for that to be successful. If we were running a simple West Coast then two quality receivers, a decent slot/backup and with little depth plus capable tight ends are good enough. Elway wants Tebow to be able to win from the pocket, that means he's going to need the targets to do just that - Thomas has shown flashes but is only months removed from a plague of injuries that kept him out for the most part since his rookie year and while Decker is a quality receiver himself, he struggles alone and has been injured now twice in as many years...now we've added an underachiever who has the talent to be a good third, do they really count on those three and the return of Willis? We can draft a tailback or bring in various free agents and plug them in and be productive with the right blocking scheme and ground offensive scheme, but the pass will be just as important this upcoming year for it to succeed.