PDA

View Full Version : Analysis of Cutler-McDaniels Feud

getlynched47
03-16-2009, 11:43 AM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/trade.cutler.denver.2.960109.html

DENVER (CBS4) ―

Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler and Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels botched what should have been a make-up meeting on Saturday morning, and now the situation has spiraled even further out of control.

Cutler has now flown out of Denver; his agent is expected to formally request a trade; Cutler will not attend the start of the team's voluntary off-season workout program Monday, and he says that he will not report to the Broncos facility until the first mandatory mini-camp sometime in late April or early May.

This situation is perilous for both Cutler and McDaniels.

While each man clearly believes that "justice" is on his side of the argument, people are watching this feud and drawing their own conclusions. Obviously public opinion has an impact on ticket sales for the Broncos and endorsement opportunities for Cutler. But this feud also directly affects their ability to play and coach in the NFL.

McDaniels is a young, first-time coach, and while there's no doubt that he has the football expertise to run an offense, there are serious questions about whether he has the managerial skills necessary for the job.

Although the rift with Cutler is the issue that has drawn the most public attention, I've spoken to several Broncos players who believe that McDaniels sabotaged his credibility in the locker room when he cut long-snapper Mike Leach and signed former Patriots long-snapper Lonnie Paxton to a $2 million contract.

Leach has proven to be among the most reliable snappers in the NFL, and replacing him seemed completely unnecessary and out of step with the message that a new coach should be sending to his team.

The players who were drafted or signed by the previous coach want to believe that the new coach will judge them based on their ability to perform on the field. But when McDaniels got rid of Leach it sent a very clear message that no matter how well the veterans performed, the new coach would cut them and pay more money to get players with whom he was more familiar.

Engaging in trade talks for Cutler was another McDaniels mistake. It's true that any player on any team is subject to trade, but this particular trade didn't make any sense. McDaniels wanted to ship Cutler to Tampa Bay in a three-way deal that would have brought then-Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel to Denver.

This is a carbon-copy of the Leach exchange, only worse. At least Leach and Paxton have similar ability. There was no reason to swap them out, but at least it wasn't a downgrade.

In the proposed Cutler-Cassel exchange, McDaniels would have been putting a less talented player under center, and the only rationale is the McDaniels is familiar with Cassel.

Again, the message to the Broncos veterans is clear: Your ability and performance on the field are irrelevant. McDaniels will replace you with someone less talented if he has had a longer relationship with that person.

This feud has the potential to doom McDaniels first stint as a head coach.

This dispute is dangerous for Cutler's career, too. He's supposed to be the leader of this team, and at some point he has to decide whether it's more important to keep fighting this personal crusade or to step up and act like a team leader.

The off-season workout program is an important period of bonding for players. There are a lot of new players on the Broncos roster. Every day that Cutler is not there, he loses another opportunity to earn the respect of his teammates. They will acknowledge him as a leader because he's the quarterback, but acknowledgement and respect are not equivalent terms.

Cutler also risks alienating other teams. For weeks, Cutler's tantrum has been a story in the national media and that could affect his future in the NFL. Everyone knows that Cutler is an extremely talented quarterback, but how many coaches want a signal caller who will frequently and publicly defy them?

Coaches are part of a small and tight fraternity and they empathize with each other. Each of them was a first-time coach at one point in his career, so they understand what McDaniels is going through. None of them will appreciate the fact that Cutler is going so far out of his way to undermine McDaniels' authority.

It's bad enough when a wide receiver, a running back or a defensive player throws tantrums or otherwise creates distractions, but when it's the guy who touches the ball on every offensive play, that's much harder for a team to manage.

Before all of this started, the only teams that wouldn't have wanted Cutler were those that already had a franchise quarterbacks. Every other team would have viewed Cutler as an upgrade. But now, there's probably a much shorter list of teams who are prepared to deal with the tantrums and PR fiascos that Cutler might bring with him.

Plus, this feud is eroding Cutler's trade value. Every team knows that he doesn't want to be in Denver, so the Broncos might not get as much as if Cutler was publicly content. The only thing that can save his value now is if two or three teams start competing for him.

But are there two or three teams out there who a) need Cutler, b) want Cutler despite his tantrums, and c) have something that the Broncos would accept in exchange for Cutler?

and that ESPN article further makes it more evident that McDaniels is not helping this situation out the way he should. Get off of Cutler's back...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3983805

EDIT: I saw this posted in another thread...so credit goes to that person that posted it first :salute:

fcspikeit
03-16-2009, 12:09 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/trade.cutler.denver.2.960109.html

and that ESPN article further makes it more evident that McDaniels is not helping this situation out the way he should. Get off of Cutler's back...

EDIT: I saw this posted in another thread...so credit goes to that person that posted it first :salute:

And to think this all could have been easily avoided.. First by not trying to trade Cutler and second by simply saying, you are our guy, I want you as our starting QB.. After he tried to trade him... Yeah, that was clearly to much to ask McDaniels to do :tsk:

Dr Velcro
03-16-2009, 12:17 PM
I think this is a fair, well-balanced article.

There are no winners in this scenario.

From Cutler's stand point) it's better to take the high road now, do the best he can, show them what he's made of & just play. He'll look the better for it.

Period.

skycoyote
03-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Quote Reggie Rivers: "I've spoken to several Broncos players who believe that McDaniels sabotaged his credibility in the locker room when he cut long-snapper Mike Leach"

I believe that Reggie would know. Looks like Jay isn't the only Bronco that doesn't trust McD.

getlynched47
03-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Quote Reggie Rivers: "I've spoken to several Broncos players who believe that McDaniels sabotaged his credibility in the locker room when he cut long-snapper Mike Leach"

I believe that Reggie would know. Looks like Jay isn't the only Bronco that doesn't trust McD.

I can tell you that Stokley is one of them. He was one of the first to publicly announce his displeasure of the release of Leach.

OB
03-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Heres my analysis - Both of these "rookies" are destroying our team - i am not happy with the way either man (if you can call them that) has handled the situation - McDaniels lied, has cut decent guys (ie leach) - Jay has put himself on a HUGE pedestal thinking he is invincible in Denver and has over reacted in such a huge way - this is all too crazy - for real - it's pitting fan against fan, coach against player, teammate against teammate

No matter who is on our team right now, we will not be a winning team - this is what upsets me the most - sure losing our start QB hurts - but its part of the game - all of this drama should NOT be a part of it

WARHORSE
03-16-2009, 02:01 PM

Thats Cutlers fault.........having you been listening?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

(yes, theres a ton of sarcasm in there......)

WARHORSE
03-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Heres my analysis - Both of these "rookies" are destroying our team - i am not happy with the way either man (if you can call them that) has handled the situation - McDaniels lied, has cut decent guys (ie leach) - Jay has put himself on a HUGE pedestal thinking he is invincible in Denver and has over reacted in such a huge way - this is all too crazy - for real - it's pitting fan against fan, coach against player, teammate against teammate

No matter who is on our team right now, we will not be a winning team - this is what upsets me the most - sure losing our start QB hurts - but its part of the game - all of this drama should NOT be a part of it

Um, from the very first interview with Cutler, he has been trying to move forward as a BRONCO.

Even up to the meeting saturday.

After that meeting, both he and Bus said it was made painfully clear, that Jay is not the QB they want to move forward with.

So Cutler said fine, trade me.

skycoyote
03-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Reggie Rivers quote:
"I've spoken to several Broncos players who believe that McDaniels sabotaged his credibility in the locker room"

Cutler is being a leader on the team. A good leader wouldn't take any shit from a McDummy.

getlynched47
03-16-2009, 02:10 PM
This worried me the most:

The players who were drafted or signed by the previous coach want to believe that the new coach will judge them based on their ability to perform on the field. But when McDaniels got rid of Leach it sent a very clear message that no matter how well the veterans performed, the new coach would cut them and pay more money to get players with whom he was more familiar.

In the proposed Cutler-Cassel exchange, McDaniels would have been putting a less talented player under center, and the only rationale is the McDaniels is familiar with Cassel.

I wonder what kind of "relations" McD-bag and McCassel were involved in up there in New England :rolleyes:

skycoyote
03-16-2009, 02:13 PM
This worried me the most:

I wonder what kind of "relations" McD-bag and McCassel were involved in up there in New England :rolleyes:

Maybe they were McButt buddies.

getlynched47
03-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Maybe they were McButt buddies.

McLovers :eek:

OB
03-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Um, from the very first interview with Cutler, he has been trying to move forward as a BRONCO.

Even up to the meeting saturday.

After that meeting, both he and Bus said it was made painfully clear, that Jay is not the QB they want to move forward with.

So Cutler said fine, trade me.

Dude you are going off of what cutler says he has done - if you believe everything that comes out of his mouth - you are foolin yourself - no one tells the 100% truth

Cutler is handling the situation terribly - regardless - his panties got in a wad cause they "hinted" at him being trade able - EVERY NFL player is trade able

- i cant believe the way fans are taking sides cause NO ONE knows whats really going on so how can you possibly begin to judge anyone in this situation - other than saying they BOTH have screwed the pooch here

getlynched47
03-16-2009, 08:14 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Cutler has proved that he's a franchise QB. McDaniels hasnt proved jack shit as a head coach...