PDA

View Full Version : Elway on Cap

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 05:33 PM
"Cash-wise we'll spend more than cap this year," John Elway, the Broncos' head of football operations, said today. "But that's where it comes down to how everybody accounts and how the numbers get skewed. Whether you're over the cap or under the cap it just comes down to the accounting."

Read more: Elway says Broncos to spend more than NFL salary cap in 2012 - The Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19971672#ixzz1mUbHLyzc
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 05:34 PM
"Whether you're over the cap or under the cap it just comes down to the accounting."

Actually just said this in the other cap thread a few days ago:

That's what I said :) As for the 2013 cap floor: it's still a mirage depending on how creative you want to be with your accounting.

chazoe60
02-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Moving around within the NFL salary cap is a lot like laundering money, me thinks.

SOCALORADO.
02-15-2012, 05:55 PM
SPEND! JOHN! SPEND!!!
http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_experts__19/ept_sports_nfl_experts-320375840-1262137009.jpg?ymxKEcCDqxVKNkfR

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 05:58 PM
^ substitute pic of super mario and carl nicks

MOtorboat
02-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Lol, I love it when people get all wet over free agents that aren't going to sign here...

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Lol, I love it when people get all wet over free agents that aren't going to sign here...

They're going to go where the money is. It's certainly not outside the realm of reason and hope that we'll land one premier player.

Jsteve01
02-15-2012, 06:33 PM

Mo you've become really pessimistic lately. Do you need a good thigh rub?

MOtorboat
02-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Mo you've become really pessimistic lately. Do you need a good thigh rub?

A.) We don't need to spend more money on pass rushers.

B.) Top flight wide receivers are NOT signing with Denver this year. That's reality.

C.) Name the last big offensive line free agent this team signed.

Those are the three names mentioned. I'd almost guarantee not a single one signs.

Reality.

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 06:39 PM
A.) We don't need to spend more money on pass rushers.

B.) Top flight wide receivers are NOT signing with Denver this year. That's reality.

C.) Name the last big offensive line free agent this team signed.

Those are the three names mentioned. I'd almost guarantee not a single one signs.

Reality.

A.) Mario's a lot more than just a pass rusher

B.) Vincent Jackson is going to be after his big money contract because odds are by the time it expires he'll be 34+ and past big $ WR age. He's already shown that he prioritizes $ over playing with his 10 game holdout a couple years ago, so paying him absolutely would land him over any potential valuation over #s.

C.) Our coaching staff and current FO weren't even here a few years ago so the history of this applies how?

^ Actual reality

MOtorboat
02-15-2012, 06:45 PM
A.) Mario's a lot more than just a pass rusher

B.) Vincent Jackson is going to be after his big money contract because odds are by the time it expires he'll be 34+ and past big $ WR age. He's already shown that he prioritizes $ over playing with his 10 game holdout a couple years ago, so paying him absolutely would land him over any potential valuation over #s.

C.) Our coaching staff and current FO weren't even here a few years ago so the history of this applies how?

^ Actual reality

Denver isn't going after high profile free agents. Its also not an overly attractive team to sign with. And Vincent Jackson cares about numbers, too. He's not getting those in Denver.

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Denver isn't going after high profile free agents. Its also not an overly attractive team to sign with. And Vincent Jackson cares about numbers, too. He's not getting those in Denver.

If he cared about #s even remotely as much as he did the ones in his paycheck, he wouldnt have sat for 10 games.

MOtorboat
02-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Good luck with the pipe dream.

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Good luck with the pipe dream.

I'll take optimism over pessimism re: the Broncos any and every time.

Slick
02-15-2012, 07:16 PM
I think the Saints will let one or two of their WR's go in free agency and figure out a way to keep Nicks.

As far as Denver is concerned I think we're a little more attractive to potential free agents than we were last year.

Mo is probably right about WR's not wanting coming here.

We'll see.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 07:20 PM
I think the Saints will let one or two of their WR's go in free agency and figure out a way to keep Nicks.

As far as Denver is concerned I think we're a little more attractive to potential free agents than we were last year.

Mo is probably right about WR's not wanting coming here.

We'll see.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Possible, but I still don't see it.

With the money they already have tied up at the G position in Jahri and just the sheer pool of big name talent they have scheduled to hit FA, I think Nicks is one of the first to leave.

Superchop 7
02-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Well the beauty of this is we have been middle of the road in actual spending for a decade.......this is good news......the bean counters were a huge problem. That being said....I hope they are methodical.....we are still developing a QB..... even if you put Tebow on the Giants....not gonna win the Superbowl just yet. We want depth for now....good solid depth. (and that philosophy tends to find some gems)

VonSackemMiller
02-15-2012, 08:01 PM

yeah like you have the inside scoop of all players in the league.

OrangeHoof
02-15-2012, 08:08 PM
According to a report in the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, the projected cap should be somewhere between $121-125 million. Two teams are in serious cap trouble with 2011 numbers over $140 million - the Raiders and the Steelers. That explains why Routt was cut and why the Steelers are telling Hines Ward there's no room at the inn. It means anyone willing to bid a draft pick on Mike Wallace can probably get him.

I think the Texans will find a way to keep Mario. They like Barwin and Reed but neither has a long enough track record to justify letting Mario leave if they can keep him and Arian Foster and stay under.

One more interesting tidbit in the cap is that there is a $2 million wiggle room that cannot be applied every year but can be claimed at least one year which means that if the Broncos (or anyone else) can just get close enough to the cap, they can claim that rule and not lose any players.

MOtorboat
02-15-2012, 08:18 PM
yeah like you have the inside scoop of all players in the league.

So, tell me what's going to happen, then...

VonSackemMiller
02-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Elway said were going to be big spenders so we will be able to sign anybody. So thats what will happen

nevcraw
02-15-2012, 09:58 PM
So, tell me what's going to happen, then...

wait -- isn't telling everybody what's going to happen your thing?

MOtorboat
02-15-2012, 10:02 PM
wait -- isn't telling everybody what's going to happen your thing?

Oh, look, nevcraw is here with his insightful posts.

Let me know when any of the free agents mentioned in this thread are signed by the Broncos.

nevcraw
02-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Oh, look, nevcraw is here with his insightful posts.

Let me know when any of the free agents mentioned in this thread are signed by the Broncos.

actually no names were mentioned before you shat in the pool.. If you call your constant "smartest guy in the room" schtick with not so much as a whiff of actual useful knowledge as in insightful than I would rather not be "insightful".

MOtorboat
02-15-2012, 10:14 PM
actually no names were mentioned before you shat in the pool.. If you call your constant "smartest guy in the room" schtick with not so much as a whiff of actual useful knowledge as in insightful than I would rather not be "insightful".

You should start at the beginning of the thread, read it and then get back to me on this.

Because, you know...you're wrong.

DenBronx
02-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Big spenders???

Yeah right. I'll believe it when I see it.

nevcraw
02-15-2012, 10:31 PM
You should start at the beginning of the thread, read it and then get back to me on this.

Because, you know...you're wrong.

well looks like I am on the names mentioned. apologies.. but as you know mo -- the rest of my post is right as rain..

MOtorboat
02-15-2012, 10:36 PM
well looks like I am on the names mentioned. apologies.. but as you know mo -- the rest of my post is right as rain..

Like I said, let me know when Denver signs any of the three free agents mentioned.

Then you'll be right.

Until then, try to come up with something insightful. Hell, post something that isn't attacking me...

DenBronx
02-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Like I said, let me know when Denver signs any of the three free agents mentioned.

Then you'll be right.

Until then, try to come up with something insightful. Hell, post something that isn't attacking me...

Dude, do you need a hug or something?

MOtorboat
02-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Dude, do you need a hug or something?

Sure. I'm all about the love.

But, let me know when the Broncos sign one of the three marquee free agents mentioned in this thread.

People really hate it when others bring up reality, don't they....

nevcraw
02-15-2012, 11:08 PM

Then you'll be right.

looks like you still don't get it.. later..

MOtorboat
02-15-2012, 11:11 PM
looks like you still don't get it.. later..

What is it that I'm not getting?

That it's not likely that the big name free agents everyone is getting all horny about aren't going to sign with the Broncos?

What am I not getting? Please, enlighten me. I haven't seen many posts at all from you that haven't been directly attacking me in the last three months. So, anything would be appreciated.

Joel
02-16-2012, 12:07 AM
According to a report in the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, the projected cap should be somewhere between $121-125 million. Two teams are in serious cap trouble with 2011 numbers over $140 million - the Raiders and the Steelers. That explains why Routt was cut and why the Steelers are telling Hines Ward there's no room at the inn. It means anyone willing to bid a draft pick on Mike Wallace can probably get him.

I think the Texans will find a way to keep Mario. They like Barwin and Reed but neither has a long enough track record to justify letting Mario leave if they can keep him and Arian Foster and stay under.

One more interesting tidbit in the cap is that there is a $2 million wiggle room that cannot be applied every year but can be claimed at least one year which means that if the Broncos (or anyone else) can just get close enough to the cap, they can claim that rule and not lose any players.
Keep in mind that not all of the Texans dramatic defensive improvement was Wade; some of it was going out and getting multiple quality DBs in free agency LAST year. It paid off, but wasn't free, and Chris Myers is probably a higher priority for Kubes than Williams is (rightly, IMHO.) Dreesen and Daniels are also apparently nearing the end of their contracts. You have to ask yourself how much the Texans D suffered from Williams' absence, and the answer seems to be "not much." I'm not sure what we would DO with the guy, but wouldn't be surprised to see the Texans let him go if he insists on gobs of money.

It's encouraging to hear Elway talking about shelling out some cash, because we can't fill all our deep wide holes with the draft alone, and if cheap scrubs would do the job those holes wouldn't exist. I just wish he'd choose his words more carefully; given his central role in cap violations a decade ago, coming right out and SAYING we'll be over the cap next year is just asking for trouble, even though he is just referencing legal wiggle room.

The Glue Factory
02-16-2012, 01:29 PM
I just wish he'd choose his words more carefully; given his central role in cap violations a decade ago, coming right out and SAYING we'll be over the cap next year is just asking for trouble, even though he is just referencing legal wiggle room.

Correction: He didn't say we would be over the cap. Just that we would be spending more money than the cap. Spending and cap space are not synonymous.

Given that he was a player accepting the terms of renegotiated contracts does not make one Mr. Elway guilty of the cap violations of over a decade ago.

SOCALORADO.
02-16-2012, 03:47 PM
http://rumorsandrants.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Vincent-Jackson.jpg

TheReverend
02-16-2012, 04:02 PM
What is it that I'm not getting?

...How much time do you have?

Rick
02-16-2012, 04:26 PM
I can't see any top tier wr coming here until Tebow proves he can throw and we start doing it.

I could see a good RB though and would not rule out Mario.

We need more pass rush, outside of Doom and Miller we got virtually no consistent rush anywhere else.

Doom, Mario, Miller on the field at the same time would be a hell of a rush. Rotate Ayers in and keep Doom/Mario fresh.

Wishful thinking...but I can still wish it.

wayninja
02-16-2012, 06:39 PM
If we don't use all the money, I vote for jewel encrusted helmets.

TheReverend
02-16-2012, 06:41 PM
If we don't use all the money, I vote for jewel encrusted helmets.

lol

At the very least, ruby visors like cyclops from x-men

wayninja
02-16-2012, 06:42 PM

You can't know that it's reality unless you open the box and see if V Jack has been killed from the poison of the randomly decaying isotope trigger or not. Either way, win-win.

wayninja
02-16-2012, 06:43 PM
lol

At the very least, ruby visors like cyclops from x-men

As long as it's not on Tebow's helmet. I need to be able to see tears if applicable.

Timmy!
02-16-2012, 11:35 PM
You can't know that it's reality unless you open the box and see if V Jack has been killed from the poison of the randomly decaying isotope trigger or not. Either way, win-win.

Leave Schrodinger's cat out of this.

Lancane
02-17-2012, 02:12 AM
I don't know who's right and who's wrong, but on Mo's behalf...we have been a thrift-store chain for awhile now and are not use to seeing 'sexy' additions to the roster via free agency or via trade. The last great addition to the roster not drafted came by way of trade in Champ Bailey. Even through the 80's and 90's we saw few great additions that were drafted elsewhere.

On Nev's behalf though, Elway has touted that they're going to spend money, and atop that we're like 4th or 5th in Cap Space, I believe NFLN said we have like 58 million and only three or four teams have more. We could quite literally sign an impact player or two, that's not to mention that the Broncos have already stated that a player or two was looking at restructured contracts. Either way though, the team better get use to the idea of spending 99% of the cap, starting next season there is no other choice...unless they want to be penalized.

Even I am a little skeptical that we'll do the same old song and dance, but then I always have a small hope that with Elway in charge that Bowlen will allow the checkbook out of his clawed fingertips.

Chef Zambini
02-17-2012, 01:22 PM
I came here to buy a HAT that says ELWAY on the CAP.

Chef Zambini
02-17-2012, 01:24 PM
I don't know who's right and who's wrong, but on Mo's behalf...

we have been a thrift-store chain for awhile now

and are not use to seeing 'sexy' additions to the roster via free agency or via
trade. The last great addition to the roster not drafted came by way of trade in Champ Bailey. Even through the 80's and 90's we saw few great additions that were drafted elsewhere.

On Nev's behalf though, Elway has touted that they're going to spend money, and atop that we're like 4th or 5th in Cap Space, I believe NFLN said we have like 58 million and only three or four teams have more. We could quite literally sign an impact player or two, that's not to mention that the Broncos have already stated that a player or two was looking at restructured contracts. Either way though, the team better get use to the idea of spending 99% of the cap, starting next season there is no other choice...unless they want to be penalized.

Even I am a little skeptical that we'll do the same old song and dance, but then I always have a small hope that with Elway in charge that Bowlen will allow the checkbook out of his clawed fingertips.

we have been a thrift-store chain for awhile now
amen brother, amen