PDA

View Full Version : Source: Cook wants new contract for Cutler

Italianmobstr7
03-16-2009, 10:58 AM
I think most could have guessed this. Cook is a douchebag.

SOURCE: COOK WANTS NEW CONTRACT FOR CUTLER
Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2009, 11:34 a.m.
With none of the top quarterbacks in the draft pool picking him to be their agent, Bus Cook had to find a way to get his name into the NFL conversation in the weeks leading up to the 2009 version of the rookie selection process.

What better way to do it than to demonstrate his power and influence to the quarterback class of 2010 by forcing a trade of Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler?

Dan Patrick said on the Monday edition of his show that Cook recently responded to a report from Peter King that Cutler had asked for a trade before the possibility of trading Cutler ever arose with the time-honored non-denial denial: “Not that I know of.”

We’re now convinced that Cook is the primary instigator of Cutler’s discontent — and also the primary impediment to a meaningful coach-player meeting that could resolve the situation and keep Cutler around.

King told Patrick on Monday that coach Josh McDaniels still wants to have a one-on-one meeting with Cutler.

In other words, McDaniels wants to be able to talk to Cutler without Cook sticking his nose into the discussion, saying and doing things that will prevent Cutler’s currently stubborn resolve from weakening.

Indeed, a league source tells us that Cook’s idea for solving the current impasse was — what else? — a fat new contract for Cutler. If the Broncos aren’t willing to give Cutler a new deal, then Cook and Cutler want to be traded.

Cook is a West Virginia native, so we’d ordinarily be inclined to give him the Pat White treatment. In this case, we can’t. Cook has been at the center of too many unnecessary controversies, and he has failed to use his tremendous influence over his clients to persuade them to find a way to make things work. Instead, Cook has thrived of late on destroying existing relationships, for no apparent strategic reason other than to get his name in the paper.

That said, it’s not too late for the Broncos to take control of the situation. As pointed out in our latest SportingNews.com item, the Bengals did it last year with Chad Johnson, and the Cardinals did it last year (and might do it again this year) with Anquan Boldin. When a player is under contract for three more seasons, the team (not the player) has the power to determine whether the player will be traded or released before those three years expire.

turftoad
03-16-2009, 11:04 AM
This is speculation from Peter King.

rationalfan
Now this makes the most sense out of everything that has been posted to date. Cook is looking for a payday and will resort to familiar tactics to find it. Keep in mind, there's an increasing sense a lockout will happen in 2010. No games, no potential paydays for his clients. Cook could be trying to use his biggest prize to cash in before a labor dispute and crumbling economy place restrictions on future contracts.

Thnikkaman
This is an argument I can get behind.

weazel
03-16-2009, 11:05 AM
I think most could have guessed this. Cook is a douchebag.

SOURCE: COOK WANTS NEW CONTRACT FOR CUTLER
Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2009, 11:34 a.m.
With none of the top quarterbacks in the draft pool picking him to be their agent, Bus Cook had to find a way to get his name into the NFL conversation in the weeks leading up to the 2009 version of the rookie selection process.

What better way to do it than to demonstrate his power and influence to the quarterback class of 2010 by forcing a trade of Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler?

Dan Patrick said on the Monday edition of his show that Cook recently responded to a report from Peter King that Cutler had asked for a trade before the possibility of trading Cutler ever arose with the time-honored non-denial denial: “Not that I know of.”

We’re now convinced that Cook is the primary instigator of Cutler’s discontent — and also the primary impediment to a meaningful coach-player meeting that could resolve the situation and keep Cutler around.

King told Patrick on Monday that coach Josh McDaniels still wants to have a one-on-one meeting with Cutler.

In other words, McDaniels wants to be able to talk to Cutler without Cook sticking his nose into the discussion, saying and doing things that will prevent Cutler’s currently stubborn resolve from weakening.

Indeed, a league source tells us that Cook’s idea for solving the current impasse was — what else? — a fat new contract for Cutler. If the Broncos aren’t willing to give Cutler a new deal, then Cook and Cutler want to be traded.

Cook is a West Virginia native, so we’d ordinarily be inclined to give him the Pat White treatment. In this case, we can’t. Cook has been at the center of too many unnecessary controversies, and he has failed to use his tremendous influence over his clients to persuade them to find a way to make things work. Instead, Cook has thrived of late on destroying existing relationships, for no apparent strategic reason other than to get his name in the paper.

That said, it’s not too late for the Broncos to take control of the situation. As pointed out in our latest SportingNews.com item, the Bengals did it last year with Chad Johnson, and the Cardinals did it last year (and might do it again this year) with Anquan Boldin. When a player is under contract for three more seasons, the team (not the player) has the power to determine whether the player will be traded or released before those three years expire.

If this is the case, I wouldn't trade him and tell him to go home. "Sit at home for three seasons, we'll call you before your contract is up and see what you've been doing for the last three years".

Quebec did it with Lindros, they didnt have to wait too long, because Philly offered up a massive amount of players that eventually gave Quebec/Colorado the cup.

I'm sorry, I jsut dont have much respect for arrogant, "me" players. Again, if this is what is happening, Jay looks like a complete moron that is being manipulated.

topscribe
03-16-2009, 11:07 AM

That tells me a lot. I've never cared much for Peter King's speculation . . .

-----

broncofaninfla
03-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Nothing would surprise me at this point. It's clear there is blood in the water so it wouldn't surprise me to see Cook trying and capitilize on that and make more $$$

UnderArmour
03-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Cool. Give him a $100 Million contract and we can all be happy.

Thnikkaman
Well, what is the common thread in last off season drama (Favre) and this one?

Thnikkaman
Cool. Give him a $100 Million contract and we can all be happy.

With the incentive that he fires his agent.

red98
03-16-2009, 11:12 AM

Peter King does not = league source.

Traveler
03-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Seems I can only hear one thing when Cutler or Cook speaks with the media:

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii273/Papi728/crying.jpg

claymore
03-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Give it to him. 10 Years 100 Mill......

dogfish
03-16-2009, 12:58 PM
i don't doubt at all that there's some truth to this, but i think it also has to be noted that the team provided the opportunity. . . cook didn't instigate trade talks between denver and other teams regarded matt cassell-- he may have jumped on it, and quite well may be trying to exploit it, but it was the ineptness of our front office in fielding offers and letting the word get out that created the opening for him. . . our rookie FO team got played like a fiddle on this one-- i hope they're bright enough to get it resolved, and that they learn something from it and don't leave themselves vulnerable in the future. . . neither execs of other teams nor agents have your best interests at heart-- they're a bunch of weaselly bastages, never turn your back on 'em for a second. . . coming from NE, doogie should've already known that. . . .

CoachChaz
03-16-2009, 01:01 PM
i don't doubt at all that there's some truth to this, but i think it also has to be noted that the team provided the opportunity. . . cook didn't instigate trade talks between denver and other teams regarded matt cassell-- he may have jumped on it, and quite well may be trying to exploit it, but it was the ineptness of our front office in fielding offers and letting the word get out that created the opening for him. . . our rookie FO team got played like a fiddle on this one-- i hope they're bright enough to get it resolved, and that they learn something from it and don't leave themselves vulnerable in the future. . . neither execs of other teams nor agents have your best interests at heart-- they're a bunch of weaselly bastages, never turn your back on 'em for a second. . . coming from NE, doogie should've already known that. . . .

Yeah, because the last thing I want to see from a new coach is him listening and exploring opportunities to make a very mediocre team better.

DenBronx
03-16-2009, 01:04 PM
shut cutler up and just pay the man. 7 years 65 mill. pull the trigger....do it and end all of this drama.

TXBRONC
03-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Yeah, because the last thing I want to see from a new coach is him listening and exploring opportunities to make a very mediocre team better.

Brilliant, trying to trade for a quarterback with less talent just because he has no learning curve for the offense is going to make this team better. :rolleyes:

NightTrainLayne
03-16-2009, 01:07 PM

One of the first reports that I saw last week involving Cook's name mentioned that he has very close ties to Tampa Bay, and that it wasn't outside the realm of possibility that Cook planted the idea in TB's head.

I'm not saying that's a fact, but it isn't any more speculation than anyone else is spouting off.

WARHORSE
03-16-2009, 01:16 PM

Yeah.........cause look at what his McEXPLORING has done to our franchise so far.

McLIAR has been McLYING and McScrewing up, and now, not only is our star QB upset, theres unrest among the veterans due to his handling of the lockeroom.

His INEXPERIENCE is dealing with these areas is killing us.

BigDaddyBronco
03-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Cook is a former trial attorney. My money is on him blowing this thing out of proportion to make Cutler (and thus himself) a lot of money. If the Broncos will not pay it, then you do everything to make them trade Cutler to someone who will pay you.

This would not have worked in the Shanny era as it never would have leaked in the first place and Shanny is too experienced with the agent game to let it play out like this. McDaniels has never done this before and in NE you always had Pioli and Bellichick making the moves.

Damn Bowlen for not having a real GM.

dogfish
03-16-2009, 01:27 PM

read my post again, coach-- where did i say they can't field offers? but if you're going to, you'd better either make the deal happen, or at least feel comfortable that you're dealing with another FO that's on the up-and-up and isn't going to intentionally leak info and put you in a bad situation. . . it's called covering your ass, instead of showing it to the world. . . .

Cook is a former trial attorney. My money is on him blowing this thing out of proportion to make Cutler (and thus himself) a lot of money. If the Broncos will not pay it, then you do everything to make them trade Cutler to someone who will pay you.

This would not have worked in the Shanny era as it never would have leaked in the first place and Shanny is too experienced with the agent game to let it play out like this. McDaniels has never done this before and in NE you always had Pioli and Bellichick making the moves.

Damn Bowlen for not having a real GM.

yep-- you don't see teams like NE or pitt getting played like this. . . rookie mistake from two young guys who've never done this before, and they're probably going to pay for it. . . .

CoachChaz
03-16-2009, 01:33 PM
read my post again, coach-- where did i say they can't field offers? but if you're going to, you'd better either make the deal happen, or at least feel comfortable that you're dealing with another FO that's on the up-and-up and isn't going to intentionally leak info and put you in a bad situation. . . it's called covering your ass, instead of showing it to the world. . . .

Let's not pretend this is the first time in NFL history where a "star" player was involved in trade talks and found out about it.

dogfish
03-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Let's not pretend this is the first time in NFL history where a "star" player was involved in trade talks and found out about it.

i wasn't. . . . let's not pretend that it's good for the franchise or something you want to happen, either. . . .

Lonestar
03-16-2009, 02:04 PM
on my blackberry taking a dump and have not read this thread .

Just wanted to say I have been saying follow the money for weeks now..

now that Brett is gone and bus has no income other than jay he has bills to pay..

If jay is stupid enough to not listen to this moron then he deserves what he gets..

Anyone wonder why he has refused to call Pat, Josh or anyone back without his mouth piece on teh phone with him.??.

I think we all know the answer to thatone..

it is always about the money folks always..

time to finish see Y'all later.

WARHORSE
03-16-2009, 02:10 PM

True.

There were the McDummies that traded Elway........

Our McDummies got em beat though.........theyre gonna trade Cutler after he came in and played like Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Alex Smith, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, David Klingler, Tim Couch, etc, etc.

Sure glad we're not STUPID.

We're gonna get McCassell, who, reminds me of Bubby Brister, who came in and won with a well oiled offense to four wins. NEVER MISSED A STEP WITHOUT ELWAY.

McDUMB. McDUMB. McDUMBER. McDUMEST.