PDA

View Full Version : Five Reasons Cutler Shouldn't be Complaining

Dr Velcro
03-16-2009, 09:36 AM
This article makes some pretty good points.

ESPN reporter Chris Mortensen recently released an article saying that Jay Cutler has formally asked to be traded from the Denver Broncos.

The disgruntled quarterback said that he "felt antagonized" by new head coach Josh McDaniels during their meeting on Saturday, where he then told his agent Bus Cook to request a trade.

Now, I can see why Cutler is upset, but at the same time, he has made this situation far worse than it needed to be. Here are five reasons why I feel Jay Cutler needs to shut up and play football.

5. Head Coach Josh McDaniels
Now, the I am sure you are wondering why I have put Josh McDaniels on this list. If you take a close look at the picture, who is McDaniels with and what game are they playing in?
http://bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/211/slideshow_21195/display_image.jpg
For those of you who don't know, he's with then NFL MVP Tom Brady and they happen to be playing in the Super Bowl. Seeing as Jay Cutler has never been to the postseason, and Josh McDaniels made Tom Brady a MVP and Matt Cassel a bona fide starter in this league (for now), working with him would make any young and inspiring quarterback salivate.

4. Defensive Upgrades

The additions of Brian Dawkins from Philly, Renaldo Hill and Andre Goodman from Miami, and Andra Davis from Cleveland will boost a defense that was by far one of the leagues worst last season.

You can count on the Broncos also having a defensive mindset in the draft, along with the usual offensive linemen they are known for drafting.

3. Brandon Marshall, Brandon Stokley, and Jabar Gaffney
Marshall caught 104 passes last season for 1,265 yards, but only six touchdowns. Brandon Stokley had 49 receptions for 528 yards and three touchdowns. He also had a receiving average of 10.8 yards.

Jabar Gaffney recorded 48 grabs for 468 yards and two scores. His yards per reception was 12.3 yards/ catch.

Now some of you may not think anything of these stats, but what they are saying is that all three of these receivers are capable of moving the ball down field.

2. The Money

Yeah, we all too would be smiling if we were getting paid millions of dollars to play a game.

You signed a six-year, $48 million contract in 2006. That came with $11 million in guaranteed money, along with performance escalators and other incentives.

If your ego is getting in the way of you making something like $5 million this year, then find a different job, please

Previous Next 1. John Elway

You were quoted saying that you have better arm now than John Elway did in his prime. Now, I don't look into this at all, but the fans that cheer for your current team do.

I am willing to guarantee you that most, if not all, of the Denver Broncos faithful took that comment out of context and now think that you think that you are better that John Elway.

You put your foot in your mouth, now you have to stay and prove to them that you weren't lying. Stay in Denver and win a couple championships. Then, if the Broncos try to trade you, then you can throw your little temper-tantrum.

Source
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/139856-5-reasons-jay-cutler-shouldnt-be-complaining#page/1

BroncoJoe
03-16-2009, 09:41 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f3ddb9&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Some people have tried to characterize the friction between Josh McDaniels and Jay Cutler as a battle of wills.

That's being way too generous -- to Cutler.

Cutler can threaten to stay away from the Denver Broncos' non-mandatory offseason conditioning program, which begins Monday. He can even skip their first mandatory minicamp, which begins April 17.

While he's at it, he can hold his breath and stomp his feet, too.

According to multiple NFL sources with knowledge of the situation, no amount of protesting is going to make McDaniels regret his decision to attempt to trade Cutler two weeks ago as part of a deal that would have brought Matt Cassel -- whom McDaniels helped mold into a highly-effective starter last season when they were with the New England Patriots -- to Denver.

Nor, the sources say, will it prompt the Broncos' new coach to seek to patch things up with Cutler, who is still smoldering about being the subject of trade talk.

"You will not see (McDaniels) flinch," one league source said. "I guarantee you this: He's in control of that situation. If this is a story about who is running that team, the last person in the world I'm going to alienate is a new coach in the first year of a four-year, multimillion-dollar deal.

"Last year, as an offensive coordinator in New England, he lost maybe the greatest quarterback in football (Tom Brady, to a season-ending knee injury). Then he turned a backup who hadn't started a game since high school into one of the top quarterbacks in the league. Josh is not frightened to go to the bench, if he has to."

There have been varying reports about what was supposed to have been a clear-the-air conference call earlier in the week between Cutler and his agent, Bus Cook, and the Broncos hierarchy of owner Pat Bowlen, chief operating officer Joe Ellis, general manager Brian Xanders and McDaniels. One source said, as far as the Broncos were concerned, the call went well because they were satisfied they had established to Cutler and his agent that he was no longer on the trading block. They pointed out the potential trade with the Patriots was something they did not seek; it came to them. And after Cassel was shipped to Kansas City, any trade discussion involving Cutler was over.

Still, the source said, the Broncos made no promise to Cutler that he was untradeable, which is why the three-year veteran didn't necessarily share the Broncos' opinion about the success of the call.

According to the source, although Cutler could very well be the Broncos' quarterback in 2009, he should not plan on getting such a commitment because McDaniels has no intention of giving it to him.

A Cutler trade could very well happen between now and April's draft, the source said. One league insider said to keep an eye on the Detroit Lions, who are looking to deal the top overall pick (where quarterback Georgia's Matthew Stafford could be selected). Another said to keep an eye on the Cleveland Browns, because they might very well be interested in a deal that would involve swapping Brady Quinn for Cutler. Like Cassel, Quinn is well-schooled in McDaniels' offense. He ran it while playing at Notre Dame for Charlie Weis, whom McDaniels succeeded as offensive coordinator of the Patriots.

Cutler won't be doing himself any favors if he allows his anger to get in the way of fully preparing to continue as the Broncos' starting quarterback. For one thing, it won't help his relationship with McDaniels. For another, if he skips offseason work, he will severely damage his ability to learn a new offensive scheme that is far different from the one he has known since joining the Broncos as a first-round draft pick in 2006.

The fact Bowlen had no problem parting ways with his previous coach, Mike Shanahan, should have been Cutler's first clue that he does not wield nearly as much power as he might think he does. Cutler, who became a prolific Pro Bowl passer under Shanahan, made it known that he didn't agree with the firing. Still, Bowlen wanted Shanahan out so much that he was willing to eat the remaining $20 million of his contract.

"If you can fire a Mike Shanahan, you can trade a kid like that," an NFL source said. "Everyone is disposable in this league. And (Cutler's) a guy who hasn't proven a thing yet. He's had some great statistics, but he hasn't won a thing yet.

"It's well known that Cutler is a highly sensitized person, but what are we really talking about here? A guy's feelings got hurt? In my mind, this is so much ado about nothing. The smartest thing Cutler can do is just shut up."

nthngd2say
03-16-2009, 09:51 AM
#5 I think its only fair to include that along with Brady [and Cassel], McDaniels worked with Moss and Welker [Stallworth and Gaffney are 3rd or 4th WR at best in my opinion] so McDaniels wasn't the only reason for success. The Pats also have a defense. The statement implied that McDaniels was the reason for the Pats offensive success and SuperBowl appearances.
#4 The defensive upgrades look solid on paper but we have brought guys in before defensively and none besides Champ and Lynch really panned out for more than a season. The defense will also be learning a new system which typically takes time. I guess Cutler could be excited that the Broncos defense likely should be better than 30th overall although that is not saying much.
#3 Gaffney is not a reason to salivate to me but I would say Royal is but he's not listed. Marshall also is looking at a lengthy suspension but I agree most QB would look at Marshall, Royal, and Stokley and be excited.
#2 If Cutler is traded he will make the same money with his new team - they'd inherit his contract. I would also guess that $ is very low on Cutler's list but that is only my opinion I don't know that as fact.
#1 While I don't like a 2nd year starter comparing himself to the Duke, I don't really see proving he's better than Elway as a valid argument as it would likely take 16 years or so for Cutler to prove that at least statistically. Saying he has a stronger arm, while lame to some fans, doesn't matter as much as winning SuperBowls so that's going to take time to judge fairly.

I think both the Broncos and Cutler should have handled things differently but this is where things are. I also think these issues can be worked based on recent statements from both McDaniels and Cutler. I don't see Cutler being traded but until the situation is resolved either with Cutler remaining or being traded, I think that its easy to pass judgement on either side using stats or media info that best fit which side people choose to support. No one knows the facts for sure as each report, even from the Post or CBS4, has some contradictory statements. I'd rather hope for the best and see what the facts are once the dust settles.

Dr Velcro
03-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Not to mention there are some really great QB's out there who have been overlooked, dissed & still showed-up come practice & game time.

I give you Tom Brady (as much as I hate to say it)....who was not top pick from the start. He'd still be holding the clipboard on the bench had Bledsoe not gotten hurt.

Brett Favre...Do you think Atlanta regrets giving him up now? I do....

Drew Brees....Mr humble pie, no matter where he ended-up.

Just to mention a few.

Rex
03-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Sorry,....this thread is getting ignored.

Everyone is too busy trying to fire the coach that hasnt coached a game yet.

Dr Velcro
03-16-2009, 10:23 AM

It's okay. I'm rooting for you guys to have a good season.

I hope it all pans out for the best.

claymore
03-16-2009, 10:25 AM

Nice of you to take your face out of plummers lap for a quick post.

DallasChief
03-16-2009, 10:26 AM
For those of you who don't know, he's with then NFL MVP Tom Brady and they happen to be playing in the Super Bowl. Seeing as Jay Cutler has never been to the postseason, and Josh McDaniels made Tom Brady a MVP and Matt Cassel a bona fide starter in this league (for now), working with him would make any young and inspiring quarterback salivate.

Um.. does McDaniels really get credit for making Brady an MVP? I think that's a reach.

G_Money
03-16-2009, 10:35 AM
5) McDaniels is in a long line of OCs who did wonderful things. How's Martz? Linehan? Cam Cameron? Being an offensive coordinator and being a head coach are two very different things. Would it be nice if Cutler was able to learn some new tricks for his bag from McDaniels? Sure. But McDaniels would first have to want to teach them to him, and Cutler doesn't feel like that's what McDaniels wants. Hard to learn from a man who tells you every time he talks to you that he has no problem trading you, you weren't his guy, and you're not gonna be his guy.

4) Defensive personnel? That's the reason he should listen to McDaniels and work this out? Because the D won't suck as horribly as last year? Well, that would be nice, if true, but as we found out in 08, it can always get worse. And the guy who wrote the article does realize that DC Nolan had some atrocious defenses in San Fran, right? Nolan does as well as the pieces he has. Right now, he doesn't have all the pieces for a 3-4 or a 4-3, and we're still gonna try to hybrid it last I heard. That wouldn't make me ridiculously comfortable and wanting to patch things up, no. Adding 2nd and 3rd tier players to the D and saying "well hey, at least they aren't the 4th and 5th tier players from last year" is an interesting sales pitch.

3) I love how they left Eddie Royal off this list. And I think Cutler knows what his offensive weapons are. They're dumping one of them (Scheffler) because he doesn't fit the system. Marshall might miss 8 games and then be gone the following year. Stokley's on his last legs. What looked like a solid receiving corps for years, a la Harrison/Wayne/Clark now looks like it's falling apart. "Hey Jay, stick around! We're firing one of your friends, the other probably won't be here next year, but I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun in this offense. Sleep well, and remember, I'll most likely kill you in the morning."

2) Money? He'll get paid. If he never played again he would have enough money for the rest of his life. But it's not "play for the Broncos or never play again." It's "play for the Broncos or play for any number of other teams in this league, all of whom will drive dumptrucks full of money up to your door." Telling Cutler to shut up and play is like telling you to shut up about how much you dislike your job. If you're gonna stay there, then yeah, shut up. If you're disgruntled enough to leave, then you're putting your money where your mouth is, so to speak. Cutler said he would show up for all the mandatory stuff. And we'll see if he stays or goes.

1) The number one reason is because fans might take a comment about Elway the wrong way? Uh huh. Sure. Jay's career is his own. Elway forced a trade before he ever played a down for the Colts, but apparently he wasn't a crybaby. He got one of the winningest coaches in history fired, but he wasn't a cancer or a pouter. All Jay's said is "Either tell me you want me to be your guy, or get rid of me like you wanted to before." And he doesn't feel like McDaniels said he the former at any time to him. *shrugs* This to me is far more acceptable than Elway's draft-day speech, or Eli Manning's ultimatums. Cutler's taking a stand instead of rolling over, and he does have a leg to stand on. Apparently people only like stubbornness in their athletes when it's convenient. Otherwise, just roll over and show your belly to the brand new head coach and stop taking things personally.

Elway took things personally. He did all right.

Jay'll do all right. It just won't be with us.

And now we've got to come up with a plan for doing all right without Jay.

~G

Dr Velcro
03-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Um.. does McDaniels really get credit for making Brady an MVP? I think that's a reach.

No, but he's been in there & knows a few things. He's worked along side these guys. He's been a part of a SB winning team. You can't discredit that.

Guys, don't get me wrong...I can't stand the Pats...I'm a damned Colts fan for goodness sake.

But McDaniels isn't a Pat anymore, he's a Bronco. He's here to do a job, not ruin a team. He's not a traitor. He wants wins & a name for himself as a head coach.

I'm starting to think he's not the bad guy. He's come into a long tenure of frustration.

DallasChief
03-16-2009, 10:38 AM
No, but he's been in there & knows a few things. He's worked along side these guys. He's been a part of a SB winning team. You can't discredit that.

Guys, don't get me wrong...I can't stand the Pats...I'm a damned Colts fan for goodness sake.

But McDaniels isn't a Pat anymore, he's a Bronco. He's here to do a job, not ruin a team. He's not a traitor. He wants wins & a name for himself as a head coach.

I'm starting to think he's not the bad guy. He's come into a long tenure of frustration.

What's the success rate of Patriot assistants that left? Not that great.

Mike
03-16-2009, 10:47 AM

You can say the same for the long list of failed OC/DC of the Pats who have gone on to become HC. They been a part of those SB winning teams. In the end there are several constants from those teams...HC, QB, solid core players/leadership on the D.

Until he coaches a game his history with the Pats don't amount to much. All I can go off of what has happened over the last several weeks...which doesn't speak well for him.

CoachChaz
03-16-2009, 10:54 AM
What's the success rate of Patriot assistants that left? Not that great.

Notre Dame, the Jets and Browns. As bad as Denver has been, I still wouldnt put them in the same sinkhole as those teams. And really...did Mangini do such a bad job in NY?

Rex
03-16-2009, 10:56 AM
How about: "5 Reasons that Clay has to live"?

I mean, chances are good that he will kill himself if Cutler is traded.

DallasChief
03-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Notre Dame, the Jets and Browns. As bad as Denver has been, I still wouldnt put them in the same sinkhole as those teams. And really...did Mangini do such a bad job in NY?

Weren't the Jets 4-12 a year ago?

frauschieze
03-16-2009, 10:58 AM

And I've seen the way Cutler has acted throughout all sorts of turmoil and problems and it's never been remotely close to this. We still have the same overly emotional quarterback as we've had for three years, which leads me to think something is rotten in Dove Valley.

Dr Velcro
03-16-2009, 11:01 AM
The bottom line is this....

Jay isn't making himself look good.
Even if he's in the right...he's not staying quiet long enough for anybody to see past the tantrums. He should shut it for now....or maybe find a new agent who can keep his head in check.

As far as you new HC?

Speculate-

That's really all one can do as a fan, now isn't it?

Let's not talk about what hasn't happened yet.

Let's not base this HC's future on the past of others who have been in his shoes.

And really....really?

I don't want to say this cuz it will be taken the wrong way....but...

It's not like a SB team has been ripped to shreds here.
You guys weren't a SB team, and really you have nothing to lose at this point.

All I can say is....we'll see.

That's all any of us can say at this point, instead of running around in circles, pissing and moaning about all this.

Have some faith in Pat Bowlen, remember that guy?
The owner of the team you guys love so much?

And look at it this way.....

He's not Mike Brown.
Thank God for that.