PDA

View Full Version : Lifting Weights

TheReverend
02-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Any one else have interesting in weight lifting for either strength training, hyper trophy, bodybuilding or powerlifting?

Currently in a $100,000 12wk transformation contest, and outside of a shoulder injury (prettyyyyyyyyyyyyyy sure I tore something in there), am killing it so far and pretty optimistic on my chances to place (over 6,000 competing :/ )

Anyway, figured it gay shit like Disc Golf and tennis have their own threads (no offense to guys in those threads lol), this should as well.

CoachChaz
02-14-2012, 05:05 PM
lol

underrated29
02-14-2012, 05:12 PM
yes, I do a modified version of the p90x. Love it! Im not so much into body building as I am good physical condition and endurance.

I play hockey so body building would do me more harm then good. Having said that a competition for 100K sounds pretty effing enticing. I wonder if they will have more of these. You'd be surprised what I will do and lengths I will go to for 100K (feel free anyway to add your own perverted jokes to this...........their probably true anyway)

Gots any infos on this?

SR
02-14-2012, 05:15 PM
I lift. I'm not huge or anything, but I love doing it. There is a workout thread already.

TheReverend
02-14-2012, 05:25 PM
yes, I do a modified version of the p90x. Love it! Im not so much into body building as I am good physical condition and endurance.

I play hockey so body building would do me more harm then good. Having said that a competition for 100K sounds pretty effing enticing. I wonder if they will have more of these. You'd be surprised what I will do and lengths I will go to for 100K (feel free anyway to add your own perverted jokes to this...........their probably true anyway)

Gots any infos on this?

Entry time for that 100k contest is over, but there's a BTS or something one that may still be open (for dramatically less prize money), but I'll try and find some info tomorrow if you want.

Also, I think you'd be surprised at how effective different work outs could be towards hockey. Lots of ways to add some lean mass and power without getting too bulky or losing flexibility.

I bounce my weight around a LOT over the year and looked freakishly lean this past summer (right now cutting to single digit bf% to try and win contest)

underrated29
02-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Entry time for that 100k contest is over, but there's a BTS or something one that may still be open (for dramatically less prize money), but I'll try and find some info tomorrow if you want.

Also, I think you'd be surprised at how effective different work outs could be towards hockey. Lots of ways to add some lean mass and power without getting too bulky or losing flexibility.

I bounce my weight around a LOT over the year and looked freakishly lean this past summer (right now cutting to single digit bf% to try and win contest)

If youve got time I wouldnt mind. Working out for money has 2 benefits.

What kind of workouts are you alluding too? Not sure if you are familiar with the p90x-its not the greatest, but I modded it up and it has done really well for me so far. Like you, I am trying to lean out-a bit right now. After I got my finger broken ( FU Tned!) i couldnt play or lift and kept my high diet and gained a surprising lot of pounds in just 7 weeks.

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 01:20 PM
If youve got time I wouldnt mind. Working out for money has 2 benefits.

What kind of workouts are you alluding too? Not sure if you are familiar with the p90x-its not the greatest, but I modded it up and it has done really well for me so far. Like you, I am trying to lean out-a bit right now. After I got my finger broken ( FU Tned!) i couldnt play or lift and kept my high diet and gained a surprising lot of pounds in just 7 weeks.

Sorry for the delay, was at GF's for V-day and by the time I got home this morning I was running late for some fasted cardio I do everyday and then lunch.

I'm familiar with p90x and I think it's a really great tool and stepping stone for beginners, but if you're willing to invest the time to learn about different workouts, and even more importantly, nutrition, you can much more significant strides doing other things. IMO, at least.

Here's the contest I was just telling you about:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/february-transformation-challenge.html

Grand prize for this one is 10k cash + other prizes so not too bad.

Let me know if you need help registering or anything. I have the same username on that site so I'm pretty easy to find (yes, previous contest progress pics of me flexing in my underwear. no, not embarrassed lol)

Dzone
02-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Hell yes, lifting steel is the fountain of youth...Ive been doing it for 35 years
and I will keep doing it another 35 at least...I like to run sprints, hills and stadium steps for cardio
Killing it in the gym is my sanctuary

Mike
02-15-2012, 04:15 PM
I love working out. Some of us use this thread to discuss it.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143561

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 04:24 PM
I love working out. Some of us use this thread to discuss it.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143561

Awesome, posted and sub'd in that thread.

SR
02-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Might as well merge the two.

BroncoNut
02-15-2012, 04:51 PM
I used to love working out. it's so hard to get that bug back though.

SR
02-15-2012, 04:56 PM

Fact.

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 05:05 PM

Wipe your snatch and dive in.

chazoe60
02-15-2012, 05:16 PM
I can max about 145 lbs, is that good?

weazel
02-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Sorry for the delay, was at GF's for V-day and by the time I got home this morning I was running late for some fasted cardio I do everyday and then lunch.

I'm familiar with p90x and I think it's a really great tool and stepping stone for beginners, but if you're willing to invest the time to learn about different workouts, and even more importantly, nutrition, you can much more significant strides doing other things. IMO, at least.

Here's the contest I was just telling you about:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/february-transformation-challenge.html

Grand prize for this one is 10k cash + other prizes so not too bad.

Let me know if you need help registering or anything. I have the same username on that site so I'm pretty easy to find (yes, previous contest progress pics of me flexing in my underwear. no, not embarrassed lol)

ya all those professional athletes in the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB must be using P90X as a stepping stone so they can someday be as fit as you

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 08:04 PM
ya all those professional athletes in the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB must be using P90X as a stepping stone so they can someday be as fit as you

...I'm sorry, you think professional athletes are using P90X?

The same guys that have actual professional strength coaches? Tuten for example (recently fired lol)

Are you special?

weazel
02-15-2012, 08:10 PM
...I'm sorry, you think professional athletes are using P90X?

The same guys that have actual professional strength coaches? Tuten for example (recently fired lol)

Are you special?

no the only special person here is you... you've told us how special you are since you got her

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 08:11 PM
no the only special person here is you... you've told us how special you are since you got her douchebag

Insightful post. Thanks for adding.

LOL @ Canada.

weazel
02-15-2012, 08:16 PM

LOL @ Canada.

You do know that the entire Philadephia Eagles team used P90X for a season, right? So did the Montreal Canadiens, but their Canadian so they must be pussies

Dzone
02-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Peeps lose about 1 pound of muscle per year after age 40. That means your metabolism slows down and you gain fat weight. Your muscle mass drops but your weight goes up. Its like increasing the size of the car while decreasing the size of the engine. But its preventable if you lift weights.

Dzone
02-15-2012, 08:35 PM
LMAO! I didnt realize I just posted in the middle of a flaming war..haha...sorry...
Highly entertaining.

SR
02-15-2012, 08:47 PM

LOL @ Canada.

You do know that the entire Philadephia Eagles team used P90X for a season, right? So did the Montreal Canadiens, but their Canadian so they must be pussies

P90X and Cross fit are no joke. But a lot of weight lifters who think they're God's gift to fitness look at those programs like they're below them.

SR
02-15-2012, 08:48 PM

Better than all the girly men

Dzone
02-15-2012, 08:51 PM
P90X is freakin cool. That Tony Horton dude is over 50 I think.
I havent done it, but I watched it a few times...lol...People can get in shape with that, hell ya

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 08:59 PM
P90X is freakin cool. That Tony Horton dude is over 50 I think.
I havent done it, but I watched it a few times...lol...People can get in shape with that, hell ya

No one's disputing that. Dude threw a hissy fit because I said there are more effective alternatives if you're willing to invest the time to learn them.

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 09:03 PM
OH LAWD, so I looked into "Eagles p90x" because... well... it's obviously bullshit, and guess what?

David Akers, their KICKER, was the one doing it in the off-season.

I swear, I'm about to die laughing over this kid's posts.

BroncoNut
02-15-2012, 09:05 PM
holy crap. Chazeo puts up 145 on the leg press?

weazel
02-15-2012, 09:19 PM
No one's disputing that. Dude threw a hissy fit because I said there are more effective alternatives if you're willing to invest the time to learn them.

nah no hissy fit, just called you a douchebag because you scream look at me! in every thread your in... you must be a pretty insecure person. Oh.. and then stated pro athletes that have used P90X.

underrated29
02-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Its a good point. I actually got p90x back in '05- looong time ago and the reason I got it is because a bunch of the moves they were doing in the vids were the same exact moves I did in dry land training when I was playing college hockey. I recognised those moves and knew it was legit.

Is it the best thing out there, I have no clue as I've never been huge into body building. But if you modify it slightly you can make it pretty sexy. I have no clue about pro athletes using it. Wouldn't surprise me though if some did.

underrated29
02-15-2012, 09:25 PM
holy crap. Chazeo puts up 145 on the leg press?

Not leg press nut, he pushes that with his 3rd leg!

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 09:26 PM
nah no hissy fit, just called you a douchebag because you scream look at me! in every thread your in... you must be a pretty insecure person. Oh.. and then stated pro athletes that have used P90X.

"The Eagles used it! All season!"

Actually their kicker... just in an off-season... maybe as part of an endorsement deal.

weazel
02-15-2012, 09:27 PM
"The Eagles used it! All season!"

Actually their kicker... just in an off-season... maybe as part of an endorsement deal.

actually its been stated on Rome that the whole team used it... although I have seen the ad with Akers your talking about.

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 09:28 PM
actually its been stated on Rome that the whole team used it... although I have seen the ad with Akers your talking about.

Link.

Link ANY supporting evidence to ANY of your claims.

Once again, I didn't even knock the program, but to throw a little girl fit because someone pointed out there are SUPERIOR alternatives to whatever your goals is nothing shy of hilarious.

So keep trying.

Link.

weazel
02-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Link.

Once again, I didn't even knock the program, but to throw a little girl fit because someone pointed out there are SUPERIOR alternatives to whatever your goals is nothing shy of hilarious.

So keep trying.

Link.

I've never recorded an episode of Rome, I guess thats just something I didnt think I needed to do...

jsut a quick google got me a couple of them though http://www.thecelebrityworkout.com/2012/02/p90x-celebrity-fitness-product/

Some athletes who use P90x include Emmitt Smith (former RB for the Dallas Cowboys), Ray Lewis (Baltimore Ravens), Donovan McNabb (QB Washington Redskins), Brian Westbrook (RB Philadelphia Eagles), Brett Favre (QB Minnesota Vikings), Kelly Slater (surfer), Barry Zito (pitcher, San Francisco Giants), Brian Wilson (pitcher, San Francisco Giants), Jo-Jo Reyes (pitcher, Atlanta Braves), Kenny Smith (former Guard for the Houston Rockets; TNT analyst), Ray Allen (Boston Celtics), and Baron Davis

oh heres a link to a Horton quote talking about visiting the Eagles training and finding out they use it... http://blog.mydot.com/post/Fitness-P90X2-Tony-Horton.aspx

I guess that wont be enough though, you will probably want shirtless pictures of the players, hey douche?

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 09:35 PM
So you have no link?

I thought the Eagles used it for a season?

I mean... that would be REALLY easy to source bro.

weazel
02-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Link.

So keep trying.

Link.

nope, you said pro athletes didnt use it... douche

weazel
02-15-2012, 09:38 PM
So you have no link?

I thought the Eagles used it for a season?

I mean... that would be REALLY easy to source bro.

are you blind or did you get body glitter in your eyes?

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 09:42 PM
are you blind or did you get body glitter in your eyes?

http://menversus.com/images/bertstare.jpg

Are you kidding me? You post a link from the P90X guy himself claiming he's seen them using it and extrapolate from that the Eagles not only did in fact use it, but that they used it all season?

Dzone
02-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Benefits of strength training:
Fat loss
Muscle preservation
Improves body composition
Increases metabolism
Positively effects almost all of your 650+ muscles
Increases functional strength (for day-to-day activities)
Increases bone density (especially important for over 35)
Improved insulin sensitivity
Increases energy
Improves posture
Improves balance and co-ordination
Improves digestion
Reduces risk of back injury
Increases HDL cholesterol (the good type!)
Improves immune system
Improves muscular endurance
Lowers blood pressure
Lowers resting heart rate
Relieves stress
Improves mood
Makes you look good naked!

SR
02-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Link.

So keep trying.

Link.

******* let it go and move on with your life. Jesus H.

Dzone
02-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Am sure P90x is used by nfl players, but I guarantee it is not their primary workout. No way. Sure they can supplement with p90x...p90X is a decent workout. its not a ***** workout. But it isnt an NFL workout, nothing but a supplemental workout. So Now there is a P90x2 ..what is that all about?

Rex
02-16-2012, 12:47 PM
"What step of P90x to you have to tell everyone you know you are doing it and how great it is"?

BroncoNut
02-16-2012, 01:36 PM

that is plenty Chazoe. I'm assuming that you are still menstruating (you looked young enough to me)

cuzz4169
02-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Hey if you pm me your email I can send you some stuff we use at college.

TheReverend
02-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Hey if you pm me your email I can send you some stuff we use at college.

Routine specific? I would be curious to look at it at the very least.

cuzz4169
02-16-2012, 08:05 PM
It's some plyo's, speed stuff, some weight training, and I have a friend in the cardinals organization so I got all their shoulder workouts.

TheReverend
02-16-2012, 08:14 PM
It's some plyo's, speed stuff, some weight training, and I have a friend in the cardinals organization so I got all their shoulder workouts.

Interesting...

If I PM you will you tell me who your friend so I can see if I know him?

cuzz4169
02-16-2012, 08:32 PM
He's not a player just put it like that. ;)

TheReverend
02-16-2012, 08:45 PM
He's not a player just put it like that. ;)

Okay definitely PMd now

cuzz4169
02-16-2012, 09:13 PM
For some reason my phone isn't refreshing and showing your pm. I'm at work so if it does I will send email. If it doesn't I'll send when I get home. Didn't want you to think I left ya hangn.

cuzz4169
02-16-2012, 09:14 PM
By the way when I say Cardinals I'm meaning baseball.

TheReverend
02-16-2012, 09:20 PM
By the way when I say Cardinals I'm meaning baseball.

Hahahahahahahaha

Well there goes that!

cuzz4169
02-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Yea but these shoulder workouts are solid. They are the pitcher workouts for the small muscles. I use them for my stepson who's a young qb. Just nice to have.

TheReverend
02-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Yea but these shoulder workouts are solid. They are the pitcher workouts for the small muscles. I use them for my stepson who's a young qb. Just nice to have.

Oh yeah, still email the stuff please.

Nomad
02-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Peeps lose about 1 pound of muscle per year after age 40. That means your metabolism slows down and you gain fat weight. Your muscle mass drops but your weight goes up. Its like increasing the size of the car while decreasing the size of the engine. But its preventable if you lift weights.

Ensure and Joint Juice!:D

Nomad
02-18-2012, 02:38 PM

Sounds like myself! Nut....just get one of those Shack Weights or do you already have one:D?!? Here's a funny link....... http://www.obesitypanacea.com/2010/01/10-most-annoying-gym-personalities-tips.html. Which one are you, Nut?!?

I do lift weights occasionally with my sons, but they're both lifting at school so they rarely lift at home anymore. I'm trying to get started again but as you say it's hard to get back into it. I do pushups and situps (crunches) and go on the treadmill every now and then.

Dzone
07-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Lifting weights deserves its own thread.
Exercise could mean anything. Jane Fonda and richard simmons video is exercise. :pound:

TheReverend
07-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Lifting weights deserves its own thread.
Exercise could mean anything. Jane Fonda and richard simmons video is exercise. :pound:

90% of the workout discussion is weights and diet related, so this thread is pretty obsolete

Dzone
07-17-2012, 04:09 PM
90% of the workout discussion is weights and diet related, so this thread is pretty obsolete

Oh ok, I guess youre right Rev. I love it all.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-17-2012, 06:51 PM

If you're referring to squats, yeah, that's pretty good buddy! :laugh:

I like lifting, but since I started working 55-60 hours a week I just haven't had time for it, especially not with my wife working and us having 4 kids.

nyuk nyuk
07-17-2012, 07:01 PM
I actually need to go do that right about now. I'm a female so I don't do who knows what, but I hold my own. :cool:

nyuk nyuk
07-17-2012, 07:02 PM
I like lifting, but since I started working 55-60 hours a week I just haven't had time for it, especially not with my wife working and us having 4 kids.

Ouch, man! Good luck!

NickelTG
07-18-2012, 10:10 AM
1700+ raw total. Haven't competed since 07 though. I done well then. Nowadays,i'm a slave to the man,and i'm more fitness based. Kudos to anyone who does their time in the gym.

BroncoNut
07-18-2012, 10:11 AM
I actually need to go do that right about now. I'm a female so I don't do who knows what, but I hold my own. :cool:

titties or ****

TheReverend
07-18-2012, 10:26 AM
1700+ raw total. Haven't competed since 07 though. I done well then. Nowadays,i'm a slave to the man,and i'm more fitness based. Kudos to anyone who does their time in the gym.

Bench/squat/dead over 1700? If so, jesus christ. Those are pro numbers for sure, how big are you?

BroncoNut
07-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Bench/squat/dead over 1700? If so, jesus christ. Those are pro numbers for sure, how big are you?
can you imagine what Mo would squat. He'd make it look easy