PDA

View Full Version : Another Option for the Broncos 1st Round Pick

Ziggy
02-14-2012, 04:13 PM
With the new CBA rules, any player that has the franchise tag slapped on him will cost the team that he signs with a 1st round pick. In the last CBA, it was a 1st and 3rd, but the price has been reduced. This opens up a slew of possibilities for teams like the Broncos. With the 25th pick in the draft, they can take a chance on a guy that's unproven or simply use that pick on a proven NFL player.

For example, the Texans are going to have to decide whether to franchise Mario Williams or Arian Foster. The Bears will be franchising Matt Forte. The Ravens, Ray Rice. The Packers, Jermichal Finley.

Any of these players would be worth the 25th pick in the draft. Ideally, we sign some value free agents and keep our first. However, if we can get a proven star player entering his prime, I'd give up that first in a heartbeat.

Give me any of the guys previously listed and I'd give up that 1st with a smile. The Broncos instantly add a superstar to the roster, rather than the shot at an unproven player becoming a superstar in a year or two. Picking late in the 1st now has it's advantages.

MileHighCrew
02-14-2012, 04:17 PM
not the worst plan, but I think that is a move to put you over the top. Might kill the relationship with other teams if you do that. It is a big no-no in the hockey world to offer a contract to another teams RFA, even though it is allowed. Kevin Lowe did it and a lot of other GM's took exception with it

SECOBroncosFan
02-14-2012, 04:32 PM
I think the Broncos are more committed to draft picks but I sure would like to see Ray Rice as a Bronco

underrated29
02-14-2012, 04:39 PM
umm super mario for the 25th pick? Sold.

Northman
02-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Not a bad plan but i think Denver will still be going via draft to get "their" guys.

UnderArmour
02-14-2012, 05:06 PM
I think that you're confusing the franchise tag with a restricted free agent tender. Franchise tag costs 2 first round picks and teams have an option of making their free agent exclusive rights, meaning that they cannot negotiate with other teams.

Pittsburgh's current dilemma is whether or not to franchise Mike Wallace or open the window of another team giving him an offer sheet. Ditto for Houston with Arian Foster. In this CBA, the first and 3rd round tender went out the window but IIRC the franchise tag was unaffected. So four year+ pros like Mario Williams(It'd be $22 million for Houston to franchise him anyway so that's not happening), Ray Rice, Matt Forte are off the table here.

VonSackemMiller
02-14-2012, 05:08 PM
how about they do there jobs and find there own finleys ray rices fortes? Only one guy you listed was a first round pick. they need to do there homework and draft there own great players. I want my 21 year old stud draft picks. If those guys were ob the open marjet fine, but there not so draft your own elite talents efx!

dogfish
02-14-2012, 05:08 PM
highly doubt you'll see it, ziggy. . . think about the contract we'd have to give along with giving up the first. . . bowlen's not doing that. . . hitting on your firsts and getting good starters under contract for cheap will be more important than ever in this brave new world. . .

Lancane
02-14-2012, 05:15 PM
It's not a bad idea, but something we'll likely see more of starting next year, when teams have to use almost the entirety of their available cap. Which would improve the draft as well, because we'll start to see more talent slide. But in the first year of it's conception? Probably not so much. There will be a team or two who'll go that route, but for the most part I believe we'll see a lot of focus on free agency and the draft.

Ziggy
02-14-2012, 05:18 PM
how about they do there jobs and find there own finleys ray rices fortes? Only one guy you listed was a first round pick. they need to do there homework and draft there own great players. I want my 21 year old stud draft picks. If those guys were ob the open marjet fine, but there not so draft your own elite talents efx!

Go ahead and point out which NFL GM's have never missed on a first round draft pick.

underrated29
02-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Go ahead and point out which NFL GM's have never missed on a first round draft pick.

Matt millen.

Ziggy
02-14-2012, 05:24 PM
I think that you're confusing the franchise tag with a restricted free agent tender. Franchise tag costs 2 first round picks and teams have an option of making their free agent exclusive rights, meaning that they cannot negotiate with other teams.

Pittsburgh's current dilemma is whether or not to franchise Mike Wallace or open the window of another team giving him an offer sheet. Ditto for Houston with Arian Foster. In this CBA, the first and 3rd round tender went out the window but IIRC the franchise tag was unaffected. So four year+ pros like Mario Williams(It'd be $22 million for Houston to franchise him anyway so that's not happening), Ray Rice, Matt Forte are off the table here.

You're absolutely right UnderArmor. Good catch. It still leaves guys like Arian Foster and Mike Wallace in that boat though.

weazel
02-14-2012, 05:25 PM

:drinking:

VonSackemMiller
02-14-2012, 05:44 PM

What does that have to do with anything? We need to do our own homework period.

OrangeHoof
02-14-2012, 08:11 PM
IIRC, the deals that surrender draft picks are about next year's draft not this April's draft so if we signed a franchise player or an RFA, the draft choices wouldn't come out of this April's class. That might still be a strategy for consistent good franchises like the Packers, Steelers and Patriots but would be very risky for an 8-8 team like us.

WARHORSE
02-14-2012, 09:43 PM
It's not a bad idea, but something we'll likely see more of starting next year, when teams have to use almost the entirety of their available cap. Which would improve the draft as well, because we'll start to see more talent slide. But in the first year of it's conception? Probably not so much. There will be a team or two who'll go that route, but for the most part I believe we'll see a lot of focus on free agency and the draft.

This is exactly so, and it would be WISE to invest in a player that is known, like a Foster or a Mario Williams.

Since each team will HAVE to spend the money next year, the wise thing to do is to sign big name players this year and place the brunt of their payday into next years cap floor.

Better to do that than to have to spend it on rookies or players that arent proven.

The cap floor will make the teams renegotiate contracts before theyre over imo, giving money to players who are making plays.

Come next offseason, if we havent spent our limit, and we already have the 53 man roster filled out........which of the players do you pay? Obviously you pay the ones who have shown the ability to play in this league.

For us, that would be Von Miller.

I wouldnt be surprised if we spend some money this offseason, gearing the contracts to help make sure we hit the salary cap floor next season.

The Texans better get moving on signing Mario or Arian, because if they dont.....they're gonna lose one.:coffee:

VonSackemMiller
02-14-2012, 11:19 PM
If there free agents sign em! If not oh well draft one like him.

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Strong post, Ziggy