PDA

View Full Version : Mays Hopes to Follow up Career Year

Denver Native (Carol)
02-14-2012, 02:18 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- When Joe Mays walked off the field following Denver’s 45-10 defeat to the New England Patriots in the Divisional Round of the playoffs, he did so knowing what a lot of players around the league thought following their last game of the season -- that might be the last time he dons his current team’s uniform.

Mays is an unrestricted free agent this offseason. For Mays, he would love to build on his established career with the Broncos.

“I would love to,” Mays said. “I love it here. These last two seasons have been my best two years in the league. Hopefully the coaching staff feels I’m valuable enough to bring me back. I’m just looking forward to see what’s going to happen and hopefully they do bring me back.”

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Mays-Hopes-to-Follow-up-Career-Year/feed5716-11d6-4df2-aa00-1e0182993d05

GEM
02-14-2012, 02:22 PM
How about just concentrate on not overrunning coverage and tackling your guy. Let's keep it simple.

TXBRONC
02-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Mays did ok but I think upgrade is still needed.

underrated29
02-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Mays would be an ideal 34 ILB...A guy whose sole job is to be a run thumper. Thats all Joe can do. Even as a 34 he would only be average, but I still like him. He is good depth, great on ST, and cheap, i would like to see him stay.

topscribe
02-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Ugh. Okay, as a backup, maybe. But the Broncos need a better starter . . .

-----

LTC Pain
02-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Mays had a career year??? Here's to hoping Nate Irving has a better year next season!

CoachChaz
02-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Fine...but the next time I see him dive at dirt, he's gone

Ziggy
02-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Mays was possibly the worst starting MLB in the NFL. When we upgrade that position, our defense will find themselves in a lot more 3rd and long situations. It will make a huge difference in both points and yards allowed. JDR knows linebacker play. I have full confidence that the position will be upgraded.

WARHORSE
02-14-2012, 04:08 PM
I got no problem with Mays following up his career year.

:coffee:

As long as it isnt here.

wayninja
02-14-2012, 06:11 PM
He had a few good games in there. I think he can get better, but yeah, he probably shouldn't be a starter...

Jsteve01
02-14-2012, 07:24 PM
his read and react is broke. upgrade needed

Joel
02-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Mays would be an ideal 34 ILB...A guy whose sole job is to be a run thumper. Thats all Joe can do. Even as a 34 he would only be average, but I still like him. He is good depth, great on ST, and cheap, i would like to see him stay.
3-4 ILBs must play pass coverage; the way most 3-4s are run now they are usually the ONLY LBs who do. Mays can't, but at least made tackles early in the year. By the end of the year he couldn't even do that.

VonSackemMiller
02-14-2012, 11:23 PM
man mays had his games ahere he was blowing shit up early in the year then as the year went on he got terrible.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-15-2012, 09:02 AM

The problem now is, he started a whole year at MLB for us. Now he's going to be expect to be paid like a starter. I doubt, if we re-sign him, he'll come anywhere near as cheap as his rookie (5th round, IIRC) deal.

Like all young players, Mays needs to develop. It was his first year being counted on to be "the guy" in the middle of a 4-3 defense. If EFX thinks he can be the guy long term, then I trust their judgement. We must have a solid MLB for our 4-3 defense who can run sideline to sideline and consistently picks the right gaps in run support. If Mays can be that guy, great. If not Irving or someone else needs to get a shot.

I'm still in favor of not signing Mays and making a play for Dan Connor from Carolina. He's a 2nd/3rd tier FA who will lose his job to John Beason if he stays in Carolina. Hopefully we can get him with a reasonable contract to compete with Nate Irving for our starting role. Even if Irving gets the nod, we'll have a great backup on the roster.

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 01:26 PM
While I DESPERATELY hope to upgrade the position with someone who has some more innate talent, better hips and makes better and quicker reads, it's not outside the realm of reason to believe Joe Mays can make some positive leaps this off-season.

Especially under JDR

Jsteve01
02-15-2012, 03:31 PM
I love his attitude an work ethic. He just doesn't read well at all. I will be extremely surprised if Irving doesn't supplant him on the dc. I will agree with g that if he doesn't pan at MIKE then will might be a natural transition with his playmaking ability

Dzone
02-15-2012, 04:21 PM
When you rarely hear the announcers mention his name, he probably isnt very good.

TheReverend
02-16-2012, 10:26 PM
When you rarely hear the announcers mention his name, he probably isnt very good.

Well... he WAS our 3rd leading tackler and only played on nickel downs in a handful of games (and those comprise of 50+% of the defensive snaps)...

Superchop 7
02-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Carol......

You have to quit it.

Joe is average, we all know it.

Al Wilson.....he aint.

nice try.