PDA

View Full Version : Broncos May Use Franchise Tag on Prater

Ziggy
02-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Not since the 2002 season have the Broncos used the franchise tag. Place-kicker Jason Elam received a $1.24 million salary that year.

Ten years later, it wouldn't be surprising if the Broncos again tag a kicker. Among the Broncos' whopping 17 unrestricted free agents this offseason, Matt Prater is the strongest candidate for the franchise tag.

The projected salary for a franchised kicker this year is less than $2.6 million — down 19 percent from $3.176 million in 2011.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19958889

Prater is well worth 2.6 million/year. He's money late in games, and brings the extra dimension of booming kickoffs out of the endzone on a regular basis. Ideally, the Broncos sign him to a long term contract. Either way, he's the most valuable free agent we have this season and a legitimate top 3 kicker in the league. Pay the man!

MileHighCrew
02-14-2012, 09:41 AM
not a bad choice, he has a great leg

BroncoNut
02-14-2012, 09:43 AM
not a bad thing at all. He is a great kicker

Northman
02-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Yea, just pay him. He's worth the price.

UnderArmour
02-14-2012, 10:26 AM
If we let him go into unrestricted free agency then Xanders and Elway need to be fired. It is unacceptable to let another team sign him when the franchise number for kickers is so low while this guy is easily a top 5 kicker in the NFL. Thanks to Prater, our coverage team got to rest at home because of his consistency in getting the ball to the 20. Also 59 and 51 yard field goals to tie and win games? Speaks for itself. Pay this man now or tag him so he can't get away. Anything else is a failure.

claymore
02-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Pay the man!!!

TXBRONC
02-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Yea, just pay him. He's worth the price.

Imo it's better to get some kind of long term deal done than to go through this again next year.

BORDERLINE
02-14-2012, 10:33 AM
i'm sure he will get paid. He's in the top 3 as far as i'm concerned. He will be a Bronco for many years to come.

BroncoNut
02-14-2012, 10:38 AM
if he is franchised, I am going to get a prater jersey

claymore
02-14-2012, 11:30 AM
if he is franchised, I am going to get a prater jersey

I have come to the realization that is the kiss of death for a Bronco.

BroncoNut
02-14-2012, 11:52 AM
I have come to the realization that is the kiss of death for a Bronco.

that's actually a very nice sentence.

claymore
02-14-2012, 12:48 PM
that's actually a very nice sentence.

Nut, Im feelin onery. I wish Csrex was here.

BroncoNut
02-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Nut, Im feelin onery. I wish Csrex was here.

man, I miss Cs. I often have the same thought. they outgrew me I guess. I've got a pretty boring few days ahead of me, could use some crex

claymore
02-14-2012, 12:56 PM
man, I miss Cs. I often have the same thought. they outgrew me I guess. I've got a pretty boring few days ahead of me, could use some crex

Yeah, I wish I could talk more shit about him. I know he is always lurking, and would probably come in and put me in my place though. Unlike some, he isnt a faggot.

BroncoNut
02-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I wish I could talk more shit about him. I know he is always lurking, and would probably come in and put me in my place though. Unlike some, he isnt a faggot.

nah, not a faggot. it was better when he was around. damn was he funny. I used to love serving him up

GEM
02-14-2012, 01:45 PM
We have cap room out the ying yang and we can't get a long term deal done with the freaking kicker? Really?

shank
02-14-2012, 02:46 PM
lock him down forever. eff tagging a kicker.

Ziggy
02-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Putting the tag on him doesn't mean that can't sign him. It may just mean that his agent wants to play the game for a while. We don't have enough talent on this team to need the franchise tag for anyone else this season anyways. Next season it will be Clady's turn.

GEM
02-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Haven't you seen the Godfather? You make him a deal he can't refuse. Then you give him the kiss of death and tell him to swim with the fish.

BroncoNut
02-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Haven't you seen the Godfather? You make him a deal he can't refuse. Then you give him the kiss of death and tell him to swim with the fish.

I bought that movie and tried watching it. I fell asleep

GEM
02-14-2012, 03:05 PM
I bought that movie and tried watching it. I fell asleep

I could say something here, but will refrain. :D

BroncoNut
02-14-2012, 03:07 PM

say it. do it GEM

i get bored watching movies sometimes. I am sure it's every bit as good as everyone says. I'll try it again

Canmore
02-14-2012, 03:07 PM

Why? Turning over a new leaf?

BroncoNut
02-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Why? Turning over a new leaf?

no shit. don't ever remember GEM being short on a stinging response

GEM
02-14-2012, 03:29 PM
:shocked: I shall have to settle down on my feigned internet anger. You all take me far too seriously. :lol:

iLands
02-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Why would we tag Prater over Bunkley?

Just curious.

BroncoNut
02-14-2012, 03:35 PM
:shocked: I shall have to settle down on my feigned internet anger. You all take me far too seriously. :lol:

no we don't GEM. you are a bitch. it's nothing to be ashamed of.

BroncoNut
02-14-2012, 03:36 PM

Just curious.

well, it's easier to tag a kicker I would think. Bunkley is bigger and might put up some resistance.

WARHORSE
02-14-2012, 04:07 PM
:shocked:

paydamun

GEM
02-14-2012, 04:13 PM
no we don't GEM. you are a bitch. it's nothing to be ashamed of.

I am not. Really. I am feisty because that's what you all like. A less feisty Gem and you all would be unhappy.

VonSackemMiller
02-14-2012, 05:02 PM
just sign him long term. How hard is it to agree to terms with a kicker. Tag bunkley.

dogfish
02-14-2012, 05:19 PM

Just curious.

well. . . i'd LIKE to think it's because bunk's undersized for del rio's scheme, and we're going to sign a bigger one-tech like paul soliai, sione pouha or aubrayo franklin. . .

but, most likely it's just because we're too cheap to pay bunk that much, and they have their eye on another dumpster-divin' reclamation project to replace him. . .

TheReverend
02-15-2012, 07:00 PM
just sign him long term. How hard is it to agree to terms with a kicker. Tag bunkley.

I don't think keeping Bunkley on board will necessitate a tag.

pnbronco
02-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Just pay the man.....we need him!

Mike Klis tweeted that Elway said they don't want to tag him they just get a deal done. Couldn't agree more, just get it done and keep Prater on the team.

Superchop 7
02-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Its a friggin kicker......tell the clown its a 7 year deal for 11 million......5 million up front.

If he doesnt sign......no big deal.

whatever.

Ravage!!!
02-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Might be because the tag is cheaper than signing him to a long term deal + signing bonus. He's going to be getting a good contract anyway....signing him to a one year deal that he can't get out of, might be the simplest for the team to do. He's tagged, now what? He can't sit out, or he'll get tagged again.

Ravage!!!
02-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Prater is worth the average of the the top 5 kickers in teh NFL, while Bunkly is definitely NOT worth the average of the top DTs in the NFL.

Medford Bronco
02-18-2012, 12:56 PM
i'm sure he will get paid. He's in the top 3 as far as i'm concerned. He will be a Bronco for many years to come.

The next Jason Elam. Please keep him

**Just ask the Ravens how important a FG kicker is**

wayninja
02-19-2012, 01:02 AM
The next Jason Elam. Please keep him

**Just ask the Ravens how important a FG kicker is**

There's no need. Prater proved himself time and time again this year.

Chicago game FTW.

Lancane
02-19-2012, 03:32 AM
Prater, Fells and Bunkley are all probably key Broncos Free Agents looking at getting deals quickly. Denver hold the rights for Ball, Willis, Clark, McBean and Colquitt, and of the rest, those the Broncos' hold no rights to...only those three are likely vital. Fells will be re-signed because free agent tight ends are thin this year and the loss of Fells could damper the offense with two sophomores behind him on deck. Prater, due to obvious reasons and the same for Bunkley, not to mention we traded for Brodrick and it would be a waste to only get a year out of the deal. I saw that someone said Broderick is too small for Del Rio's scheme, Tyson Alualu is 6'3 304lbs., whereas Bunk is 6'2 306lbs., he's fine for Del Rio's defense. We'll probably see a mammoth defensive tackle or two added to the roster however.

BroncoNut
02-22-2012, 03:38 PM
better than a toe tag

Chef Zambini
02-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Its a friggin kicker......tell the clown its a 7 year deal for 11 million......5 million up front.

If he doesnt sign......no big deal.

whatever.c'mon now carl.
you know the kicker and punter are both big deals , especially when they suck!
we bronco fans have tasted both ends of that stick!

( I like the end stuck in honey. )

PRATER and COLQUITT are essentials for our conservative approach.
its why they call the game FOOTball.
sorry to intrude on your nirvanah.

Ravage!!!
02-24-2012, 12:51 PM
c'mon now carl.
you know the kicker and punter are both big deals , especially when they suck!
we bronco fans have tasted both ends of that stick!

( I like the end stuck in honey. )

PRATER and COLQUITT are essentials for our conservative approach.
its why they call the game FOOTball.
sorry to intrude on your nirvanah.

Not just for "conservative" approach. What team in the NFL doesn't want a top punter and kicker? Special teams are HUGE in the NFL considering how tight the parity is. Its more than just a want, its essential.

Think how many SUper Bowls Tom Brady has won without a top kicker.