PDA

View Full Version : Nate Irving could be in line to become the Broncos’ starting middle linebacker in 2012.

turftoad
02-13-2012, 12:15 PM
This is a good read from the Sporting News. Talks about the Broncos offseason plan.

"Starting middle linebacker Joe Mays is an unrestricted free agent. He might not have started at all in 2011 had there been a normal offseason; the lockout scuttled organized team activities, so third-round pick Nate Irving had no chance to adequately learn the defense. The Broncos like Irving's presence and potential. It would be no surprise if they give him the job and part with Mays".

"Tebow's offseason development is the primary story line; whether he can refine his mechanics and improve his accuracy will determine whether he's a long-term answer or a novelty act. On that, all the Broncos can do is wait, but there are other issues to address in the meantime".

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-02-12/denver-broncos-offseason-plan-tebows-development-not-the-only-priority?eadid=EL/SICOM&xid=si_nfl#ixzz1mHc8Fd7o

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-02-12/denver-broncos-offseason-plan-tebows-development-not-the-only-priority?eadid=EL/SICOM&xid=si_nfl#ixzz1mHbc5qsi

topscribe
02-13-2012, 12:23 PM
I really like Andrew Mason's insight.

He is what Woody Paige could be, were Woody not so full of himself.

But that's really good news about Irving. Dude's a player . . .

-----

BORDERLINE
02-13-2012, 12:35 PM
hopefully Irving can step up and be the player we would like him to be. But you would at least think he would have gotten some playing time if he was any good or anywhere close to being ready.

at running back I feel like Willis has earned the right to be the featured back and he still has some gas in the tank. Ball is a perfect 3 RB but what we need is a home run speed back like a sproles or jaquizz rodgers.

The Defensive Tackle position will likely be overlooked again. I agree with what the writer said about Bunks performance. But during passing plays he was non existent. We need a BULL RUSH the likes of SHU can bring in order to get our pass rush at optimum level.

Superchop 7
02-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Im glad they like Irving......

PAINTERDAVE
02-13-2012, 02:40 PM
hopefully Irving can step up and be the player we would like him to be. But you would at least think he would have gotten some playing time if he was any good or anywhere close to being ready.

at running back I feel like Willis has earned the right to be the featured back and he still has some gas in the tank. Ball is a perfect 3 RB but what we need is a home run speed back like a sproles or jaquizz rodgers.

The Defensive Tackle position will likely be overlooked again. I agree with what the writer said about Bunks performance. But during passing plays he was non existent. We need a BULL RUSH the likes of SHU can bring in order to get our pass rush at optimum level.

I see the other side of the coin..
he was a young guy..
NO OFF SEASON.
limited camp...
he just was not ready to jump in like Von did...
but neither did a LOT of the other rookies..

I wont write ANY of that last class off until I see what they can do this season.

TheReverend
02-13-2012, 02:41 PM
I'll just leave this here:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8981/natesuplex.gif

Ziggy
02-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Even if starting Irving is the plan, we still need some depth. I'd like to see Denver bring in at least one more guy that can play the Mike.

TheReverend
02-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Even if starting Irving is the plan, we still need some depth. I'd like to see Denver bring in at least one more guy that can play the Mike.

...Aren't Woodyard, Mays and Haggan ALL FAs?

Effectively leaving only 2nd year player Mike Mohammed as the only depth if we let them walk?

topscribe
02-13-2012, 02:48 PM

That's where I really like Connor. He would not only be a terrific backup,
but I believe he may very well be capable of competing for the starting job.

-----

Ziggy
02-13-2012, 03:20 PM
...Aren't Woodyard, Mays and Haggan ALL FAs?

Effectively leaving only 2nd year player Mike Mohammed as the only depth if we let them walk?

Yeah, the guy I'd actually like to see brought in for depth is Channing Crowder. He took the year off last season and is reportedly ready to play again. He was always a solid, but not spectacular MLB that could be had for cheap and he's only 28 years old. If Irving is thier guy, Crowder would give you an experienced veteran backup that you don't have to pay starting wages to get.

TXBRONC
02-13-2012, 05:35 PM
I see the other side of the coin..
he was a young guy..
NO OFF SEASON.
limited camp...
he just was not ready to jump in like Von did...
but neither did a LOT of the other rookies..

I wont write ANY of that last class off until I see what they can do this season.

I agree. If not having an off season was a big detriment to Tebow who was a 2nd year player then it stands to reason that a lot rookies all over the NFL would struggle.

rcsodak
02-13-2012, 05:48 PM
I agree. If not having an off season was a big detriment to Tebow who was a 2nd year player then it stands to reason that a lot rookies all over the NFL would struggle.
:tsk:
Tx.....really? Did you HAVE to?

:D

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
02-13-2012, 05:52 PM
:tsk:
Tx.....really? Did you HAVE to?

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Yes. Yes I did. :D

G_Money
02-14-2012, 12:32 AM
So...

Irving had no shot to ever learn the defense because of "no OTAs", but undrafted rookies and practice squad guys nailed it?

Uh huh. I love Irving, but I'm not buying that we're goin' to war next year with him at MLB, sight unseen.

We can blame the injury instead if we'd like, but until we refuse to add a MLB in FA I'm not gonna buy that Irving has been gifted with the starting gig at Mike in 2012. Calling the defense is a big responsibility, as is plugging running lanes as a skinny backer. If Nate's proven to them that he can do it, more power to him. He's a great kid with a load of talent, and I was stoked to get him.

I'll just be surprised if a guy who could not see the field in most games is suddenly out there as a 16 game starter from the first day of training camp. I really hope his game has come that far...and that he can be better than Mays if that's the case.

Because we don't need a MLB who's worse than Mays.

Honestly... I could see him at Will backing up (and then replacing) DJ once Woodyard goes more easily than I can see him as our 2012 starting MLB at this point. It'll be fun to find out.

~G

nevcraw
02-14-2012, 12:37 AM
ahhh the offseason... when every back up is one step away from stardom..

Hopefully Irvng is the guy, if not Burfict is the guy..

topscribe
02-14-2012, 12:39 AM
So...

Irving had no shot to ever learn the defense because of "no OTAs", but undrafted rookies and practice squad guys nailed it?

Uh huh. I love Irving, but I'm not buying that we're goin' to war next year with him at MLB, sight unseen.

We can blame the injury instead if we'd like, but until we refuse to add a MLB in FA I'm not gonna buy that Irving has been gifted with the starting gig at Mike in 2012. Calling the defense is a big responsibility, as is plugging running lanes as a skinny backer. If Nate's proven to them that he can do it, more power to him. He's a great kid with a load of talent, and I was stoked to get him.

I'll just be surprised if a guy who could not see the field in most games is suddenly out there as a 16 game starter from the first day of training camp. I really hope his game has come that far...and that he can be better than Mays if that's the case.

Honestly... I could see him at Will backing up (and then replacing) DJ once Woodyard goes more easily than I can see him as our 2012 starting MLB at this point. It'll be fun to find out.

~G

You haven't seen him, but did the coaches not see him every day of the
season? I would say they know far more about him than we do, wouldn't
you? I'm not saying he's necessarily the answer, but I am saying that it
would not seem he's totally "sight unseen."

But I did notice, G, that you have him playing Will, sight unseen . . .

-----

WARHORSE
02-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Theres so much unseen these days.............:tsk:

I HOPE the kid can come in and take over at MLB. I really liked his instincts in college and loved the way he closed holes immediately with great feel for the play. He can also intercept a pass......Denvers been missing some plays from the LBer positions when it comes to the passing game for YEARS.

I hope he can be what EFX obviously hope he can be.

turftoad
02-14-2012, 05:42 PM
So...

~G

Could happen "G". Here is one scouts take on him before the draft last year.

"Good sized, smart, tough, confident, high motor backer who played MLB for the Wolfpack, but is better suited for the strong side in a 4-3. Lost some burst and did not look as athletic after missing the 2009 season because of injuries sustained in a car accident".

Evidently he had injuries to his shoulder, lung, leg and ribs from the accident. Hopefully he is another year removed from that and healed up 100%.

CoachChaz
02-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Nate will find a spot somewhere on the field. I'm pretty confident in his desire

Jsteve01
02-14-2012, 07:29 PM
So...

~G

So you think Woodyard is gone? I like Nate at Will as well if he doesn't work out at Mike. His ability to makes plays behind the los is scary when you think about Von on the other side.