PDA

View Full Version : Building a Giant(s) Defense in Denver

DenBronx
02-13-2012, 12:51 AM
The Broncos were AFC West division winners, and won a playoff game at home this season. However, they are not at the level to compete for a Super Bowl just yet. While some foolishly think a QB is their biggest need, I believe their main focus needs to be constructing a Super Bowl caliber defense. Some pieces are in place, some pieces must be kept in free agency, and some pieces are just flat out missing. In order for the Broncos to build a defense like the Giants here’s a list of what I think they must do at each position.

Defensive End:

The Broncos have two Unrestricted Free Agents at this position, Jason Hunter and Derrick Harvey. I like Hunter’s game, versatility, and his high motor. The Broncos should be able to keep him around for a good price in 2012. Harvey was a low risk/high reward move the Broncos made in 2011 but it didn’t pay off. Time to move on and look elsewhere.

Through the draft: Give me guys like Quinton Coples (North Carolina) in the first- or Trevor Guyton (California) in the third-round.

Through Free Agency: Matt Roth (Jacksonville) makes a lot of sense because of his relationship with new Defensive Coordinator Jack Del Rio. The biggest name on the market is Mario Williams (Houston), but that seems a little out of reach for the Broncos.

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://denverssportsstation.com/cecillammey

BORDERLINE
02-13-2012, 01:51 AM
The Giants defense is good don't get me wrong. But they are not the top defense in the NFL. The key to the Giants success this year IMO was.

1.Peaking at the right time
2. Experience
3. Who they played

the last one was hard to include for me because since they did beat the PACK/49ers/Pats they played the best of the best no denying that. But they never where challenged by a top running game. And to me that offsets a speed pash rush. When you have big BULLS pushing you off the ball the game changes. I would like to see how we DO against that NYG pass rush. Have Franklin man-handle Tuck or JPP in the running game

Shananahan
02-13-2012, 02:12 AM
I think it's a simplification of the Giants' defense to assume all of its success is due to three guys. They've got some heady, talented safeties and some linebackers that make big plays. They're one of the few teams in the league that can almost match up with anybody defensively.

I realize a large portion of the credit goes to Tuck, Kiwi and JPP, but simply finding three guys who are great at rushing the passer is not going to give you a great defense. Even if it did, good luck finding three guys like that.

DenBronx
02-13-2012, 08:50 PM
The Giants defense is good don't get me wrong. But they are not the top defense in the NFL. The key to the Giants success this year IMO was.

1.Peaking at the right time
2. Experience
3. Who they played

the last one was hard to include for me because since they did beat the PACK/49ers/Pats they played the best of the best no denying that. But they never where challenged by a top running game. And to me that offsets a speed pash rush. When you have big BULLS pushing you off the ball the game changes. I would like to see how we DO against that NYG pass rush. Have Franklin man-handle Tuck or JPP in the running game

Well they might not be the #1 defense but talent wise those guys are really good. I agree with peaking at the right time, they got hot when it was needed most and carried it through the playoffs. No one wanted to play them.

As for #3, who they played. To me, whether or not you were a top 3 defense you still have to beat the best teams when needed most. The 49ers had a very solid running team, while the Pats and The Pack had solid passing teams. They were able to adjust to any style offense and I think that's what made them scary as a defense. Were they completely 2000 Ravens shut you down defense? No, they wernt but they damn sure as hell made QBs make mistakes and I think that's what our defense already is showing signs of against average teams. Maybe not the lethal passing teams yet but I think with some key pieces in place we could be just as good as the Giants defense.