PDA

View Full Version : Grammy's

MOtorboat
02-12-2012, 08:29 PM
So I said I wouldn't watch them last night and here I am...

Chris Brown is terrible. I mean terrible. How is this crap popular?

CoachChaz
02-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Thats my problem with the Grammy's. I listen to metal, blues and REAL country music.

If not for my kids and mainstream media, id have no clue who most of these no talent hacks are

Thnikkaman
02-12-2012, 10:16 PM
so the grammies are tonight? the music those awards celebrate is a joke.

MOtorboat
02-12-2012, 10:22 PM
so the grammies are tonight? the music those awards celebrate is a joke.

Some of it is crap, sure, but they are honoring Glen Campbell right now. That's some fine music, right there...

aberdien
02-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Mostly a joke, and who even gives a **** about them really. Bon Iver just won though and he's a cool dude. Taylor Swift's perfomance was nice as well.

Thnikkaman
02-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Occasionally, something truly innovative and good gets awarded, and they do a good job usually with the lifetime awards, but 90% of modern popular music is just crap.

Kapaibro
02-12-2012, 10:37 PM
And Adele. She is awesome

aberdien
02-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I think there's some good music there. But alot of it just has no depth and won't be remembered in 5 years. And that's okay. Music doesn't always have to have depth and be super meaningful. Like i'm cool with listening to a Bruno Mars song. Not my favorite, but it's enjoyable to listen to a handful of times in my life.

aberdien
02-12-2012, 10:39 PM
But it's mostly a shitty popularity contest.

Thnikkaman
02-12-2012, 10:41 PM

She's pretty sexy too.

aberdien
02-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Jennifer Hudson, good god damn.

MOtorboat
02-12-2012, 10:44 PM

A breath or fresh air in the pop world. The woman can sing, and she's grounded.

I saw the 60 minutes interview before hand.

MOtorboat
02-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Jennifer Hudson, good god damn.

I was about to ask who that was. A good tribute.

Doesn't change my feelings about Houston, as a person, but a good tribute.

:patientlywaitingmccartneysingingbeatlessongs:

aberdien
02-12-2012, 10:48 PM
I was about to ask who that was. A good tribute.

Doesn't change my feelings about Houston, as a person, but a good tribute.

:patientlywaitingmccartneysingingbeatlessongs:

McCartney should only ever sing Beatles songs.

MOtorboat
02-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Not really being "in touch" with popular music I didn't know exactly who Bruno Mars was before tonight.

He's kind of a throwback and I can respect that.

MOtorboat
02-12-2012, 10:50 PM
McCartney should only ever sing Beatles songs.

His Wings era songs are good stuff, too. Band on the Run is a fantastic song and so is Live and Let Die.

Thnikkaman
02-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Not really being "in touch" with popular music I didn't know exactly who Bruno Mars was before tonight.

He's kind of a throwback and I can respect that.

You should check out Mayer Hawthorne then.

aberdien
02-12-2012, 10:53 PM
His Wings era songs are good stuff, too. Band on the Run is a fantastic song and so is Live and Let Die.

Oh yeah, I take that back. Band on the Run is one of the best songs ever. But I don't like his new music really, except for Dance Tonight. That's a great song.

MOtorboat
You should check out Mayer Hawthorne then.

Fitz and the Tantrums.

MOtorboat
Oh yeah, I take that back. Band on the Run is one of the best songs ever. But I don't like his new music really, except for Dance Tonight. That's a great song.

Live and Let Die is the best movie theme song ever.

aberdien
This shit sucks.

aberdien
02-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Live and Let Die is the best movie theme song ever.

Meh. I'm not sure about that one. I think it's second of the Bond themes behind Nobody Does It Better.

MOtorboat
02-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Dave Grohl is the most talented musician of my generation, and it completely goes unheralded.

Seriously, he was the drummer for the most influential band of the 90s and has turned around and become the lead singer, lead songwriter and lead guitarist of arguably the greatest rock band of the last 20 years.

Dude's a genius, and I'm not sure he gets his due.

MOtorboat
02-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Two of Us, off of Let It Be is my most favourite Beatles song...btw.

aberdien
02-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Dave Grohl is the most talented musician of my generation, and it completely goes unheralded.

Seriously, he was the drummer for the most influential band of the 90s and has turned around and become the lead singer, lead songwriter and lead guitarist of arguably the greatest rock band of the last 20 years.

I completely disagree. But I can understand and respect that view. I can agree with you that he's one of the last true "rock stars" and is extremely talented and has been able to maintain popularity without becoming a "sell out" and all in all is just a total badass. But shit, there've been tons of talented musicians in the last 20 years so to even begin to consider all of those people...I don't even think I could compile a terse enough list.

But Foo Fighters are definitely the definitive, straightforward modern rock band of the last 20 years. Them and RHCP are the big two, although the latter are older.

aberdien
02-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Two of Us, off of Let It Be is my most favourite Beatles song...btw.

Dude, that's one of my favorites. Is Paul playing it?

Let It Be is the most underappreciated Beatles album, it saddens me. It's so raw and delicious. Sgt Peppers is overrated.

Thnikkaman
02-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Fitz and the Tantrums.

Good stuff there. I'll have to check out more of them.

MOtorboat
02-12-2012, 11:14 PM
I completely disagree. But I can understand and respect that view. I can agree with you that he's one of the last true "rock stars" and is extremely talented and has been able to maintain popularity without becoming a "sell out" and all in all is just a total badass. But shit, there've been tons of talented musicians in the last 20 years so to even begin to consider all of those people...I don't even think I could compile a terse enough list.

But Foo Fighters are definitely the definitive, straightforward modern rock band of the last 20 years. Them and RHCP are the big two, although the latter are older.

Jack White is the other to come to mind. Dude is unbelievably talented and transcendent.

Watch It Might Get Loud, documentary with White, Jimmy Page and The Edge. Unbelievable if you love guitar.

Thnikkaman
02-12-2012, 11:15 PM

I love Dave Grohl, and the Foo Fighters. And I'm not a big fan of that type of music.

MOtorboat
02-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Good stuff there. I'll have to check out more of them.

Moneygrabber is the best original song I've heard in maybe five or six years. Brilliant.

aberdien
02-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Jack White is the other to come to mind. Dude is unbelievably talented and transcendent.

Watch It Might Get Loud, documentary with White, Jimmy Page and The Edge. Unbelievable if you love guitar.

Aw shit, I completely forgot about Jack White. He's more talented than Dave Grohl. I hope his solo stuff turns out great. That was a really good documentary as well, I was very bothered by the fact that Jimmy Page looked 100% like an asian.

But Jack White is probably my #1 music influence.

aberdien
02-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Dave Grohl should be playing like 10 times more than the other guys.

Dapper Dan
02-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Didn't watch at all. I looked at the red carpet photos. Wow, what the heck are people wearing now? It's like there's no attempt to look classy. It's like a costume party.

sneakers
02-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Taylor Swift looks like a greyhound.