PDA

View Full Version : Mario Williams and Cortland Finnegan

broncobryce
02-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Both free agents. I would love to get one or both for this defense.

Houston plays a 3-4 so I don't think he will be back there, and rumors are Finnegan is history.

Your thoughts? Or would you rather have Brent Grimes?

Here are the top 50 free agents from CBS

http://www.cbssports.com/story/17188691/top-50-free-agents-former-top-pick-williams-is-top-player-on-open-market?ttag=gen10_on_all_fb_na_txt_0001

slim
02-11-2012, 01:52 PM
No to Finnegan.

I would love to see Mario here, but I doubt they will spend that kind of money.

Carl Nicks, please.

broncobryce
02-11-2012, 01:55 PM
No to Finnegan.

I would love to see Mario here, but I doubt they will spend that kind of money.

Carl Nicks, please.

I admit I hate Finnegan, but he's the type of guy you hate on the other team, love on your team (as far as his style).
Or are you talking about his skill in general?

Carl Nicks would be great, we could move Zane to Suckstein's position. O-lineman should love to come here because we run the ball so much.
We shall see.

slim
02-11-2012, 02:01 PM
I admit I hate Finnegan, but he's the type of guy you hate on the other team, love on your team (as far as his style).
Or are you talking about his skill in general?

Carl Nicks would be great, we could move Zane to Suckstein's position. O-lineman should love to come here because we run the ball so much.
We shall see.

Both, I don't like him and I also think he is overrated. I would rather spend the money on Brandon Carr.

I agree about Beadles. He would make a good back up/swing type player. Solid depth.

DenBronx
02-11-2012, 02:17 PM
I don't care what people say, yes to Cortland Finnegan. Alot of Bronco fans dont like him mainly because of his run in with Orton. I for one don't care. Cortland is a very physical DB and WRs HATE HIM, see Andre Johnson. He's not a ball hawk like Asante Samuel but he's physical enough to create plays for the rest of the defense. IMO this is what Champ needs most, a guy like him on the other end.

As for Super Mario, yes of course! But at what cost? Two things we must look at though. First, Ayers is finally playing very very good and Dumervil is healthy. Could we trade one of them or would we keep them all in rotation? Second, what about other guys like Osi Umeynora? Would one of these guys come at a better price?

DenBronx
02-11-2012, 02:19 PM
My first choice would be Tyvon Branch from Oakland. He is young and has alot of potential. He is a free agent Safety and this is the position I think we need help the most.

TheReverend
02-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Houston's 3-4 (more accurately Bum Phillip's single gap 3-4) is identical to a 4-3 under front. Mario is playing more of a Whip end position than a linebacker in it.

If you want to cite a reason that Houston may let Mario walk, it would be from the emergence of Brooks Reed and Arian Foster hitting FA at the same time as opposed to any imagined lack of "fit" (also: Mario was straight beasting 2011 before injury)

BORDERLINE
02-11-2012, 03:39 PM
well if the price is right on Williams then why not. But as far as Finnegan, I don't know. I guess if he came really cheap but this dude is a PUNK. I chuckled when Andre Johnson gave him that one two upper cut.

HammeredOut
02-11-2012, 04:04 PM
I said Cortland a while back... I don't care if he trash talks on the field... He is the best available CB. The best bump coverage guy anyways.. He plays the line like a LB.

dogfish
02-11-2012, 04:13 PM
finnegan is a head case who left titans camp last year without permission for "personal reasons" that were never explained afterwards as far as i know. . . not to mention openly stating that he wants to be the dirtiest player in the league. . . dude's head isn't screwed on right-- anyone that gives him big money is asking for trouble. . .

too many other good corners available to go after that little turd. . .

HammeredOut
02-11-2012, 04:22 PM
finnegan is a head case who left titans camp last year without permission for "personal reasons" that were never explained afterwards as far as i know. . . not to mention openly stating that he wants to be the dirtiest player in the league. . . dude's head isn't screwed on right-- anyone that gives him big money is asking for trouble. . .

too many other good corners available to go after that little turd. . .

Im not worried about training camp... Aside, the same happened with Chris Johnson, so would he be considered a Head Case aswell.. Rodney Harrison was considered the dirtiest player in the league, but he doesnt care for our opinions on being dirty, he has his ears plugged with those Superbowl Rings.

We won't get Brett Grimes, i believe his agent will find him a large contract in Detroit, like others have said in the past..

OrangeHoof
02-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Mario will be very expensive and that would be the only reason the Texans don't keep him. Not sure the Broncos don't need the help elsewhere, such as CB and TE.

Ziggy
02-11-2012, 05:22 PM
For the price it will take to bring Mario Williams in, the Broncos could get a combo like Brent Grimes and Tulloch/Lofton and fill 2 needs with the same money. Ayers also played well towards that last half of the season. It was his first year back at DE. He's solid enough to keep there to develop.

Canmore
02-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Mario will be very expensive and that would be the only reason the Texans don't keep him. Not sure the Broncos don't need the help elsewhere, such as CB and TE.

We have edge rushers, Miller and Doom. We need someone to collapse the pocket. Someone who will present a problem for quarterbacks who have been able to just step up in the pocket and pick us apart.

Timmy!
02-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Pass on both. Out of that top 40 list (with resigning bunk) give me:

Nicks
Goldson
Porter/Ross
Meachem

Not on list:
Dan Connor

TXBRONC
02-11-2012, 05:44 PM
No to Finnegan for the reasons Dog said and no to Williams because of cost and the fact we have edge rushers that can get the job done.

BroncoBowlby 88
02-11-2012, 05:56 PM
I think Porter and Nicks are the only ones that make any sense. Porter can take goodmans spot and we can pick up a young CB later in the draft and let him learn from the best (champ). Nicks is more a pipe dream because I think his asking price is going to be to high, but he would be great to have on the team, another tough guy right in the center of the line. And Zane would be a good rotational guy. I hope we follow the same system as last year, treat the free agent market as a tool to fill roster spots and find all the talent in the draft.

VonSackemMiller
02-12-2012, 05:35 AM
so who do yyou get rid of if you sign mario? And anybody that wouldnt take coetlan finnegan is wild. But still id take jenkings at 25.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Of those guys, I'd like Jason Jones (to play 3 technique), Tracy Porter/Brent Grimes, Robert Meachem, and Dan Connor (who I didn't see listed).

I know we might get one or two decent second or third tier guys, so it's unrealistic to think we'll get any of them, but one can hope.

DenBronx
02-12-2012, 05:26 PM
so who do yyou get rid of if you sign mario? And anybody that wouldnt take coetlan finnegan is wild. But still id take jenkings at 25.

I would go with Ayers here. If the plan is indeed to get Super Mario then I think we have to deal Ayers.

Also, DJ is a possibility if we keep Woody and draft Burfuct in round 1.

VonSackemMiller
02-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Get rid of the young cat whose just coming into his own? Not a fan of that.

topscribe
02-12-2012, 05:42 PM
I don't care what people say, yes to Cortland Finnegan. Alot of Bronco fans dont like him mainly because of his run in with Orton. I for one don't care. Cortland is a very physical DB and WRs HATE HIM, see Andre Johnson. He's not a ball hawk like Asante Samuel but he's physical enough to create plays for the rest of the defense. IMO this is what Champ needs most, a guy like him on the other end.

As for Super Mario, yes of course! But at what cost? Two things we must look at though. First, Ayers is finally playing very very good and Dumervil is healthy. Could we trade one of them or would we keep them all in rotation? Second, what about other guys like Osi Umeynora? Would one of these guys come at a better price?

Romanowski was an SOB, right? He even punched a coach, for pity's sake!
Does anybody remember what he did for the Broncos when he was here?
It's good to have an SOB or two on the defense. Yes to Finnegan . . .

-----

broncobryce
02-12-2012, 06:55 PM

-----

This. Loved Romo when he played here.

UnderArmour
02-12-2012, 07:01 PM
I don't care if we get Finnegan or not but I want his buddy Michael Griffin. We need a replacement for Dawkins at safety and this guy is used to going against Peyton Manning. Hopefully, should be able to have our pick of mid-tier defensive free agents this year because of our success last year.

OrangeHoof
02-12-2012, 07:18 PM
I would go with Ayers here. If the plan is indeed to get Super Mario then I think we have to deal Ayers.

If you get Mario, the person you hae to trade is Dumervil because his contract is huge. Just as I think Mario is a better 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB, I think Doom is a better 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE. Granted, in more and more defensive schemes, the roles are interchangeable.

DenBronx
02-12-2012, 09:23 PM

-----

Top, yes he was! I know he was very edgy and could explode at any moment but he struck fear in the offense. I really miss Romo! A guy like that in the middle just does something to the whole defense.

Cortland isnt as mean as Romo but he does get into the heads of WRs. Its almost like a Dennis Rodman effect. Remember what Rodman did to Malone and Shaq? Cortland kind of does the same thing. He doesnt have any off fields problems and actually is very involved in charity work. Champ Bailey and Chris Harris might really benifit from having him on the team.

1 or 2 is ok but when you got 5 or 6 then things might get kinda crazy.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-12-2012, 10:37 PM
I really like the idea of Mario and Ayers on 1st and 2nd down and Mario, Doom and Elvis on passing downs.

TXBRONC
02-13-2012, 10:43 AM
I really like the idea of Mario and Ayers on 1st and 2nd down and Mario, Doom and Elvis on passing downs.

I think Williams will be out of their price range. It's not that they couldn't afford him but my guess is they wont want to pay the kind of money it's going to take to bring him in.

broncobryce
02-13-2012, 11:10 AM
I think Williams will be out of their price range. It's not that they couldn't afford him but my guess is they wont want to pay the kind of money it's going to take to bring him in.
You're probably right since we are more set at DE than other spots.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
02-13-2012, 05:44 PM
You're probably right since we are more set at DE than other spots.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

I wouldn't have problem drafting another pass rushing defensive end if he's the he's the bpa.

Canmore
02-13-2012, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't have problem drafting another pass rushing defensive end if he's the he's the bpa.

We have edge rushers, I want to see somebody that can collapse the pocket.

nj10
02-18-2012, 05:42 PM
So I read this thread to make sure no one mentioned it already...But does no one remember Cortland Finnegan punching Chris Kuper in the side of the head when his helmet came off during a play 2 years ago? Nobody sees how this could be a locker room issue? Kuper is a leader on this team and you want to bring in a dirty player whom one of our team leaders has beef with for a cheap shot? Not the best idea I've heard...

Shananahan
02-18-2012, 05:54 PM
I really miss Romo! A guy like that in the middle just does something to the whole defense.
In the middle?

DenBronx
02-18-2012, 06:29 PM
In the middle?

Romo could play both OLB and ILB. However, Shanahan utilized him more as a SLB because Romo could shut down the run, was physical at the point of attack, blowing ups screens, smothered tight ends and wasn't so much a pass rushing LB. He was more physical but yeah he has played in the middle before. In fact on draft day he was prepared to play either position for any team.

Shananahan
02-18-2012, 06:48 PM
When did he ever start and play as a middle linebacker? In all his years with the 49ers, Philly and Denver he's always listed as playing the outside.

topscribe
02-18-2012, 06:56 PM
When did he ever start and play as a middle linebacker? In all his years with the 49ers, Philly and Denver he's always listed as playing the outside.

Correct. He played mostly Sam while he was here, but as DenBronx pointed out, he could fill in at MLB.

-----

Lancane
02-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Mario Williams is one of the coveted defensive lineman of Free Agency and he'll be making more money then Denver will likely want to dish out for any singular player. Finnegan is slightly different, he's not a top flight 'shutdown' corner and he knows this, he'll get a nice contract but he'll not be looking at top dollar IMHO.

And I wouldn't be against the addition of Finnegan, though I think Denver is going to give a serious look at Brandon Carr and even at Dwight Lowery.

Michael Bush (OAK), Jason Snelling (ATL), Robert Meachem (NO), Harry Douglas (ATL), Mackenzy Bernadeau (CAR), Todd McClure (ATL), Jeremy Mincey (JAC), Kelly Gregg (KC), Aubrayo Franklin (NO), Dan Connor (CAR), Ricky Brown (OAK), Brandon Carr (KC), Dwight Lowery (JAC), Tyvon Branch (OAK) and Jake Delhomme (HOU) are some of the names we'll hear mixed in with Denver. I wouldn't be surprised if Vincent Jackson is rumored in the mix as well, though San Diego might place the franchise tag on him and if so, he's out of the mix.

Shananahan
02-18-2012, 08:59 PM
I don't want Vincent Jackson at all, but several of those other guys would be great additions. Michael Bush is right near the top of my wanted list.

Lancane
02-18-2012, 09:14 PM
I don't want Vincent Jackson at all, but several of those other guys would be great additions. Michael Bush is right near the top of my wanted list.

I think Vincent Jackson is going to be in the mix because he's a local boy who grew up here, is on the outs with San Diego a rival team and because he is a more sure handed receiver then we currently have and could be a safety blanket for Tebow. With that said, I doubt it will happen, we're more likely to be looking at Harry Douglas from Atlanta who is a capable number two receiver and knows Brian Xanders.

As to the rest of my list, they're are guys with ties in some fashion to the team, all viable prospects and mostly second and a couple third tier free agents.

Magnificent Seven
02-18-2012, 09:16 PM
DL Mario Williams & CB Stanford Routt would be awesome fit for Broncos.

nj10
02-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Mario Williams is one of the coveted defensive lineman of Free Agency and he'll be making more money then Denver will likely want to dish out for any singular player. Finnegan is slightly different, he's not a top flight 'shutdown' corner and he knows this, he'll get a nice contract but he'll not be looking at top dollar IMHO.

And I wouldn't be against the addition of Finnegan, though I think Denver is going to give a serious look at Brandon Carr and even at Dwight Lowery.

Michael Bush (OAK), Jason Snelling (ATL), Robert Meachem (NO), Harry Douglas (ATL), Mackenzy Bernadeau (CAR), Todd McClure (ATL), Jeremy Mincey (JAC), Kelly Gregg (KC), Aubrayo Franklin (NO), Dan Connor (CAR), Ricky Brown (OAK), Brandon Carr (KC), Dwight Lowery (JAC), Tyvon Branch (OAK) and Jake Delhomme (HOU) are some of the names we'll hear mixed in with Denver. I wouldn't be surprised if Vincent Jackson is rumored in the mix as well, though San Diego might place the franchise tag on him and if so, he's out of the mix.

You forgot Peyton Hillis. Hahaha :pray:

pipes
02-18-2012, 11:24 PM
I think Vincent Jackson is going to be in the mix because he's a local boy who grew up here, is on the outs with San Diego a rival team and because he is a more sure handed receiver then we currently have and could be a safety blanket for Tebow. With that said, I doubt it will happen, we're more likely to be looking at Harry Douglas from Atlanta who is a capable number two receiver and knows Brian Xanders.

As to the rest of my list, they're are guys with ties in some fashion to the team, all viable prospects and mostly second and a couple third tier free agents.

Brandon Carr is who I really want Denver to sign.
-Especially if that means Goodman is gone.
In that case, +1 minus 1 equals 2 positives!

Also, Jackson's route tree consists of hitches and go routes.
Denver's passing offense consisted of all go routes by wr's....
Sounds like a good marriage to me!

I personally don't like VJ's fit with this team.

DenBronx
02-18-2012, 11:30 PM

Good mix of FAs Lancane. I don't want to see us get into contract trouble but I won't complain if we get Super Mario.

C. Finnegans contract should be a very reasonable one. He just has alot of grit and has been very solid as a DB. He won't have the impact a John Lynch or Brian Dawkins had but I think getting him will cause Bailey to play to his full potential.

I still hope we take a serious look at Tyvon Branch. Oakland is in serious cap trouble and won't be able to keep him. Lets not let Dennis Allen and chokeland have him. Getting Tyvon and Finnegan would really be huge for our defense.

Meachem and maybe Bush on a 2 year deal.

DenBronx
02-18-2012, 11:32 PM
If we signed Mario then I'm thinking that would only be because we traded either Elvis or Ayers.

I would be ok with Goodman going bye bye. He made a few key plays but wasnt consistant enough.