PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' need for speed on defense remains a priority

Denver Native (Carol)
02-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Welcome back and today's question comes from Ted Shih:

Q: You wrote that the Broncos have sought big, powerful players on defense as well as small, quick players on defense. So, where are (the Broncos) now?

A: Ted, part of the difficulty with the Broncos changing defensive coordinators in each of the past seven years, including heading into the 2012 season after Dennis Allen was hired as the Oakland Raiders' head coach, is the effect it has had on roster.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19938616

topscribe
02-11-2012, 12:13 PM
That's where I come to a failure to understand: D.J. is fast. Von is faster
than many safeties. Woodyard is fast. Mays is not fast. Nor can Mays
tackle. D.J. can tackle . . . well, better than Mays, even if he's not "super"
at it. So why was Mays starting and Woodyard on the bench?

When D.J. played MLB, he was a compentent one, if not a superstar there.
That in itself is an upgrade over Mays. And Woodyard has done well when
he's had to play Will. So why not slide D.J. over to MLB and let Woodyard
start at Will?

Then they would have speed. And then some, at least at LB.

IMHO.

-----

TheReverend
02-11-2012, 12:14 PM
It was a good read but the players we'll be looking for are pretty transcendent of scheme and system.

We need roughly 2 corners with prototypical speed, size and skills, a penetrating UT type and a MLB that can excel in coverage. Hardly system specific needs unless you're a cover 2 team looking for corners or a base 2 gap team from both DTs

TheReverend
02-11-2012, 12:15 PM
That's where I come to a failure to understand: D.J. is fast. Von is faster
than many safeties. Woodyard is fast. Mays is not fast. Nor can Mays
tackle. D.J. can tackle . . . well, better than Mays, even if he's not "super"
at it. So why was Mays starting and Woodyard on the bench?

When D.J. played MLB, he was a compentent one, if not a superstar there.
That in itself is an upgrade over Mays. And Woodyard has done well when
he's had to play Will. So why not slide D.J. over to MLB and let Woodyard
start at Will?

Then they would have speed. And then some.

IMHO.

-----

Would still have pretty similar deficiencies as Woodyard is, despite the speed and undersized frame, unfortunately a liability in coverage.

topscribe
02-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Would still have pretty similar deficiencies as Woodyard is, despite the speed and undersized frame, unfortunately a liability in coverage.

In other words, the same deficiencies as Mays has, only not in the middle and with far more speed?

-----

MOtorboat
02-11-2012, 12:17 PM
A more capable middle linebacker is pretty important next year. I still have hope for Irving, but if you cold find a stud in the draft it would make this team better.

topscribe
02-11-2012, 12:21 PM
A more capable middle linebacker is pretty important next year. I still have hope for Irving, but if you cold find a stud in the draft it would make this team better.

Definitely. My hopes, too. I was referring mainly to what they might have done last year . . .

-----

TheReverend
02-11-2012, 12:21 PM
In other words, the same deficiencies as Mays has, only not in the middle and with far more speed?

-----

Haha correct!

But the system we played last year (single gaps across the front 7) creates a situation on MANY downs where:

Bunkley crashes a gap instead of playing a read front over the center where he diagnoses the play and then takes the corresponding A-gap (the latter is more standard)

In turn, Mays crashes the other A-gap instead of making quick key reads.

This didn't take place every down, but it was VERY regular and it demands someone of Mays size, while minimizing the value of an effective MLB in reads, instincts and speed.

Basically, I expect us to play the same style next season unless we land a superior MLB than Mays or Woodyard with a DJ shift could provide. Then again, JDR has excelled at getting the most from his LBs, so maybe we will see some more "flow to the ball" from all LB spots.

topscribe
02-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Haha correct!

But the system we played last year (single gaps across the front 7) creates a situation on MANY downs where:

Bunkley crashes a gap instead of playing a read front over the center where he diagnoses the play and then takes the corresponding A-gap (the latter is more standard)

In turn, Mays crashes the other A-gap instead of making quick key reads.

This didn't take place every down, but it was VERY regular and it demands someone of Mays size, while minimizing the value of an effective MLB in reads, instincts and speed.

Basically, I expect us to play the same style next season unless we land a superior MLB than Mays or Woodyard with a DJ shift could provide. Then again, JDR has excelled at getting the most from his LBs, so maybe we will see some more "flow to the ball" from all LB spots.

Yes, I agree, TR, IF Mays would have played his gap more often. But he
just didn't seem to understand there was a place for him to be, and he
was so often caught out of it. And even when he was there, he didn't
seem to grasp that his arms were there for wrapping up! That is why he
missed 21 (count 'em) tackles last year.

Many think D.J. too small for the position. But he is 240 lbs. And we have
seen some of his head-on collisions. How many times did he go backwards?
No, I just think Mays should have been relegated to the bench, in any way
they could have gotten him there . . .

-----

TheReverend
02-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Yes, I agree, TR, IF Mays would have played his gap more often. But he
just didn't seem to understand there was a place for him to be, and he
was so often caught out of it. And even when he was there, he didn't
seem to grasp that his arms were there for wrapping up! That is why he
missed 21 (count 'em) tackles last year.

Many think D.J. too small for the position. But he is 240 lbs. And we have
seen some of his head-on collisions. How many times did he go backwards?
No, I just think Mays should have been relegated to the bench, in any way
they could have gotten him there . . .

-----

I agree Mays has some significant limitations and the position needs to be upgraded sooner than later, but I think a lot of his "whiff" reputation is actually indicative of what I described in the previous post about him crashing a gap instead of reading the play and flowing to the ball.

And DJ is pretty mentally limited and I'd rather never see him in the middle again. Ever. Never ever. :)

topscribe
02-11-2012, 12:30 PM
I agree Mays has some significant limitations and the position needs to be upgraded sooner than later, but I think a lot of his "whiff" reputation is actually indicative of what I described in the previous post about him crashing a gap instead of reading the play and flowing to the ball.

And DJ is pretty mentally limited and I'd rather never see him in the middle again. Ever. Never ever. :)

Well, it's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

There's always a first time . . . :coffee:

:D

-----

spikerman
02-11-2012, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't want to value speed over size at DT. We've seen enough of the defense getting blown off the ball the past few years in Denver. Go big up front and fast in the back seven.

TheReverend
02-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Well, it's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

There's always a first time . . . :coffee:

:D

-----

Haha! If CB weren't in such dire need of renovation I'd totally be all for going after Kuechly full throttle.

As is, I'd rather sign Danny Connor and get a heady player that can diagnose plays, dominate in traffic and beat blockers with leverage. Poz beasted out for Jax and JDR this past season, lets get him another PSU LBer that also has experience with Fox and field a strong LB unit for once since Al broke in 2006.

bigjara
02-11-2012, 05:38 PM
I'd say that the need for speed on offense is more important. Tebow showed what he could do at Florida when he has a Percy Marvin type player and speed receivers. Heck even Aaron Hernandez is fast for a Tight End. Get some speed players and this offense will open up.

Ziggy
02-11-2012, 05:55 PM
The offense does need speed in a bad way. This defense needs a MLB that can get to the ball carrier consistently and make the tackle. We also need an UT that can be disruptive. Right now our pressure on the passer is solely coming from the edges. You can't be an elite defense without having some pressure coming from the middle, or at least being able to collapse the pocket at times. If the Broncos can't bring Bunk back, NT is a huge need as well. There are 2 stud NT's in this draft that fit the bill. It would cost the Broncos thier first round pick, but both can be a force in the middle.

Canmore
02-11-2012, 06:04 PM
The offense does need speed in a bad way. This defense needs a MLB that can get to the ball carrier consistently and make the tackle. We also need an UT that can be disruptive. Right now our pressure on the passer is solely coming from the edges. You can't be an elite defense without having some pressure coming from the middle, or at least being able to collapse the pocket at times. If the Broncos can't bring Bunk back, NT is a huge need as well. There are 2 stud NT's in this draft that fit the bill. It would cost the Broncos their first round pick, but both can be a force in the middle.

Agreed. I'm saying the same thing. Problem is there just aren't that many interior defensive lineman that can collapse the pocket. We certainly could use one or two though.

Ziggy
02-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Another guy that can collapse the pocket is Paul Soliai, who happens to be an UFA. I guess we'll find out soon whether or not the Broncos are going to re-sign Bunk or go bigger in FA/draft at NT.