PDA

View Full Version : Why do the Broncos not air it out?

lex
10-15-2007, 07:49 PM
There seems to be two schools of thought for why the play calling isnt more aggressive. What do you think is the biggest reason for the conservative playcalling?

Stargazer
10-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Shanny built the offense in the offseason to run. See Henry/Graham. Probably protecting the young QB and not forcing his young QB to pass every down. Also, the loss of Walker hasn't helped to open up. Marshall is becoming that huge playmaker this team desperately needs, but he'd be even more dangerous with Walker on the other side.

Off-topic. Brandon Marshall is BabyTO. He is showing super young talent on the field for a second year player.

Astrass
10-15-2007, 08:24 PM
I think it's a combo of a few factors. Receiving core is banged up, very young QB, O line is banged up.

TXBRONC
10-15-2007, 09:27 PM
It's not that Shanahan is afraid to air out or that he built this team to be even more run oriented, it's simply they haven't had much opportunity to do so given the problems on defense.

Lonestar
10-15-2007, 10:21 PM
It's not that Shanahan is afraid to air out or that he built this team to be even more run oriented, it's simply they haven't had much opportunity to do so given the problems on defense.

Your correct also given the fact that up until the beginning of the season Marshall was coming back from an injury, Stokely also if I remember correctly.
The TE's are new and with Scheffler having the broken foot prior to TC he was not around much also. Who is Jay gonna play catch with?

One also has to have some time on the field right now the TOP is lopsided.

JAX 38:42 vs 21.18

omac
10-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Your correct also given the fact that up until the beginning of the season Marshall was coming back from an injury, Stokely also if I remember correctly.
The TE's are new and with Scheffler having the broken foot prior to TC he was not around much also. Who is Jay gonna play catch with?

One also has to have some time on the field right now the TOP is lopsided.

JAX 38:42 vs 21.18

Agree with everything, specially the time of possesion.

Also, no matter how well designed a pass play is, it's always riskier than a run play. Even if it doesn't result in a turnover, it could still account for 0 yardage, while most run plays can account for even minimal yardage so that the down isn't totally wasted. Because of the weakness in the defense, the offense is put under extreme pressure to make every down count. A stronger defense allows the offense to take more chances with confidence.

Retired_Member_001
10-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Becuase our offensive line sucks.

If we air it out against the Steelers, Cutler will be sacked 10 times. If your going to air it out, your going to have to be able to air it out against the good teams.

Lonestar
10-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Becuase our offensive line sucks.

If we air it out against the Steelers, Cutler will be sacked 10 times. If your going to air it out, your going to have to be able to air it out against the good teams.

The OLINE was bad at drop back passing before all the injuries.. I fear that Jay will come away from this season like Steve Tensi did back when he was a QB, flinching every time the ball was snapped.

Mike
10-16-2007, 12:38 PM
The OLINE was bad at drop back passing before all the injuries.. I fear that Jay will come away from this season like Steve Tensi did back when he was a QB, flinching every time the ball was snapped.

I am thinking that might be the case after Sunday night. Pittsburgh's defense is scary.

Hold me. :eek:

Lonestar
10-16-2007, 12:57 PM
I am thinking that might be the case after Sunday night. Pittsburgh's defense is scary.

Unless the earth opens up and swallows some of their front seven rack this one up as a loss.

And perhaps another concussion in the making.. If I were mikey I'd start the other guy..

Broncos Mtnman
10-16-2007, 12:58 PM
I think it has to do with the fact that we haven't been 100% at WR or TE yet.

Scheffler out. Walker out. Marshall and Stokely just off of injuries.

I think the bye week (if Walker comes back) will have given us the rest we needed to get our receiving corps back up to snuff.

In addition, the O-line has been inconsistent, and could be more so with the changes at center and left guard.

We have the tools, we just need to be able to use them.

Lonestar
10-16-2007, 01:01 PM
I think it has to do with the fact that we haven't been 100% at WR or TE yet.

Scheffler out. Walker out. Marshall and Stokely just off of injuries.

I think the bye week (if Walker comes back) will have given us the rest we needed to get our receiving corps back up to snuff.

In addition, the O-line has been inconsistent, and could be more so with the changes at center and left guard.

We have the tools, we just need to be use them.

They are tools alright and we have a lots of them.

The problem as I see it is the extreme shake up of an already shaken up OLINE. I fear for Jay safety..

Medford Bronco
10-16-2007, 01:15 PM
I think airing it out is a mistake when this offense is built on running
the ball and play action passes.

You saw what happened when Denver fell behind by a lot :ahhhhh:

Krugan
10-16-2007, 01:31 PM
This will be unpopular but, Jay throws an ugly deep ball.

Jay throws off his backfoot far to often.

Jay throws hard, but not acurately.

Our Oline is meh, at best.

Sadly I think the reason we arent throwing deep, is a combination of the above. More on the kid than the oline. Added to that is our WR arent really exciting deep threats.

arapaho2
10-16-2007, 03:23 PM

well it seems you have a much lower estimation of cutlers abilitiy to mentaly deal with pressure then i do......for i recall he played four years at vandy with some of the most pathetic olines in the game going against some of the best defensive fronts in college football...if that dont toughen you up nothing will, and i have yet to see him flinch or be gunshy

Retired_Member_001
10-16-2007, 03:34 PM

As I say in my new article, the Steelers are the best defense in the NFL (9.4 avg points allowed per game, best in NFL). One of the big reasons for this is their ability to get to the Quarterback. 17 sacks so far this season. Mike Tomlin is a defensive genious aswell. I'd rather Jay Cutler pull a muscle in warm ups than play this one, because if he plays, he will end up like Trent Green.

omac
10-16-2007, 11:54 PM
As I say in my new article, the Steelers are the best defense in the NFL (9.4 avg points allowed per game, best in NFL). One of the big reasons for this is their ability to get to the Quarterback. 17 sacks so far this season. Mike Tomlin is a defensive genious aswell. I'd rather Jay Cutler pull a muscle in warm ups than play this one, because if he plays, he will end up like Trent Green.

Cutler's a little more conditioned to taking hits than Green, but yeah, Cutler has to get rid of the ball as fast as he has all season or he'll be on his back a lot.

broncosfanscott
10-17-2007, 01:55 AM
This will be unpopular but, Jay throws an ugly deep ball.

Jay throws off his backfoot far to often.
Jay throws hard, but not acurately.

Our Oline is meh, at best.

Sadly I think the reason we arent throwing deep, is a combination of the above. More on the kid than the oline. Added to that is our WR arent really exciting deep threats.

I hope he fixes this sometime soon because this is the reason that he can be inaccurate at times with his feet not set. It does work sometimes, yet it is a habit I hope he grows out of.

fcspikeit
10-17-2007, 02:09 AM
When you say air it out do you mean throw more deep balls or just throw the ball more?

I think we need to throw more deep balls if nothing else to open up our running game by backing up the defense.

I have a question though, what is the deal with Jays deep ball? Last year he was throwing the ball 65 yards down field with easy. This year it seems he is always under throwing the receiver on the deep ball. The one he throw against the dolts was pathetic! it only went 50 yards down field. Then again on the INT against the bolts it was under thrown.

Come to think of it I have yet to see him throw the ball over 50 yards this year. Has anyone else noticed this?