PDA

View Full Version : Cap Talk

iLands
02-10-2012, 11:49 PM
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2012/02/nfl-salary-cap-projections-for-2012-season.html

cmc0605
02-11-2012, 01:06 AM
I really hope Denver is smart in Free Agency, but gets some quality pickups. We don't need any all-stars, but some solid names like Meachem, Floyd, etc (not necessarily them or that position, just examples of good, bargain players). They can't be scared to spend a few $ to win.

sneakers
02-11-2012, 01:41 AM
The link you provided didn't have any hats in them.

iLands
02-11-2012, 02:30 AM
Notably, only the Chiefs have more cap space in the division.

TheReverend
02-11-2012, 10:58 AM
They've already said they have internal budgets to work off of this year, so I think any cap information regarding Denver is superfluous.

WARHORSE
02-11-2012, 06:50 PM
They've already said they have internal budgets to work off of this year, so I think any cap information regarding Denver is superfluous.

Huh?

Since we dont know what that budget is, at least it gives us a range of what it may be, no?

Afterall, if we were $2 under the cap....the depth of the 'budget' would probably be seen as small.

Unless of course, big pocket Bowlen decided to give them a $100 million dollar budget with $2 of cap space?

That would be EFX invigorating.:D

TheReverend
02-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Huh?

Since we dont know what that budget is, at least it gives us a range of what it may be, no?

Afterall, if we were $2 under the cap....the depth of the 'budget' would probably be seen as small.

Unless of course, big pocket Bowlen decided to give them a $100 million dollar budget with $2 of cap space?

Not particularly. Our cap # sure as shit had no bearing on what they spent last season. Besides, cap #s are dominantly smoke and mirrors anyway giving just the illusion of financial "competitive balance"

Ziggy
02-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Not particularly. Our cap # sure as shit had no bearing on what they spent last season. Besides, cap #s are dominantly smoke and mirrors anyway giving just the illusion of financial "competitive balance"

Until the 2013 season, when teams have to be within a certain number of the cap. The Broncos budget last season was a cash budget, which means that Bowlen finally got tired of paying dead money and not counting it in the budget along with the salaries and bonuses of active players. I don't blame him a bit. He finally put some accountability on our FO and the contracts they hand out. It's something that every good businessman does. Well, except maybe Daniel Snyder.

TheReverend
02-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Until the 2013 season, when teams have to be within a certain number of the cap. The Broncos budget last season was a cash budget, which means that Bowlen finally got tired of paying dead money and not counting it in the budget along with the salaries and bonuses of active players. I don't blame him a bit. He finally put some accountability on our FO and the contracts they hand out. It's something that every good businessman does. Well, except maybe Daniel Snyder.

That's what I said :) As for the 2013 cap floor: it's still a mirage depending on how creative you want to be with your accounting.

Canmore
02-11-2012, 11:51 PM

These are mutually exclusive. :D

VonSackemMiller
02-12-2012, 05:59 AM
I just hope we pick the right ones who can help this team for 4 5 years, a couple good 25 26 yr old veterans and maybe a couple 2 year guys who only have a couple years left on 2 yr contracts. We dont meed yo go crazy in free agency. A couple 26 yr old good ones anf a,few stop gaps along with the draft works for me. I mean I hope were serious bout winning.

Traveler
02-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Heard Pat Kirwan on Sirius say Denver was almost $50 million under the cap.

Tned
02-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Huh?

The Broncos set a cash budget that's equal to the cap number and that's what they spend that year. So, if the cap number for 2011 was $120 million, then the Broncos allocate that much "cash" to spend on players.

In the case of the Broncos in 2011, a significant amount of that cash was spent on signing bonuses and other bonuses that didn't count against the 2011 cap.

WARHORSE
02-12-2012, 01:46 PM
The Broncos set a cash budget that's equal to the cap number and that's what they spend that year. So, if the cap number for 2011 was $120 million, then the Broncos allocate that much "cash" to spend on players.

In the case of the Broncos in 2011, a significant amount of that cash was spent on signing bonuses and other bonuses that didn't count against the 2011 cap.

So, if we're $50 million under the cap, thats our budget and Bowlen has given Elway and the boys the greenlight to spend it all?

That would make any player a viable aquisition this offseason.

That would be good news if they make wise choices....and bad news if they dont.

(BTW, I was simply responding to the Revs contention that the cap knowledge was superfluous):D

Tned
02-12-2012, 01:54 PM
So, if we're $50 million under the cap, thats our budget and Bowlen has given Elway and the boys the greenlight to spend it all?

That would make any player a viable aquisition this offseason.

That would be good news if they make wise choices....and bad news if they dont.

(BTW, I was simply responding to the Revs contention that the cap knowledge was superfluous):D

$50 mil under the cap means nothing and has nothing to do with next year.

In 2011, the NFL cap was $120 million and is what the Broncos front office had to spend in cash. They spent that, but some of it was spent on prorated signing bonuses, like signing Bailey, and that "cash" will count against the cap in future years.

In 2012, the NFL cap will be something like $125 million, and that is how much "cash" the Broncos front office will have to spend. Depending on how much of that cash is spent on 2012 salaries vs. signing bonuses that have their cap hit prorated over future years, will determine how far below the cap the Broncos are.

Basically, the cap means nothing for the Broncos.

DenBronx
02-12-2012, 02:06 PM
We had 25.6 Mill in cap space last year.

But this is todays article regarding cap rollover. Pretty interesting for all of the people wanting to know more about the cap situation.

New CBA gives teams the right to carry over cap space automatically

Posted by Mike Florio on February 12, 2012, 9:10 AM EST

As the NFL readjusts to the problems that arise from spending that once again will be approaching the annual salary cap, there’s an important provision of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement that needs to be highlighted.

Under Article 13, Section 6(b)(v) of the CBA, each team may carry over any remaining cap room from one year to the next by submitting written notice, signed by the owner of the team, to the league office no later than 14 days before the start of the next league year. The written notice must indicate the maximum amount of cap room that the team wishes to shift from one cap year to the next.

This relatively simple device replaces past tools for carrying over cap space, which included (for example) loading up a renegotiated player contract with a phony “likely to be earned” incentive that would chew up space in one year and then trigger a refund to the cap in the next year.

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/12/new-cba-gives-teams-the-right-to-carry-over-cap-space-automatically/

DenBronx
02-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Heard Pat Kirwan on Sirius say Denver was almost $50 million under the cap.

It's a complete opposite of when Shanahan and Sunquist were here. It's like we were constantly robbing Peter to pay Paul and was always strapped to find bottom feeder free agents.

Nowdays we just sign a few bargain players. With the new CBA rookie contracts are very reasonable to teams and it helps when making a decision to keep the guy with a 2nd contract.

The cap floor I think starts in 2013, where teams must spend 98% or more of the cap. I doubt we will see a free agency splurge until then.

DenBronx
02-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Notably, only the Chiefs have more cap space in the division.

Yes, but I doubt they have near they cash available as the Broncos do. I think our overall revenue it's much greater than theirs and I don't think it's as appealing to free agents.

Maybe not to WRs though...:laugh:

iLands
02-12-2012, 03:40 PM
The cap floor I think starts in 2013, where teams must spend 98% or more of the cap. I doubt we will see a free agency splurge until then.

While reading this information again, something hit me that hadn't.

This cap floor is invoked in year three of our three year rebuild.

Is merely coincidental?

Was this planned as common knowledge and I'm behind the curve?

I am intrigued.

EDIT: @DenBronx - Does anyone know if the allowance to rollover cap space in the CBA was retroactive? I'm asking if we get that potential increase next season or if next season is the one when the rollovers begin.

Also, does the rollover compound from year to year? Hypothetically, say the cap is $125 million and we spend $115 million. We could add that $10 million to the next season to have a cap of $135 million. If we only spend $105 million, would we be able to rollover the difference and have $155 million the following year?

DenBronx
02-12-2012, 04:08 PM
While reading this information again, something hit me that hadn't.

This cap floor is invoked in year three of our three year rebuild.

Is merely coincidental?

Was this planned as common knowledge and I'm behind the curve?

I am intrigued.

EDIT: @DenBronx - Does anyone know if the allowance to rollover cap space in the CBA was retroactive? I'm asking if we get that potential increase next season or if next season is the one when the rollovers begin.

Also, does the rollover compound from year to year? Hypothetically, say the cap is $125 million and we spend $115 million. We could add that $10 million to the next season to have a cap of $135 million. If we only spend $105 million, would we be able to rollover the difference and have $155 million the following year?

I just know the cap floor starts in 2013 for the whole NFL.

I read in late 2011 somewhere that teams are also able to borrow from future cap space if needed. Meaning if a team was 1 or 2 players away from being a championship team and wanted to spend big for a guy like Mario Williams and were already pushing the cap in 2012, they could borrow cap space from 2013 if needed.

Then, I think if you need to rollover the cap you are able to do that as well. Meaning if your on a 3 year rebuilding plan and you want to save room for the future you are able to do that as well.

I could be way off but as of right now that's my understanding.

If any of you are connected with Ted Sunquist on Twitter, he just got a facebook fan page as well. http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ted-Sundquist/103279003100488 He knows all of the ins and outs about the new CBA and if you ever have a question regarding football operations he most likely will respond.

hamrob
02-13-2012, 07:48 PM
The only team that spent less than our Broncos last season...was the Jags.

That's what it's come down to folks....bottom feeders!

Oh wait, "wink, wink"....we're building through the draft! That's right...we're not Cheap...we're building through the draft. :-)

Hear that bird? Cheap, cheap, cheap! Hey, it's a blue and orange Broncos Bird!!!

FanInAZ
02-13-2012, 09:10 PM

Oh wait, "wink, wink"....we're building through the draft! That's right...we're not Cheap...we're building through the draft. :-)

Hear that bird? Cheap, cheap, cheap! Hey, it's a blue and orange Broncos Bird!!!

Can you provide a link for this? The link in the opening post of this thread suggest that Cincinnati had that honor.

DenBronx
02-13-2012, 10:29 PM

Here are the bottom 5 teams. We are #2 in cap space available for 2011.

Remaining 2011 cap space, by team

Posted by Mike Florio on February 12, 2012, 2:59 PM EST

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/12/remaining-2011-cap-space-by-team/
[Editor's note: With teams now able to carry over their excess cap space from one year to the next, here's a look at each team's remaining 2011 cap space, as of February 12, 2012.]

Jaguars: $31.66 million.

Broncos: $27.88 million.

Buccaneers: $25.05 million.

Chiefs: $24.01 million.

Seahawks: $21.27 million.

BUT, Teams can carry it over to the next year as well.